Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Resources / Religious Books and Scriptures
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 04:14 PM
ArcNinja Offline
Religion: Agnostic Atheist
Title:Sophmore Member

Frubals: 12
ArcNinja will work for frubals
Default Any Suggestions?

I'm interested in learning about new religions and such, so can someone recommend me a few really good books that explain these for beginners? I'm mostly interested in Buddhism for now, and I'm going to check into some Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens stuff. What books of theirs would you recommend?

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Lady Guidance Offline
Title:Freshman Member

Frubals: 10
Lady Guidance says, ''Zay 'ello to my little frubalz!

I find most of my research info on line so I don't have to read through or purchase many books. Good luck.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:43 AM
BSM1 Offline
Religion: Jesusonian Buddhist
Title:'A' list denier

Frubals: 381
BSM1 suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalsBSM1 suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalsBSM1 suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalsBSM1 suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalsBSM1 suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalsBSM1 suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubals

Try Buddhism For Dummies. Seriously, it give a good overall understanding of the history and philosophy of Buddhism. It will also give you ideas of where to look for what you want to know.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:16 PM
The Sum of Awe Offline
Religion: Esotericism
Title:Realitarian
Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason: For your creative and innovative contributions to the forum Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats Sum. 

Frubals: 724
The Sum of Awe wants to bulldoze all your frubals to make room for a shopping mallThe Sum of Awe wants to bulldoze all your frubals to make room for a shopping mallThe Sum of Awe wants to bulldoze all your frubals to make room for a shopping mallThe Sum of Awe wants to bulldoze all your frubals to make room for a shopping mallThe Sum of Awe wants to bulldoze all your frubals to make room for a shopping mallThe Sum of Awe wants to bulldoze all your frubals to make room for a shopping mallThe Sum of Awe wants to bulldoze all your frubals to make room for a shopping mallThe Sum of Awe wants to bulldoze all your frubals to make room for a shopping mall

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM1 View Post
Try Buddhism For Dummies. Seriously, it give a good overall understanding of the history and philosophy of Buddhism. It will also give you ideas of where to look for what you want to know.
Really? Hmm, I passed that book so many times. I guess I have a problem with judging a book by its cover.

"I needn't explain my beliefs, they're all around me."
"What helps you sleep at night, might not let you wake up."
The Sum of Awe

"The universe begins to look more and more like a great thought than a great machine." James Jeans
Old 03-10-2013, 11:50 PM
Treks Offline
Religion: Kind-of Sikh-ish
Title:Waiting

Frubals: 105
Treks hopes to be reincarnated as a frubal next time aroundTreks hopes to be reincarnated as a frubal next time aroundTreks hopes to be reincarnated as a frubal next time around

Hello

Sacred Texts can be an interesting place to read about different religions. A lot of the texts are a bit older but nevertheless I've spent lots of time reading there. A lot of the material is quite old though.

Like Lady Guidance, I do most of my reading online. But if you like books, try your local library, sometimes the most enjoyable books are what you find on the shelf by chance while browsing the 100-299s

Last edited by Treks; 03-10-2013 at 11:52 PM..
Old 03-11-2013, 12:01 AM
Me Myself Offline
Religion: what?
Title:Back to my username
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For contributing 10,000 amazing posts! 

Frubals: 927
Me Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual size

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSM1 View Post
I liked that book
Old 03-11-2013, 01:22 AM
Alceste Offline
Religion: Taoish
Title:Vagabond
Shield of Valour: Awarded for heroic and decisive victory in the battlefield of debate - Issue reason:  Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats!! SPECIAL AWARD: Shield of The Silver Tongue: Awarded to a true wordsmith. A master at cleverly expressing themselves to great effect - Issue reason: For always being able to effectively express yourself. 

Frubals: 2753
Alceste was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxAlceste was audited for avoidance of the frubal tax
Alceste was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxAlceste was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxAlceste was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxAlceste was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxAlceste was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxAlceste was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxAlceste was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxAlceste was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxAlceste was audited for avoidance of the frubal tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcNinja View Post
I'm interested in learning about new religions and such, so can someone recommend me a few really good books that explain these for beginners? I'm mostly interested in Buddhism for now, and I'm going to check into some Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens stuff. What books of theirs would you recommend?

Thanks!
I don't recommend either of those writers for learning about dharmic religions. Mostly because it's completely obvious they know absolutely nothing about them. They are both preoccupied with occidental religion, and only mention oriental religion when they feel they cab cherry pick a factoid that affirms whatever points they are making about the pitfalls of occidental religion.

I admit I have not done as much reading on Buddhism as I should have, but I can poach a few of my husband's recommendations. I've read some, but not all, of these.

Zen and the Brain
What Makes You Not a Buddhist
Hare Brain, Tortoise Mind (I read this - fantastic!)

The latter two are light, the first is heavy. The first and third deal with the science relating to meditation. The second is more philosophical.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:03 AM
Magog Offline
Title:A dewdrop

Frubals: 196
Magog is flattered, but likes your frubals as just friends...  not THAT way - sorryMagog is flattered, but likes your frubals as just friends...  not THAT way - sorryMagog is flattered, but likes your frubals as just friends...  not THAT way - sorryMagog is flattered, but likes your frubals as just friends...  not THAT way - sorry

Lord, Zen and the Brain nearly killed me!
Old 03-11-2013, 11:39 AM
crossfire Offline
Religion: nebulous mystic
Title:lazycop-out heretic troll
Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason: For exceptional representation of the beliefs you hold. 

Frubals: 536
crossfire will try to make you laugh hard enough to spew frubals from your nosecrossfire will try to make you laugh hard enough to spew frubals from your nosecrossfire will try to make you laugh hard enough to spew frubals from your nosecrossfire will try to make you laugh hard enough to spew frubals from your nosecrossfire will try to make you laugh hard enough to spew frubals from your nosecrossfire will try to make you laugh hard enough to spew frubals from your nosecrossfire will try to make you laugh hard enough to spew frubals from your nosecrossfire will try to make you laugh hard enough to spew frubals from your nose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magog View Post
Lord, Zen and the Brain nearly killed me!
Sounds like my kind of book! :P

I would highly recommend anything by Thich Nhat Hanh.
Bring your cookies here! The Cookie Cult
Old 03-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Magog Offline
Title:A dewdrop

Frubals: 196
Magog is flattered, but likes your frubals as just friends...  not THAT way - sorryMagog is flattered, but likes your frubals as just friends...  not THAT way - sorryMagog is flattered, but likes your frubals as just friends...  not THAT way - sorryMagog is flattered, but likes your frubals as just friends...  not THAT way - sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
Sounds like my kind of book! :P

I would highly recommend anything by Thich Nhat Hanh.
It didn't kill me in a good way!