Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Everything But the Kitchen Sink / Political Debates
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-18-2009, 08:23 AM
sandandfoam's Avatar
sandandfoam Offline
Religion: All
Title:Theist
Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts. Congrats Stephen. 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ireland
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,088
Frubals: 1650
sandandfoam arranges frubals into maze patterns so kids and small pets get lost
sandandfoam arranges frubals into maze patterns so kids and small pets get lostsandandfoam arranges frubals into maze patterns so kids and small pets get lostsandandfoam arranges frubals into maze patterns so kids and small pets get lostsandandfoam arranges frubals into maze patterns so kids and small pets get lostsandandfoam arranges frubals into maze patterns so kids and small pets get lostsandandfoam arranges frubals into maze patterns so kids and small pets get lostsandandfoam arranges frubals into maze patterns so kids and small pets get lostsandandfoam arranges frubals into maze patterns so kids and small pets get lost
Default What will happen if US/British/Nato forces lose in Afghanistan?

I read today that
Quote:
The British general set to take charge of UK and other Nato forces in southern Afghanistan warned today that time for tackling the Taliban was running out.Major General Nick Carter, who will take charge of 45,000 troops six weeks from now, said there was an opportunity to "make a difference" in the next year but added that forces needed to show "positive trends" as soon as possible.
"I absolutely acknowledge that time is not on our side ... we've got to show positive trends as quickly as we possibly can," Carter told the BBC
source Time running out to tackle Taliban in Afghanistan, British general warns | World news | guardian.co.uk
What'll happen if the Taliban win?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Scarlett Wampus's Avatar
Scarlett Wampus Offline
Religion: curiousity
Title:psychonaut
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Canada
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,208
Frubals: 439
Scarlett Wampus uses cutesy baby talk to say, 'There's my widdle fwubal!  Yez you are!  Yez you are!'Scarlett Wampus uses cutesy baby talk to say, 'There's my widdle fwubal!  Yez you are!  Yez you are!'Scarlett Wampus uses cutesy baby talk to say, 'There's my widdle fwubal!  Yez you are!  Yez you are!'Scarlett Wampus uses cutesy baby talk to say, 'There's my widdle fwubal!  Yez you are!  Yez you are!'Scarlett Wampus uses cutesy baby talk to say, 'There's my widdle fwubal!  Yez you are!  Yez you are!'Scarlett Wampus uses cutesy baby talk to say, 'There's my widdle fwubal!  Yez you are!  Yez you are!'Scarlett Wampus uses cutesy baby talk to say, 'There's my widdle fwubal!  Yez you are!  Yez you are!'
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenw View Post
I haven't a clue! I don't think the threat of terrorism would be any more or less though, perhaps less.

I'm mostly convinced we will lose. The objectives of the war are strategically fanciful and money is tight. Realistically we'd need a very large number of troops occupying the country for an indefinite amount of time. Its not going to happen. The Taliban will survive, dust themselves off and resume their dominance. I think the civilians believe that too so they won't support the occupying forces.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-18-2009, 09:38 AM
Storm's Avatar
Storm Offline
Religion: Rogue Panentheist/ UU
Title:Proud Queer
Shield of Valour: Awarded for heroic and decisive victory in the battlefield of debate - Issue reason:  Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason:  Shield of 40,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 40,000 posts - Issue reason: That's a lot of posts! 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lubbock, TX (sigh)
Gender: Female
Posts: 43,770
Frubals: 2084
Storm just wants to tickle your frubals until they giggle like schoolgirlsStorm just wants to tickle your frubals until they giggle like schoolgirls
Storm just wants to tickle your frubals until they giggle like schoolgirlsStorm just wants to tickle your frubals until they giggle like schoolgirls
Default

I'm not politically astute enough to answer the OP in detail, but I disagree with Scarlett Wampus. Should we fail in Afghanistan, I think the threat of terrorism will be increased, primarily due to resentment over the failed operations.
__________________
We do not fear the night, who have loved the stars so fondly.

Check out my shiny new blog, Knitting In Church!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-18-2009, 09:45 AM
Scarlett Wampus's Avatar
Scarlett Wampus Offline
Religion: curiousity
Title:psychonaut
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Canada
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,208
Frubals: 439
Scarlett Wampus uses cutesy baby talk to say, 'There's my widdle fwubal!  Yez you are!  Yez you are!'Scarlett Wampus uses cutesy baby talk to say, 'There's my widdle fwubal!  Yez you are!  Yez you are!'Scarlett Wampus uses cutesy baby talk to say, 'There's my widdle fwubal!  Yez you are!  Yez you are!'Scarlett Wampus uses cutesy baby talk to say, 'There's my widdle fwubal!  Yez you are!  Yez you are!'Scarlett Wampus uses cutesy baby talk to say, 'There's my widdle fwubal!  Yez you are!  Yez you are!'Scarlett Wampus uses cutesy baby talk to say, 'There's my widdle fwubal!  Yez you are!  Yez you are!'Scarlett Wampus uses cutesy baby talk to say, 'There's my widdle fwubal!  Yez you are!  Yez you are!'
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
I'm not politically astute enough to answer the OP in detail, but I disagree with Scarlett Wampus. Should we fail in Afghanistan, I think the threat of terrorism will be increased, primarily due to resentment over the failed operations.
lol, so you think resentment will be worse afterwards than it is now?
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-18-2009, 09:46 AM
Storm's Avatar
Storm Offline
Religion: Rogue Panentheist/ UU
Title:Proud Queer
Shield of Valour: Awarded for heroic and decisive victory in the battlefield of debate - Issue reason:  Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason:  Shield of 40,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 40,000 posts - Issue reason: That's a lot of posts! 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lubbock, TX (sigh)
Gender: Female
Posts: 43,770
Frubals: 2084
Storm just wants to tickle your frubals until they giggle like schoolgirlsStorm just wants to tickle your frubals until they giggle like schoolgirls
Storm just wants to tickle your frubals until they giggle like schoolgirlsStorm just wants to tickle your frubals until they giggle like schoolgirls
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett Wampus View Post
lol, so you think resentment will be worse afterwards than it is now?
Yeppers. That's not to say it isn't bad now, of course. But it can ALWAYS get worse.
__________________
We do not fear the night, who have loved the stars so fondly.

Check out my shiny new blog, Knitting In Church!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-18-2009, 10:14 AM
YmirGF's Avatar
YmirGF Offline
Religion: Beyond the Light
Title:Bodhisattva
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For reaching the 10k mark 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: An island paradise
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,209
Frubals: 3209
YmirGF gathered frubals and built a frubalman, using olives for eyes to make it creepierYmirGF gathered frubals and built a frubalman, using olives for eyes to make it creepierYmirGF gathered frubals and built a frubalman, using olives for eyes to make it creepier
YmirGF gathered frubals and built a frubalman, using olives for eyes to make it creepierYmirGF gathered frubals and built a frubalman, using olives for eyes to make it creepierYmirGF gathered frubals and built a frubalman, using olives for eyes to make it creepierYmirGF gathered frubals and built a frubalman, using olives for eyes to make it creepierYmirGF gathered frubals and built a frubalman, using olives for eyes to make it creepier
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
Yeppers. That's not to say it isn't bad now, of course. But it can ALWAYS get worse.
Exactly. Tell that to anyone who has prayed for a new boss and then got a new boss... only to wish they had the old boss back.
__________________
It is true that the early bird gets the worm, however, it is the second mouse, that gets the cheese.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-18-2009, 10:33 AM
Seyorni's Avatar
Seyorni Offline
Religion: Vedanta
Title:Hallowed Member
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: Fot 10,000 posts. Congrats Sey! 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SW USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,614
Frubals: 1993
Seyorni always gets misty with a good rags-to-frubals story
Seyorni always gets misty with a good rags-to-frubals storySeyorni always gets misty with a good rags-to-frubals storySeyorni always gets misty with a good rags-to-frubals storySeyorni always gets misty with a good rags-to-frubals storySeyorni always gets misty with a good rags-to-frubals storySeyorni always gets misty with a good rags-to-frubals storySeyorni always gets misty with a good rags-to-frubals storySeyorni always gets misty with a good rags-to-frubals storySeyorni always gets misty with a good rags-to-frubals story
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
I'm not politically astute enough to answer the OP in detail, but I disagree with Scarlett Wampus. Should we fail in Afghanistan, I think the threat of terrorism will be increased, primarily due to resentment over the failed operations.
Resentment? Resentment by whom? The US Republican party is the only group I can think of offhand that might resent our disengagement, but you mention terrorism, so I suspect you're referring to some other group.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-18-2009, 10:38 AM
Storm's Avatar
Storm Offline
Religion: Rogue Panentheist/ UU
Title:Proud Queer
Shield of Valour: Awarded for heroic and decisive victory in the battlefield of debate - Issue reason:  Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason:  Shield of 40,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 40,000 posts - Issue reason: That's a lot of posts! 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lubbock, TX (sigh)
Gender: Female
Posts: 43,770
Frubals: 2084
Storm just wants to tickle your frubals until they giggle like schoolgirlsStorm just wants to tickle your frubals until they giggle like schoolgirls
Storm just wants to tickle your frubals until they giggle like schoolgirlsStorm just wants to tickle your frubals until they giggle like schoolgirls
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seyorni View Post
Resentment? Resentment by whom? The US Republican party is the only group I can think of offhand that might resent our disengagement, but you mention terrorism, so I suspect you're referring to some other group.
The Afghani people. As I understand it, we're far from done rebuilding.
__________________
We do not fear the night, who have loved the stars so fondly.

Check out my shiny new blog, Knitting In Church!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-18-2009, 10:43 AM
Seyorni's Avatar
Seyorni Offline
Religion: Vedanta
Title:Hallowed Member
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: Fot 10,000 posts. Congrats Sey! 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: SW USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,614
Frubals: 1993
Seyorni always gets misty with a good rags-to-frubals story
Seyorni always gets misty with a good rags-to-frubals storySeyorni always gets misty with a good rags-to-frubals storySeyorni always gets misty with a good rags-to-frubals storySeyorni always gets misty with a good rags-to-frubals storySeyorni always gets misty with a good rags-to-frubals storySeyorni always gets misty with a good rags-to-frubals storySeyorni always gets misty with a good rags-to-frubals storySeyorni always gets misty with a good rags-to-frubals storySeyorni always gets misty with a good rags-to-frubals story
Default

The Afghanis don't want us there. They don't want the "Taliban" either. They complain that every time we show up they're in danger. We're a conflict magnet.
They just want to be left alone to live their traditional feudal lives.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Storm's Avatar
Storm Offline
Religion: Rogue Panentheist/ UU
Title:Proud Queer
Shield of Valour: Awarded for heroic and decisive victory in the battlefield of debate - Issue reason:  Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason:  Shield of 40,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 40,000 posts - Issue reason: That's a lot of posts! 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Lubbock, TX (sigh)
Gender: Female
Posts: 43,770
Frubals: 2084
Storm just wants to tickle your frubals until they giggle like schoolgirlsStorm just wants to tickle your frubals until they giggle like schoolgirls
Storm just wants to tickle your frubals until they giggle like schoolgirlsStorm just wants to tickle your frubals until they giggle like schoolgirls
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seyorni View Post
The Afghanis don't want us there. They don't want the "Taliban" either. They complain that every time we show up they're in danger. We're a conflict magnet.
They just want to be left alone to live their traditional feudal lives.
I think it's a mistake to assume such unanimity.

Even if that's the case, there must be some who consider us the lesser evil, and would resent being abandoned. We're in now, we can't just bail because it's not a walk in the park.
__________________
We do not fear the night, who have loved the stars so fondly.

Check out my shiny new blog, Knitting In Church!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:18 PM.


Copyright © 2014 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.