Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Everything But the Kitchen Sink / Political Debates
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 03-01-2008, 10:50 AM
doppelgänger's Avatar
doppelgänger Offline
Title:Through the Looking Glass
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason: This scolarship award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: You have acheived over 10,000 posts here at RF. Congrats Brendan! 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: In your mind
Gender: Male
Posts: 15,845
Frubals: 2349
doppelgänger loves that little tingle you get right before a big frubaldoppelgänger loves that little tingle you get right before a big frubal
doppelgänger loves that little tingle you get right before a big frubaldoppelgänger loves that little tingle you get right before a big frubaldoppelgänger loves that little tingle you get right before a big frubaldoppelgänger loves that little tingle you get right before a big frubaldoppelgänger loves that little tingle you get right before a big frubaldoppelgänger loves that little tingle you get right before a big frubal
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomspug View Post
Because, you know, feelings are delusional and misleading.
Ummm . . . no.

Feelings are feelings. Some people feel a visceral reaction to the concept of abortion and some do not. The rationale one way or the other follows these feelings. There is no "logical solution" to differences that stem from aesthetic feelings.

So people feel very differently from one another about things, and so the reasons that are conjured up to fit those feelings will seem true or not true depending on the feelings.

Because you feel very threatened by me for some reason, you assume that what I wrote means that I seek to negate your feelings. I can assure you that I do not and cannot negate your feelings. You feel what you feel, and that's your prerogative. So relax, dude.
__________________
Uncertainty is love. Not knowing is God.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-01-2008, 12:13 PM
lilithu's Avatar
lilithu Offline
Religion: UU / "Chinese Folk"
Title:The Devil's Advocate
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Webpage Award:  - Issue reason:  Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason: This was awarded to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: You have achieved over 10,000 posts at RF.  Congratulations!! 
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cap City, USA
Gender: Female
Posts: 12,031
Frubals: 1914
lilithu goes around calling people 'frubalphobes'
lilithu goes around calling people 'frubalphobes'lilithu goes around calling people 'frubalphobes'lilithu goes around calling people 'frubalphobes'lilithu goes around calling people 'frubalphobes'lilithu goes around calling people 'frubalphobes'lilithu goes around calling people 'frubalphobes'lilithu goes around calling people 'frubalphobes'lilithu goes around calling people 'frubalphobes'lilithu goes around calling people 'frubalphobes'
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomspug View Post
What is the difference between being pro-gun and pro-choice?
One involves firearms and the other involves foetuses. I've never met anyone who confused the two.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tomspug View Post
Both arguments for these policies cite the Bill of Rights as the basis for their position. Pro-choice cites freedom of choice. Pro-gun cites right to bear arms.
Technically speaking, freedom of choice is not guaranteed in the Bill of Rights (altho I do think it's within the spirit of the Constitution). Roe v. Wade is based on right to privacy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tomspug View Post
The counter-argument to these is similar as well. Pro-life argues that legalized abortion ends life and puts women at risk. Pro-gun control argues that legalized arms ends life and puts families at risk.
Actually, the research shows that carrying the pregnancy to term puts women at greater risk than abortion does. Of course, women who want the pregnancies are quite willing to take that risk.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tomspug View Post
I find it strange that one argument is seen as being leftist and the other as being on the right when BOTH arguments are technically libertarian views (civil liberties vs. government control).
I dunno. I'm very much a leftist and I have no problem with a moderate form of gun control while still preserving our right to bear arms, as well as a moderate form of abortion control while still preserving a woman's right to choose. The idea that either one of these issues should be all or nothing - absolutely illegal or anything goes - is preposterous.



Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasApple View Post
I'll tell you something that really twist my nerves....Why is the woman made to be 100% the demon ???...I know a lot of women that have had abortions..The daddy's werent trying to stop her..In fact most of the women are heavily influenced on the decision based on what kind of support or reaction and or input they get from the father.
Thank you.
__________________
---
FYI: "Chinese Folk" = Pure Land & Ch'an (Zen) Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, and native traditions
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-01-2008, 12:45 PM
DallasApple's Avatar
DallasApple Offline
Religion: Christian
Title:Depends Upon My Mood..
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For Reaching the 10,000 post mark! 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dallas
Gender: Female
Posts: 18,418
Frubals: 1503
DallasApple denies persistent rumors of frubal enhancement surgery
DallasApple denies persistent rumors of frubal enhancement surgeryDallasApple denies persistent rumors of frubal enhancement surgeryDallasApple denies persistent rumors of frubal enhancement surgeryDallasApple denies persistent rumors of frubal enhancement surgeryDallasApple denies persistent rumors of frubal enhancement surgeryDallasApple denies persistent rumors of frubal enhancement surgeryDallasApple denies persistent rumors of frubal enhancement surgeryDallasApple denies persistent rumors of frubal enhancement surgery
Default

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasApple
I'll tell you something that really twist my nerves....Why is the woman made to be 100% the demon ???...I know a lot of women that have had abortions..The daddy's werent trying to stop her..In fact most of the women are heavily influenced on the decision based on what kind of support or reaction and or input they get from the father.

Thank you.
Your quite welcome, my pleasure,and anytime..

Blessings

Dallas
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-01-2008, 10:17 PM
Autodidact's Avatar
Autodidact Offline
Religion: atheist
Title:Intentionally Blank
Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason:  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Denver
Gender: Female
Posts: 23,260
Frubals: 1582
Autodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassy
Autodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassyAutodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassyAutodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassyAutodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassyAutodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassyAutodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassyAutodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassyAutodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomspug View Post
Because, you know, feelings are delusional and misleading. It's a good thing we have our intellect or we'd be chest-thumping neanderthals. Right, dopp?
Well, it's not that feelings are delusional, they're just feelings. They're not conclusions, arguments, reason or result. They're data. I mean, I don't think people are deluded about what they feel, but it would be perilous to leap from feeling a certain way to believing that represents a truth outside of that feeling. Better to rely on evidence and logic for that.
__________________
Lighthouses are more useful than churches.
Benjamin Franklin

Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-01-2008, 11:12 PM
Smoke's Avatar
Smoke Offline
Title:Done here.
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: You have achieved over 10,000 posts at RF. Congratulations!! 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Gender: Male
Posts: 19,902
Frubals: 3290
Smoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubalsSmoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubalsSmoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubals
Smoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubalsSmoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubalsSmoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubalsSmoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubalsSmoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubals
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasApple View Post
I'll tell you something that really twist my nerves..When a man and a woman concieve a child and they go full term have the baby and raise it its "we are pregnant" and "we are having a baby". and this is "our child".but if its mutually agreed upon and even in some cases at the insistance or pressure by the father to abort its "she had an abortion"with no justification whatsoever and no mention of the fathers involvment .
I know this isn't really your point, but it always grates on my nerves when people say "we're pregnant" anyway. It's really good that you share your lives so deeply and everything, but she's pregnant. Unless Daddy actually has a fetus inside him, he's not.
__________________


"If you don't believe that Puerto Rican Americans ought to be able to get married in this country, you are a bigot. If you don't think African Americans should be allowed in the military, you are a bigot. If you think it ought to be legal to refuse to hire Asian Americans, you are a bigot. And in case you're missing the point, there's only one group in America against whom the bigots are winning in all three areas."
-Michael Dixon
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-02-2008, 08:34 AM
DallasApple's Avatar
DallasApple Offline
Religion: Christian
Title:Depends Upon My Mood..
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For Reaching the 10,000 post mark! 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Dallas
Gender: Female
Posts: 18,418
Frubals: 1503
DallasApple denies persistent rumors of frubal enhancement surgery
DallasApple denies persistent rumors of frubal enhancement surgeryDallasApple denies persistent rumors of frubal enhancement surgeryDallasApple denies persistent rumors of frubal enhancement surgeryDallasApple denies persistent rumors of frubal enhancement surgeryDallasApple denies persistent rumors of frubal enhancement surgeryDallasApple denies persistent rumors of frubal enhancement surgeryDallasApple denies persistent rumors of frubal enhancement surgeryDallasApple denies persistent rumors of frubal enhancement surgery
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
I know this isn't really your point, but it always grates on my nerves when people say "we're pregnant" anyway. It's really good that you share your lives so deeply and everything, but she's pregnant. Unless Daddy actually has a fetus inside him, he's not.
I think it sounds silly too.."we are having a baby" is how I grew up..that term "we are pregnant" wasnt around when I was carrying.But to each his own..

Blessings

Dallas
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-02-2008, 09:50 AM
Panda's Avatar
Panda Offline
Title:42?
Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: For going above and beyond Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason:  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Scotland
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,233
Frubals: 850
Panda makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messagePanda makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messagePanda makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messagePanda makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messagePanda makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messagePanda makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messagePanda makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messagePanda makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messagePanda makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal message
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomspug View Post
What is the difference between being pro-gun and pro-choice?

Both arguments for these policies cite the Bill of Rights as the basis for their position. Pro-choice cites freedom of choice. Pro-gun cites right to bear arms.

The counter-argument to these is similar as well. Pro-life argues that legalized abortion ends life and puts women at risk. Pro-gun control argues that legalized arms ends life and puts families at risk.

One could argue that making guns illegal does not stop criminals from obtaining weapons, it only takes from normal citizens the option of protecting themselves. One could argue that making abortion illegal does not stop women from having them, it only forces them to find more dangerous means of aborting a child.

I find it strange that one argument is seen as being leftist and the other as being on the right when BOTH arguments are technically libertarian views (civil liberties vs. government control).
Simple, I do not see a fetus as being a sentient being. I don't think hunting is wrong so I don't believe abortion is wrong.
__________________
"A civilised man should always know when to get drunk"
Arthur C Clarke
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Draka's Avatar
Draka Offline
Religion: My Inner Dragon
Title:Cylon Skin Job
Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason: For your excellent contributions over the years Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For sharing 100 X 100 thoughts! 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Iowa
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,187
Frubals: 2334
Draka worries about being fired for fuballing at workDraka worries about being fired for fuballing at work
Draka worries about being fired for fuballing at workDraka worries about being fired for fuballing at workDraka worries about being fired for fuballing at workDraka worries about being fired for fuballing at workDraka worries about being fired for fuballing at workDraka worries about being fired for fuballing at work
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
Simple, I do not see a fetus as being a sentient being. I don't think hunting is wrong so I don't believe abortion is wrong.
I didn't realize that hunting and abortion went hand in hand. I've never seen them put together that way.

See, I am against hunting "for sport". The idea of going out and killing an innocent animal just living its life in the wild for "fun" just sickens me. Now, if you are honestly starving without that food, then it is excusable. However, the excuse that you hunt for "sport" but you still eat what you kill doesn't fly with me. You didn't need it, you are trying to justify your killing spree is all.

I am personally pro-life in my own life. I have never been in, and cannot fathom a situation that may arise in my life where I would consider having an abortion. I have lost children and couldn't personally make that call. HOWEVER, just because my life has been dealt certain circumstances doesn't mean that everyone has those same circumstances. I can realize that abortion may well be the best, or only, option available for some. I had a friend who once had an abortion while dealing with serious problems surrounding the pregnancy and her family. I have no idea what I may have done in her situation, and I may well have done exactly what she did if I led her life. That being said, I am quite adamently pro-choice when it comes to other people's lives. What I may be able to decide in my life just may not be possible for others. If more people could see that and hold that frame of mind, then there would be a lot less arguing and picketing and condescending remarks all around.
__________________
Debating some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good at playing chess you are, the pigeon is just going to knock down all the pieces, poop on the board, and walk around all triumphant.

If extreme stupidity could be declared a form of torture, I'd turn you in.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-02-2008, 10:29 AM
tomspug's Avatar
tomspug Offline
Religion: Christianity
Title:Absorbant
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Roseville, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,247
Frubals: 483
tomspug has no idea we replaced all these frubals with replicastomspug has no idea we replaced all these frubals with replicastomspug has no idea we replaced all these frubals with replicastomspug has no idea we replaced all these frubals with replicastomspug has no idea we replaced all these frubals with replicastomspug has no idea we replaced all these frubals with replicastomspug has no idea we replaced all these frubals with replicas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelgänger View Post
Ummm . . . no.

Feelings are feelings. Some people feel a visceral reaction to the concept of abortion and some do not. The rationale one way or the other follows these feelings. There is no "logical solution" to differences that stem from aesthetic feelings.

So people feel very differently from one another about things, and so the reasons that are conjured up to fit those feelings will seem true or not true depending on the feelings.

Because you feel very threatened by me for some reason, you assume that what I wrote means that I seek to negate your feelings. I can assure you that I do not and cannot negate your feelings. You feel what you feel, and that's your prerogative. So relax, dude.
The point I was making was that this is a moral issue. All laws are based on moral issues. While logic is helpful in interpreting the law, it is our moral convictions that create them. So looking at life from a completely logical perspective while belittling the moral issue is simply contrary to the very basis of our system of law.

If you want to argue about the value of life, then maybe we should start questioning whether ANY law is worth having.

(Also, I have nothing against you personally, so you don't need to worry about that. We just tend to clash on a lot of issues. I apologize for not elaborating earlier on this point. I realize that simple statements like that can be taken the wrong way. Sorry! )

Last edited by tomspug; 03-02-2008 at 10:32 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Panda's Avatar
Panda Offline
Title:42?
Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: For going above and beyond Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason:  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Scotland
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,233
Frubals: 850
Panda makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messagePanda makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messagePanda makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messagePanda makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messagePanda makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messagePanda makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messagePanda makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messagePanda makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messagePanda makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal message
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draka View Post
I didn't realize that hunting and abortion went hand in hand. I've never seen them put together that way.
I meant it in the way that I don't see it as wrong in the sense that I consider neither to be killing a human. I don't think I am being very clear :S
__________________
"A civilised man should always know when to get drunk"
Arthur C Clarke
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:58 AM.


Copyright © 2014 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.