Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Discuss Individual Religions (DIR) / Abrahamic Religions DIR / Christianity DIR / Christian Denominations DIR / Protestantism DIR / Pentecostal DIR
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you speak or pray in tongues?
Yes, I speak in tongues. 7 21.88%
Yes, I pray in tongues. 7 21.88%
No, I do not speak in tongues. 23 71.88%
No, I do not pray in tongues. 22 68.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2007, 01:09 PM
Religion: Christian
Title:Pater Familias
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason: This award has been given to your peers and is well deserved. Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of 40,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 40,000 posts - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 3409
angellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubals
angellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubals

I pray "in tounges."
Old 01-03-2007, 01:54 PM
Doodlebug02 Offline
Religion: Liberal Christian
Title:Sophmore Member

Frubals: 45
Doodlebug02 yanked your frubals the wedgie of their lives last night, so they may be a little limpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFH
I neither speak in tongues nor pray in tongues and I've never heard of a modern day LDS member speaking in tongues but I've had, just recently, someone pray over me and speak in tongues through a non-denominational prayer line, not expecting that to happen but it did. It was a neat unexpected experience and a partial interpretation was given, or at least what I thought was an interpretation, so I could to understand what was being said in tongues.

Joseph Smith and Brigham Young both had experiences with speaking and praying in tongues, but it is all but disappeared from the church today.
Ah okay. I did not know this. Thank you for the information!
Old 01-03-2007, 02:01 PM
RevOxley_501 Offline
Religion: Ex-Christian, Atheist
Title:Senior Member

Frubals: 150
RevOxley_501 tries to work the phrase, 'more fun than a barrel of frubals' into every conversationRevOxley_501 tries to work the phrase, 'more fun than a barrel of frubals' into every conversationRevOxley_501 tries to work the phrase, 'more fun than a barrel of frubals' into every conversation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFH
I neither speak in tongues nor pray in tongues and I've never heard of a modern day LDS member speaking in tongues but I've had, just recently, someone pray over me and speak in tongues through a non-denominational prayer line, not expecting that to happen but it did. It was a neat unexpected experience and a partial interpretation was given, or at least what I thought was an interpretation, so I could to understand what was being said in tongues.

Joseph Smith and Brigham Young both had experiences with speaking and praying in tongues, but it is all but disappeared from the church today.
im curious to know what you called a nondenom prayer line for

do tell if you like?!?1
Old 01-03-2007, 02:52 PM
FFH Offline
Religion: see LDS.org Mormon.org
Title:BANNED
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For Reaching the 10,000 post mark! 

Frubals: 1345058
FFH says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!FFH says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!FFH says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!FFH says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!FFH says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!FFH says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!FFH says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!FFH says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!FFH says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!FFH says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!FFH says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!FFH says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!FFH says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!FFH says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!FFH says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!
FFH says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!FFH says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!FFH says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!FFH says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!FFH says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!FFH says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!FFH says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!FFH says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!FFH says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevOxley_501
im curious to know what you called a nondenom prayer line for

do tell if you like?!?1
I felt I needed a non-biased person, someone who didn't know me, to pray over me, and possibly give me a different perspective of my particular situation, other than what those around me were giving me. I had been struggling with doubts about the way my life was headed and it was getting harder and harder to stay positive. Just needed someone other than those around me to pray for me. I felt it would help me with my faith, give me strength, and encourage me and it did.

We are all in the same body of Christ and can help each other out where needed, especially by praying for one another.

I think it's important to step outside our particular faith sometimes and allow others to pray for us regardless of their particular Christian background, if just to give ourselves another perspective.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:14 PM
*Paul* Offline
Title:Jesus loves you

Frubals: 191
*Paul* thinks frubals are the most fun you can have without a goat and some Jello*Paul* thinks frubals are the most fun you can have without a goat and some Jello*Paul* thinks frubals are the most fun you can have without a goat and some Jello*Paul* thinks frubals are the most fun you can have without a goat and some Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly
Wow. Believe me when I say you need to try a different Pentecostal service. Not all Pentecostal services are like that. I'd venture to say that most aren't.
The pentecostal church I grew up in was doctrinally sound for a while, they adhered to the commands of scripture on how we are to conduct ourselves when we meet together and on how the gifts and for what purpose the gifts of the Spirit were used. Then something happened, men started coming in who were no longer speaking of heaven but about the world, no longer setting your affection on things above but instead you can have it all now. No longer was the bible the sole rule for deciding church practice but God was doing a new thing that He wanted everyone to get on board with. Hymns were being used less and less and replaced with shallow repetative hypnotic choruses. Those who questioned things got called dividers, pharisees and generally people who were not Spirit filled.
Teachings came in wherby it was claimed that as faith is the force that God used to create the world we can now tap into that same power and speak into being the things that we want, you just had to get a right vision of it and have faith in your faith, (Yongi cho).
And worst of all the Toronto experience I can't think of another so called move of the Spirit that has caused so much division in modern days as this, this was the straw that broke the camels back and has infected most pentecostalism in the U.K. My family (I was 12) and some others left that church in protest.
I praise God for the few biblical teachers that stood against these errors even when it meant personal loss, their reward is surely in heaven as they turned many to righteosuness.

I tell you now if I could find a pentecostal church that submitted to the authority of the teachings of Jesus and the apostles i would go to it.
Psalms 83:18 That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.

Last edited by *Paul*; 01-03-2007 at 04:16 PM..
Old 01-03-2007, 04:19 PM
*Paul* Offline

*Paul* thinks frubals are the most fun you can have without a goat and some Jello*Paul* thinks frubals are the most fun you can have without a goat and some Jello*Paul* thinks frubals are the most fun you can have without a goat and some Jello*Paul* thinks frubals are the most fun you can have without a goat and some Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckysoup61
So only Pentecostals can experience this? I'm not trying to start a debate, but I'm curious.
No Becky and it also happens in other religions and the occult.
Psalms 83:18 That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:26 PM
dawny0826 Online!
Title:Theist
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason: Your peers have nominated you for the kindness award, and it's well deserved. Tolerance Award:  - Issue reason: Your peers have nominated you for the tolerance award, and it's well deserved. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 amazing posts! 

Frubals: 1695
dawny0826 urges you to use your frubals for good and not evil
dawny0826 urges you to use your frubals for good and not evildawny0826 urges you to use your frubals for good and not evildawny0826 urges you to use your frubals for good and not evildawny0826 urges you to use your frubals for good and not evildawny0826 urges you to use your frubals for good and not evildawny0826 urges you to use your frubals for good and not evildawny0826 urges you to use your frubals for good and not evildawny0826 urges you to use your frubals for good and not evil

I have and probably will in the future.

I pray and speak in tongues.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:32 PM
Bishka Offline
Religion: Christian - LDS
Title:BANNED
Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason: This was given to you by your peers based on the numerous, quality thread you have created. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: This was given to your for the milestone of reaching 10,000 posts. 

Frubals: 855920
Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!
Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Paul*
No Becky and it also happens in other religions and the occult.
So how do you determine if it's of the 'occult' kind or not? Trust your judgement?
Old 01-03-2007, 04:55 PM
*Paul* Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckysoup61
So how do you determine if it's of the 'occult' kind or not? Trust your judgement?
Well i guess it's in whose name you do it in if you are praying to the God of the bible then it would not be occultic. Also if the interpretation of it is not contradictory to Gods word, that would definatly not be from the Holy SPirit, therefore would be of the flesh or a decieving spirit. My point was that is not in itself a proof of Godly spirituality and has been a bridge (not that this concerns you) in ecumenism.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:11 PM
Doodlebug02 Offline
Religion: Liberal Christian
Title:Sophmore Member

Frubals: 45
Doodlebug02 yanked your frubals the wedgie of their lives last night, so they may be a little limpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Paul*
The pentecostal church I grew up in was doctrinally sound for a while, they adhered to the commands of scripture on how we are to conduct ourselves when we meet together and on how the gifts and for what purpose the gifts of the Spirit were used. Then something happened, men started coming in who were no longer speaking of heaven but about the world, no longer setting your affection on things above but instead you can have it all now. No longer was the bible the sole rule for deciding church practice but God was doing a new thing that He wanted everyone to get on board with. Hymns were being used less and less and replaced with shallow repetative hypnotic choruses. Those who questioned things got called dividers, pharisees and generally people who were not Spirit filled.
Teachings came in wherby it was claimed that as faith is the force that God used to create the world we can now tap into that same power and speak into being the things that we want, you just had to get a right vision of it and have faith in your faith, (Yongi cho).
And worst of all the Toronto experience I can't think of another so called move of the Spirit that has caused so much division in modern days as this, this was the straw that broke the camels back and has infected most pentecostalism in the U.K. My family (I was 12) and some others left that church in protest.
I praise God for the few biblical teachers that stood against these errors even when it meant personal loss, their reward is surely in heaven as they turned many to righteosuness.

I tell you now if I could find a pentecostal church that submitted to the authority of the teachings of Jesus and the apostles i would go to it.
I am sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience.