Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Everything But the Kitchen Sink / Political Debates / North American Politics
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2014, 01:49 PM
metis Offline
Religion: Jewish Naturalism
Title:Lofty Member

Frubals: 370
metis forgot to mention that frubals can be harmful if swallowedmetis forgot to mention that frubals can be harmful if swallowedmetis forgot to mention that frubals can be harmful if swallowedmetis forgot to mention that frubals can be harmful if swallowedmetis forgot to mention that frubals can be harmful if swallowedmetis forgot to mention that frubals can be harmful if swallowed

[quote=Revoltingest;3658377]

But at least he doesn't hide bias, the way outfits like NPR do, claiming to be without it.
/QUOTE]

What about the "fair and balanced" claim?
Old 02-07-2014, 01:52 PM
Revoltingest Offline
Religion: Ignorant Atheist
Title:Certified Most Cunning
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of 50,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 50,000 posts - Issue reason: For making 50,000 posts (limericks and bacon pictures included)! 

Frubals: 3173
Revoltingest is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkRevoltingest is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkRevoltingest is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television network
Revoltingest is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkRevoltingest is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkRevoltingest is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkRevoltingest is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television network

[quote=metis;3658416]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoltingest View Post
But at least he doesn't hide bias, the way outfits like NPR do, claiming to be without it.
/QUOTE]
What about the "fair and balanced" claim?
That's Fox's slogan, not Breitbart's.
But that claim is less ambitious than NPR's claim they're "neutral".
Old 02-07-2014, 01:52 PM
metis Offline
Religion: Jewish Naturalism
Title:Lofty Member

Frubals: 370
metis forgot to mention that frubals can be harmful if swallowedmetis forgot to mention that frubals can be harmful if swallowedmetis forgot to mention that frubals can be harmful if swallowedmetis forgot to mention that frubals can be harmful if swallowedmetis forgot to mention that frubals can be harmful if swallowedmetis forgot to mention that frubals can be harmful if swallowed

Gotta remember that Fox is really the only right-wing t.v. "news" channel, so one should expect it to draw more because the others have to split the audience that really wants news.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:06 PM
Dirty Penguin Offline
Religion: Common Sense
Title:Master Of Ceremony
Shield of Valour: Awarded for heroic and decisive victory in the battlefield of debate - Issue reason: For your consistent skill in debating different topics. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts. Congrats!! 

Frubals: 455
Dirty Penguin was injured trying to leap tall piles of frubals in a single bound, superhero styleDirty Penguin was injured trying to leap tall piles of frubals in a single bound, superhero styleDirty Penguin was injured trying to leap tall piles of frubals in a single bound, superhero styleDirty Penguin was injured trying to leap tall piles of frubals in a single bound, superhero styleDirty Penguin was injured trying to leap tall piles of frubals in a single bound, superhero styleDirty Penguin was injured trying to leap tall piles of frubals in a single bound, superhero styleDirty Penguin was injured trying to leap tall piles of frubals in a single bound, superhero style

Quote:
Originally Posted by metis View Post
Again, Maddow hits me at a bad time, but she's very brilliant. She was on Meet the Press during the 2012 campaign, and tackled one of the Republican representatives, and you could tell that he wanted that discussion to end, and end quickly. In a nice way, she shredded him one way and then the other, with the most damaging part being his voting record versus his actual actions, such as voting against the stimulus but then showing up at a project created by the stimulus and speaking about how this project (but not giving credit to the stimulus) was going to help his state. BTW, Boehner did the exact same thing in his district down in southern Ohio.
So did Paul Ryan and many other Republicans bashing the stimulus but dipping their fingers all in the cookie jar...
Old 02-07-2014, 02:32 PM
esmith Offline
Religion: Noahide
Title:Esteemed Member

Frubals: 129
esmith started a frubal farmesmith started a frubal farmesmith started a frubal farm

Quote:
Originally Posted by metis View Post
Gotta remember that Fox is really the only right-wing t.v. "news" channel, so one should expect it to draw more because the others have to split the audience that really wants news.
How do you account for the following?

TV Is Americans' Main Source of News
Old 02-07-2014, 02:34 PM
Dirty Penguin Offline
Shield of Valour: Awarded for heroic and decisive victory in the battlefield of debate - Issue reason: For your consistent skill in debating different topics. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts. Congrats!! 

Dirty Penguin was injured trying to leap tall piles of frubals in a single bound, superhero styleDirty Penguin was injured trying to leap tall piles of frubals in a single bound, superhero styleDirty Penguin was injured trying to leap tall piles of frubals in a single bound, superhero styleDirty Penguin was injured trying to leap tall piles of frubals in a single bound, superhero styleDirty Penguin was injured trying to leap tall piles of frubals in a single bound, superhero styleDirty Penguin was injured trying to leap tall piles of frubals in a single bound, superhero styleDirty Penguin was injured trying to leap tall piles of frubals in a single bound, superhero style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoltingest View Post
2009 Acorn undercover videos.
2 fired over alleged tax advice to

New ACORN Video: Undercover Videographers Release Tape Of Philly Visit

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/24/us...corn.html?_r=0

So yes...left wing services reported it and weren't "reluctant" to.

But consider this....

Breitbart confirms he was duped by O'Keefe and the ACORN pimp hoax | Research | Media Matters for America

Sherrod Hoax Exposed, but Breitbart's ACORN Fraud Lives On

Maybe those of you on the right found merit to the video.....but I'm finding it hilarious. And it tickles me that you're pushing it as breaking news.....

Considering.....
Andy Breitbart Explains It All For You (The ACORN "Pimp" Hoax) - YouTube

Looks like that even if those on the left were reluctant to present the story they would have had good reason to be reluctant.

Quote:
Sure. But at least he doesn't hide bias, the way outfits like NPR do, claiming to be without it.
Who doesn't have bias...they all do. Some are just more in your face with it. Fox claimed to be ("Fair and balanced") yet we know they aren't. I personally try to read and present articles that aren't so overtly bias. Breitbart is one of those sites that is. Sometimes that outward bias makes it hard to take them serious. Many of their articles read like they were written by inexperienced bloggers inserting their personal opinions. Hey, but that's just my take on them and others like them. As far as NPR I'll have to take your word on that. I don't read or listen to NPR.....

Last edited by Dirty Penguin; 02-07-2014 at 02:41 PM..
Old 02-07-2014, 03:49 PM
Sunstone Offline
Religion: Nature
Title:De Diablo Del Fora
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: Link Exchange project Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason:  Shield of 50,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 50,000 posts - Issue reason: That's enough to fill a book! Congratulations! 

Frubals: 7272
Sunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nest
Sunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Penguin View Post
Who doesn't have bias...they all do.
I love the "they are all biased" argument. To pretend that all sources of news -- even just all corporate sources of news -- are in general equally biased is either intellectually dishonest or grossly naive. Never mind the gross naivety masquerades as profound worldliness.

When people pull the "they are all biased" argument, it so often reminds me of a little boy or girl trying to get away with lying to adults. He or she is usually convinced they've pulled it off. And maybe he or she can with other children. But adults see right through them.

Certainty is a mind killer -- Debater Slayer

The most precious thing in life is its uncertainty. -- Kenko

It has always surprised me how little attention philosophers have paid to humor, since it is a more significant process of mind than reason. Reason can only sort out perceptions, but the humor process is involved in changing them. -- Edward de Bono
Old 02-07-2014, 03:51 PM
Revoltingest Offline
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of 50,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 50,000 posts - Issue reason: For making 50,000 posts (limericks and bacon pictures included)! 

Revoltingest is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkRevoltingest is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkRevoltingest is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television network
Revoltingest is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkRevoltingest is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkRevoltingest is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkRevoltingest is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Penguin View Post
Who doesn't have bias...they all do.
It's like we share one brain!
Old 02-07-2014, 03:52 PM
Revoltingest Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstone View Post
I love the "they are all biased" argument. To pretend that all sources of news -- even just all corporate sources of news -- are in general equally biased is either intellectually dishonest or grossly naive.
This straw man about claiming equality is "intellectually dishonest".
Old 02-07-2014, 04:09 PM
Dirty Penguin Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstone View Post
I love the "they are all biased" argument. To pretend that all sources of news -- even just all corporate sources of news -- are in general equally biased is either intellectually dishonest or grossly naive. Never mind the gross naivety masquerades as profound worldliness.

When people pull the "they are all biased" argument, it so often reminds me of a little boy or girl trying to get away with lying to adults. He or she is usually convinced they've pulled it off. And maybe he or she can with other children. But adults see right through them.
I see what you mean......It think it was my position that they all are bias. I wasn't trying to present an equalizer but simply recognizing that it does exist. There may be some left that report without injecting their bias into their reporting. I've found many over time that don't present their reports like that. It's easy to tell the ones that wear their bias on their sleeves such as Fox and Breitbart, Daily Kos and maybe a few others out there....