Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Everything But the Kitchen Sink / Political Debates / North American Politics
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Meow Mix Offline
Religion: Secular Humanism
Title:Sassypants Kitty
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 761
Meow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by freethinker44 View Post
Wouldn't work. In order to gain maximum profits, companies would have raise prices to offset the cost of higher wages for employees, which would nullify the effect of higher wages. It would work if we enacted profit capping laws though. That would solve that problem.
I'm really conflicted. On one hand people should be free to make profits from their risk. On the other hand, this hypercapitalist "profit at any cost, screw you little guy I don't care if you die in a ditch, I'd rather your children starve than for my income to drop a cent" that has taken over capitalist endeavors is so dehumanizing it's unbearable.

Warming themselves by the ashes and the embers of martyrs, martyrs that they never understood

They will be lost.
Buried in the sands of time,
Relics disgraced from an era forgotten.
Far too consumed by the allure of wealth to be concerned for the backs on which they stood

The weak and broken, the castaways out in the cold
They will be left abandoned by those who claim to care

Those who stand proudly on the wrong side of history:
Mark my words -- your time will come.

The heartless will be the sick and the dying
Left with nowhere to turn

I hope I have the strength to help them in their time of need,
To forgive them, though I know they never would have done the same."

(Misery Signals, "Lost Relics")
Old 11-07-2012, 09:04 PM
Alceste Offline
Religion: Taoish
Title:Vagabond
Shield of Valour: Awarded for heroic and decisive victory in the battlefield of debate - Issue reason:  Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats!! SPECIAL AWARD: Shield of The Silver Tongue: Awarded to a true wordsmith. A master at cleverly expressing themselves to great effect - Issue reason: For always being able to effectively express yourself. 

Frubals: 2870
Alceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this Friday
Alceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meow Mix View Post
I'm really conflicted. On one hand people should be free to make profits from their risk. On the other hand, this hypercapitalist "profit at any cost, screw you little guy I don't care if you die in a ditch, I'd rather your children starve than for my income to drop a cent" that has taken over capitalist endeavors is so dehumanizing it's unbearable.
An honest wage for an honest day's work. Who wants or needs any more than that?
Old 11-07-2012, 09:04 PM
Mr Spinkles Offline
Religion: Humanism
Title:Mr
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of Valour: Awarded for heroic and decisive victory in the battlefield of debate - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts. Congrats Spinks. 

Frubals: 1658
Mr Spinkles arranges frubals into maze patterns so kids and small pets get lost
Mr Spinkles arranges frubals into maze patterns so kids and small pets get lostMr Spinkles arranges frubals into maze patterns so kids and small pets get lostMr Spinkles arranges frubals into maze patterns so kids and small pets get lostMr Spinkles arranges frubals into maze patterns so kids and small pets get lostMr Spinkles arranges frubals into maze patterns so kids and small pets get lostMr Spinkles arranges frubals into maze patterns so kids and small pets get lostMr Spinkles arranges frubals into maze patterns so kids and small pets get lostMr Spinkles arranges frubals into maze patterns so kids and small pets get lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Spinkles View Post
Great Scott! Just thinking about all those taxes made me vomit caviar and lobster bisque all over my maid's face. How can job-creators survive anymore?
Quote:
This made me almost spit water onto my screen!
Well, I'm glad you enjoyed it but Great Zeus' Beard! The mere mention of all those taxes made me spew veal tartar all over my shoeshine boy's back. My monocle flew onto the polar bear rug, my top hat landed on the African rhinoceros bust, and so on.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:30 PM
Meow Mix Offline
Religion: Secular Humanism
Title:Sassypants Kitty
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 761
Meow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alceste View Post
But I agree with that, I was conflicted on how to *solve* the issue. As someone pointed out, if (given the current hypercapitalist, profit-first mindset) companies must pay a living wage to their employees then I believe it's true they *would* just raise prices and thus negate the benefit to the employees rather than miss out on even a single cent of their precious profits.

How to solve that?

Warming themselves by the ashes and the embers of martyrs, martyrs that they never understood

They will be lost.
Buried in the sands of time,
Relics disgraced from an era forgotten.
Far too consumed by the allure of wealth to be concerned for the backs on which they stood

The weak and broken, the castaways out in the cold
They will be left abandoned by those who claim to care

Those who stand proudly on the wrong side of history:
Mark my words -- your time will come.

The heartless will be the sick and the dying
Left with nowhere to turn

I hope I have the strength to help them in their time of need,
To forgive them, though I know they never would have done the same."

(Misery Signals, "Lost Relics")
Old 11-07-2012, 09:49 PM
Alceste Offline
Religion: Taoish
Title:Vagabond
Shield of Valour: Awarded for heroic and decisive victory in the battlefield of debate - Issue reason:  Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats!! SPECIAL AWARD: Shield of The Silver Tongue: Awarded to a true wordsmith. A master at cleverly expressing themselves to great effect - Issue reason: For always being able to effectively express yourself. 

Frubals: 2870
Alceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this Friday
Alceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this Friday

Quote:
But I agree with that, I was conflicted on how to *solve* the issue. As someone pointed out, if (given the current hypercapitalist, profit-first mindset) companies must pay a living wage to their employees then I believe it's true they *would* just raise prices and thus negate the benefit to the employees rather than miss out on even a single cent of their precious profits.

How to solve that?
Incrementally increase the minimum wage in the direction of a living wage. Typically, the problem solves itself. Our minimum wage increase in this province is happening in phases to give business time to adapt. Each year since 2011 it's gone up about $0.75. So, over three years it will go from $8.00 to $10.25. Studies have shown that all the doom and gloom predicted by business owners never seems to happen. Because people at the low end of the wage scale pretty much have to spend all of their income to survive, these wage increases go directly back into the local economy, which is good for everybody's business. Of course, those people are still buying shoes made in China for a dollar an hour, but they're buying them from other people who are making $10.25 an hour, and spending it all locally.

To address the issue of cheap labour, I really think people need to police their own purchasing habits a little better. Part of the drive for cheap goods is stagnant wages. We just can't afford organic, local food and hand-made shoes from the local cobbler. When we earn more, we're more likely to spend a little extra for a more ethical purchase. (Some of us are, anyway).
Old 11-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Religion: Orthodox
Title:BANNED

Frubals: 24
Πολυπέρχων Γʹ invested heavily in the foreign frubal economy

Looks like Baruch Obama had fun celebrating his new election victory:

Obama Bombs Yemen Hours After Winning Reelection « Antiwar.com Blog

Not even a full day had passed before newly reelected President Obama ordered another drone strike in Yemen.

The drone war violates both domestic and international law, and the Obama administration’s vehement disdain for transparency in government is the only thing keeping it from public and legal scrutiny. Beyond the law, it’s terrorism.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Dingbat Offline
Religion: Panentheism
Title:Avatar of Brittania

Frubals: 122
Dingbat stuffs frubals into couch cushions, along with the catsDingbat stuffs frubals into couch cushions, along with the catsDingbat stuffs frubals into couch cushions, along with the cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Πολυπέρχων Γʹ View Post
Looks like Baruch Obama had fun celebrating his new election victory:

Obama Bombs Yemen Hours After Winning Reelection « Antiwar.com Blog

Not even a full day had passed before newly reelected President Obama ordered another drone strike in Yemen.

The drone war violates both domestic and international law, and the Obama administration’s vehement disdain for transparency in government is the only thing keeping it from public and legal scrutiny. Beyond the law, it’s terrorism.
I will give you that the drone strikes are a mess and a horrible extension of Bush Era policy. I think probably the most disturbing part of the election cycle was when Romney and Obama discussed how much they love Drone strikes and that Romney said we should do even more. That is just insane. Unfortunately the only candidates against that policy didn't have a chance in hell.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:40 AM
Reverend Rick Offline
Religion: Universal Life
Title:Retired
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: Ya know, I just kind of assumed everybody up in Redland already got this. Sorry for the over-site Rick. :p Tolerance Award:  - Issue reason:  Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats Rick. :yes: 

Frubals: 3167
Reverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkReverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkReverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television network
Reverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkReverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkReverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkReverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alceste View Post
The thing is, people want so much more than a days pay for a days work. They expect their employer to become their parent giving them a retirement plan, health insurance, paid vacations and holiday pay as well.

You have to pay workers compensation, unemployment, match their social security and medicare.

The truth of the matter is people do not work hard all day long. My formula for my wages is that workers give you about 6 hours work every 8 hours.

My son used to work for me and confronted me about his wages. At the time he was inexperienced and I was paying him 15 dollars an hour. He asked me why other employees made much more than him.

One day we had 100's of light fixtures to hang and the work was repetitive. Each man was working in a different room. At the end of the day, I asked him to walk with me and discuss his wages.

He had hung 16 fixtures that day. We went to other rooms and more experienced men had hung 32 fixtures. I told him lets do the math. The other men at the time where making 25 dollars an hour.

I said son, you cost me 7.50 a fixture to install them. If I paid the other men that much they would be making 30 an hour. You tell me who is making more money than who?
Old 11-08-2012, 07:30 AM
Magic Man Offline
Religion: Trampolinist
Title:Reaper of Conversation
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved.   Congratulations! Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For Reaching the 10,000 post mark! 

Frubals: 1406
Magic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the project
Magic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the projectMagic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the projectMagic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the projectMagic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the projectMagic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the projectMagic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the projectMagic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Rick View Post
The thing is, people want so much more than a days pay for a days work. They expect their employer to become their parent giving them a retirement plan, health insurance, paid vacations and holiday pay as well.

You have to pay workers compensation, unemployment, match their social security and medicare.
Oh gods! You mean they actually want benefits too!? The nerve of them wanting a decent life!

Quote:
The truth of the matter is people do not work hard all day long. My formula for my wages is that workers give you about 6 hours work every 8 hours.
And?

Whom = him, her
Who = he, she
Old 11-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Apex Offline
Religion: LDS
Title:Somewhere Around Nothing

Frubals: 433
Apex will rent out frubals to newer members wanting to impress peopleApex will rent out frubals to newer members wanting to impress peopleApex will rent out frubals to newer members wanting to impress peopleApex will rent out frubals to newer members wanting to impress peopleApex will rent out frubals to newer members wanting to impress peopleApex will rent out frubals to newer members wanting to impress peopleApex will rent out frubals to newer members wanting to impress people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Rick View Post
It is in an employers best interest to give their employees a decent amount of paid vacation. Studies have shown that employees who get regular time off produce higher quality work than those who do not.