Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Everything But the Kitchen Sink / Political Debates / North American Politics
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 09-07-2011, 07:54 PM
Revoltingest's Avatar
Revoltingest Offline
Religion: Ignorant Atheist
Title:Certified Most Cunning
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of 50,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 50,000 posts - Issue reason: For making 50,000 posts (limericks and bacon pictures included)! 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Revoltingistan, MI
Gender: Male
Posts: 55,718
Frubals: 3081
Revoltingest is relieved frubals were on the arkRevoltingest is relieved frubals were on the arkRevoltingest is relieved frubals were on the ark
Revoltingest is relieved frubals were on the arkRevoltingest is relieved frubals were on the ark
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shermana View Post
What are the tangible differences in America's "right-leaning economic systems compared to other developed countries" when its soon to have the world's highest Corporate tax? Hate corporations all you want, the more you tax them, the less jobs there will be.

Highest corporate tax rate | America | Japan | The Daily Caller
Meanwhile, over in England.....
BBC News - Top 50p tax rate damages UK, say economists
__________________
Wirey overcharged me for his haggis flavored poutine!
And he wouldn't give me the senior discount!
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 09-07-2011, 08:18 PM
Penumbra's Avatar
Penumbra Offline
Religion: Philosophy
Title:Administrator
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason: For careful and thorough articulation of your thoughts in your posts over the years. Shield of The Renaissance Woman: Awarded to a real polymath, a person with many talents or interests who contributes greatly to a wide range of discussions and debates - Issue reason: For your knowledge and understanding of a wide variety of topics through the years. Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason: For your excellent knowledge on a variety of different topics Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: Valuable contributions to the forum as a staff member. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For contributing 10,000 posts! SPECIAL AWARD:Shield of the Thinker: Awarded for the remarkable ability to ponder carefully and think critically about all subjects they encounter - Issue reason:  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United States
Gender: Female
Posts: 14,547
Frubals: 1123
Penumbra wants to have frubals declared a soveriegn nation and be their ambassador
Penumbra wants to have frubals declared a soveriegn nation and be their ambassadorPenumbra wants to have frubals declared a soveriegn nation and be their ambassadorPenumbra wants to have frubals declared a soveriegn nation and be their ambassador
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YmirGF View Post
How so? His principles cannot be compromised, apparently. Do you really think the Zebra would forget its stripes?
His view on most social things is "leave it to the states".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shermana View Post
What are the tangible differences in America's "right-leaning economic systems compared to other developed countries" when its soon to have the world's highest Corporate tax? Hate corporations all you want, the more you tax them, the less jobs there will be. 40% tax is right-leaning? If it was 50% would it be centrist?
Highest corporate tax rate | America | Japan | The Daily Caller
It's interesting how you focus in on one small aspect of US tax and use that as your argument. US tax rate is high, at least on paper, and I support reducing it. (In practice, most corporations don't actually pay that federal tax rate, though.)

Most taxes come from elsewhere, such as personal income tax, where we have very low top tax rates compared to both US history, and to other developed countries.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 09-08-2011, 11:51 AM
Shermana's Avatar
Shermana Offline
Religion: Old-Israelite Nazarene
Title:Heretic
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For contributing 10.000 posts. Congrats Shermana! 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,814
Frubals: 314
Shermana is a compulsive frubal lickerShermana is a compulsive frubal lickerShermana is a compulsive frubal lickerShermana is a compulsive frubal lickerShermana is a compulsive frubal lickerShermana is a compulsive frubal licker
Default

Regardless whether most taxes come from personal income or not, a 40% corporate Tax Rate is not exactly a "Right-leaning" business environment. I'd hate to wonder what a left-wing environment would be, especially considering the regulations and hoops businesses already have to go through. And people wonder why they do business in China. Last time I checked, tarriffs and protectionism was more regarded as right wing than left. Trump was the one advocating a 25% increase on Chinese goods, how many Democrats have said such? Factor in the power of Unions and how much of a struggle the right has against them, and it's hard to call the US economic sector anything but leaning left.

Now also, the top 500 companies who get the most government friendliness (aka kickbacks and extremely questionable billions of tax refunds that are worth more than their actual earnings) just happen to be ones like GE that have numerous Democrat friends.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 09-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Penumbra's Avatar
Penumbra Offline
Religion: Philosophy
Title:Administrator
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason: For careful and thorough articulation of your thoughts in your posts over the years. Shield of The Renaissance Woman: Awarded to a real polymath, a person with many talents or interests who contributes greatly to a wide range of discussions and debates - Issue reason: For your knowledge and understanding of a wide variety of topics through the years. Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason: For your excellent knowledge on a variety of different topics Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: Valuable contributions to the forum as a staff member. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For contributing 10,000 posts! SPECIAL AWARD:Shield of the Thinker: Awarded for the remarkable ability to ponder carefully and think critically about all subjects they encounter - Issue reason:  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United States
Gender: Female
Posts: 14,547
Frubals: 1123
Penumbra wants to have frubals declared a soveriegn nation and be their ambassador
Penumbra wants to have frubals declared a soveriegn nation and be their ambassadorPenumbra wants to have frubals declared a soveriegn nation and be their ambassadorPenumbra wants to have frubals declared a soveriegn nation and be their ambassador
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shermana View Post
Regardless whether most taxes come from personal income or not, a 40% corporate Tax Rate is not exactly a "Right-leaning" business environment. I'd hate to wonder what a left-wing environment would be, especially considering the regulations and hoops businesses already have to go through. And people wonder why they do business in China. Last time I checked, tarriffs and protectionism was more regarded as right wing than left. Trump was the one advocating a 25% increase on Chinese goods, how many Democrats have said such? Factor in the power of Unions and how much of a struggle the right has against them, and it's hard to call the US economic sector anything but leaning left.

Now also, the top 500 companies who get the most government friendliness (aka kickbacks and extremely questionable billions of tax refunds that are worth more than their actual earnings) just happen to be ones like GE that have numerous Democrat friends.
Again, businesses almost never actually pay that top rate. Corporations pay much, much lower tax rates usually than the top rate.

Current left-leaning countries typically have low corporate tax rates and higher personal income tax rates, and sometimes substantial excise taxes.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 09-08-2011, 11:58 PM
Requia Offline
Religion: Christian Mad Science
Title:Sophmore Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 399
Frubals: 33
Requia has a pet name for each frubal
Default

I believe the actual corporate tax (or the average anyway) is 25%.
__________________
War is Peace
Security is Freedom
Ignorance is Strength

Level 15 Zombie Killer.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 09-09-2011, 07:27 AM
Reverend Rick's Avatar
Reverend Rick Offline
Religion: Universal Life
Title:Retired
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: Ya know, I just kind of assumed everybody up in Redland already got this. Sorry for the over-site Rick. :p Tolerance Award:  - Issue reason:  Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats Rick. :yes: 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Berea, Kentucky
Gender: Male
Posts: 20,841
Frubals: 3166
Reverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkReverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkReverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television network
Reverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkReverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkReverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkReverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television network
Default

You would think that we should be focused on obtaining more revenue than raising taxes.

Perhaps we should put people back to work and eliminate tax loopholes instead of raising taxes.

The big issue here is people believe the government can create substainable jobs.

If you get right down to the meat of the subject, some folks are engaging in class warfare and cannot stomach the rich getting any richer even though they would increase revenue and put folks back to work.

Government regulation is the real job killer. It is time we faced the hard facts that somewhere in the world, people are going to polute our planet and be gainfully employed.

Living in a fantasy world where green jobs are the answer and utilities are too expensive for anyone to be able to pay is the problem.

We are borrowing money from China to pay for oil from countries who hate us. How stupid is that?
__________________
Life is Short, Eternity is Not.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 09-09-2011, 08:40 AM
no-body's Avatar
no-body Offline
Title:Uber Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Gender: Undisclosed
Posts: 2,657
Frubals: 260
no-body regrets ignoring warnings that too many frubals cause redness and swellingno-body regrets ignoring warnings that too many frubals cause redness and swellingno-body regrets ignoring warnings that too many frubals cause redness and swellingno-body regrets ignoring warnings that too many frubals cause redness and swellingno-body regrets ignoring warnings that too many frubals cause redness and swelling
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Rick View Post

If you get right down to the meat of the subject, some folks are engaging in class warfare and cannot stomach the rich getting any richer even though they would increase revenue and put folks back to work.
Yeah right like the rich won't just exploit the common man and move their business overseas to get richer anyway. Frankly I can't wait for the french revolution to come back into style, a couple of guillotines might change the tune of those swine.



Quote:
Government regulation is the real job killer. It is time we faced the hard facts that somewhere in the world, people are going to polute our planet and be gainfully employed.
This is a joke, right ?
__________________
You aint nothing. Even a dumb animal can dance.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 09-09-2011, 03:32 PM
Penumbra's Avatar
Penumbra Offline
Religion: Philosophy
Title:Administrator
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason: For careful and thorough articulation of your thoughts in your posts over the years. Shield of The Renaissance Woman: Awarded to a real polymath, a person with many talents or interests who contributes greatly to a wide range of discussions and debates - Issue reason: For your knowledge and understanding of a wide variety of topics through the years. Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason: For your excellent knowledge on a variety of different topics Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: Valuable contributions to the forum as a staff member. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For contributing 10,000 posts! SPECIAL AWARD:Shield of the Thinker: Awarded for the remarkable ability to ponder carefully and think critically about all subjects they encounter - Issue reason:  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United States
Gender: Female
Posts: 14,547
Frubals: 1123
Penumbra wants to have frubals declared a soveriegn nation and be their ambassador
Penumbra wants to have frubals declared a soveriegn nation and be their ambassadorPenumbra wants to have frubals declared a soveriegn nation and be their ambassadorPenumbra wants to have frubals declared a soveriegn nation and be their ambassador
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Rick View Post
You would think that we should be focused on obtaining more revenue than raising taxes.

Perhaps we should put people back to work and eliminate tax loopholes instead of raising taxes.

The big issue here is people believe the government can create substainable jobs.
Most conservative arguments about how government can't create jobs, or how regulations are the problem, ignore successful social democracies that have created successful and sustainable government jobs while also using high standards of (reasonable) regulation.

Quote:
If you get right down to the meat of the subject, some folks are engaging in class warfare and cannot stomach the rich getting any richer even though they would increase revenue and put folks back to work.
Class warfare is an emotional term but the facts are that according to quantitative studies, America has more income inequality than basically any other nation on earth. It's not unreasonable to take a large issue against that.

Flat or regressive tax structures, unwillingness to fund education or health care, are problems.

In the past, when an imbalance becomes too large, it ends up crashing or swinging way too hard in the other direction.

Quote:
Government regulation is the real job killer. It is time we faced the hard facts that somewhere in the world, people are going to polute our planet and be gainfully employed.
So we should do that too? Is that the conclusion people should draw from this statement?

Quote:
Living in a fantasy world where green jobs are the answer and utilities are too expensive for anyone to be able to pay is the problem.

We are borrowing money from China to pay for oil from countries who hate us. How stupid is that?
Several nations have higher percentages of energy coming from renewable or cleaner sources. Speaking of China, they're focusing on that more and more, while also using tons of dirtier energy sources like coal.

Oil is limited, and it pollutes when it is drilled for, transported, and used.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 09-14-2011, 11:09 AM
Crystallas's Avatar
Crystallas Offline
Religion: Agnostic
Title:Junior Member
Great Suggestion Award:  - Issue reason: favicon suggestion and design 
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Gender: Male
Posts: 651
Frubals: 76
Crystallas likes the look on kids' faces when you tell them their frubals are falling offCrystallas likes the look on kids' faces when you tell them their frubals are falling off
Default

If you want to promote peace, end War, use force as a LAST resort, not FIRST. Ron Paul is the only peace candidate.

If you want to get rid of incentives for corruption, you have to understand how central banks work and how easy it is to put that cookie jar in front of a small group of people. Ron Paul is the only candidate that understands Central banks, so much, that copycats have adopted parts of his position for the sake of gaining votes.

If you want to understand regulation and how to hurts jobs, then you have to understand that it is IMPOSSIBLE to have no regulation. No regulation is a complete fallacy. If anything, the artificial regulations create an umbrella to protect big companies and not help the consumers protect themselves. Ron Paul understands the business cycle and consumer cycle. The other republicans and some democrats preach similar ideas to support the free market, but they really don't know what the hell a business cycle is or a consumer cycle, it's just a talking point for elections.

Candidates like this come every 6 generations in America. He is not like Ronald Reagan, even though the Gipper talked a good game.
__________________
This is debate club. You have to pick a side, no open-mindedness! Just get your wheels going and be stubborn! The best way to grow and learn, be close minded!
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 09-14-2011, 11:20 AM
Magic Man's Avatar
Magic Man Offline
Religion: Trampolinist
Title:Reaper of Conversation
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved.   Congratulations! Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For Reaching the 10,000 post mark! 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Maryland, USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,338
Frubals: 1405
Magic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the project
Magic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the projectMagic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the projectMagic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the projectMagic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the projectMagic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the projectMagic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the projectMagic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the project
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoltingest View Post
He's the right man for some of us.
But most people like deadly & expensive foreign entanglements, bigger & more intrusive government, empty platitudes, pandering, dishonesty & bail-outs for losers.
They'll favor one of the big two.
I'm against foreign entanglements, unnecessarily bigger and more intrusive government, empty platitudes, pandering, and dishonesty, as well as being against getting rid of minimum wage and going back to the gold standard, and I'm for spending money to get the economy back on track, and programs like the Department of Education and Energy, and the income tax.

So where does that leave me?
__________________
"I love and treasure individuals as I meet them; I loathe and despise the groups they identify with and belong to." ~ George Carlin

Whom = him, her
Who = he, she
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:34 PM.


Copyright © 2014 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.