Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Discuss Individual Religions (DIR) / Neopagan or Revival Religions DIR
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 09:20 AM
Quintessence Offline
Religion: Neopagan
Title:The Elementalist
Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: For your hard work as a moderator. 

Frubals: 991
Quintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicQuintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicQuintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicQuintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicQuintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicQuintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicQuintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicQuintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicQuintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in public
Default Finally!

Dear gods, have I been waiting for this since I began affiliating myself with Neopaganism. Finally, finally booksellers are getting with the reality of things and shifting the categorization of our religious books to recognizing them as legitimately religious. This is a story that was brought to my attention courtesy of the Wild Hunt last night, and you can read the original article from an insider's expertise right here. For ages, our literature has been stuck in the "New Age" section under a header that used to be "occult" but then switched to "Mind, Body, Spirit." Finally, we're moving where we belong: the religion section. Or at least the keywords Paganism, Neopaganism, and Wicca are. I think this is fantastic progress and can't bring myself to quibble about the less populous demographics within Neopaganism not being on that list just yet. The author of the article brings up some penetrating questions in response to this change that I think are worth discussing here, among a few others:

1) Will our books now be bought by the Religion buyer instead of the New Age buyer? Might this entire thing backfire in the brick-and-mortar bookstores?
2) How do we feel about officially being being branded as a religion?
3) Will this have any noticeable impact on our status as a legitimate religion in the eyes of outsiders?

Thoughts? Insights? Rants?

"What is real is that which we need to believe exists in order that we might function."
Emma Restall Orr

Tags
booksellers, libraries, organization, recognition