Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Discuss Individual Religions (DIR) / Abrahamic Religions DIR / Christianity DIR / Christian Denominations DIR / Protestantism DIR / Lutheran DIR
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2004, 01:03 PM
LeNinjaChic Offline
Religion: Ex-Xtian
Title:Theist

Frubals: 89
LeNinjaChic says every time your read this, God slaps another frubalLeNinjaChic says every time your read this, God slaps another frubal
Default Women's Roles in Lutheranism?

I was "born and raised" as a Lutheran. At the age of 15, I became a "born-again/spirit-filled" Christian and abandoned the Lutheran church. I have recently deconverted from Christianity all together, but my oldest daughter enjoys going to church with her neighbor friend. They are Lutherans.

Well, my daughter came home from church one day and questioned me on what the bible says regarding women's roles and their need to "subject" to men. While I know the arguments for submission, the way it was presented to her really irked me. I don't ever recall learning that "women must subject themselves to men" (this isn't even what the bible says). This teacher told my daughter that women are not to teach in a congregation where men are present and basically said that women are inferior. Both my husband and I were a little more than surprised (he is still a fundamental Christian).

So.....did I just luck out in the church I was raised in? Does this particular church follow mainstream Lutheran teaching? I find it hard to believe, as just before I left the church, we had a woman in the process of becoming a pastor.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can answer my question...

LNC
Old 11-21-2004, 03:17 PM
Religion: Pagan Rabble Rousing
Title:World's Tallest Hobbit
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Member of the Month Award:  - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: 10,000 posts 

Frubals: 1877
Feathers in Hair is a little uncomfortable fruballing in public
Feathers in Hair is a little uncomfortable fruballing in publicFeathers in Hair is a little uncomfortable fruballing in publicFeathers in Hair is a little uncomfortable fruballing in publicFeathers in Hair is a little uncomfortable fruballing in publicFeathers in Hair is a little uncomfortable fruballing in publicFeathers in Hair is a little uncomfortable fruballing in publicFeathers in Hair is a little uncomfortable fruballing in publicFeathers in Hair is a little uncomfortable fruballing in publicFeathers in Hair is a little uncomfortable fruballing in public

One of my favorite churches that I've ever attended was a Lutheran one, who happened to have a female pastor. It was the first church I'd gone to that empowered women.

Unfortunately, if I remember correctly, the Missouri (Synod) Lutheran churches don't recognize that women are as men at being able to present the word. This may have changed since when I attended, though.

Hope that helps!

A Guide for Our Newer Members

Old 11-21-2004, 03:35 PM
LeNinjaChic Offline

LeNinjaChic says every time your read this, God slaps another frubalLeNinjaChic says every time your read this, God slaps another frubal

I'll have to see if this church down the street is Missouri Synod or not. I attended the Evangelical Synod as a child.
Old 11-29-2004, 07:13 PM
chelee Offline
Religion: atheist
Title:Freshman Member

Frubals: 55
chelee has a reputation beyond reputechelee has a reputation beyond repute

ELCA does allow women to become pastors and the Missouri Synod does not. This was a major factor in our congregation when half of the members left and formed a Missouri Synod church.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:44 AM
Religion: Pagan Rabble Rousing
Title:World's Tallest Hobbit
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Member of the Month Award:  - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: 10,000 posts 

Frubals: 1877
Feathers in Hair is a little uncomfortable fruballing in public
Feathers in Hair is a little uncomfortable fruballing in publicFeathers in Hair is a little uncomfortable fruballing in publicFeathers in Hair is a little uncomfortable fruballing in publicFeathers in Hair is a little uncomfortable fruballing in publicFeathers in Hair is a little uncomfortable fruballing in publicFeathers in Hair is a little uncomfortable fruballing in publicFeathers in Hair is a little uncomfortable fruballing in publicFeathers in Hair is a little uncomfortable fruballing in publicFeathers in Hair is a little uncomfortable fruballing in public

Please let us know what you find out, LeNinjaChic! I still have good memories of the Lutheran church I attended, and would be saddened to see if this branch is preaching the Missouri Synod ways if it's ELCA.

A Guide for Our Newer Members

Old 11-30-2004, 12:01 PM
LeNinjaChic Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelee
ELCA does allow women to become pastors and the Missouri Synod does not. This was a major factor in our congregation when half of the members left and formed a Missouri Synod church.
Thanks for the clarification chelee....I'll have to find out for sure now, which synod this is.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:20 AM
cfer Offline
Religion: St. Bill of Microsoft
Title:Sophmore Member

Frubals: 639
cfer says, with a twinkle, 'A frubal is 1 part hug, 1 part smile, and a dash of partially hydrogenated soybean oil'cfer says, with a twinkle, 'A frubal is 1 part hug, 1 part smile, and a dash of partially hydrogenated soybean oil'cfer says, with a twinkle, 'A frubal is 1 part hug, 1 part smile, and a dash of partially hydrogenated soybean oil'cfer says, with a twinkle, 'A frubal is 1 part hug, 1 part smile, and a dash of partially hydrogenated soybean oil'cfer says, with a twinkle, 'A frubal is 1 part hug, 1 part smile, and a dash of partially hydrogenated soybean oil'cfer says, with a twinkle, 'A frubal is 1 part hug, 1 part smile, and a dash of partially hydrogenated soybean oil'cfer says, with a twinkle, 'A frubal is 1 part hug, 1 part smile, and a dash of partially hydrogenated soybean oil'cfer says, with a twinkle, 'A frubal is 1 part hug, 1 part smile, and a dash of partially hydrogenated soybean oil'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeNinjaChic
So.....did I just luck out in the church I was raised in? Does this particular church follow mainstream Lutheran teaching? I find it hard to believe, as just before I left the church, we had a woman in the process of becoming a pastor.
I don't think you lucked out but you went to a synod that was more liberal. I was raised going to an ELCA church, and we had women lay readers and women in positions of power on the church council. My female cousin is even going through seminary right now to become a minister, and my sister-in-law's female cousin is an ordained minister, too.

On the other hand, my grandma goes to a Missouri Synod church, and they don't let the women vote on any church issues. So I would say it's a breakdown between the different synods that explains what your daughter experienced, unfortunately.

Just know that not all Lutheran churches are like that.

Chris
Old 12-13-2004, 12:37 PM
LeNinjaChic Offline

Thanks so much Chris.....I appreciate the clarification. It's a relief to know that the Lutherans I grew up with have not changed radically in their views on women's roles.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:29 AM
Bendio Offline
Religion: Lutheran

Frubals: 88
Bendio says every time your read this, God slaps another frubalBendio says every time your read this, God slaps another frubal

Even the Misouri Synod doesn't teach that women are 'Inferior'. However, there are certain roles. I can't be sure as to the reason, but one thing I know is that Christian men and women (particularly if they are husband and wife) are required to treat each other well, because to mistreat ones husband or wife is to mistreat oneself because husband and wife become as one person spiritually.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:41 PM
Augustine Offline
Religion: LCMS

Frubals: 419
Augustine is conducting a survey to determine the frubals-to-wombat ratio for the tri-cities regionAugustine is conducting a survey to determine the frubals-to-wombat ratio for the tri-cities regionAugustine is conducting a survey to determine the frubals-to-wombat ratio for the tri-cities regionAugustine is conducting a survey to determine the frubals-to-wombat ratio for the tri-cities regionAugustine is conducting a survey to determine the frubals-to-wombat ratio for the tri-cities regionAugustine is conducting a survey to determine the frubals-to-wombat ratio for the tri-cities regionAugustine is conducting a survey to determine the frubals-to-wombat ratio for the tri-cities region

The LCMS does not teach that women are inferior to men. However, we do not allow women to be ordained as ministers. This is in following with the priesthood of Israel laid down by God in the old testament. I know that is definately a reason for it; and there might be a few more (have to ask my pastor). Nonetheless, women have numerous opportunities to help in the church such as LWML (Lutheran Women's Mission League) or they can become deaconnesses. I have not heard from any LCMS church I have been in that women are inferior and should submit to men. Perhaps, the verse of "wives submit to your husbands..." was misinterpreted. However if one goes in the passage, it says "husbands love your wives just as Christ loved the church" (See Eph 5:21-23,25 for full version).