Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Everything But the Kitchen Sink / The Arts / Literature
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2009, 06:17 AM
Religion: Unitarian
Title:Awesome Member

Frubals: 677
Trey of Diamonds keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroomTrey of Diamonds keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroomTrey of Diamonds keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroomTrey of Diamonds keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroomTrey of Diamonds keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroomTrey of Diamonds keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroomTrey of Diamonds keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroomTrey of Diamonds keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroom
Default Are Comic Books Literature?

This has been a long lasting debate so I thought I'd see what folks here thought.

THE BEAT » Blog Archive » Are comics literature?
Graphic novel viewed as contemporary literature, professor says - Columbia Missourian
San Francisco News - The Difference Between Comics and Literature - page 1 (weird but goes into the legal issues of calling comics literature, specifically paying taxes on them.)
Hugo Awards add Graphic Novel Category - ComicMix news

"If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things."
~ Rene Descartes
Old 04-02-2009, 08:15 AM
Storm Offline
Religion: Rogue Panentheist/ UU
Title:Proud Queer
Shield of Valour: Awarded for heroic and decisive victory in the battlefield of debate - Issue reason:  Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason:  Shield of 40,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 40,000 posts - Issue reason: That's a lot of posts! 

Frubals: 2084
Storm just wants to tickle your frubals until they giggle like schoolgirlsStorm just wants to tickle your frubals until they giggle like schoolgirls
Storm just wants to tickle your frubals until they giggle like schoolgirlsStorm just wants to tickle your frubals until they giggle like schoolgirls

What do you mean by "literature?"

Check out my shiny new blog, Knitting In Church!
Old 04-02-2009, 08:22 AM
tomspug Offline
Religion: Christianity
Title:Absorbant

Frubals: 483
tomspug has no idea we replaced all these frubals with replicastomspug has no idea we replaced all these frubals with replicastomspug has no idea we replaced all these frubals with replicastomspug has no idea we replaced all these frubals with replicastomspug has no idea we replaced all these frubals with replicastomspug has no idea we replaced all these frubals with replicastomspug has no idea we replaced all these frubals with replicas

I think it depends... They are a visual medium, yes, but sometimes they can be very story-driven and character-driven. I will say 'yes' for now. As far as quality of literature, it tends to fall somewhere above manga and below young adult literature.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:23 AM
Religion: Unitarian
Title:Awesome Member

Frubals: 677
Trey of Diamonds keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroomTrey of Diamonds keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroomTrey of Diamonds keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroomTrey of Diamonds keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroomTrey of Diamonds keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroomTrey of Diamonds keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroomTrey of Diamonds keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroomTrey of Diamonds keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
What do you mean by "literature?"
Well, that is part of the debate. Those who argue one way or the other often are debating different definitions of the term literature. So to answer the OP question you first have to define your own meaning of literature and then see if comic books fit into that definition.

"If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things."
~ Rene Descartes
Old 04-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Delilah Roo Offline
Title:Non-Theist

Frubals: 20
Delilah Roo invested heavily in the foreign frubal economy

Sure they can be,

My critasism of comic books is that it seems like the charecters, especialy the villains are one sided. You, as the reader, have no motavation to see them as anything other than evil. No one is compleatly evil, and sometimes comic villians are not deep enough.

(sometimes they are, I am sure anyone who is a real comic book reader will be able to pull out a thousand examples contradicting what I said.)

Delilah
Old 04-26-2009, 07:36 PM
J Bryson Offline
Religion: Unitarian Universalist
Title:Uber Member

Frubals: 350
J Bryson finds that trying to house-train frubals can be frustrating, and they don't get along well with the goats.J Bryson finds that trying to house-train frubals can be frustrating, and they don't get along well with the goats.J Bryson finds that trying to house-train frubals can be frustrating, and they don't get along well with the goats.J Bryson finds that trying to house-train frubals can be frustrating, and they don't get along well with the goats.J Bryson finds that trying to house-train frubals can be frustrating, and they don't get along well with the goats.J Bryson finds that trying to house-train frubals can be frustrating, and they don't get along well with the goats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delilah Roo View Post
Sure they can be,

My critasism of comic books is that it seems like the charecters, especialy the villains are one sided. You, as the reader, have no motavation to see them as anything other than evil. No one is compleatly evil, and sometimes comic villians are not deep enough.

(sometimes they are, I am sure anyone who is a real comic book reader will be able to pull out a thousand examples contradicting what I said.)

Delilah
Well, maybe not a thousand, but I'm sure that I can come up with a few.

Watchmen by Alan Moore is probably the most famous "shades of gray" example in the comic book medium, and I'd say deservedly so.

Preacher by Garth Ennis makes no bones about a split between good and evil, but his ideas on who qualifies as such can be unexpected, and blasphemously enjoyable.

The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller manages to imbue some of the most famous characters of all time with moral ambiguity.

Miracleman by Alan Moore is one of the earliest deconstructions of the superhero genre that I can recall, and is a violent meditation on power, society, and responsibility.

Of course, that's just in the superhero genre. Once you start getting into the works of Spiegelman, Pekar, R. Crumb et al, all bets are off.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:58 PM
doppelgänger Offline
Title:Through the Looking Glass
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason: This scolarship award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: You have acheived over 10,000 posts here at RF. Congrats Brendan! 

Frubals: 2349
doppelgänger loves that little tingle you get right before a big frubaldoppelgänger loves that little tingle you get right before a big frubal
doppelgänger loves that little tingle you get right before a big frubaldoppelgänger loves that little tingle you get right before a big frubaldoppelgänger loves that little tingle you get right before a big frubaldoppelgänger loves that little tingle you get right before a big frubaldoppelgänger loves that little tingle you get right before a big frubaldoppelgänger loves that little tingle you get right before a big frubal

Of course they are. Anyone who says otherwise is just being a snotty, foppish twit. QED.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:59 PM
rojse Offline
Religion: Just looking, thanks.
Title:RF Addict

Frubals: 719
rojse has an irrational fear of being chased by zombie frubals with no commentsrojse has an irrational fear of being chased by zombie frubals with no commentsrojse has an irrational fear of being chased by zombie frubals with no commentsrojse has an irrational fear of being chased by zombie frubals with no commentsrojse has an irrational fear of being chased by zombie frubals with no commentsrojse has an irrational fear of being chased by zombie frubals with no commentsrojse has an irrational fear of being chased by zombie frubals with no commentsrojse has an irrational fear of being chased by zombie frubals with no comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey of Diamonds View Post
This has been a long lasting debate so I thought I'd see what folks here thought.

THE BEAT » Blog Archive » Are comics literature?
Graphic novel viewed as contemporary literature, professor says - Columbia Missourian
San Francisco News - The Difference Between Comics and Literature - page 1 (weird but goes into the legal issues of calling comics literature, specifically paying taxes on them.)
Hugo Awards add Graphic Novel Category - ComicMix news
When Maus can win a Pulitzer Prize (and was an excellent graphic novel), then I say yes, regardless of how you wish to define "litereature".
"The Earth quakes and the Heavens rattle; the beasts of nature flock together and the nations of men flock apart,; volcanoes usher up heat while elsewhere water becomes ice and melts; and then on other days it just rains."

The Illuminatus! Triology
Old 04-26-2009, 08:03 PM
zenzero Offline
Religion: do things religiously
Title:Its only a Label
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts. Congrats Zen! 

Frubals: 1322
zenzero yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'
zenzero yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'zenzero yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'zenzero yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'zenzero yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'zenzero yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'zenzero yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'

Friend Trey of Diamonds,

Quote:
Are Comic Books Literature?
Wondering why we did not study *comics* in literature classes?

Love & rgds
Old 04-26-2009, 08:04 PM
Watchmen Offline
Religion: An LDS Exception
Title:Rorschach

Frubals: 255
Watchmen has this annoying habit of using a 'devil voice' when saying the word 'frubal'Watchmen has this annoying habit of using a 'devil voice' when saying the word 'frubal'Watchmen has this annoying habit of using a 'devil voice' when saying the word 'frubal'Watchmen has this annoying habit of using a 'devil voice' when saying the word 'frubal'Watchmen has this annoying habit of using a 'devil voice' when saying the word 'frubal'

Yes - they are.