Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Everything But the Kitchen Sink / The Arts / Literature
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2006, 01:24 AM
zombieharlot Offline
Title:Some Kind of Strange

Frubals: 428
zombieharlot has several frubals mounted on the wall over the fireplacezombieharlot has several frubals mounted on the wall over the fireplacezombieharlot has several frubals mounted on the wall over the fireplacezombieharlot has several frubals mounted on the wall over the fireplacezombieharlot has several frubals mounted on the wall over the fireplacezombieharlot has several frubals mounted on the wall over the fireplacezombieharlot has several frubals mounted on the wall over the fireplace
Default Something That's Always Really Bothered Me

I have a really low reading comprehension and it makes me feel completely stupid at times. I'm at about tenth grade reading level and it bothers the hell out of me. It feels to me like I write and speak fairly well, but for some reason I have a hard time with understanding what I read. I'm very literate and can perform the action of reading well. But, again, the part where I falter is in the comprehension. What I always found funny is that, seemingly, I shouldn't even be able to understand my own writing.

I really don't know why I'm posting or saying any of this. I guess I just feel like b****ing about nothing. I don't know. Where's Kat? Isn't she an English major? Why can't I read as well as I can write?
Old 12-18-2006, 01:47 AM
Buttercup Offline
Title:Pfffft.
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: 10,000 posts! 

Frubals: 2283
Buttercup puts spikey collars on frubals to make them look toughButtercup puts spikey collars on frubals to make them look tough
Buttercup puts spikey collars on frubals to make them look toughButtercup puts spikey collars on frubals to make them look toughButtercup puts spikey collars on frubals to make them look toughButtercup puts spikey collars on frubals to make them look toughButtercup puts spikey collars on frubals to make them look tough

Are you not understanding particular words or the message in the reading material? Or a bit of both?

Old 12-18-2006, 01:53 AM
zombieharlot Offline

zombieharlot has several frubals mounted on the wall over the fireplacezombieharlot has several frubals mounted on the wall over the fireplacezombieharlot has several frubals mounted on the wall over the fireplacezombieharlot has several frubals mounted on the wall over the fireplacezombieharlot has several frubals mounted on the wall over the fireplacezombieharlot has several frubals mounted on the wall over the fireplacezombieharlot has several frubals mounted on the wall over the fireplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup
Are you not understanding particular words or the message in the reading material? Or a bit of both?
Words? They have dictionaries for those things. I'm fine on vocabulary and such. It's mainly that the message doesn't quite get across to me. Do you know of any college level books off of the top of your head that I might recognize the name of?
Old 12-18-2006, 01:58 AM
Buttercup Offline
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: 10,000 posts! 

Buttercup puts spikey collars on frubals to make them look toughButtercup puts spikey collars on frubals to make them look tough
Buttercup puts spikey collars on frubals to make them look toughButtercup puts spikey collars on frubals to make them look toughButtercup puts spikey collars on frubals to make them look toughButtercup puts spikey collars on frubals to make them look toughButtercup puts spikey collars on frubals to make them look tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieharlot
Words? They have dictionaries for those things. I'm fine on vocabulary and such. It's mainly that the message doesn't quite get across to me.
Have you tried reading outloud to yourself? I imagine you reread certain parts until they make sense? All of us do this on occasion. I think another thing that's important to note is that people learn in different manners. Some people learn most effectively through hearing, some through doing it themselves and others learn better visually. Have you tried listening to novels or other written works? Many books come n tape.
Quote:
Do you know of any college level books off of the top of your head that I might recognize the name of?
For what subject?

Old 12-18-2006, 02:08 AM
zombieharlot Offline

Quote:
Have you tried reading outloud to yourself? I imagine you reread certain parts until they make sense? All of us do this on occasion. I think another thing that's important to note is that people learn in different manners. Some people learn most effectively through hearing, some through doing it themselves and others learn better visually. Have you tried listening to novels or other written works? Many books come n tape.
Well, I do know that I'll read lyrics to a song sometimes and be like, "What the **** is he talking about?" And then I'll hear it and understand.

Quote:
For what subject?
Doesn't matter. Just anything that's well known. Name a few.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:12 AM
Buttercup Offline

Quote:
Well, I do know that I'll read lyrics to a song sometimes and be like, "What the **** is he talking about?" And then I'll hear it and understand.
You could be an audible learner. There are tests you can take to determine that.

Quote:
Doesn't matter. Just anything that's well known. Name a few.
I haven't been to college in years. I'm not sure why you're asking is what I mean. I read fictional novels, historical books, religious history, mysteries or true crime mostly.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:25 AM
zombieharlot Offline

Quote:
You could be an audible learner. There are tests you can take to determine that.
Like what?

Quote:
I haven't been to college in years. I'm not sure why you're asking is what I mean. I read fictional novels, historical books, religious history, mysteries or true crime mostly.
Well, the last book that I read was The Scarlet Letter. Just want to make some kind of ridiculous comparison, I guess.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:04 AM
jacquie4000 Offline
Title:Uber Member

Frubals: 279
jacquie4000 slapped your frubals upside the head and said they had it comingjacquie4000 slapped your frubals upside the head and said they had it comingjacquie4000 slapped your frubals upside the head and said they had it comingjacquie4000 slapped your frubals upside the head and said they had it comingjacquie4000 slapped your frubals upside the head and said they had it coming

My son has a hard time with this also. He is extremly intelligent has a very high IQ as a matter of fact. He reads out load alot. He has trouble in school with reading if there is any distractions. He feels he needs to be away from everyone else then he is o.k.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:20 AM
Booko Offline
Religion: Baha'i
Title:Deviled Hen
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by the award committee and is well deserved. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts 

Frubals: 1417
Booko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rival
Booko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rival

Quote:
Maybe your learning style is just auditory, ZH.

Academics and things we regard as "intelligent" are set up for the majority of the population, which lean towards visual learning styles.

What this means is, someone with an auditory learning style will, yeah, feel kinda stupid. And they're not.

My brother is a verbal learner, and big time. He had a tough time in some classes at school. But I've seen him when he meets a person one time for a few minutes, and then TEN YEARS later, he meets them again, remembers their name, family name, hobbies, pets names, anything at all they talked about 10 years ago. It's amazing, but for some odd reason, we don't count that under our culture's defintion of "intelligent."

So, maybe there isn't anything wrong with you. Maybe it's just that you have to find ways to learn playing to your strengths?

In a more verbal culture I'd be a total idiot. I've tried listening to books on tape, and the moment a paragraph goes by, I can't even tell you what it just said.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:23 AM
Booko Offline
Religion: Baha'i
Title:Deviled Hen
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by the award committee and is well deserved. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts 

Frubals: 1417
Booko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rival
Booko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rival

Oh, it might be worth trying to find out if you have mild dyslexia too. If you had a serious case, it would be obvious, but a milder one might pass unnoticed.

Do you do any better with the lights turned lower? The glare off the page will mess up dyslexics.

My husband has very very mild dyslexia, and this works for him.