Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Discuss Individual Religions (DIR) / Abrahamic Religions DIR / Judaism DIR
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2005, 08:37 PM
lilithu Offline
Religion: UU / "Chinese Folk"
Title:The Devil's Advocate
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Webpage Award:  - Issue reason:  Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason: This was awarded to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: You have achieved over 10,000 posts at RF.  Congratulations!! 

Frubals: 1914
lilithu goes around calling people 'frubalphobes'
lilithu goes around calling people 'frubalphobes'lilithu goes around calling people 'frubalphobes'lilithu goes around calling people 'frubalphobes'lilithu goes around calling people 'frubalphobes'lilithu goes around calling people 'frubalphobes'lilithu goes around calling people 'frubalphobes'lilithu goes around calling people 'frubalphobes'lilithu goes around calling people 'frubalphobes'lilithu goes around calling people 'frubalphobes'
Default How does Judaism explain evil?

Namaste Yall,

I've been struggling with the theology of evil, how to explain it. So I'm hoping to gain some widsom from your tradition. The reason I come to you guys is because I think we share some similar beliefs. Personally, I don't buy the idea of an external source of evil, like the christian Devil. I think it absolves the person of responsibility. ("The Devil made me do it.") On the other hand, I don't buy the idea of an internal source of evil. I believe that we are all "made in the image of God" and that creation is "good." Therefore, humans are essentially good but imperfect.

But if evil doesn't have an external source and evil doesn't have an internal source, then I can only conclude that evil is not a thing in and of itself but merely the result of the absence of good, the way that dark is the absence of light. Evil exists where good fails. Logically this makes sense to me. But emotionally it is difficult to accept. If evil is merely the result of our imperfection, how do we explain torture and genocide? How can that much evil, which seems so actively virulent, be simply the result of the absence of good?

So as I said, I am hoping for some insight from Judaism. Thanks,
-lilith
Old 10-02-2005, 08:40 PM
Deut 13:1 Offline
Religion: Judaism
Title:Senior Member

Frubals: 91
Deut 13:1 gargles with frubalsDeut 13:1 gargles with frubals

I'll be honest, I really don't understand what you're asking. . .

Like, if you're asking what the purpose of angels are? Or if you're asking do we believe in a satan who rebelled against Hashem? or what?
Old 10-02-2005, 08:54 PM
lilithu Offline
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Webpage Award:  - Issue reason:  Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason: This was awarded to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: You have achieved over 10,000 posts at RF.  Congratulations!! 

lilithu goes around calling people 'frubalphobes'lilithu goes around calling people 'frubalphobes'lilithu goes around calling people 'frubalphobes'lilithu goes around calling people 'frubalphobes'lilithu goes around calling people 'frubalphobes'lilithu goes around calling people 'frubalphobes'lilithu goes around calling people 'frubalphobes'lilithu goes around calling people 'frubalphobes'lilithu goes around calling people 'frubalphobes'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binyamin
I'll be honest, I really don't understand what you're asking. . .

Like, if you're asking what the purpose of angels are? Or if you're asking do we believe in a satan who rebelled against Hashem? or what?
No, why does evil exist? What causes it?
Old 10-02-2005, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilithu
The kabbalah and Chassidut explain that the origin of evil is goodness and that G-d created evil so that it would tempt man and thereby promp him to overcome the temptation thereby bring out qualities in him that would otherwise not be accessible.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:06 AM
jewscout Offline
Title:Religious Zionist

Frubals: 952
jewscout is concerned that your frubals are getting a little flabbyjewscout is concerned that your frubals are getting a little flabbyjewscout is concerned that your frubals are getting a little flabbyjewscout is concerned that your frubals are getting a little flabbyjewscout is concerned that your frubals are getting a little flabbyjewscout is concerned that your frubals are getting a little flabbyjewscout is concerned that your frubals are getting a little flabbyjewscout is concerned that your frubals are getting a little flabbyjewscout is concerned that your frubals are getting a little flabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binyamin
The kabbalah and Chassidut explain that the origin of evil is goodness and that G-d created evil so that it would tempt man and thereby promp him to overcome the temptation thereby bring out qualities in him that would otherwise not be accessible.
that, from what i understand, is the role of Satan in Judaism, not a dualistic sort of thing, but rather as an angel (i've also heard him referred to as Samael) who tempts us only so that we may overcome temptation and make ourselves better people and closer to G-d (the whole Jacob's ladder thing)
Old 10-03-2005, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewscout
that, from what i understand, is the role of Satan in Judaism, not a dualistic sort of thing, but rather as an angel (i've also heard him referred to as Samael) who tempts us only so that we may overcome temptation and make ourselves better people and closer to G-d (the whole Jacob's ladder thing)
Correct, although we don't believe Satan rebelled against Hashem, we believe he is ful-filling the purpose that Hashem gave him. For more proof just look to the story of Abraham and the 3 angels that visit him in the guise of men.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:49 AM
lilithu Offline

So both good and evil come from God? I know that there is a verse in Isaiah that says this ("I am the God of both good and evil, etc.") but did not think it was a central belief.

And evil exists because it is necessary to help us express our likeness to God? I realize that this is not a debate forum and honestly my intent is to learn not argue, but I find this answer to be unsatisfactory. (Then again, I have found all answers on evil to be unsatisfactory, so it's nothing specifically against Judaism's answer.) I think this answer works fine for "small evils," if one call them that - the everyday obstacles that we encounter. I can imagine that God lets us fail the way that a parent lets a child fail in order to learn. However, a parent would never let his child walk off a cliff or be murdered right in front of him, without trying to intervene.

Jewscout, hopefully you know me well enough to trust that I say this with great respect for Judaism:
If one believes that God has the power to stop great great evils like the genocide of defenseless innocents and yet permits it, or even is behind it as some sort of learning experience, then I can easily understand why so many Jews lost their faith during the holocaust. Surely your rabbis have wrestled with this question in the aftermath of the holocaust and come up with something more?
Old 10-03-2005, 08:08 AM
jewscout Offline
Title:Religious Zionist

Frubals: 952
jewscout is concerned that your frubals are getting a little flabbyjewscout is concerned that your frubals are getting a little flabbyjewscout is concerned that your frubals are getting a little flabbyjewscout is concerned that your frubals are getting a little flabbyjewscout is concerned that your frubals are getting a little flabbyjewscout is concerned that your frubals are getting a little flabbyjewscout is concerned that your frubals are getting a little flabbyjewscout is concerned that your frubals are getting a little flabbyjewscout is concerned that your frubals are getting a little flabby

Quote:
So both good and evil come from God? I know that there is a verse in Isaiah that says this ("I am the God of both good and evil, etc.") but did not think it was a central belief.

And evil exists because it is necessary to help us express our likeness to God? I realize that this is not a debate forum and honestly my intent is to learn not argue, but I find this answer to be unsatisfactory. (Then again, I have found all answers on evil to be unsatisfactory, so it's nothing specifically against Judaism's answer.) I think this answer works fine for "small evils," if one call them that - the everyday obstacles that we encounter. I can imagine that God lets us fail the way that a parent lets a child fail in order to learn. However, a parent would never let his child walk off a cliff or be murdered right in front of him, without trying to intervene.

Jewscout, hopefully you know me well enough to trust that I say this with great respect for Judaism:
If one believes that God has the power to stop great great evils like the genocide of defenseless innocents and yet permits it, or even is behind it as some sort of learning experience, then I can easily understand why so many Jews lost their faith during the holocaust. Surely your rabbis have wrestled with this question in the aftermath of the holocaust and come up with something more?
yes it is a question, i think, has been wrestled a great deal in the aftermath of the Holocaust (and even before then as well i imagine).
there are, i'm sure, many possible answers as to why HaShem allowed the Holocaust to happen, more than i'm sure i know of. For some no answer is sufficient enough to explain how or why this occured, and any answer one presents will be met as an apologetic answer to excuse this horrible atrocity. But i do not believe it is an excusing of this event, rather a way for those who have faith and have kept faith in the face of this horrible event, to come to terms with what happened to them and their families.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:32 AM
lilithu Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewscout
yes it is a question, i think, has been wrestled a great deal in the aftermath of the Holocaust (and even before then as well i imagine).
there are, i'm sure, many possible answers as to why HaShem allowed the Holocaust to happen, more than i'm sure i know of. For some no answer is sufficient enough to explain how or why this occured, and any answer one presents will be met as an apologetic answer to excuse this horrible atrocity. But i do not believe it is an excusing of this event, rather a way for those who have faith and have kept faith in the face of this horrible event, to come to terms with what happened to them and their families.
Thank you Jewscout, for your honest answer.

I am personally tired of apologetics and am perfectly willing to accept that sometimes we don't know the answer. (What I cannot accept is any answer that belittles the suffering of the people - any answer that says it was their fault, or that it's no bad in the grand scheme of things.) As I said, I have looked through many different faith traditions to see how they explain evil and none of them are sufficient in my book and certainly I can't come up with anything better. But honesty and faith go a long way.

I wish you a blessed Rosh Hashanah. May you observe it surrounded by those you love.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:07 PM
Kowalski Offline
Religion: Einsteinian
Title:BANNED
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 2025
Kowalski has undergone treatment several times for frubal deficiencyKowalski has undergone treatment several times for frubal deficiency
Kowalski has undergone treatment several times for frubal deficiency

Quote:
Human nature is the short answer to that. The dark is in all of us, but when it's out, it's really out there.

Where does anybody want to start the annals of evil from ? People have been massacaring other people since they first settled the land. Human nature has got worse, not better.

K