Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Discuss Individual Religions (DIR) / Dharmic Religions DIR / Jainism DIR
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2009, 03:32 PM
mahavir Offline
Religion: Jainism
Title:Jain Convert

Frubals: 11
mahavir will work for frubals
Default conversion to jainism

HI! I am a white american and i was wondering if i could convert to jainism. I really like the religion and i feel that it is true. When i look up how to convert on yahoo and google there are no real answers. I dont get a yes or a no. So i was wondering if anyone here had the answer. THANK YOU!
Old 11-07-2009, 03:41 PM
hindupridemn Offline
Religion: Hindu LDS Jain Baha'i
Title:Defender of the Truth

Frubals: 18
hindupridemn gives frubals to the homeless

I thought I was the only one! Once you consider yourself a Jain and follow ahimsa, you are a Jain.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:44 PM
mahavir Offline
Religion: Jainism
Title:Jain Convert

Frubals: 11
mahavir will work for frubals

Are you kidding me, THATS IT! WOW OMG THANKYOU!
Old 11-07-2009, 04:18 PM
Onkara Offline
Title:Intrepid Member

Frubals: 323
Onkara won last year's frubal spitting contestOnkara won last year's frubal spitting contestOnkara won last year's frubal spitting contestOnkara won last year's frubal spitting contestOnkara won last year's frubal spitting contestOnkara won last year's frubal spitting contest

Welcome to the forum Mahavir
My impression with most dharmic paths is that it is your adoption of the teaching rather than conversion which opens the door.

I look forward to reading more posts on Jainism

Onkarah.

Last edited by Onkara; 11-08-2009 at 12:01 AM..
Old 11-07-2009, 05:24 PM
Smoke Offline
Title:Done here.
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: You have achieved over 10,000 posts at RF. Congratulations!! 

Frubals: 3290
Smoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubalsSmoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubalsSmoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubals
Smoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubalsSmoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubalsSmoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubalsSmoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubalsSmoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubals

To echo the other answers, I don't think there is any conversion ritual; one simply begins to follow the Jain dharma -- which is no small undertaking.

"If you don't believe that Puerto Rican Americans ought to be able to get married in this country, you are a bigot. If you don't think African Americans should be allowed in the military, you are a bigot. If you think it ought to be legal to refuse to hire Asian Americans, you are a bigot. And in case you're missing the point, there's only one group in America against whom the bigots are winning in all three areas."
-Michael Dixon
Old 11-07-2009, 06:34 PM
bookworm Offline
Title:Freshman Member

Frubals: 10
bookworm says, ''Zay 'ello to my little frubalz!

What has drawn you to Jainism ? Why do you think this is the right thing to do?
Old 11-07-2009, 08:23 PM
zenzero Offline
Religion: do things religiously
Title:Its only a Label
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts. Congrats Zen! 

Frubals: 1321
zenzero yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'
zenzero yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'zenzero yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'zenzero yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'zenzero yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'zenzero yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'zenzero yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'

Friend mahavir,

Quote:
conversion to jainism
Jainism, buddhism, sikhism are all extentions of SANATN DHARMA.
Sanatan Dharma means the ETERNAL PATH or a WAY OF LIFE.
Which simply means a PATH that was, is and will remain. There is no ownership.
Any human whatever may be his way of life is covered by it.
However since as usual minds [thoughts] create dualities and so the same definition will not be accepted by followers of islam or christ and so it is now narrowed down to people who follow some known or popular PATHS .
To live in society and fulfill many obligations one has to declare which is his religion for records and for visiting places of worships certain times some novice may ask if you are a follower and if not may embarrass and so to avoid it best is to go to a JAIN temple and ask the priest to ordain you in jainism and thereafter be inducted and follow it.
Love & rgds

do you want that to be arranged?
Old 11-07-2009, 08:26 PM
bookworm Offline
Title:Freshman Member

Frubals: 10
bookworm says, ''Zay 'ello to my little frubalz!

Again, can someone explain to me why they think this is the right religion to follow?
Old 11-07-2009, 08:31 PM
.lava Offline
Religion: haneef religion=ISLAM
Title:Moderator Emeritus
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 1171
.lava orders fast food kid meals just to get the toy frubals
.lava orders fast food kid meals just to get the toy frubals.lava orders fast food kid meals just to get the toy frubals.lava orders fast food kid meals just to get the toy frubals.lava orders fast food kid meals just to get the toy frubals
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindupridemn View Post
I thought I was the only one! Once you consider yourself a Jain and follow ahimsa, you are a Jain.
hi i've never heard of Jainism before. could you please give a brief explanation of your path? what do you believe in? what's your aim in life?

thank you

and is gained by a hundred means of persuasion.
RUMI
Old 11-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Smoke Offline
Title:Done here.
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: You have achieved over 10,000 posts at RF. Congratulations!! 

Frubals: 3290
Smoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubalsSmoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubalsSmoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubals
Smoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubalsSmoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubalsSmoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubalsSmoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubalsSmoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubals

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenzero View Post
To live in society and fulfill many obligations one has to declare which is his religion for records and for visiting places of worships certain times some novice may ask if you are a follower and if not may embarrass and so to avoid it best is to go to a JAIN temple and ask the priest to ordain you in jainism and thereafter be inducted and follow it.
For those who are interested, a list of Jain temples in the US can be found here:

Jain Temples, Jain Mandir in the USA and North America, Jainism including other links of interest ... Garamchai.Com

"If you don't believe that Puerto Rican Americans ought to be able to get married in this country, you are a bigot. If you don't think African Americans should be allowed in the military, you are a bigot. If you think it ought to be legal to refuse to hire Asian Americans, you are a bigot. And in case you're missing the point, there's only one group in America against whom the bigots are winning in all three areas."
-Michael Dixon