Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Discuss Individual Religions (DIR) / Dharmic Religions DIR / Hinduism DIR
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Anti-religion Offline
Religion: Purnadvaita
Title:Restricted

Frubals: 130
Anti-religion wonders whether 'frubal face' is an insultAnti-religion wonders whether 'frubal face' is an insultAnti-religion wonders whether 'frubal face' is an insult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philomath View Post
What then is the difference between Kashmir Shaivism and Advaita then? Both state we are Non-Dual from God. I know Kashmir Shavisim states that the world is real, but If the illusion in Advaita is that we are separate then isn't Kashmir Shaivism and Advaita the same thing?
Not much as far as broad philosophy is concerned,except that Advaita uses more Vedantic methods of self exploration and Kashmir Shavisim uses Tantric methods.For an outsider though,Smartism(Advaita) is not much different than polished vedantic shaivism.Again,Buddhist also have similar(but not same) non-dualistic philosophy and perhaps owing to their geographical and culture proximity have similar methods to becoming (no)self-aware.

Last edited by Anti-religion; 11-10-2013 at 04:44 PM..
Old 11-10-2013, 05:00 PM
Maya3 Offline
Religion: Advaita Hindu
Title:Senior Member

Frubals: 177
Maya3 is filling up landfills everywhere with frubalsMaya3 is filling up landfills everywhere with frubalsMaya3 is filling up landfills everywhere with frubalsMaya3 is filling up landfills everywhere with frubals

Quote:
So basically the illusion is that we are separate from God?
Exactly.

Maya
Old 11-10-2013, 05:02 PM
Maya3 Offline
Religion: Advaita Hindu
Title:Senior Member

Frubals: 177
Maya3 is filling up landfills everywhere with frubalsMaya3 is filling up landfills everywhere with frubalsMaya3 is filling up landfills everywhere with frubalsMaya3 is filling up landfills everywhere with frubals

Quote:
What then is the difference between Kashmir Shaivism and Advaita then? Both state we are Non-Dual from God. I know Kashmir Shavisim states that the world is real, but If the illusion in Advaita is that we are separate then isn't Kashmir Shaivism and Advaita the same thing?
I don´t know. Are there any Kashmir Shaivists here?

Maya
Old 11-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Philomath Offline
Title:Sadhaka

Frubals: 108
Philomath hopes to be reincarnated as a frubal next time aroundPhilomath hopes to be reincarnated as a frubal next time aroundPhilomath hopes to be reincarnated as a frubal next time around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya3 View Post

Maya
I'm not sure, Hopefully there are though.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:40 PM
Philomath Offline

Philomath hopes to be reincarnated as a frubal next time aroundPhilomath hopes to be reincarnated as a frubal next time aroundPhilomath hopes to be reincarnated as a frubal next time around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-religion View Post
Not much as far as broad philosophy is concerned,except that Advaita uses more Vedantic methods of self exploration and Kashmir Shavisim uses Tantric methods.For an outsider though,Smartism(Advaita) is not much different than polished vedantic shaivism.Again,Buddhist also have similar(but not same) non-dualistic philosophy and perhaps owing to their geographical and culture proximity have similar methods to becoming (no)self-aware.
I thought so too, I don't really see any differences between the two.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Sb1995 Offline
Religion: Hindu
Title:Om Sai Ram

Frubals: 91
Sb1995 gargles with frubalsSb1995 gargles with frubals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya3 View Post

Maya
Sb at your service. My father was born and raised in Srinagar (Capital) Kashmir. Althought I don't know much about Kashmiri Shaivism ,I am half kashmiri and I have a Kashmiri last name just like my entire family. I can ask my father if you have any questions I am unable to answer so shoot away.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:51 PM
Philomath Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sb1995 View Post
Sb at your service. My father was born and raised in Srinagar (Capital) Kashmir. Althought I don't know much about Kashmiri Shaivism ,I am half kashmiri and I have a Kashmiri last name just like my entire family. I can ask my father if you have any questions I am unable to answer so shoot away.
Cool!

Could you ask him what the difference between Kashmir Shavisim and Advaita Vedanta are?
Old 11-11-2013, 03:36 PM
Sb1995 Offline
Religion: Hindu
Title:Om Sai Ram

Frubals: 91
Sb1995 gargles with frubalsSb1995 gargles with frubals

I just did a quick google search and found this (I am not capable of answering such things lol)

Fundamental Aspect of Vedanta and Kashmir Shaivism
http://tribes.tribe.net/saiva/thread...5-b547480061d3

If your answer is not fulfilled than I shall go ask for you.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Philomath Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sb1995 View Post
I just did a quick google search and found this (I am not capable of answering such things lol)

Fundamental Aspect of Vedanta and Kashmir Shaivism
Question about the difference between... - Kashmir Saivism - tribe.net

If your answer is not fulfilled than I shall go ask for you.
Thanks, I'll read through the links.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:32 PM
Philomath Offline

Well from my understanding the difference between Kashmir Shaivism and Advaita Vendanta is their understanding of the manifest world. Advaita considers the manifest world unreal. The world is a projection of Shiva in KS so therefore the world is real. Advaita states that only Brahman is real so if the world is created by Brahman how can it not be real? Or maybe I'm not fully understanding something here.