Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Discuss Individual Religions (DIR) / Dharmic Religions DIR / Hinduism DIR
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2013, 07:17 AM
ZooGirl02 Offline
Religion: Unitarian Universalist
Title:Senior Member

Frubals: 81
ZooGirl02 hates having to clean up after all these frubalsZooGirl02 hates having to clean up after all these frubals
Default What do Hindus believe about various aspects of sexuality/sexual health?

Hey everyone. What do Hindus believe as regards these questions:

1. Is abortion allowed or disallowed? Is it considered immoral, moral, or morally neutral?
  2. What do Hindus believe about homosexuality, gay marriage, homosexual sexual relations, and homosexual relationships?
  3. What do Hindus believe about contraception?
  4. What do Hindus believe concerning premarital sex?
  5. Are certain kinds of sexual relations forbidden in Hinduism?
Thanks in advance for your answers!
Old 07-12-2013, 07:43 AM
ThunderRD Offline
Title:Freshman Member

Frubals: 10
ThunderRD says, ''Zay 'ello to my little frubalz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooGirl02 View Post

1. Is abortion allowed or disallowed? Is it considered immoral, moral, or morally neutral?
  2. What do Hindus believe about homosexuality, gay marriage, homosexual sexual relations, and homosexual relationships?
First of all let me tell you that Hinduism is a very liberal religion. Instead of making strict laws about private matters it leaves the ultimate decision to the individual. Also Hinduism is flexible. It believes in moulding its values with time to suit circumstances of a particular era. The values which prevent an individual from living his life to the fullest are axed. Also it believes that the religion should continously evolve.

So these are the answers:

1. Abortion is allowed and perfectly moral.

2. Hinduism does not promote homosexuality but if two individuals want to enter in such a relationship then they are certainly allowed to do so because their happiness is given supreme importance. So gay/lesbian relationships and marriages are moral.

3. Hinduism would promote contraception for safety of an individual and when to reproduce is afterall his/her wish.

4. Sex is not a taboo according to Hinduism. It is a way of accquiring pleasure and reproducing. And how it is done is left to an individual. So no sexual relations are forbidden.

Hinduism believes in freedom of an individual in his/her private matters.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:55 AM
Jainarayan Offline
Religion: Sanātana Dharma
Title:Vaishnava
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For contributing 10,000 posts! 

Frubals: 730
Jainarayan ignored the 'dry clean only' warning and ended up with really tight frubalsJainarayan ignored the 'dry clean only' warning and ended up with really tight frubalsJainarayan ignored the 'dry clean only' warning and ended up with really tight frubalsJainarayan ignored the 'dry clean only' warning and ended up with really tight frubalsJainarayan ignored the 'dry clean only' warning and ended up with really tight frubalsJainarayan ignored the 'dry clean only' warning and ended up with really tight frubalsJainarayan ignored the 'dry clean only' warning and ended up with really tight frubalsJainarayan ignored the 'dry clean only' warning and ended up with really tight frubals

I'm not so sure about abortion not being frowned upon. Though I understand it's common.

I don't think there is anything theological against homosexuality or homosexual unions. However, I'm hard-pressed to think that a Hindu priest would perform a same sex marriage not because of opposition to homosexuality, but as I understand it, marriage is the beginning of a procreative family. Of course, I could be wrong.

ॐ नमो नारायणाय
oṃ namo nārāyaṇāya
Old 07-12-2013, 08:37 AM
Vinayaka Offline
Religion: Saiva Hindu
Title:devotee
Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason: For being an excellent representative of your faith Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats Vinayaka ! 

Frubals: 765
Vinayaka wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallVinayaka wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallVinayaka wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallVinayaka wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallVinayaka wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallVinayaka wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallVinayaka wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallVinayaka wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallVinayaka wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too small

Quote:

Please understand that no one answer is authoritative, as we have many schools, and this forum doesn't have representatives of them all. So you will get a variety of answers. I'll give you my POV, which is form the Nandinatha sampradaya of the Saiva Siddhanta sect within Saivism, within Hinduism.

1) Abortion is wrong (not recommended) unless the mother's life is in grave danger. Then we'd try to save the mother. Still we tolerate it.

2) It's none of our business what other people do. Homosexuality is accepted, even noted in scripture.

3) Contraception is fine. Modern science has replaced the herbs of the olden days.

4) Not recommended, but tolerated.

5) It might depend on what you define as sexual relations. We're pretty 'normal'.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Viraja Offline
Religion: Vaishnava
Title:Jaya Jagannatha!

Frubals: 46
Viraja yanked your frubals the wedgie of their lives last night, so they may be a little limpy

[*]Is abortion allowed or disallowed? Is it considered immoral, moral, or morally neutral?

Any killing - human or animal is considered wrong in Hinduism. But one can freely get aborted if she chooses for there are clinics available to do the same. It is just expected that some moral judgement is advocated, for example, if a 14-yr old conceives out of rape, then it is better for EVRYONE that she aborts the child. Hinduism doesn't dictate, it just says one should act according to their own conscience.
[*]What do Hindus believe about homosexuality, gay marriage, homosexual sexual relations, and homosexual relationships?

As far as I know (heard), these are considered incorrect. But I do not know which scripture says it is incorrect. This is not my personal opinion, though. Personally I feel that if someone chooses these out of necessity, because they are made one way, then it is not incorrect.
[*]What do Hindus believe about contraception?

Just the same as rest of the world does .
[*]What do Hindus believe concerning premarital sex?

This is a taboo in Hinduism. Because during marriage time, the bride is made to sit on her father's laps and he is supposedly giving away a virgin in marriage to a suitable groom in front of the holy fire, which is considered to be a great gift that the bride's father does to the groom. Many marriages end in divorce if the bride lied about her virginity and got married to a different guy.
[*]Are certain kinds of sexual relations forbidden in Hinduism?

Yes, extramarital affairs are strictly forbidden. But there is no punishment accorded by any religious groups - it is just considered karmically binding if one participates in it. There are 5 major sins considered in Hinduism, and extramarital affairs is one of them.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Kalidas Offline
Religion: Shakta Hindu
Title:Uber Member

Frubals: 188
Kalidas has begun farting frubalsKalidas has begun farting frubalsKalidas has begun farting frubalsKalidas has begun farting frubals

Well concerning abortion I am still undecided what I believe but I am pro choice. Even if MY religion says its wrong yours may not. So long as science fact says you are not murdering you can have what ever religious belief you want and I won't stop you.

Gay marriage I don know if there is any scripture that forbids it and if even if there was I wouldn't care lol. I am all for it 110% . There is ZERO logical reason to be against allowing human beings the same rights as others. And homosexuality is a lot more natural then people think.

I don't know what most say about contraception buy I see no issue with it. Adults should make intelligent decisions. We believe in not harming other beings to me not being responsible to a potential child is a great harm. Not that mistakes can't happen, they do. But I think its better to avoid so contraception sounds a okay to me.

Pre martial sex? I'm sure were against it. Not that I am good at listening lol. I don't know marriage to me isn't the same it used to mean. Its a legal documentation now not the spiritual ritual it was of the past, I don't see how some legal paperwork makes my love all of a sudden "godly". Papers of man have no bearing on God an love.

Taboo? Well unless I am wrong Hindus are the authors of karma stura(I bet I spelled that wrong) there are even Scriptures of the deities making love in what other religions would determine "bad positions"

Ekam sat vipra bahudha vadanti

they say All is one, theologians call it by many names.
Rig Veda 1.164:46
Old 07-15-2013, 09:09 AM
Religion: Shaiva-Shakta Dharma
Title:Within Shiva's heart

Frubals: 227
StarryNightshade glares at people who slurp their frubalsStarryNightshade glares at people who slurp their frubalsStarryNightshade glares at people who slurp their frubalsStarryNightshade glares at people who slurp their frubalsStarryNightshade glares at people who slurp their frubals

Quote:
As far as I know:

1.) I'm not sure if it is ''allowed'', but it most certainly does happen for a variety of reasons.

2.) Nothing theological against homosexuality, but many modern Hindus are quite conservative due to the culture itself. It goes by an individual basis, rather than strictly religious. In my experience, most Hindus are neutral on the topic. As for gay-marriage, there a few priests who will perform them, but the majority will not.

3.) Don't know.

4.) It is highly discouraged, but not strictly forbidden. Most people have sex before marriage; Hindus included.

5.) Pedophilia and Bestiality, perhaps? Like in most other religions and societies.
Established in this cosmic vibration,
The sage goes beyond fear, decay, and death
To enter into infinite peace."

- Prashna Upanishad
Old 07-15-2013, 12:11 PM
Vinayaka Offline
Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason: For being an excellent representative of your faith Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats Vinayaka ! 

Vinayaka wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallVinayaka wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallVinayaka wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallVinayaka wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallVinayaka wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallVinayaka wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallVinayaka wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallVinayaka wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallVinayaka wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too small

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryNightshade View Post
Most people have sex before marriage; Hindus included.
In America, maybe. But I doubt if that holds in India, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, etc. There are 800 million Hindus in India, and maybe a million in America. Arranged marriage is still the most common form in India, and I seriously doubt if many have premarital sex ... maybe a very small %.

Last edited by Vinayaka; 07-15-2013 at 12:26 PM..
Old 07-15-2013, 12:54 PM
ZooGirl02 Offline
Religion: Unitarian Universalist
Title:Senior Member

Frubals: 81
ZooGirl02 hates having to clean up after all these frubalsZooGirl02 hates having to clean up after all these frubals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinayaka View Post
In America, maybe. But I doubt if that holds in India, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, etc. There are 800 million Hindus in India, and maybe a million in America. Arranged marriage is still the most common form in India, and I seriously doubt if many have premarital sex ... maybe a very small %.
I am glad to hear that more people are chaste in Southeast Asia. I believe that chastity is a virtue.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Vinayaka Offline

Quote:
I believe that chastity is a virtue.
So do I. You and I can certainly agree on that much, then.