Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Discuss Individual Religions (DIR) / Dharmic Religions DIR / Hinduism DIR
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-25-2013, 09:39 PM
Vayasya's Avatar
Vayasya Offline
Religion: Sanātana Dharma
Title:Śiva Devotee
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Earth
Gender: Male
Posts: 101
Frubals: 18
Vayasya gives frubals to the homeless
Default Questions about Linga Abhishekam

Namaste everyone, I am planning on obtaining a Lingam, and I would like to know some of the basics of conducting Linga Abhishekam. I would also like to know some things about Maha Shivratri, so if you would be so kind:
1.Does the Lingam have to be black, or is the black Lingam considered more auspicious?
2.Which hand is to be used to draw the Tripundra?
3.What materials are used to draw the Tripundra, and where would I obtain these materials?
4.What direction is the part of the Yoni where the liquid drains out supposed to face?
5.What direction do I face the Lingam?
6.Which hand do I use to pour and put materials on the Lingam?
7.What materials are used to pour and put on the Lingam?
8.How do I clean the Lingam?
9.Would it be likely that others will be celebrating Maha Shivratri at the local Hindu Temple, or is it more of an at home celebration?
10.If I were to go to the local Hindu Temple on Maha Shivratri or any other occasion, is there any specific clothes I should wear to be most respectful?
I thank you for listening to my questions and I thank you for any answers that may come.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-26-2013, 12:08 AM
Vinayaka Offline
Religion: Saiva Hindu
Title:devotee
Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason: For being an excellent representative of your faith Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats Vinayaka ! 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Canada
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,995
Frubals: 741
Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanh-Minh View Post
Namaste everyone, I am planning on obtaining a Lingam, and I would like to know some of the basics of conducting Linga Abhishekam. I would also like to know some things about Maha Shivratri, so if you would be so kind:
1.Does the Lingam have to be black, or is the black Lingam considered more auspicious?
2.Which hand is to be used to draw the Tripundra?
3.What materials are used to draw the Tripundra, and where would I obtain these materials?
4.What direction is the part of the Yoni where the liquid drains out supposed to face?
5.What direction do I face the Lingam?
6.Which hand do I use to pour and put materials on the Lingam?
7.What materials are used to pour and put on the Lingam?
8.How do I clean the Lingam?
9.Would it be likely that others will be celebrating Maha Shivratri at the local Hindu Temple, or is it more of an at home celebration?
10.If I were to go to the local Hindu Temple on Maha Shivratri or any other occasion, is there any specific clothes I should wear to be most respectful?
I thank you for listening to my questions and I thank you for any answers that may come.
Some answers will vary regionally, or by sect. But I'll give you my personal answers, and bracket other regional answers.

1. Black granite is best. (White marble is used in North India, other kinds elsewhere, like mercury algamams)
2. Right hand.
3. Vibhuthi, and sandalwood, and kumkuma ... purchase on line, or at some Indian stores. One supplier is minimela.com
4, 5 Siva faces south, you face north, the liquid drains east (This will vary widely regionally)
6. right hand
7, 8 in order ... water, milk, curd, honey, fruits, then lots of water at the end, and you can clean with your hand (materials will vary according to region, and also to the length or scomplexity of the puja/abhishekham)
8. Depends on temple ... some will stay all night... where are you? give them a call or look at their website
9. at temple generally, but not everyone ... some at home
10. modest clothing ... no jeans, shirt, if you become a regula, pajama, dhoti, veshti etc. Indian clothing ... no shoes, socks vary from temple to temple .. You can get Indian clothes at local shops, if there are any where you live
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-26-2013, 12:44 AM
Vayasya's Avatar
Vayasya Offline
Religion: Sanātana Dharma
Title:Śiva Devotee
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Earth
Gender: Male
Posts: 101
Frubals: 18
Vayasya gives frubals to the homeless
Default

I thank you for these answers. What do you think of those Narmada River natural stone Lingams? I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma and the local Temple is called The Hindu Temple of Greater Tulsa. Also I have some pants that my grandfather brought back from Vietnam last year, and from what I've seen traditional Indian and Vietnamese pants look very alike, but the shirt that comes with it is very decorated with buttons and dragons, do you think that would be acceptable?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-26-2013, 02:07 AM
Vinayaka Offline
Religion: Saiva Hindu
Title:devotee
Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason: For being an excellent representative of your faith Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats Vinayaka ! 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Canada
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,995
Frubals: 741
Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!
Default

You have a wonderfully trained Sivachariya priest there, and they have a nice website. The priest does other pujas elsewhere by invitation; he's that good. He really knows his stuff, and I mean on the inner significance level. So you could ask him. Your Vietnamese stuff might be a little offish for some traditional Hindus. A plain western shirt, in my view, would go over better. Ordinary western dress is okay too. Have a look at the pictures of men on the web site.

Enjoy. You have a whole month to prepare.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-26-2013, 02:15 AM
Vayasya's Avatar
Vayasya Offline
Religion: Sanātana Dharma
Title:Śiva Devotee
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Earth
Gender: Male
Posts: 101
Frubals: 18
Vayasya gives frubals to the homeless
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinayaka View Post
You have a wonderfully trained Sivachariya priest there, and they have a nice website. The priest does other pujas elsewhere by invitation; he's that good. He really knows his stuff, and I mean on the inner significance level. So you could ask him. Your Vietnamese stuff might be a little offish for some traditional Hindus. A plain western shirt, in my view, would go over better. Ordinary western dress is okay too. Have a look at the pictures of men on the web site.

Enjoy. You have a whole month to prepare.
Thanks for everything! Namaste!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-26-2013, 06:58 AM
Maya3 Offline
Religion: Advaita Hindu
Title:Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,698
Frubals: 177
Maya3 is filling up landfills everywhere with frubalsMaya3 is filling up landfills everywhere with frubalsMaya3 is filling up landfills everywhere with frubalsMaya3 is filling up landfills everywhere with frubals
Default

Vinayaka,

Quote:
5 Siva faces south, you face north, the liquid drains east (This will vary widely regionally)
I did not know this! And now I understand why the Shiva Shrine was moved to the opposite side of the room in my temple after major renovations!

I liked the way it was before better, because it was in a little alcove and it was so cosy to sit in there during pujas. But if you were late you never fit and had to sit outside and couldn't see well. Plus we couldn't help with the rituals because it was too cramped.
So I understood why they moved it, but I didn't know that there were other reasons too!

Thanh Minh,
Welcome to the forum!
Shivaratri is a big holiday it will likely be very packed in the temple.
Personally I like to go to the temple for part of the evening and then go home and meditate by myself.
I always say that I will stay up all night, but I always give up around 2 or so when I get sleepy.

Maya
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-26-2013, 07:23 AM
JayaBholenath's Avatar
JayaBholenath Offline
Religion: Hindu
Title:Lonely sadhak
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: France
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,042
Frubals: 296
JayaBholenath cackles hysterically after pulling the chair out from under your frubalsJayaBholenath cackles hysterically after pulling the chair out from under your frubalsJayaBholenath cackles hysterically after pulling the chair out from under your frubalsJayaBholenath cackles hysterically after pulling the chair out from under your frubalsJayaBholenath cackles hysterically after pulling the chair out from under your frubals
Default

Vanakkam,

Waow, Vinayaka answered the question perfectly already ! There are some things I didn't knew, thank you very much

Aum Namah Shivaya
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-26-2013, 10:28 AM
Vinayaka Offline
Religion: Saiva Hindu
Title:devotee
Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason: For being an excellent representative of your faith Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats Vinayaka ! 
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Canada
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,995
Frubals: 741
Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanh-Minh View Post
Thanks for everything! Namaste!
So what is the attraction for you to lingam worship?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-26-2013, 12:52 PM
Wannabe Yogi's Avatar
Wannabe Yogi Offline
Religion: Hinduism
Title:Esteemed Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SF Bay Area
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,860
Frubals: 565
Wannabe Yogi counsels you to try harder to connect with your inner frubalWannabe Yogi counsels you to try harder to connect with your inner frubalWannabe Yogi counsels you to try harder to connect with your inner frubalWannabe Yogi counsels you to try harder to connect with your inner frubalWannabe Yogi counsels you to try harder to connect with your inner frubalWannabe Yogi counsels you to try harder to connect with your inner frubalWannabe Yogi counsels you to try harder to connect with your inner frubalWannabe Yogi counsels you to try harder to connect with your inner frubal
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanh-Minh View Post
I thank you for these answers. What do you think of those Narmada River natural stone Lingams? I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma and the local Temple is called The Hindu Temple of Greater Tulsa. Also I have some pants that my grandfather brought back from Vietnam last year, and from what I've seen traditional Indian and Vietnamese pants look very alike, but the shirt that comes with it is very decorated with buttons and dragons, do you think that would be acceptable?
Just a question.

Are you a Champa Hindu from Vietnam.
__________________
"Consciousness minus conceptualization is the eternal Brahman." -Valmiki’s Yoga Vasistha-


"Yato mot, tato path" As many faiths, so many paths. -Ramakrishna-
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-26-2013, 05:41 PM
Vayasya's Avatar
Vayasya Offline
Religion: Sanātana Dharma
Title:Śiva Devotee
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Earth
Gender: Male
Posts: 101
Frubals: 18
Vayasya gives frubals to the homeless
Default

My attraction to worship with the Lingam is because to my understanding it represents the Infinite, which is something I've always been attracted to.
Also I wasn't born in Vietnam, but my grandparents came here after the war and they were originally Buddhists, however there is no doubt in my mind that some of my earlier ancestors were Champa Hindus and I believe that it is very honorable to revive the traditions of my ancestors. I feel it is a great shame that so many of the great Hindu Temples of the Champa such as the ones at Mỹ Sơn, were destroyed in a single week by carpet bombing during the war.

Last edited by Vayasya; 01-26-2013 at 05:44 PM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:38 PM.


Copyright © 2014 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.