Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Discuss Individual Religions (DIR) / Dharmic Religions DIR / Hinduism DIR
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Rainbow Mage Offline
Religion: Agn. Atheist/Buddhist
Title:Dharma Learner
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts. Congrats! 

Frubals: 788
Rainbow Mage was overcome by the smell of rotting frubalsRainbow Mage was overcome by the smell of rotting frubalsRainbow Mage was overcome by the smell of rotting frubalsRainbow Mage was overcome by the smell of rotting frubalsRainbow Mage was overcome by the smell of rotting frubalsRainbow Mage was overcome by the smell of rotting frubalsRainbow Mage was overcome by the smell of rotting frubalsRainbow Mage was overcome by the smell of rotting frubalsRainbow Mage was overcome by the smell of rotting frubals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
Shiva, to me, is one of those Gods who doesn't really care what you offer Him, as long as its done with full humility and love.
Yes, that's what I was reading on a Hindu site. The deities of the Trimurti (Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva) care more about the Bhakti then the actual offering.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Vinayaka Offline
Religion: Saiva Hindu
Title:devotee
Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason: For being an excellent representative of your faith Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats Vinayaka ! 

Frubals: 744
Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Falcon of God View Post
Well... people do pray to Lord Shiva for a husband... or for a good sex life.

This would not be a common prayer. A cleared path toward Godhead, clarity of mind, forgiveness of ignorance would be more in line with dharma. Praying for money or anything selfish is also not likely to be answered.

This is not to say people don't pray for these things, but mostly that would be misguided prayer according to SD tradition.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:23 PM
Vinayaka Offline
Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason: For being an excellent representative of your faith Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats Vinayaka ! 

Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!Vinayaka reminds you to practice safe fruballing - always wear a helmet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
Shiva, to me, is one of those Gods who doesn't really care what you offer Him, as long as its done with full humility and love.
I'm not so sure. There are many things that wouldn't be traditional, like booze or ganja, except perhaps in some rather obscure tantric sects.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Riverwolf Offline
Religion: The Old Way
Title:Gríma Prosōpon
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: For you constant hard work for making this a better forum Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: Man, how'd I miss that. :p Congrats RW! 

Frubals: 927
Riverwolf is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeRiverwolf is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeRiverwolf is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeRiverwolf is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeRiverwolf is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeRiverwolf is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeRiverwolf is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeRiverwolf is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeRiverwolf is curious whether these frubals are actual size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinayaka View Post
I'm not so sure. There are many things that wouldn't be traditional, like booze or ganja, except perhaps in some rather obscure tantric sects.
Well, one time Ramakrishna helped an alcoholic find God by giving him this advice: "Just offer your drink to the Divine Mother first, and then drink it as prasada." If memory serves me right, it worked.

But from what I've seen, "tradition" is really just "what's always been", not necessarily the only possible correctness, and therefore just because something is not traditional doesn't automatically mean it's incorrect.

While in a Temple, it's certainly best to stick with tradition (if only to avoid weird and possibly bad looks from other devotees and the priests), but at home, I don't think it's as big a deal.

Give our prayers of thanksgiving
To Life and John Barleycorn
Death is a new beginning;
What dies shall be reborn!
-Damh the Bard

Dreams can turn into nightmares, but in the end, they become dreams again.
-James Rolfe
Old 03-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Gaura Priya Offline
Title:IRL

Frubals: 329
Gaura Priya wonders whether cryogenic preservation is a suitable alternaitve to archiving old frubalsGaura Priya wonders whether cryogenic preservation is a suitable alternaitve to archiving old frubalsGaura Priya wonders whether cryogenic preservation is a suitable alternaitve to archiving old frubalsGaura Priya wonders whether cryogenic preservation is a suitable alternaitve to archiving old frubalsGaura Priya wonders whether cryogenic preservation is a suitable alternaitve to archiving old frubalsGaura Priya wonders whether cryogenic preservation is a suitable alternaitve to archiving old frubals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinayaka View Post
This would not be a common prayer. A cleared path toward Godhead, clarity of mind, forgiveness of ignorance would be more in line with dharma. Praying for money or anything selfish is also not likely to be answered.

This is not to say people don't pray for these things, but mostly that would be misguided prayer according to SD tradition.
I was always taught that we can pray to Lord Shiva for such things... husband, sex life, or any boon, because Lord Shiva is the most merciful devata.

Back when I was practicing Sanatana Dharma, I was complaining on how I could not find a good boyfriend to be a husband, and my friend offered to take me to Mahadeva's temple to pray for a husband. She said that it worked for her, and she tells other girls to pray to Him for a husband.

So we drove to the temple, but it was closed, LOL. But at least amongst the Hindu women I knew, Shambhu would be the one to ask for such boons!
Old 03-02-2011, 02:58 PM
Vinayaka Offline

Now that's one of the beauties of SD of course. To each his own. If one wants to pray for a better sex life or a nice husband, then all the power to them. People pray for all kinds of things, like success in exams, health, and more. The beauty is that this is mostly directly between devotee and Siva, and its based on an individual relationship between person/devotee and Him. Of course as observers, we can only comment based on our own experiences or on what we've read. So if two people live in very different areas of mind where the religion is practised differently, and different scriptures are read, different experiences had, naturally there will be different takes, each of them correct to the individual posing them.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:30 PM
chinu Online!
Religion: Stoic
Title:Chinu.

Frubals: 404
chinu was a bit surprised to find out that frubals look a LOT smaller in personchinu was a bit surprised to find out that frubals look a LOT smaller in personchinu was a bit surprised to find out that frubals look a LOT smaller in personchinu was a bit surprised to find out that frubals look a LOT smaller in personchinu was a bit surprised to find out that frubals look a LOT smaller in personchinu was a bit surprised to find out that frubals look a LOT smaller in personchinu was a bit surprised to find out that frubals look a LOT smaller in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egyptian Phoenix View Post
Nothing. I am not doing this for self gain. I am doing it for Lord Shiva.
Sounds like you are "His" lord, or like somebody is presenting birthday gift to any child.

_/\_
Chinu
Old 03-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Satsangi Offline
Religion: Sanatan Dharma
Title:Junior Member

Frubals: 100
Satsangi added a shed out back to store more frubalsSatsangi added a shed out back to store more frubals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egyptian Phoenix View Post
I want to give him something for Maha Shivaratri, but I'm not sure what. Any ideas friends?
People say that sugarcane juice abhishek to the Shiva Lingam bestows desired blessings.

Regards,
Old 03-07-2011, 04:28 AM
murugan Offline
Title:Freshman Member

Frubals: 12
murugan will work for frubals

On Shivaratri, only cold water and bael leaves are offered to the Shiva Lingam. Other traditional offerings, such as bathing Him in milk and Panchamruta (milk, curd, ghee, sugar and honey (symbols of sustenance) one after the other respectively, or anointing it with vermilion (kumkum) or white consecrated rice (Akshata) (symbols of fertility, or creation), are done on this day, when Lord Shiva is worshipped as the deity of dissolution.

Chanting the Rudram is considered very auspicious.