Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Discuss Individual Religions (DIR) / Neopagan or Revival Religions DIR / Goddess Spirituality and Worship DIR
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2012, 10:59 PM
sol_mas Offline
Religion: Dharmic Goddess Path
Title:Spiritual Investigator

Frubals: 12
sol_mas will work for frubals
Default Pan-Dianic Goddess Path

Following the PantheaCon discussions, one Dianic group has discussed being more inclusive:
From An important message from the Amazon Priestess Tribe:

"We see the vast ways in which people of all backgrounds and genders can find healing in the playfulness of the Great Maiden, the arms of the Great Mother, the wisdom of the Great Crone, and in the sovereignty of the Great Queen. By defining ourselves as Pan-Dianic, we hold the truth that the Goddess is embodied, exalted, and empowered in thousands of cultures, in a wide array of diverse bodies, and in countless different spiritual traditions, toward the highest possible good for all worlds."

Is our pagan landscape changing? Is it getting just bigger enough to support more branches, or is it just becoming more fragmented?

I'd like to think it's growing and evolving, but I'm an optimist.

-sm
Old 03-09-2012, 02:04 AM
Sylvan Offline
Religion: Sorcery
Title:Unrepentant goofer duster

Frubals: 64
Sylvan thinks frubals grow on treesSylvan thinks frubals grow on trees

I'd be interested in seeing your analysis of our PantheoCon-troversy thread.

I don't quite understand your question however.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:14 AM
Quintessence Offline
Religion: Neopagan
Title:The Elementalist
Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: For your hard work as a moderator. 

Frubals: 990
Quintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicQuintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicQuintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicQuintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicQuintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicQuintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicQuintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicQuintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicQuintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in public

Paganism, Neo or otherwise, has never been centralized in the sense of the more mainstream Western religions. Being "fragmented" is practically an intrinsic quality, as practices are shaped to local contexts. You could say that Paganism is like tofu; it takes on the flavor of its environment. It also has an inherent pluralism and tolerance for differences of beliefs that enable it to appear "united" in some sense. We worship different gods and have different customs, but we don't raise a fuss over this diversity.

Not sure if this is really an answer, but like Sylvan, I don't quite understand the question because I don't see the validity in your premise that Paganism has ever been non-fragmented/diverse.

"What is real is that which we need to believe exists in order that we might function."
Emma Restall Orr

Old 03-09-2012, 02:21 PM
sol_mas Offline
Religion: Dharmic Goddess Path
Title:Spiritual Investigator

sol_mas will work for frubals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvan View Post
I don't quite understand your question however.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintessence View Post
Not sure if this is really an answer, but like Sylvan, I don't quite understand the question because I don't see the validity in your premise that Paganism has ever been non-fragmented/diverse.
In hindsight I did word the question poorly, or at least, I didn't frame it well.

While most Paganism does seem fairly diverse, parts of Dianic Wicca do not appear to be, at least to me. When I first ventured into this murky Goddess-centered Paganism, I found that nearly all "organized" Goddess-centered groups, such as Dianic Wicca, are exclusive to "women-born-women". I get that - it makes a lot of sense, and am generally ok with it.

As a male Goddess-centered pagan, I simply found it interesting that at least one line of Dianic Wicca did branch, not to simply open to all women, regardless of birth, but to all genders.

I suppose I was really looking to see if others thought it was as significant as I did?

-sm
Old 03-09-2012, 07:36 PM
Quintessence Offline
Religion: Neopagan
Title:The Elementalist
Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: For your hard work as a moderator. 

Frubals: 990
Quintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicQuintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicQuintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicQuintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicQuintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicQuintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicQuintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicQuintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicQuintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in public

I really can't say. When I've been involved with local and online Neopagan communities, I have had little to no contact with those who are Dianic Wiccans/Witches. I can't speak to what is or isn't normal for those groups.

"What is real is that which we need to believe exists in order that we might function."
Emma Restall Orr

Old 03-10-2012, 10:13 PM
Lokabrenna Offline
Religion: Vanatru
Title:Freshman Member

Lokabrenna will work for frubals

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol_mas View Post
Following the PantheaCon discussions, one Dianic group has discussed being more inclusive:
From An important message from the Amazon Priestess Tribe:

"We see the vast ways in which people of all backgrounds and genders can find healing in the playfulness of the Great Maiden, the arms of the Great Mother, the wisdom of the Great Crone, and in the sovereignty of the Great Queen. By defining ourselves as Pan-Dianic, we hold the truth that the Goddess is embodied, exalted, and empowered in thousands of cultures, in a wide array of diverse bodies, and in countless different spiritual traditions, toward the highest possible good for all worlds."

Is our pagan landscape changing? Is it getting just bigger enough to support more branches, or is it just becoming more fragmented?

I'd like to think it's growing and evolving, but I'm an optimist.

-sm
I agree with Quintessence. Z. Budapest's tradition has always been very exclusive, and I think that even though there are Dianic groups that have welcomed all genders, none of them have as much publicity as hers does, ergo, when someone breaks away, it's a big deal.

However, I wouldn't necessarily refer to it as "fragmentation", we Pagans are a diverse group by nature, and it's only natural that traditions will split and form new traditions. It's more like modern Hinduism than Christianity, instead of sects fighting with each other over who has the correct interpretation of their book, you have many different groups under the banner of "Hindu" (which is kind of a problematic term, but I use it for sake of clarity) who are all considered "good Hindus" despite the fact that they all do different things.