Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Discuss Individual Religions (DIR) / Other Revealed Religions DIR / Gnosticism DIR
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 06:54 AM
gnostic Offline
Religion: Pi
Title:The Lost One
Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 639
gnostic says, with a twinkle, 'A frubal is 1 part hug, 1 part smile, and a dash of partially hydrogenated soybean oil'gnostic says, with a twinkle, 'A frubal is 1 part hug, 1 part smile, and a dash of partially hydrogenated soybean oil'gnostic says, with a twinkle, 'A frubal is 1 part hug, 1 part smile, and a dash of partially hydrogenated soybean oil'gnostic says, with a twinkle, 'A frubal is 1 part hug, 1 part smile, and a dash of partially hydrogenated soybean oil'gnostic says, with a twinkle, 'A frubal is 1 part hug, 1 part smile, and a dash of partially hydrogenated soybean oil'gnostic says, with a twinkle, 'A frubal is 1 part hug, 1 part smile, and a dash of partially hydrogenated soybean oil'gnostic says, with a twinkle, 'A frubal is 1 part hug, 1 part smile, and a dash of partially hydrogenated soybean oil'gnostic says, with a twinkle, 'A frubal is 1 part hug, 1 part smile, and a dash of partially hydrogenated soybean oil'

I am not a Gnostic, despite my Avatar/alias, but nevertheless, I'd recommend reading Apocryphon of John and the Gospel of Thomas.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:11 AM
Halcyon Offline
Religion: Secular Buddhism/Stoic
Title:Lord of the Badgers
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. 

Frubals: 1033
Halcyon rakes frubals into a huge pile and then gleefully jumps in the middle
Halcyon rakes frubals into a huge pile and then gleefully jumps in the middle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shermana View Post
The Pistis Sophia and other works explicitly confirm Reincarnation, including being born as an animal as a possibiity. I highly recommend that work to see what the earliest "Gnostics" may have believed, and it's highly Jewish, it's my favorite "Gnostic" work.
It's also exceptionally hard work to read.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:21 PM
Bob Dixon Offline
Religion: Christian, non-dual
Title:Not sure if Gnostic...

Frubals: 136
Bob Dixon is a ship on a sea of frubals.  Like the Titanic, only not sunk yet.Bob Dixon is a ship on a sea of frubals.  Like the Titanic, only not sunk yet.Bob Dixon is a ship on a sea of frubals.  Like the Titanic, only not sunk yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
It's also exceptionally hard work to read.
This, too, is true.
Personally, I can't decide if it's completely meaningless or simply too deep for me. I'm leaning towards too deep for me, but it really can be quite an impenetrable text.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:47 PM
Shermana Offline
Religion: Old-Israelite Nazarene
Title:Heretic
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For contributing 10.000 posts. Congrats Shermana! 

Frubals: 313
Shermana is a compulsive frubal lickerShermana is a compulsive frubal lickerShermana is a compulsive frubal lickerShermana is a compulsive frubal lickerShermana is a compulsive frubal lickerShermana is a compulsive frubal licker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dixon View Post
This, too, is true.
Personally, I can't decide if it's completely meaningless or simply too deep for me. I'm leaning towards too deep for me, but it really can be quite an impenetrable text.
I should make a whole thread on Pistis Sophia, it's far from meaningless, but it is most certainly deep. What I like most perhaps about it is that it demonstrates the Jewish origins of such "Gnostic" movements. It is most certainly not in the same league of the idea that the OT God was the false god Yaldaboath or that the OT itself is full of lies.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:41 PM
Bob Dixon Offline
Religion: Christian, non-dual
Title:Not sure if Gnostic...

Frubals: 136
Bob Dixon is a ship on a sea of frubals.  Like the Titanic, only not sunk yet.Bob Dixon is a ship on a sea of frubals.  Like the Titanic, only not sunk yet.Bob Dixon is a ship on a sea of frubals.  Like the Titanic, only not sunk yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shermana View Post
I should make a whole thread on Pistis Sophia, it's far from meaningless, but it is most certainly deep. What I like most perhaps about it is that it demonstrates the Jewish origins of such "Gnostic" movements. It is most certainly not in the same league of the idea that the OT God was the false god Yaldaboath or that the OT itself is full of lies.
You should make that thread, then. I'd be interested.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:05 PM
Heart0501 Offline
Religion: God in all
Title:Freshman Member

Frubals: 10
Heart0501 says, ''Zay 'ello to my little frubalz!

Jesus came to Earth to show us the Path to Heaven. His whole life is symbolic of the Path... such as riding the donkey into Jerusalem signify one has to be able to control the mind(donkey). His death on the cross (sacrifice for humanity as in rid of the 7 sins(egos) and resurrection(alive again and go to Heaven).

When one dies and still have sins(egos), one goes to Hell to get cleansed. There one has to go through punishment and suffering. After some times, Mother Nature will cleanse off the egos. Once cleansed, one will free the trapped Essence and start life cycles again.

Pistis Sophia is very good as Sherman suggested. Another one is The Nag Hamadhi Library
Old 02-15-2013, 01:58 PM
DanielR Offline
Religion: Nisargadatta-ism
Title:Sophomore Member

Frubals: 25
DanielR is the leader of a covert group of mutant frubals

What is the practice to be unified with God?? Is it mediation?
Old 08-08-2013, 02:50 AM
biased Offline
Religion: Agnostic Theist
Title:BANNED

Frubals: 19
biased gives frubals to the homeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielR View Post
What is the practice to be unified with God?? Is it mediation?
Some call it meditation or prayer
Old 08-09-2013, 04:40 PM
frangipani Offline
Title:Freshman Member

Frubals: 18
frangipani gives frubals to the homeless

God is the Pre Existent One, outside his sphere of conscious is nothing. He is the energy of all that exists. He cannot look outside Himself to another because there is no other outside of Him. It is within Him that we exist. We through Christ, that is the knowledge of the truth (gnosis) gain insight into Him. We look outside ourselves to find this truth, we find it and invite it in. Therefore we gain our strength, sense of purpose from outside of ourselves through Him and He inturn gains stimulation from within Himself through those of us who have found Him through Christ and let Him in, therefore we seek externally and take on His truth internally, He seeks internally because there is nothing external to Him for those who have found this truth and we find unity with Him and He finds unity with us and we are all of one spirit. Those without this encompassing gift of internal and external spiritualism are without and once their spirits are freed from the matter world through the death of the temporary body are found in the void having placed themselves there because they in their lifetime did not find the truth behind the illusion of the matter world. Since everything is within Him, He was and is before us and since there is nothing outside of Him and all that exists is within Him, He is greater than us He is Omnipotent.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:30 PM
graalbaum Offline
Religion: GraalBaum
Title:Triple Sun

Frubals: 15
graalbaum gives frubals to the homeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sum of Awe View Post
EDIT: I found an answer to that last question, so I would like to ask a couple more:

What are your views on Jesus, the resurrection, etc.
What happens to you, and others after death?
What are some good reads?
1The Christ is the unification of all opposites

2There is no such thing as death

3on Gnosticism?

mani, the angel and the column of glory,

Sophia by caitlin matthews,

Gnosis on the silk road,

I enjoyed all the Leloup books I've read, philip, The Sacred Embrace of Jesus and Mary etc.....

Gnosis: The Mysteries and Christianity: An Anthology of Essene, Gnostic and Christian Writing,

plus others mentioned already....