Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Religious Debates / General Religious Debates
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2010, 03:54 AM
Caladan Offline
Religion: Spice-hooked Fremen
Title:Agnostic Pantheist
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason: For your excellent knowledge Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason: For thorough research in regards to different topics through the years. Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts. Congrats Dan! 

Frubals: 1967
Caladan keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a time
Caladan keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a timeCaladan keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a timeCaladan keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a timeCaladan keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a timeCaladan keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a timeCaladan keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a timeCaladan keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a timeCaladan keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a timeCaladan keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a time

St Augustine, who largely devised the theory of original sin, thought that original sin was transmitted from generation to generation through sexual intercourse. Augustine did not say exactly how this happened.

Source: BBC - Religions - Christianity: Original sin
Old 06-19-2010, 05:24 AM
Mister Emu Offline
Religion: Christian
Title:Emu Extraordinaire
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  Tolerance Award:  - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 721
Mister Emu wants to bulldoze all your frubals to make room for a shopping mallMister Emu wants to bulldoze all your frubals to make room for a shopping mallMister Emu wants to bulldoze all your frubals to make room for a shopping mallMister Emu wants to bulldoze all your frubals to make room for a shopping mallMister Emu wants to bulldoze all your frubals to make room for a shopping mallMister Emu wants to bulldoze all your frubals to make room for a shopping mallMister Emu wants to bulldoze all your frubals to make room for a shopping mallMister Emu wants to bulldoze all your frubals to make room for a shopping mall

Quote:
If it is inevitable, it is not culpable, and therefore not sin.
Inevitable in that we will, not that we must. We can resist, but none of us fully do. That is one of the reasons why everyone needs/needed/will need Jesus.

Quote:
Because they have no choice but to 'sin', presumably.
Again, I never said that.

Last edited by Mister Emu; 06-19-2010 at 05:31 AM..
Old 06-19-2010, 05:35 AM
kejos Offline
Title:BANNED

Frubals: 819806
kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!
kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Emu View Post
Inevitable in that we will
Jesus didn't.

Quote:
Again, I never said that.
But it is implied.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:47 AM
Mister Emu Offline
Religion: Christian
Title:Emu Extraordinaire
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  Tolerance Award:  - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 721
Mister Emu wants to bulldoze all your frubals to make room for a shopping mallMister Emu wants to bulldoze all your frubals to make room for a shopping mallMister Emu wants to bulldoze all your frubals to make room for a shopping mallMister Emu wants to bulldoze all your frubals to make room for a shopping mallMister Emu wants to bulldoze all your frubals to make room for a shopping mallMister Emu wants to bulldoze all your frubals to make room for a shopping mallMister Emu wants to bulldoze all your frubals to make room for a shopping mallMister Emu wants to bulldoze all your frubals to make room for a shopping mall

Quote:
Jesus didn't.
Jesus is God.

Quote:
But it is implied.
No, it was not.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:55 AM
kejos Offline

kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!
kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!kejos says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Emu View Post
Jesus is God.
...because he didn't sin.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:41 AM
Dunemeister Offline
Religion: Eastern Orthodox
Title:Theist

Frubals: 393
Dunemeister was arrested for trying to claim frubals as tax deductionsDunemeister was arrested for trying to claim frubals as tax deductionsDunemeister was arrested for trying to claim frubals as tax deductionsDunemeister was arrested for trying to claim frubals as tax deductionsDunemeister was arrested for trying to claim frubals as tax deductionsDunemeister was arrested for trying to claim frubals as tax deductions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kejos View Post
...because he didn't sin.
Seems you've got this backward. He didn't sin because his divine nature prevented it. At least, that's the theory. I personally don't agree with the theory, but
Beauty is the beginning and end of all true knowledge: really to know anything, one must first love, and having known one must finally delight; only this "corresponds" to the trinitarian love and delight that creates.
- David Bentley Hart, The Beauty of the Infinite, 132
Old 06-19-2010, 07:51 AM
Dunemeister Offline
Religion: Eastern Orthodox
Title:Theist

Frubals: 393
Dunemeister was arrested for trying to claim frubals as tax deductionsDunemeister was arrested for trying to claim frubals as tax deductionsDunemeister was arrested for trying to claim frubals as tax deductionsDunemeister was arrested for trying to claim frubals as tax deductionsDunemeister was arrested for trying to claim frubals as tax deductionsDunemeister was arrested for trying to claim frubals as tax deductions

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKnight View Post
I thought one would be able to tell (from my post as a whole) that I was simplifying. I simplified a lot in that post.
Understandably, the medium in which we operate (discussion forum) forces all of us to simplify. I just think that it's possible, particularly with this topic, not to oversimplify. However, I think you've nailed it on the head with your second statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKnight
Perhaps my view stems from my being a former fundamentalist Christian. I always understood the idea as being rather Biblical. I think Paul makes it quite clear in his works.
You can make almost anything "biblical" in a volume as various, extended, complex, and multi-genred as the bible (Jewish, Christian, or especially combo). All you need to do is ignore those aspects of it that cause trouble for your view. That's what happens in spades with fundamentalists. I'm a recovering fundamentalist myself, so I get where they're coming from. But here they're just plain wrong.

I'd also argue that the Roman Catholic Church is just plain wrong and the Eastern Orthodox are just plain right. The Orthodox, some 1600 years ago, realized where this doctrine would lead to, a kind of stultifying and draconian form of political and social leverage of the clergy over the (emerging) laity. And boy, has it ever done that!
Beauty is the beginning and end of all true knowledge: really to know anything, one must first love, and having known one must finally delight; only this "corresponds" to the trinitarian love and delight that creates.
- David Bentley Hart, The Beauty of the Infinite, 132
Old 06-19-2010, 08:46 AM
BruceDLimber Offline
Religion: Baha'i
Title:Respected Member

Frubals: 236
BruceDLimber likes to be fruballed from behindBruceDLimber likes to be fruballed from behindBruceDLimber likes to be fruballed from behindBruceDLimber likes to be fruballed from behindBruceDLimber likes to be fruballed from behind

Of course I read it, Emu, but my point holds.

Nor did I ever deny we deal with the consequences.

The fact remains that some groups still claim sin IS inherited, which is why I pointed out that scripture states otherwise.

Peace,

Bruce
Old 06-19-2010, 08:51 AM
BruceDLimber Offline
Religion: Baha'i
Title:Respected Member

Frubals: 236
BruceDLimber likes to be fruballed from behindBruceDLimber likes to be fruballed from behindBruceDLimber likes to be fruballed from behindBruceDLimber likes to be fruballed from behindBruceDLimber likes to be fruballed from behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu
I believe God made man good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kejos View Post
That is without textual support, though.
Not so!

The Baha'i scriptures state this explicitly!:

"O SON OF SPIRIT!

"Noble I created thee, yet thou hast abased thyself.
"Rise, then, to that for which thou wast created."
--The Hidden Words, Part One, #22

Best! :-)

Bruce
Old 06-19-2010, 09:45 AM
kejos Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceDLimber View Post
Not so!

The Baha'i scriptures state this explicitly!:

"O SON OF SPIRIT!

"Noble I created thee, yet thou hast abased thyself.
"Rise, then, to that for which thou wast created."
--The Hidden Words, Part One, #22

Best! :-)

Bruce
Thank you, Bruce. I must say that I am never totally convinced by scriptures that are translated into 'King James' English.