Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Religious Debates / General Religious Debates
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Was Muhammad a man of Peace?
Yes, Muhammad was Peaceful 29 35.37%
Muhammad's society had issues that made him sometimes have to do things he'd rather not 22 26.83%
Muhammad wasn't peaceful 40 48.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-14-2010, 11:02 AM
Autodidact Offline
Religion: atheist
Title:Intentionally Blank
Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 1582
Autodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassy
Autodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassyAutodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassyAutodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassyAutodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassyAutodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassyAutodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassyAutodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassyAutodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassy

Muhammad was one of the most successful generals and war leaders in history. Obviously, you can be a great warrior or you can be peaceful, but you can't be both.

Quote:
The idea of Muhammad as a military man will be new to many. Yet he was a truly great general. In the space of a single decade he fought eight major battles, led eighteen raids, and planned another thirty-eight military operations where others were in command but operating under his orders and strategic direction. Wounded twice, he also twice experienced having his positions overrun by superior forces before he managed to turn the tables on his enemies and rally his men to victory. More than a great field general and tactician, he was also a military theorist, organizational reformer, strategic thinker, operational-level combat commander, political-military leader, heroic soldier, and revolutionary. The inventor of insurgency warfare and history's first successful practitioner, Muhammad had no military training before he commanded an army in the field.
history net

Quote:
With an ill-equipped body of three hundred and thirteen persons, having among them only two horses and seventy camels, the Prophet proceeded to Badr, about eighty miles from Medina, to meet the Meccan army. The forces met on the 17th of the month of Ramadhan, 2 A.H. (624 A.D.). After individual combats according to the custom of the Arabs, between Hamza, 'Ali and Ubaidah (all Hashimites) on the side of the Muslims and Utbah, Shaibah and Walid ibn 'Utbah (all Umayyads) from the Meccan ranks, a pitched battle ensued. The stakes were high. Both forces fought valiantly but the Muslims were animated by holy zeal. In the thick of the battle, the Prophet prayed to God, earnestly beseeching Him thus: "O Lord, forget not Thy promise of assistance! O Lord! If this little band were to perish, there will be none to offer worship unto Thee."
The Muslims got the upper hand. The Meccans were driven back, leaving seventy dead, including a number of their notable chiefs. Out of 70, thirty-five were killed by 'Ali ibn Abi Talib alone. It was his first war. Seventy others were taken prisoners. The Muslim force had lost fourteen men.
pro-Islam propaganda site

Does that sound peaceful to you?

Old 12-14-2010, 11:09 AM
Eliot Wild Offline
Title:Irreverent Agnostic Jerk

Frubals: 255
Eliot Wild has this annoying habit of using a 'devil voice' when saying the word 'frubal'Eliot Wild has this annoying habit of using a 'devil voice' when saying the word 'frubal'Eliot Wild has this annoying habit of using a 'devil voice' when saying the word 'frubal'Eliot Wild has this annoying habit of using a 'devil voice' when saying the word 'frubal'Eliot Wild has this annoying habit of using a 'devil voice' when saying the word 'frubal'

Quote:
"Was Muhammad Peaceful?"

Not to be dismissive of the OP nor disrespectful to its author, but does it really matter at this point whether or not some dead guy was peaceful or not?

And don't get me wrong, I realize Muhammad is a major historical figure and religious icon whom a lot of people, Muslims most obviously, view as being worthy of emulation. So, I guess the argument can be made that this fact alone makes the current question somewhat relevant.

But to that argument, I offer the following counter-statement: If you pattern your life after someone else, dead or living, then I think you are already misguided and it doesn't really matter the character you're striving to imitate. In other words, if you want to be just like Muhammad or Jesus or Thomas Jefferson or Mick Jagger or Payton Manning or anyone other than yourself, then I think you need to rethink who you are.

This is an opinion forum right? So here's mine laid out on this particular topic: There are admirable figures of antiquity who certainly can be looked at as 'role models', but nobody's freakin' perfect. We learn from their trials, their actions and the legends they left behind. We take the good and embrace it while we reject the bad and do our best to denounce it wherever it manifests itself.

If you've made an Idol out of a once living man or woman and you find yourself incapable of honest evaluation and reflection due to your worship of this person, if you are incapable of looking at both their greatness and their flaws with the same discerning objective eye, then you're probably already lost and false in your own beliefs.

I admire William Shakespeare and some of his fine qualities. But I realize he was just another man, and I certainly don't want to be him or even be just like him. I just appreciate his wisdom sometimes:

"To thine ownself be true, then it will follow, as surely as the night follows the day, that to no man, can you then be false."

________----________
Old 12-14-2010, 12:18 PM
mirfan Offline
Title:Freshman Member

Frubals: 10
mirfan says, ''Zay 'ello to my little frubalz!

Hi friends! first of all I believe Muhammad (PBUH) was the most peaceful person I have ever heard or read of (trust me on this I have read of too many people).
Old 12-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Religion: Gone with the wind
Title:Rockerjahili Rebel
Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: For your work as part of the staff. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For posting prolifically :D 

Frubals: 1069
England my lionheart worries that dead frubals might have ghosts
England my lionheart worries that dead frubals might have ghostsEngland my lionheart worries that dead frubals might have ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirfan View Post
Hi friends! first of all I believe Muhammad (PBUH) was the most peaceful person I have ever heard or read of (trust me on this I have read of too many people).
Hi,was he more peaceful than Gandhi
Old 12-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Kilgore Trout Offline
Religion: Misanthropic Humanist
Title:Ascetic Hedonist
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason: For your innovative and exceptional contributions to the forum Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: For making 20,000 posts,  simultaneously achieving both quality and quantity! 

Frubals: 4017
Kilgore Trout doesn't even want to know what's in frubal sausageKilgore Trout doesn't even want to know what's in frubal sausageKilgore Trout doesn't even want to know what's in frubal sausageKilgore Trout doesn't even want to know what's in frubal sausage
Kilgore Trout doesn't even want to know what's in frubal sausage

I'm pretty sure all he wanted to do was relax in bed with his 9 year old wife.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:36 PM
YmirGF Offline
Religion: Beyond the Light
Title:Bodhisattva
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For reaching the 10k mark 

Frubals: 3222
YmirGF gathered frubals and built a frubalman, using olives for eyes to make it creepierYmirGF gathered frubals and built a frubalman, using olives for eyes to make it creepierYmirGF gathered frubals and built a frubalman, using olives for eyes to make it creepier
YmirGF gathered frubals and built a frubalman, using olives for eyes to make it creepierYmirGF gathered frubals and built a frubalman, using olives for eyes to make it creepierYmirGF gathered frubals and built a frubalman, using olives for eyes to make it creepierYmirGF gathered frubals and built a frubalman, using olives for eyes to make it creepierYmirGF gathered frubals and built a frubalman, using olives for eyes to make it creepier

Sure Muhammad was peaceful on occasions... especially after successful military campaigns that crushed opposition to him...
Old 12-14-2010, 01:04 PM
ellenjanuary Offline
Religion: Pauline Israelite
Title:BANNED

Frubals: 636666
ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!
ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!

"Full of peace" implies "empty of war." We know that was not the case.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:05 PM
JustWondering Offline
Religion: Agnostic
Title:Jerk

Frubals: 69
JustWondering has a stash of frubals in the Cayman IslandsJustWondering has a stash of frubals in the Cayman Islands

Spreading religion through violence doesn't sound particularly peaceful to me.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Bismillah Offline
Religion: Islam
Title:Submit

Frubals: 370
Bismillah forgot to mention that frubals can be harmful if swallowedBismillah forgot to mention that frubals can be harmful if swallowedBismillah forgot to mention that frubals can be harmful if swallowedBismillah forgot to mention that frubals can be harmful if swallowedBismillah forgot to mention that frubals can be harmful if swallowedBismillah forgot to mention that frubals can be harmful if swallowed

Quote:
I suspect that the violence comes from the concept of purity that seems to be so important in islam. That leads to many kinds of cruelty, such as honour killings and the like. If anyone who disagrees in a matter of religion is seen as impure, it is a very short step to deciding that they should be eliminated. As a result, we see muslims attacking not only non-muslims but also other varieties of muslim.
You are wrong on all accounts.
They want to extinguish the light of Allah with their mouths, but Allah refuses except to perfect His light, although the disbelievers dislike it. Al-Qur'an 9:32
Old 12-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Energy Offline
Religion: Agnosticism
Title:Seeker

Frubals: 12
Energy will work for frubals

I think he was peaceful. I read stories about his life, and I think he was at least a very progressive man. He treated women better than what was usual at that time. He was against violence, except self-defence. I know he has fought wars, but I don't know enough about that part of his life to have an opinion about it.