Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Religious Debates / General Religious Debates
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Ringer Offline
Religion: Christian
Title:Jar of Clay

Frubals: 256
Ringer has this annoying habit of using a 'devil voice' when saying the word 'frubal'Ringer has this annoying habit of using a 'devil voice' when saying the word 'frubal'Ringer has this annoying habit of using a 'devil voice' when saying the word 'frubal'Ringer has this annoying habit of using a 'devil voice' when saying the word 'frubal'Ringer has this annoying habit of using a 'devil voice' when saying the word 'frubal'
Default Biblical Exodus Out of Egypt

Is there any evidence to support that a massive exodus took place out Egypt that the Bible tells of? If not, how will that affect the way I'm eating my peppered beef jerky?
Old 08-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Storm Offline
Religion: Rogue Panentheist/ UU
Title:Proud Queer
Shield of Valour: Awarded for heroic and decisive victory in the battlefield of debate - Issue reason:  Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason:  Shield of 40,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 40,000 posts - Issue reason: That's a lot of posts! 

Frubals: 2084
Storm just wants to tickle your frubals until they giggle like schoolgirlsStorm just wants to tickle your frubals until they giggle like schoolgirls
Storm just wants to tickle your frubals until they giggle like schoolgirlsStorm just wants to tickle your frubals until they giggle like schoolgirls

AFAIK, what archaeological evidence there is discredits the traditional story of Exodus.

For instance, the Egyptians did not build their wondrous monuments on the backs of slaves. Rather, they had an entire class of fairly well-off and expert workers.

Check out my shiny new blog, Knitting In Church!
Old 08-10-2009, 10:09 AM
9-10ths_Penguin Online!
Religion: Hug Universalist
Title:1/10 البطريق
Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Tolerance Award:  - Issue reason:  Shield of 30,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 30,000 posts - Issue reason: For getting 30,000 Posts SPECIAL AWARD: Shield of The Silver Tongue: Awarded to a true wordsmith. A master at cleverly expressing themselves to great effect - Issue reason: For always being able to effectively express yourself. 

Frubals: 3079
9-10ths_Penguin is relieved frubals were on the ark9-10ths_Penguin is relieved frubals were on the ark9-10ths_Penguin is relieved frubals were on the ark
9-10ths_Penguin is relieved frubals were on the ark9-10ths_Penguin is relieved frubals were on the ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringer View Post
Is there any evidence to support that a massive exodus took place out Egypt that the Bible tells of?
AFIAK, the only evidence is the Biblical account. All the archaeological evidence I've heard of is either silent on the matter or indicates that the Exodus didn't happen.

Quote:
If not, how will that affect the way I'm eating my peppered beef jerky?
I don't know about you, but it might lead some people to wonder whether they might want to sprinkle some cheese on that jerky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
For instance, the Egyptians did not build their wondrous monuments on the backs of slaves. Rather, they had an entire class of fairly well-off and expert workers.
Indeed. And farmers would work for the Pharoah in the months their fields were flooded as their way of paying tax.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Phasmid Offline
Title:Mr Invisible

Frubals: 328
Phasmid wonders whether cryogenic preservation is a suitable alternaitve to archiving old frubalsPhasmid wonders whether cryogenic preservation is a suitable alternaitve to archiving old frubalsPhasmid wonders whether cryogenic preservation is a suitable alternaitve to archiving old frubalsPhasmid wonders whether cryogenic preservation is a suitable alternaitve to archiving old frubalsPhasmid wonders whether cryogenic preservation is a suitable alternaitve to archiving old frubalsPhasmid wonders whether cryogenic preservation is a suitable alternaitve to archiving old frubals

Ancient Egyptians - better than us since... way back.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Title:Pater Familias
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason: This award has been given to your peers and is well deserved. Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of 40,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 40,000 posts - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 3409
angellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubals
angellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubals

Quote:
Is there any evidence to support that a massive exodus took place out Egypt that the Bible tells of? If not, how will that affect the way I'm eating my peppered beef jerky?
Put it this way: it's easier to twist the historical and archaeological data to make an Exodus possible than it is to say that dinosaurs and humans co-existed 6,000 years ago.

Of more interest to me personally is the conquest of the Hebrews and the subsequent kingdoms. There is almost no archeological evidence for Jews living in the holy land in the Iron and Bronze Age. The Hebrews first come on the scene - with earlier traditions - with the Egyptian, Babylonian / Persian, and Greek conquests of what is now Palestine.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Ringer Offline

Ringer has this annoying habit of using a 'devil voice' when saying the word 'frubal'Ringer has this annoying habit of using a 'devil voice' when saying the word 'frubal'Ringer has this annoying habit of using a 'devil voice' when saying the word 'frubal'Ringer has this annoying habit of using a 'devil voice' when saying the word 'frubal'Ringer has this annoying habit of using a 'devil voice' when saying the word 'frubal'

So, would it be more logical to believe that:
  • The exodus never took place?
  • The exodus did take place but was greatly embellished?
If the story was greatly embellished I guess my question would be, why? I don't know why I've never really given the exodus much thought but I thought this was a huge deal for Jewish people even to this day. Is this really nothing more than a fabricated story or, at best, a huge embellishment?
Old 08-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason: This award has been given to your peers and is well deserved. Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of 40,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 40,000 posts - Issue reason:  

angellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubals
angellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubals

Quote:
If the story was greatly embellished I guess my question would be, why? I don't know why I've never really given the exodus much thought but I thought this was a huge deal for Jewish people even to this day. Is this really nothing more than a fabricated story or, at best, a huge embellishment?
Like many other peoples, it is an extravagent story of the beginning of a people.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Ringer Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by angellous_evangellous View Post
Like many other peoples, it is an extravagent story of the beginning of a people.
Thanks...
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2009, 10:58 AM

Ah, it's not so bad.

On the one hand, we can know that the Conquest of Palestines by the Hebrews was not a genocide. It's extreme, but some polemists attack Christianity for this...

On the other hand, Christians have to reach out by faith for a salvation history rather than rely on scholarly arguments.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Storm Offline
Religion: Rogue Panentheist/ UU
Title:Proud Queer
Shield of Valour: Awarded for heroic and decisive victory in the battlefield of debate - Issue reason:  Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason:  Shield of 40,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 40,000 posts - Issue reason: That's a lot of posts! 

Frubals: 2084

Quote:
Though I'm far from an expert, I lean to the former.

Quote:
Virtually every ancient culture mythologized its origins and borrowed from other cultures.

Check out my shiny new blog, Knitting In Church!
Closed Thread