Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Religious Debates / General Religious Debates
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2008, 12:21 PM
antonio Offline
Religion: follow Jesus
Title:Freshman Member

Frubals: 23
antonio invested heavily in the foreign frubal economy
Default What does "take away the sins of the world" mean?

What does scripture mean when it says, "behold the lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world?"[NOTE: I don't claim to know the answer. I am just taking a stab at it with a mind, untrained in scholarly theology. my apologies for being wordy.]

Q1. Was there forgiveness of sin before Jesus was born and if so, why would a redeemer be needed..
Q2. Did Jesus only provide a new way to get sin forgiven or did Jesus really take away the sins of the world?

A1. How is separation between God and men and women overcome? In the days of Moses and the Jewish prophets, forgiveness of sin came through the shedding of the specified animal’s blood on Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement. The Jewish high priest went into the Holy of Holies in the Jewish Tabernacle or Temple with the animal's blood and put it upon the altar. The instructions God gave for this are found in the books of Moses. When our Jewish people obeyed God, atonement was made for the sins of the people. In the book of Moses, Leviticus, Chapter 5, there were daily sacrifices offered for the sins of Israelites. When a person sinned, he brought the specified sacrifice to the Jewish priest, confessed his sin to God, the animal's blood was shed and atonement was made. The person’s sin was forgiven by God and the sinner was cleansed.
So if sin could be forgiven, what did Jesus accomplish. If humans still have to ask for forgiveness, over and over knowing full well they will sin again, and if they must repent and turn from sin, knowing they can try but will only fail, what is different after the New Covenant?

A2. If someone tells me, "Antonio, take away the dishes from the table.
That would mean, clear the table and leave no dish on it. To Someone later looking at the table, ready to start a meeting, "dishes on the table" would not be a matter that was yet to be dealt with. Am I being idiotically simplistic. in comparing this story to bible verses? Perhaps. However, the most significan and credible scriptures never mention repentance, or punishment for sin.

a) And a certain ruler questioned Him, saying, “Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?” And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good except God alone. You know the commandments, ‘Do not commit adultery, Do not murder, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother.’” And he said, “All these things I have kept from my youth.” And when Jesus heard this, He said to him, “One thing you still lack; sell all that you possess, and distribute it to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” But when he had heard these things, he became very sad; for he was extremely rich. MT 19

Jesus never told him of the New Covenant,the Gospel. Rather, Jesus preached “Law”. Jesus often did this. But wasn't it to demonstrate how impossible it was to keep the Law--to make us realize how we could never be good enough to merit eternal life.

b) John 3:16 teaches: "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have everlasting life." in Mark, John the Baptist's preaching is focused on repentance (a theme developed still further in the direction of judgment by Matthew and Luke, who speak about the one who is to come as a thresher, beating out and burning the chaff Luke also says, "Even now, the axe is laid to the root of the tree"). But in the Fourth Gospel, the Baptist speaks only about the one who is to come, the Messiah, and, when he recognizes Jesus, calls him "The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world" - he does not call him judge, destroyer, or thresher but saviour. Is it possible that John's encounter with Jesus brought about John's conversion, from a doctrine of judgment to a doctrine of atonement / redemption! salvation? He could have said anything but he said, "Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world."
Could it mean the same thing as someone at the meeting saying, "Hey, everybody, that's Antonio, he cleared the dishes. Thanks Antonio."

one more--
c) On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. "Teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?" "What is written in the Law?" he replied. "How do you read it?" He answered: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'" "You have answered correctly," Jesus replied. "Do this and you will live." But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?" In reply Jesus said: "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he fell into the hands of robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, took him to an inn and took care of him. The next day he took out two silver coins and gave them to the innkeeper. 'Look after him,' he said, 'and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.' "Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?" The expert in the law replied, "The one who had mercy on him." Jesus told him, "Go and do likewise." (NIV, Luke 10:25-37 )

Last edited by antonio; 08-03-2008 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: correction
Old 08-03-2008, 01:54 PM
Riverwolf Offline
Religion: The Old Way
Title:Gríma Prosōpon
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: For you constant hard work for making this a better forum Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: Man, how'd I miss that. :p Congrats RW! 

Frubals: 932
Riverwolf is suspicious that your frubals might be a little shinier than theseRiverwolf is suspicious that your frubals might be a little shinier than theseRiverwolf is suspicious that your frubals might be a little shinier than theseRiverwolf is suspicious that your frubals might be a little shinier than theseRiverwolf is suspicious that your frubals might be a little shinier than theseRiverwolf is suspicious that your frubals might be a little shinier than theseRiverwolf is suspicious that your frubals might be a little shinier than theseRiverwolf is suspicious that your frubals might be a little shinier than theseRiverwolf is suspicious that your frubals might be a little shinier than these

Because Yeh'vah didn't like killing animals. Before Yeshua, there wasn't any other way, and he wanted a way to save the animals while at the same time, saving us.

How's that?

Give our prayers of thanksgiving
To Life and John Barleycorn
Death is a new beginning;
What dies shall be reborn!
-Damh the Bard

Dreams can turn into nightmares, but in the end, they become dreams again.
-James Rolfe
Old 01-10-2011, 01:37 AM
Throck in Oz Offline
Title:Freshman Member

Frubals: 10
Throck in Oz says, ''Zay 'ello to my little frubalz!
Default the Lamb of god takes away the sin of the world

My understanding is this:
Using the Myth of Adam and Eve as a type of God's plan for salvation, when the adam sinned by eating of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, they knew they were naked, and were ashamed. God made them clothes out of animal skins to cover their nakedness.
Symbolically, it is important to remember that the animals had to die, in order to atone for the sin of the human beings. God thereby set up a symbolic way for atonement. In actual fact, God had said that if they ate of the fruit of that tree they would die. But God saved them from that consequence of their actions by the death of the animals.
And so throughout the tradition, the death of an animal became the symbolic atonement for the disobedience of the people. But right from the beginning, it was not according to God's word. God said that if they should eat of the fruit they would die. So atonement by way of an animal sacrifice was temporary, and must be done annually, over and over again, on the Day of Atonement, because the life of an animal is not equivalent to the life of a human being, and the sacrifice of a human being was forbidden by the command not to kill.

In the New Covenant, Jesus is symbolised as the Lamb of Atonement. As God become truly human, he at last is a full and sufficient substitute for humanity in the cosmic understanding. As the consequence of sin is death, only the death of a 'representative human', such as Adam was, can fully atone for the sins of the whole world. Jesus is God, and also truly human, so is the only person who can truly represent both. Because Jesus is without sin, he can be the substitute for all sin. His death restores true justice - as an animals could never do - and we are therefore truly reconciled with God, with one another, and with all creation.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:11 AM
Pegg Offline
Religion: Jehovah's Witness
Title:Hallowed Member
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For contributing 10,000 posts! 

Frubals: 356
Pegg worries that any minute your frubals will fall overPegg worries that any minute your frubals will fall overPegg worries that any minute your frubals will fall overPegg worries that any minute your frubals will fall overPegg worries that any minute your frubals will fall overPegg worries that any minute your frubals will fall over

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonio View Post
What does scripture mean when it says, "behold the lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world?"[NOTE: I don't claim to know the answer. I am just taking a stab at it with a mind, untrained in scholarly theology. my apologies for being wordy.]

Q1. Was there forgiveness of sin before Jesus was born and if so, why would a redeemer be needed..
Q2. Did Jesus only provide a new way to get sin forgiven or did Jesus really take away the sins of the world?

A1. How is separation between God and men and women overcome? In the days of Moses and the Jewish prophets, forgiveness of sin came through the shedding of the specified animal’s blood on Yom Kippur, the Day of Atonement. The Jewish high priest went into the Holy of Holies in the Jewish Tabernacle or Temple with the animal's blood and put it upon the altar. The instructions God gave for this are found in the books of Moses. When our Jewish people obeyed God, atonement was made for the sins of the people. In the book of Moses, Leviticus, Chapter 5, there were daily sacrifices offered for the sins of Israelites. When a person sinned, he brought the specified sacrifice to the Jewish priest, confessed his sin to God, the animal's blood was shed and atonement was made. The person’s sin was forgiven by God and the sinner was cleansed.
So if sin could be forgiven, what did Jesus accomplish. If humans still have to ask for forgiveness, over and over knowing full well they will sin again, and if they must repent and turn from sin, knowing they can try but will only fail, what is different after the New Covenant?

A2. If someone tells me, "Antonio, take away the dishes from the table.
That would mean, clear the table and leave no dish on it. To Someone later looking at the table, ready to start a meeting, "dishes on the table" would not be a matter that was yet to be dealt with. Am I being idiotically simplistic. in comparing this story to bible verses? Perhaps. However, the most significan and credible scriptures never mention repentance, or punishment for sin.

a) And a certain ruler questioned Him, saying, “Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?” And Jesus said to him, “Why do you call Me good? No one is good except God alone. You know the commandments, ‘Do not commit adultery, Do not murder, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honor your father and mother.’” And he said, “All these things I have kept from my youth.” And when Jesus heard this, He said to him, “One thing you still lack; sell all that you possess, and distribute it to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.” But when he had heard these things, he became very sad; for he was extremely rich. MT 19

Jesus never told him of the New Covenant,the Gospel. Rather, Jesus preached “Law”. Jesus often did this. But wasn't it to demonstrate how impossible it was to keep the Law--to make us realize how we could never be good enough to merit eternal life.

b) John 3:16 teaches: "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth on him should not perish, but have everlasting life." in Mark, John the Baptist's preaching is focused on repentance (a theme developed still further in the direction of judgment by Matthew and Luke, who speak about the one who is to come as a thresher, beating out and burning the chaff Luke also says, "Even now, the axe is laid to the root of the tree"). But in the Fourth Gospel, the Baptist speaks only about the one who is to come, the Messiah, and, when he recognizes Jesus, calls him "The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world" - he does not call him judge, destroyer, or thresher but saviour. Is it possible that John's encounter with Jesus brought about John's conversion, from a doctrine of judgment to a doctrine of atonement / redemption! salvation? He could have said anything but he said, "Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world."
Could it mean the same thing as someone at the meeting saying, "Hey, everybody, that's Antonio, he cleared the dishes. Thanks Antonio."

one more--
c) On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. "Teacher," he asked, "what must I do to inherit eternal life?" "What is written in the Law?" he replied. "How do you read it?" He answered: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'" "You have answered correctly," Jesus replied. "Do this and you will live." But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, "And who is my neighbor?" In reply Jesus said: "A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he fell into the hands of robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him. He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, took him to an inn and took care of him. The next day he took out two silver coins and gave them to the innkeeper. 'Look after him,' he said, 'and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.' "Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?" The expert in the law replied, "The one who had mercy on him." Jesus told him, "Go and do likewise." (NIV, Luke 10:25-37 )
are you asking questions here or are you giving them??? i cant tell
Old 01-10-2011, 07:43 AM
dyanaprajna2011 Offline
Religion: Buddhism
Title:Dharmapala
Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason: For your original threads and posts over the years. 

Frubals: 529
dyanaprajna2011 considers it casual and suave to say 'nice froobs baby'dyanaprajna2011 considers it casual and suave to say 'nice froobs baby'dyanaprajna2011 considers it casual and suave to say 'nice froobs baby'dyanaprajna2011 considers it casual and suave to say 'nice froobs baby'dyanaprajna2011 considers it casual and suave to say 'nice froobs baby'dyanaprajna2011 considers it casual and suave to say 'nice froobs baby'dyanaprajna2011 considers it casual and suave to say 'nice froobs baby'dyanaprajna2011 considers it casual and suave to say 'nice froobs baby'

When I was Eastern Orthodox, they had a way around this, although it wasn't exactly Biblical, but I'll offer an explanation.

Quote:
Yes, there was forgiveness of sin before Jesus. The answer to the second part will be explained in my answer to question 2.

Quote:
The main reason for Jesus' death and resurrection, according to Eastern Orthodox theology, was not to take away sin, but to defeat death and hell. According to this view, Jesus did not so much take away sin, but give man the power to overcome it. Forgiveness was already available, but the power to defeat it was not. Jesus told His disciples that "unless I go away, the Comforter (Holy Spirit) cannot come." And it is the Holy Spirit that resides within believers, and gives them the power to do good. So when it says that Jesus would "take away the sins of the world", what is meant by that, from the Eastern Orthodox perspective, was that He would not take away sin itself, but the power that it has over man.
Old 01-10-2011, 08:16 AM
Mestemia Offline
Religion: Apathetic Agnostic
Title:Advocatus Diaboli
Shield of Valour: Awarded for heroic and decisive victory in the battlefield of debate - Issue reason:  Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason:  Shield of 30,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 30,000 posts - Issue reason: For 30,000 poasts. Congrats Mes! 

Frubals: 2365
Mestemia just wants a cigarette after being fruballedMestemia just wants a cigarette after being fruballed
Mestemia just wants a cigarette after being fruballedMestemia just wants a cigarette after being fruballedMestemia just wants a cigarette after being fruballedMestemia just wants a cigarette after being fruballedMestemia just wants a cigarette after being fruballedMestemia just wants a cigarette after being fruballed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
Because Yeh'vah didn't like killing animals. Before Yeshua, there wasn't any other way, and he wanted a way to save the animals while at the same time, saving us.

How's that?
If he did not like killing animals, why did he set up the system that required the killing of animals especially if he knew before he even started that it would not work?
Old 01-10-2011, 08:19 AM
dyanaprajna2011 Offline
Religion: Buddhism
Title:Dharmapala
Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason: For your original threads and posts over the years. 

Frubals: 529
dyanaprajna2011 considers it casual and suave to say 'nice froobs baby'dyanaprajna2011 considers it casual and suave to say 'nice froobs baby'dyanaprajna2011 considers it casual and suave to say 'nice froobs baby'dyanaprajna2011 considers it casual and suave to say 'nice froobs baby'dyanaprajna2011 considers it casual and suave to say 'nice froobs baby'dyanaprajna2011 considers it casual and suave to say 'nice froobs baby'dyanaprajna2011 considers it casual and suave to say 'nice froobs baby'dyanaprajna2011 considers it casual and suave to say 'nice froobs baby'

It's my understanding, and I could be completely wrong, that God, in the OT, did not absolutely require the killing of animals for forgiveness, that was just the most common way. Apparently, some of the prophets disdained and did not condone this practice.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:41 AM
Riverwolf Offline
Religion: The Old Way
Title:Gríma Prosōpon
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: For you constant hard work for making this a better forum Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: Man, how'd I miss that. :p Congrats RW! 

Frubals: 932
Riverwolf is suspicious that your frubals might be a little shinier than theseRiverwolf is suspicious that your frubals might be a little shinier than theseRiverwolf is suspicious that your frubals might be a little shinier than theseRiverwolf is suspicious that your frubals might be a little shinier than theseRiverwolf is suspicious that your frubals might be a little shinier than theseRiverwolf is suspicious that your frubals might be a little shinier than theseRiverwolf is suspicious that your frubals might be a little shinier than theseRiverwolf is suspicious that your frubals might be a little shinier than theseRiverwolf is suspicious that your frubals might be a little shinier than these

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mestemia View Post
If he did not like killing animals, why did he set up the system that required the killing of animals especially if he knew before he even started that it would not work?
I don't know; I made that post two years ago.

Give our prayers of thanksgiving
To Life and John Barleycorn
Death is a new beginning;
What dies shall be reborn!
-Damh the Bard

Dreams can turn into nightmares, but in the end, they become dreams again.
-James Rolfe
Old 01-10-2011, 10:27 AM
Meow Mix Offline
Religion: Secular Humanism
Title:Sassypants Kitty
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 761
Meow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstick

Why would an omnipotent being require any sort of means to an end (e.g. sacrifices)?

That's the logical problem, and that's speaking nothing of the subjective/aesthetic problem of the primitive barbarism involved in making sacrifices of blood and such.

Warming themselves by the ashes and the embers of martyrs, martyrs that they never understood

They will be lost.
Buried in the sands of time,
Relics disgraced from an era forgotten.
Far too consumed by the allure of wealth to be concerned for the backs on which they stood

The weak and broken, the castaways out in the cold
They will be left abandoned by those who claim to care

Those who stand proudly on the wrong side of history:
Mark my words -- your time will come.

The heartless will be the sick and the dying
Left with nowhere to turn

I hope I have the strength to help them in their time of need,
To forgive them, though I know they never would have done the same."

(Misery Signals, "Lost Relics")
Old 01-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Mestemia Offline
Religion: Apathetic Agnostic
Title:Advocatus Diaboli
Shield of Valour: Awarded for heroic and decisive victory in the battlefield of debate - Issue reason:  Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason:  Shield of 30,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 30,000 posts - Issue reason: For 30,000 poasts. Congrats Mes! 

Frubals: 2365
Mestemia just wants a cigarette after being fruballedMestemia just wants a cigarette after being fruballed
Mestemia just wants a cigarette after being fruballedMestemia just wants a cigarette after being fruballedMestemia just wants a cigarette after being fruballedMestemia just wants a cigarette after being fruballedMestemia just wants a cigarette after being fruballedMestemia just wants a cigarette after being fruballed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
I don't know; I made that post two years ago.
lol.
My bad.
I did not notice the time stamp until after your reply.