Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Religious Debates / General Religious Debates
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Ozzie Offline
Religion: Neutral
Title:Intrepid Member

Frubals: 318
Ozzie tried fruballing the Parole Board, but in the end the goat & Jello incident drove their decisionOzzie tried fruballing the Parole Board, but in the end the goat & Jello incident drove their decisionOzzie tried fruballing the Parole Board, but in the end the goat & Jello incident drove their decisionOzzie tried fruballing the Parole Board, but in the end the goat & Jello incident drove their decisionOzzie tried fruballing the Parole Board, but in the end the goat & Jello incident drove their decisionOzzie tried fruballing the Parole Board, but in the end the goat & Jello incident drove their decision
Default Are you worried Buddhism equates to brainwashing?

Without meditation experience, I think concepts such as dissolution of self might provoke fear in someone unfamiliar with Buddhist meditation.

Is this the case with you?

Last edited by Ozzie; 03-08-2007 at 05:00 PM..
Old 03-08-2007, 05:02 PM
Engyo Offline
Religion: Buddhist
Title:Prince of Dorkness!
Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason: This was awarded to you by your peers and is well deserved. 

Frubals: 842
Engyo was seen frolicking naked with several attractive frubalsEngyo was seen frolicking naked with several attractive frubalsEngyo was seen frolicking naked with several attractive frubalsEngyo was seen frolicking naked with several attractive frubalsEngyo was seen frolicking naked with several attractive frubalsEngyo was seen frolicking naked with several attractive frubalsEngyo was seen frolicking naked with several attractive frubalsEngyo was seen frolicking naked with several attractive frubalsEngyo was seen frolicking naked with several attractive frubals

It can be somewhat disconcerting, until you start to get that it's much like your car's windshield or your glasses. If you don't clean them every once in a while, the crud gets so thick you can't see clearly. When you can't see clearly, you make poor choices. I like being able to see where I'm going, and what's coming at me.
"...I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church and State ... "
- Thomas Jefferson, US President, 1802
Namaste, Engyo
Old 03-08-2007, 05:22 PM
Kungfuzed Offline
Religion: Unitarian Universalist
Title:Student Nurse

Frubals: 297
Kungfuzed cackles hysterically after pulling the chair out from under your frubalsKungfuzed cackles hysterically after pulling the chair out from under your frubalsKungfuzed cackles hysterically after pulling the chair out from under your frubalsKungfuzed cackles hysterically after pulling the chair out from under your frubalsKungfuzed cackles hysterically after pulling the chair out from under your frubals

I've thought this about other religions but not Buddihsm, probably because I know so little about it. What parts of Buddhism do people think are brainwashing?

Maybe you can explain how meditation works too. Is it about emptying the mind completely with endless humming or are you supposed to think about something while you're meditating?
Old 03-08-2007, 07:48 PM
MaddLlama Offline
Title:Obstructor of justice
Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason: Award designated for members who show great knowledge of their religion. 

Frubals: 789
MaddLlama was overcome by the smell of rotting frubalsMaddLlama was overcome by the smell of rotting frubalsMaddLlama was overcome by the smell of rotting frubalsMaddLlama was overcome by the smell of rotting frubalsMaddLlama was overcome by the smell of rotting frubalsMaddLlama was overcome by the smell of rotting frubalsMaddLlama was overcome by the smell of rotting frubalsMaddLlama was overcome by the smell of rotting frubalsMaddLlama was overcome by the smell of rotting frubals

The concept was a bit strange to me when I first read about it, but that was because it takes a little bit of time to think about it to really understand what it means. Once I got past that, even before I start with meditation, I can accept and to a small degree internalize the idea. However, I don't think I would liken it to brainwashing at all. Before you really get the concepts, though, I think it can seem nihilistic.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:42 AM
darcyr Offline
Religion: Buddhist
Title:Freshman Member

Frubals: 4557
darcyr once ate an entire box of frubals in one sittingdarcyr once ate an entire box of frubals in one sittingdarcyr once ate an entire box of frubals in one sittingdarcyr once ate an entire box of frubals in one sitting
darcyr once ate an entire box of frubals in one sittingdarcyr once ate an entire box of frubals in one sittingdarcyr once ate an entire box of frubals in one sittingdarcyr once ate an entire box of frubals in one sittingdarcyr once ate an entire box of frubals in one sittingdarcyr once ate an entire box of frubals in one sittingdarcyr once ate an entire box of frubals in one sittingdarcyr once ate an entire box of frubals in one sitting

I think brainwashing implies that someone else is forcing you to believe things. Buddhism is all about self, meditation is about self discovery and it is not the same for any two people. Buddhists are not forcing you to have certain thoughts or only see their side of things.