Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Religious Debates / General Religious Debates
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Nehustan Offline
Title:Uber Member

Frubals: 257
Nehustan has this annoying habit of using a 'devil voice' when saying the word 'frubal'Nehustan has this annoying habit of using a 'devil voice' when saying the word 'frubal'Nehustan has this annoying habit of using a 'devil voice' when saying the word 'frubal'Nehustan has this annoying habit of using a 'devil voice' when saying the word 'frubal'Nehustan has this annoying habit of using a 'devil voice' when saying the word 'frubal'
Default Did King David have red hair????

I recall some years ago I was hanging out with a couple of Israeli girls. One was Ashkanasim the other an Arab Jew originally from Yemen. We got to speaking about King David and the Ashkanasim went to great length to tell me that KIng David was light skinned with Red Hair. I recall making the Yemeni laugh when I suggested maybe he used Henna. My point to the thread is really about the specific issue and if anyone knew any traditions about KIng David.

Here's a wiki link to show what I mean....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_hair

Myths and stories related to red hair

The Biblical mark of Cain is thought by some to have been red hair. Esau's entire body is supposed to have been covered with red hair. Also Judas Iscariot is sometimes supposed to have been redheaded. King David is also known for having red hair.

(by the way I know the topic reads 'read hair' I am an idiot....sue me!!)

Last edited by Nehustan; 03-10-2006 at 03:04 PM..
Old 03-10-2006, 03:23 PM
Religion: Jew
Title:Sophmore Member

Frubals: 2220
alexander garcia holds up signs in violent demonstrations for frubal rightsalexander garcia holds up signs in violent demonstrations for frubal rights
alexander garcia holds up signs in violent demonstrations for frubal rightsalexander garcia holds up signs in violent demonstrations for frubal rightsalexander garcia holds up signs in violent demonstrations for frubal rightsalexander garcia holds up signs in violent demonstrations for frubal rightsalexander garcia holds up signs in violent demonstrations for frubal rights

Hi, some would say that is Aryon nation angle someone spoke of on another site here , but what does the scriptures say? i can only think of Esau being mentioned i could be mistaken.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:24 PM
Nehustan Offline

Nehustan has this annoying habit of using a 'devil voice' when saying the word 'frubal'Nehustan has this annoying habit of using a 'devil voice' when saying the word 'frubal'Nehustan has this annoying habit of using a 'devil voice' when saying the word 'frubal'Nehustan has this annoying habit of using a 'devil voice' when saying the word 'frubal'Nehustan has this annoying habit of using a 'devil voice' when saying the word 'frubal'

Yep actually Alexander that was what lead me to start this thread...well that and the conversation with the two Israelis.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:40 PM
Judgement Day Offline
Title:Sophomore Member

Frubals: 68
Judgement Day has a stash of frubals in the Cayman IslandsJudgement Day has a stash of frubals in the Cayman Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nehustan
I recall some years ago I was hanging out with a couple of Israeli girls. One was Ashkanasim the other an Arab Jew originally from Yemen. We got to speaking about King David and the Ashkanasim went to great length to tell me that KIng David was light skinned with Red Hair. I recall making the Yemeni laugh when I suggested maybe he used Henna. My point to the thread is really about the specific issue and if anyone knew any traditions about KIng David.

Here's a wiki link to show what I mean....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_hair

Myths and stories related to red hair

The Biblical mark of Cain is thought by some to have been red hair. Esau's entire body is supposed to have been covered with red hair. Also Judas Iscariot is sometimes supposed to have been redheaded. King David is also known for having red hair.
According to a hadith by Tirmidhi, Muhammad (pbuh) also had red hair but it was arguable. Some say he dyed his hair, and others dont agree saying that before a hair turns white, it becomes naturally red first:

Abu Rimtha Taymi R.A. says: "I went with my son to Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihe wasallam). (Probably he had not see Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihe wasallam) before). When
I saw him I said to myself immediately, 'This is the true Messenger of Allah'. At that time Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihe wasallam) was wearing two pieces of green clothing. (His lungi -sarong,waist-wrap- and shawl were both green). On a few hairs there were signs of old age, but those hair were red".

Commentary
The signs of dignity, 'Anwaar-e- Nubuwwah'(prophetic illumination) and 'Aathari-Haybah' (signs of awe) were thus seen on the blessed face of Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihe wasallam).
When one sees these signs, such words naturally come to one's tongue: "There is no doubt he is Allah's Messenger and cannot be false." The ahaadith state that many Sahabah R.A. uttered such words when they first met Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihe wasallam). The above Hadith also states that the hair of Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihe wasallam) was red. The ulama disagreewhether Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihe wasallam) dyed his hair or not. Some are of the opinion that Rasulullah (Sallallahu alaihe wasallam) dyed his hair and they base their argument on the red hair. Others deny this and say that before the hair becomes white, it usually turns red. The redness was natural, and not that of a dye.

Maybe King David's red hair was also because of aging?

Old 03-10-2006, 03:52 PM
dawny0826 Offline
Title:Theist
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason: Your peers have nominated you for the kindness award, and it's well deserved. Tolerance Award:  - Issue reason: Your peers have nominated you for the tolerance award, and it's well deserved. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 amazing posts! 

Frubals: 1695
dawny0826 urges you to use your frubals for good and not evil
dawny0826 urges you to use your frubals for good and not evildawny0826 urges you to use your frubals for good and not evildawny0826 urges you to use your frubals for good and not evildawny0826 urges you to use your frubals for good and not evildawny0826 urges you to use your frubals for good and not evildawny0826 urges you to use your frubals for good and not evildawny0826 urges you to use your frubals for good and not evildawny0826 urges you to use your frubals for good and not evil

Dark hair isn't reddened but so much with henna, which I'm assuming is what they used during David's time. And I'm assuming that if he wasn't born red headed and fair skinned, he was born with dark hair.

If King David dyed his hair red with henna or a henna like substance...he would, naturally have to posess a natural hair color within the light to medium range for henna to really do it's thing. It adds a nice sheen and red highlights to dark hair but not enough to warrant a redhead label.

I'd be interested in learning about all that was used for hair coloring during that time frame.

I know I'm only rambling and am not contributing...I just find this is interesting.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:57 PM
Nehustan Offline

No dawny...that was exactly what I said to the two girls. To draw on JD's point. If David's Hair had greyed, then it may have been red due to Henna. It is very common today for older men to dye their hair with Henna. Maybe it was the same then. Either that or he had Northumbrian ancestors...which of course I am not ruling out
Old 03-10-2006, 05:29 PM
dawny0826 Offline
Title:Theist
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason: Your peers have nominated you for the kindness award, and it's well deserved. Tolerance Award:  - Issue reason: Your peers have nominated you for the tolerance award, and it's well deserved. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 amazing posts! 

Frubals: 1695
dawny0826 urges you to use your frubals for good and not evil
dawny0826 urges you to use your frubals for good and not evildawny0826 urges you to use your frubals for good and not evildawny0826 urges you to use your frubals for good and not evildawny0826 urges you to use your frubals for good and not evildawny0826 urges you to use your frubals for good and not evildawny0826 urges you to use your frubals for good and not evildawny0826 urges you to use your frubals for good and not evildawny0826 urges you to use your frubals for good and not evil

Quote:
No dawny...that was exactly what I said to the two girls. To draw on JD's point. If David's Hair had greyed, then it may have been red due to Henna. It is very common today for older men to dye their hair with Henna. Maybe it was the same then. Either that or he had Northumbrian ancestors...which of course I am not ruling out
Henna only coats the hair. And grey hair is typically so resistant to color...especially coarse grey hair...if these men were able to achieve true red hair using henna...I would love to know how they managed it. It's fascinating to me.

(Coming from a red head who went to cosmetology school. Henna is wonderful. I have a box in my bedroom but it takes a little work to get the right shade. I would love to be a fly on a wall back in the time of David...to see how these guys managed.)
Old 03-10-2006, 05:57 PM
Judgement Day Offline

Judgement Day has a stash of frubals in the Cayman IslandsJudgement Day has a stash of frubals in the Cayman Islands

Quote:
To draw on JD's point. If David's Hair had greyed, then it may have been red due to Henna. It is very common today for older men to dye their hair with Henna. Maybe it was the same then. Either that or he had Northumbrian ancestors...which of course I am not ruling out
No, I was saying that red hair naturally occurs before turning to grey.

Old 03-10-2006, 06:17 PM
Nehustan Offline

But you must have seen people with dyed beards etc.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:21 PM
Judgement Day Offline

Well according to these 2 sites, King David was red headed indeed:

http://www.redandproud.com/famous%20...d%20royals.htm

http://www.aish.com/torahportion/moray/Esau.asp (scroll down to the red head section)