Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Religious Debates / General Religious Debates
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Religion: Servant of the Messiah
Title:Truth Seeker

Frubals: 33
Tranquil Servant has a pet name for each frubal
Default Did The Prophet Muhammad have a particular faith before he received the revelations of the Quran?

I've read more than a couple of times that the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) went to the cave of Hira for seclusion and to pray but I've also read that he did not know religion before the revelations. Is this a misunderstanding or mistranslation of the word or term for prayer? Or is this a contradiction?
Old 06-04-2013, 09:34 AM
Pastek Offline
Religion: Sunni muslim
Title:Senior Member

Frubals: 124
Pastek stuffs frubals into couch cushions, along with the catsPastek stuffs frubals into couch cushions, along with the catsPastek stuffs frubals into couch cushions, along with the cats

If i remember, in the Sira (biography) of the Prophet Muhammad i've read that he didn't have a religion in particular.
And that he never took part at the polytheist rites.

He was thinking a lot about the creation, the universe etc, like prophet Abraham.
Maybe he was monotheist.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:54 PM
Matemkar Online!
Religion: Islam (Shia)
Title:Junior Member

Frubals: 66
Matemkar has a stash of frubals in the Cayman IslandsMatemkar has a stash of frubals in the Cayman Islands

Salam. I suggest the book, http://www.al-islam.org/message/ or as pdf: The Message - Ayatullah Ja'far Subhani.pdf 12th part is about this, "The Faith of the Prophet before the Prophetic Mission" ma salam
Old 06-20-2013, 07:59 PM
Rainbow Mage Offline
Religion: Agn. Atheist/Buddhist
Title:Dharma Learner
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts. Congrats! 

Frubals: 788
Rainbow Mage was overcome by the smell of rotting frubalsRainbow Mage was overcome by the smell of rotting frubalsRainbow Mage was overcome by the smell of rotting frubalsRainbow Mage was overcome by the smell of rotting frubalsRainbow Mage was overcome by the smell of rotting frubalsRainbow Mage was overcome by the smell of rotting frubalsRainbow Mage was overcome by the smell of rotting frubalsRainbow Mage was overcome by the smell of rotting frubalsRainbow Mage was overcome by the smell of rotting frubals

Wasn't there a movement of Arab Monotheists in mecca prior to Muhammad calling themselves Hanifs? If I recall
Old 06-20-2013, 08:06 PM
Matemkar Online!
Religion: Islam (Shia)
Title:Junior Member

Frubals: 66
Matemkar has a stash of frubals in the Cayman IslandsMatemkar has a stash of frubals in the Cayman Islands

Yeah, there was.. And Banu Hashim were pioneers in that faith..
Old 06-22-2013, 01:14 AM
Ingledsva Offline
Title:Myspace Refugee

Frubals: 171
Ingledsva falls for the old 'Pull my frubals' trick every timeIngledsva falls for the old 'Pull my frubals' trick every timeIngledsva falls for the old 'Pull my frubals' trick every timeIngledsva falls for the old 'Pull my frubals' trick every time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matemkar View Post
Salam. I suggest the book, The Message or as pdf: The Message - Ayatullah Ja'far Subhani.pdf 12th part is about this, "The Faith of the Prophet before the Prophetic Mission" ma salam
It basically just says he knew Allah from birth, before he was commissioned.

"Do what is RIGHT and eventually it will circle around to BLESS YOU.

Do what is WRONG and eventually it will circle around to BITE YOU on the BUTT!"
Old 06-22-2013, 01:22 AM
Caladan Offline
Religion: Spice-hooked Fremen
Title:Agnostic Pantheist
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason: For your excellent knowledge Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason: For thorough research in regards to different topics through the years. Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts. Congrats Dan! 

Frubals: 1967
Caladan keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a time
Caladan keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a timeCaladan keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a timeCaladan keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a timeCaladan keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a timeCaladan keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a timeCaladan keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a timeCaladan keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a timeCaladan keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a timeCaladan keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a time

Apparently Muhammad was not the first to preach monotheism in Arabia at the time and the time before his mission. There are traditions which hold that he had contact with such monotheists in early age.
While Muhammad was born into a powerful tribe, the Quraysh, which ruled Mecca and its sacred site the Kaaba when it was still a Pagan or at least a Henotheistic site, he was influenced by existing monotheistic groups and individuals: Jews, Christians, and local monotheists who were inspired by the Abrahamic faiths.
Little by little Muhammad took the Arabic pantheon and religion and removed the deities of the pantheon, making Allah the sole deity. More than a religious theology, it was a crucial political and strategic goal that was part of breaking the monopoly of the Quraysh over the Kaaba.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:53 PM
Religion: Servant of the Messiah
Title:Truth Seeker

Frubals: 33
Tranquil Servant has a pet name for each frubal

So he knew of religion but didn't adhere to a specific religion...So why did he go to the cave of Hira to pray??
Old 06-22-2013, 01:46 PM
Shia Islam Offline
Religion: Shia Islam
Title:Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.

Frubals: 143
Shia Islam writes cutesy love poems to frubals, dotting every 'i' with a little happy faceShia Islam writes cutesy love poems to frubals, dotting every 'i' with a little happy faceShia Islam writes cutesy love poems to frubals, dotting every 'i' with a little happy face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egyptian Phoenix View Post
Wasn't there a movement of Arab Monotheists in mecca prior to Muhammad calling themselves Hanifs? If I recall
Yes...the grandfather and the uncle of prophet Muhammed SAWA were among the successors to prophet Abraham a.s., and prophet Muhammed SAWA was following their religion...

We have great number of Hadiths supporting this...

The following is a related topic:
Was Abu Talib (as) a disbeliever?
Islam: Shia/Sunni

Informing Centre of Religious Beliefs:
http://www.religioninform.com/

Like us on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/religioninform

Follow us on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/Shia_Islam

Last edited by Shia Islam; 06-22-2013 at 01:51 PM..
Old 06-22-2013, 03:05 PM
ZooGirl02 Offline
Religion: Roman Catholic
Title:100% orthodox Catholic

Frubals: 80
ZooGirl02 hates having to clean up after all these frubalsZooGirl02 hates having to clean up after all these frubals

I have no idea whether he had a particular faith or not. I know that there was Paganism in the Arabian peninsula at the time. I am pretty sure that Catholicism existed there as well. I have also heard that there was a Christian heresy that existed in the area which was quite prevalent. I am not sure which heresy that is though.