Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Religious Debates / General Religious Debates
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-14-2012, 07:07 PM
Agnostic75 Offline
Title:Esteemed Member
Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason: For your extensive reading around different topics 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Gender: Undisclosed
Posts: 4,407
Frubals: 93
Agnostic75 gargles with frubalsAgnostic75 gargles with frubals
Default How will the U.S. Supreme Court rule on Propostiion 8?

Experts have predicted various possibilities, but one thing that I find to be interesting is that although Proposition 8 was passed in 2008 by 52% - 48%, today, a February 2012 article at Support for gay marriage takes dramatic leap in California, new poll shows - Field Polls -- President race - The Sacramento Bee says:

"Golden State registered voters now favor same-sex unions by 59 percent to 34 percent, a 25-point gap that is the largest margin of support for the issue in the three-plus decades the Field Poll has been asking the question."

I assume that the legalization of same-sex marriage in New York state in 2011, and the allowance of openly homosexual people to join the military in 2011, have helped to cause a good deal more support for same-sex marriage in California, and in other states.

Last edited by Agnostic75; 04-14-2012 at 07:12 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Mestemia's Avatar
Mestemia Offline
Religion: Apathetic Agnostic
Title:Advocatus Diaboli
Shield of Valour: Awarded for heroic and decisive victory in the battlefield of debate - Issue reason:  Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason:  Shield of 30,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 30,000 posts - Issue reason: For 30,000 poasts. Congrats Mes! 
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,932
Frubals: 2386
Mestemia digs through couch cusions looking for frubals you droppedMestemia digs through couch cusions looking for frubals you dropped
Mestemia digs through couch cusions looking for frubals you droppedMestemia digs through couch cusions looking for frubals you droppedMestemia digs through couch cusions looking for frubals you droppedMestemia digs through couch cusions looking for frubals you droppedMestemia digs through couch cusions looking for frubals you droppedMestemia digs through couch cusions looking for frubals you dropped
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic75 View Post
Experts have predicted various possibilities, but one thing that I find to be interesting is that although Proposition 8 was passed in 2008 by 52% - 48%, today, a February 2012 article at Support for gay marriage takes dramatic leap in California, new poll shows - Field Polls -- President race - The Sacramento Bee says:

"Golden State registered voters now favor same-sex unions by 59 percent to 34 percent, a 25-point gap that is the largest margin of support for the issue in the three-plus decades the Field Poll has been asking the question."

I assume that the legaliztion of same-sex marriage in New York state in 2011 has had some effect on some voters in California, and in other states.
I predict that since there has not been presented even a single legitimate legal reason to ban same sex marriage the US Supreme Court will have no choice but to overturn Prop 8 as unconstitutional.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-14-2012, 07:16 PM
Agnostic75 Offline
Title:Esteemed Member
Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason: For your extensive reading around different topics 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Gender: Undisclosed
Posts: 4,407
Frubals: 93
Agnostic75 gargles with frubalsAgnostic75 gargles with frubals
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mestemia
I predict that since there has not been presented even a single legitimate legal reason to ban same sex marriage the US Supreme Court will have no choice but to overturn Prop 8 as unconstitutional.
I hope so. Some experts have said that if that happens, it will probably only apply to California, not to all other states.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-14-2012, 07:33 PM
Mestemia's Avatar
Mestemia Offline
Religion: Apathetic Agnostic
Title:Advocatus Diaboli
Shield of Valour: Awarded for heroic and decisive victory in the battlefield of debate - Issue reason:  Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason:  Shield of 30,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 30,000 posts - Issue reason: For 30,000 poasts. Congrats Mes! 
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 30,932
Frubals: 2386
Mestemia digs through couch cusions looking for frubals you droppedMestemia digs through couch cusions looking for frubals you dropped
Mestemia digs through couch cusions looking for frubals you droppedMestemia digs through couch cusions looking for frubals you droppedMestemia digs through couch cusions looking for frubals you droppedMestemia digs through couch cusions looking for frubals you droppedMestemia digs through couch cusions looking for frubals you droppedMestemia digs through couch cusions looking for frubals you dropped
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic75 View Post
I hope so. Some experts have said that if that happens, it will probably only apply to California, not to all other states.
The US Supreme Court will have to be extremely careful in how they phrase their ruling in order to keep the other states from having to lift their bans as well.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-14-2012, 07:42 PM
YmirGF's Avatar
YmirGF Offline
Religion: Beyond the Light
Title:Bodhisattva
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For reaching the 10k mark 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: An island paradise
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,178
Frubals: 3206
YmirGF gathered frubals and built a frubalman, using olives for eyes to make it creepierYmirGF gathered frubals and built a frubalman, using olives for eyes to make it creepierYmirGF gathered frubals and built a frubalman, using olives for eyes to make it creepier
YmirGF gathered frubals and built a frubalman, using olives for eyes to make it creepierYmirGF gathered frubals and built a frubalman, using olives for eyes to make it creepierYmirGF gathered frubals and built a frubalman, using olives for eyes to make it creepierYmirGF gathered frubals and built a frubalman, using olives for eyes to make it creepierYmirGF gathered frubals and built a frubalman, using olives for eyes to make it creepier
Default

It's hard to imagine that this is even an issue. Get with the times, America.
__________________
It is true that the early bird gets the worm, however, it is the second mouse, that gets the cheese.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-14-2012, 09:15 PM
vepurusg Offline
Title:Sophmore Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Gender: Undisclosed
Posts: 233
Frubals: 21
vepurusg invested heavily in the foreign frubal economy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mestemia View Post
I predict that since there has not been presented even a single legitimate legal reason to ban same sex marriage the US Supreme Court will have no choice but to overturn Prop 8 as unconstitutional.
Unfortunately, that's not true. Judges can pretty much do whatever they want.

Look at the honorable Judge Reinhardt's dissent on Newdow against the treasonous majority:

2010 Newdow ruling: Dissent by 9th Circuit Judge Stephen Reinhardt

The ruling was blatantly unconstitutional, and failed all relevant tests and precedent- but they made it anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-14-2012, 09:29 PM
Title:BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Gender: Undisclosed
Posts: 7,580
Frubals: 312
The Doors of Perception is a compulsive frubal lickerThe Doors of Perception is a compulsive frubal lickerThe Doors of Perception is a compulsive frubal lickerThe Doors of Perception is a compulsive frubal lickerThe Doors of Perception is a compulsive frubal lickerThe Doors of Perception is a compulsive frubal licker
Default

I can't believe this is even an ongoing debate here in America, the supposed land of freedom and equality. Goodbye land of liberty, hello land of Conservative Christian fascism.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-14-2012, 09:38 PM
Reverend Rick's Avatar
Reverend Rick Offline
Religion: Universal Life
Title:Retired
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: Ya know, I just kind of assumed everybody up in Redland already got this. Sorry for the over-site Rick. :p Tolerance Award:  - Issue reason:  Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats Rick. :yes: 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Berea, Kentucky
Gender: Male
Posts: 20,841
Frubals: 3166
Reverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkReverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkReverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television network
Reverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkReverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkReverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkReverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television network
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doors of Perception View Post
Goodbye land of liberty, hello land of Conservative Christian fascism.
You act as if this is something new.
__________________
Life is Short, Eternity is Not.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-14-2012, 09:44 PM
Title:BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Gender: Undisclosed
Posts: 7,580
Frubals: 312
The Doors of Perception is a compulsive frubal lickerThe Doors of Perception is a compulsive frubal lickerThe Doors of Perception is a compulsive frubal lickerThe Doors of Perception is a compulsive frubal lickerThe Doors of Perception is a compulsive frubal lickerThe Doors of Perception is a compulsive frubal licker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Rick View Post
You act as if this is something new.
Haha maybe in that post, but not over all. I've been pointing out American fascism for years and years now, and the fact that it is backed by Christianity mostly shouldn't be so surprising.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-14-2012, 11:05 PM
Reverend Rick's Avatar
Reverend Rick Offline
Religion: Universal Life
Title:Retired
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: Ya know, I just kind of assumed everybody up in Redland already got this. Sorry for the over-site Rick. :p Tolerance Award:  - Issue reason:  Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats Rick. :yes: 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Berea, Kentucky
Gender: Male
Posts: 20,841
Frubals: 3166
Reverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkReverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkReverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television network
Reverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkReverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkReverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkReverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television network
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doors of Perception View Post
Haha maybe in that post, but not over all. I've been pointing out American fascism for years and years now, and the fact that it is backed by Christianity mostly shouldn't be so surprising.
You should say, Christians who misrepresent their religion. Not all Christians support proposition 8.

As a Christian, I am not suppose to be judgemental and am commanded to love my neighbor. I don't remember anywhere is the Bible that say to love my neighbor unless they are queer.
__________________
Life is Short, Eternity is Not.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:26 PM.


Copyright 2014 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.