Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Religious Debates / General Religious Debates
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2011, 10:59 AM
ellenjanuary Offline
Religion: Pauline Israelite
Title:BANNED

Frubals: 636666
ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!
ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldo View Post
An open letter to all mankind?
Let's stop right here for a moment.
I don't remember the scriptures being written in every possible language on Earth from the start.
No? How about "In the beginning, god created the heavens and the earth." What's universal and timely in there? The trine: God, heavens, earth. What's modern in there? In the physical universe, the beginning of structure is the trine... ya know, I kinda still don't like the Bible, but that ain't the Bible's fault; that's the fault of people trying to tell me my scripture. I could completely ignore it, but I could completely ignore English; speak in math and art... or I can ignore the wailings of a million despots and the ten thousand names of god they try to shove down each other's throat. Or, as I did; listen for the single, clear tone of love, and learn what most do not. The clearest voice speaks from the Bible with one name: I am.

But like the tao say: it is the emptiness of the bucket that makes it useful, and there are other paths... but to dismiss scripture entirely? That'd be like me, in my bath towel with the sword of allah running down the street yelling, "allah akhbar!" It may be true, but for how long, if all my neighbors are on a Fox News terror alert?
Old 06-18-2011, 11:07 AM
Adramelek Offline
Religion: Left-Hand Path
Title:Setian

Frubals: 281
Adramelek suavely slips your frubals to the dog under the tableAdramelek suavely slips your frubals to the dog under the tableAdramelek suavely slips your frubals to the dog under the tableAdramelek suavely slips your frubals to the dog under the tableAdramelek suavely slips your frubals to the dog under the table

After thinking about it and discussing these concepts with a good friend of mine, I have come to the following conclusions, which of course can change through further understanding on my part. For instance: was my becoming a disciple of the Left-Hand Path a free will decision or was it something I was compelled to do as a result of my seemingly natural inclination towards this path and a seemingly natural fascination by it by being exposed to it in the free society I live in? What if I was born into and lived in a society like that of the state of Iran? Would I have turned out the same way? Would I have become a Black Magician if I were raised in a fundamentalist Muslim state? I doubt it. I might have been naturally drawn to the beauty of the night and the darkness without ever knowing what it truly meant - I would have become a completely different person, a product of the strict fundamentalist Muslim society I lived in as I would have never been exposed to the sort of things that would have triggered that deeper Truth which lied dormant within my psyche.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

"I am within and beyond you, the Highest of Life, in majesty greater than the forces of the Universe,
whose eyes are the Face of the Sun and the Dark Fire of Set."
- The Word of Set
Old 06-18-2011, 11:27 AM
ellenjanuary Offline
Religion: Pauline Israelite
Title:BANNED

Frubals: 636666
ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!
ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!ellenjanuary says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adramelek View Post
After thinking about it and discussing these concepts with a good friend of mine, I have come to the following conclusions, which of course can change through further understanding on my part. For instance: was my becoming a disciple of the Left-Hand Path a free will decision or was it something I was compelled to do as a result of my seemingly natural inclination towards this path and a seemingly natural fascination by it by being exposed to it in the free society I live in? What if I was born into and lived in a society like that of the state of Iran? Would I have turned out the same way? Would I have become a Black Magician if I were raised in a fundamentalist Muslim state? I doubt it. I might have been naturally drawn to the beauty of the night and the darkness without ever knowing what it truly meant - I would have become a completely different person, a product of the strict fundamentalist Muslim society I lived in as I would have never been exposed to the sort of things that would have triggered that deeper Truth which lied dormant within my psyche.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\
I know this fifty-year old girl with the spiritual maturity of my left big toe because her force-fed Christianity denies her inner witchcraft making her more like... witch. Then there's the Haggard Ted whose closeted imp was the flame for the anti- until the gay emerged. You may have been consumed and made bland by the great digestive society... or Set may have assumed the challenge to make the desert bloom.

And I love the math, I have no shame in being Normal to the Mean; but I know that of all I am, the world sees the Gwynnies in between...
Old 06-18-2011, 01:00 PM
doppelgänger Offline
Title:Through the Looking Glass
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason: This scolarship award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: You have acheived over 10,000 posts here at RF. Congrats Brendan! 

Frubals: 2349
doppelgänger loves that little tingle you get right before a big frubaldoppelgänger loves that little tingle you get right before a big frubal
doppelgänger loves that little tingle you get right before a big frubaldoppelgänger loves that little tingle you get right before a big frubaldoppelgänger loves that little tingle you get right before a big frubaldoppelgänger loves that little tingle you get right before a big frubaldoppelgänger loves that little tingle you get right before a big frubaldoppelgänger loves that little tingle you get right before a big frubal

Quote:
Originally Posted by idav View Post
It is obvious that our influence has a huge impact in a cause and effect system. Our influence as it is now would impact the future in a ripple effect that is beyond what we can fathom.
"Our influence"? To what are you referring?
Old 06-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Koldo Offline
Title:Incredible Member

Frubals: 213
Koldo won an award for full-contact competitive frubal jugglingKoldo won an award for full-contact competitive frubal jugglingKoldo won an award for full-contact competitive frubal jugglingKoldo won an award for full-contact competitive frubal jugglingKoldo won an award for full-contact competitive frubal juggling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamena View Post
So he had no choice? That usually means it was done "against his will."
His will determined the answer.
He didn't get to choose his own will though.

Quote:
What is 'will' that's not free?
Simply 'will'.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:20 PM
Koldo Offline

Koldo won an award for full-contact competitive frubal jugglingKoldo won an award for full-contact competitive frubal jugglingKoldo won an award for full-contact competitive frubal jugglingKoldo won an award for full-contact competitive frubal jugglingKoldo won an award for full-contact competitive frubal juggling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenjanuary View Post
No? How about "In the beginning, god created the heavens and the earth." What's universal and timely in there? The trine: God, heavens, earth. What's modern in there? In the physical universe, the beginning of structure is the trine... ya know, I kinda still don't like the Bible, but that ain't the Bible's fault; that's the fault of people trying to tell me my scripture. I could completely ignore it, but I could completely ignore English; speak in math and art... or I can ignore the wailings of a million despots and the ten thousand names of god they try to shove down each other's throat. Or, as I did; listen for the single, clear tone of love, and learn what most do not. The clearest voice speaks from the Bible with one name: I am.

But like the tao say: it is the emptiness of the bucket that makes it useful, and there are other paths... but to dismiss scripture entirely? That'd be like me, in my bath towel with the sword of allah running down the street yelling, "allah akhbar!" It may be true, but for how long, if all my neighbors are on a Fox News terror alert?
I fail to understand what all this has to do with my post.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Adramelek Offline
Religion: Left-Hand Path
Title:Setian

Frubals: 281
Adramelek suavely slips your frubals to the dog under the tableAdramelek suavely slips your frubals to the dog under the tableAdramelek suavely slips your frubals to the dog under the tableAdramelek suavely slips your frubals to the dog under the tableAdramelek suavely slips your frubals to the dog under the table

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenjanuary View Post
You may have been consumed and made bland by the great digestive society... or Set may have assumed the challenge to make the desert bloom.
Thanks ellenjanuary,

After contemplating your statement above a paradox occured to me. Concerning your beautifuly crafted words of the last sentence - There is a statement within a Magical text contained within one of the "Jeweled Tablets of Set" authored by the Temple of Set which states: "I (Set) shall roam this world, and shall come to those who seek me." If I were to have been raised in a totalitarian Islamic state and still had been Touched by the hand of That which Is Set, thus, compeling me to seek after more zealously the study, and practice the Black Arts, I would have to hide completely my beliefs or suffer the sentence of death for blasphemy (the inquisition comes to mind). Either that or try to escape to a western country.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

"I am within and beyond you, the Highest of Life, in majesty greater than the forces of the Universe,
whose eyes are the Face of the Sun and the Dark Fire of Set."
- The Word of Set

Last edited by Adramelek; 06-18-2011 at 03:42 PM..
Old 06-18-2011, 04:58 PM
Willamena Offline
Religion: Just Me
Title:Just be there, doing that
Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason: This creative thread award is given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: For your work on the chat system Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason: For your excellent contributions over the years. Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason:  SPECIAL AWARD: Shield of the Enigma: For being absolutely puzzling and mysterious to all your peers. - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 3117
Willamena wants to know whether you have hugged your frubals todayWillamena wants to know whether you have hugged your frubals todayWillamena wants to know whether you have hugged your frubals today
Willamena wants to know whether you have hugged your frubals todayWillamena wants to know whether you have hugged your frubals todayWillamena wants to know whether you have hugged your frubals today

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldo View Post
His will determined the answer.
He didn't get to choose his own will though.
Do you mean he didn't choose to have will, the same way he didn't choose to have a mind? But he still uses his mind (freely) (willfully).
Old 06-18-2011, 08:23 PM
Koldo Offline

Quote:
Do you mean he didn't choose to have will, the same way he didn't choose to have a mind? But he still uses his mind (freely) (willfully).
No, i mean it the same way he didn't chose which mind to have.
Anyway, i wouldn't say an individual uses his mind.
An individual is his mind.

Last edited by Koldo; 06-18-2011 at 08:43 PM..
Old 06-18-2011, 09:35 PM
gnomon Offline
Religion: -----
Title:Celebrated Member

Frubals: 1132
gnomon noticed that frubals get all wrinkly after 4 hours in a hot tub
gnomon noticed that frubals get all wrinkly after 4 hours in a hot tubgnomon noticed that frubals get all wrinkly after 4 hours in a hot tubgnomon noticed that frubals get all wrinkly after 4 hours in a hot tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelgänger View Post
Here's a summary paper on the structure of testing for "theory of mind" tasks and autism, written by the current pre-eminent expert on the subject, cognitive psychologist Simon Baron-Cohen.

http://www.autism-community.com/wp-c...TD-and-ASD.pdf

Here are some abstracts. I may have a few of these papers in their full versions.

[The theory of the mind of the autistic child]. [Sante Ment Que. 1998] - PubMed result
[Theory of mind in Asperger syndrome]. [Encephale. 2007] - PubMed result
A new 'advanced' test of theory of mind: evidence ... [J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2002] - PubMed result
Comparison of social cognitive functioning in schi... [Psychol Med. 2010] - PubMed result
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adramelek View Post
Personally, I really don't know what to think about all this. I've come to this thread late, but with all the intelligent arguments made convinces me that I made a good "choice" when I decided to join the RF of my own "free will". This site definitely stimulates my brain. My question is, is it possible for free will and pre-destination to co-exist?

Xeper.
/Adramelek\
I don't know if I can answer your question but this is where I'm at in the discussion.

Did free will bring you to this site? Or me to this site? Not possessing a memory of events that I could tie into a precise logical step by step conclusion that would have inevitably led me to this site I would say it appears to be free will. After all I do recall what the specific search term was in Google that brought this forum to my attention. After a discussion at a political forum I googled "religion, forum, evolution" and this site came up. I joined, admonished Darkdale and responded to a post about Hurricane Katrina and BAM.......I'm here. Still reading. In what would appear to be a number of unrelated events of coming home from work, reading posts on one forum, deciding to do a Google search on a subject, finding this forum and joining to make a couple of points.

However, it may just be I cannot account for all the aspects of my own personality, personal experiences and recalled memories that I'm simply not consciously aware of all the events as well as all events outside my own consciousness by others that inevitably led me here. So I'm thinking that we react on impulses under the illusion of free will because it is not possible for our brains to accurately and precisely record all the facts that lead us to certain events. Which may be what I call a useful illusion because I know some of the arguments brought about under the notion of predeterminism often related to criminal activity which I don't think a society could function if the majority of adherents followed that philosophy.