Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Religious Debates / General Religious Debates
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2010, 08:21 AM
sandandfoam Offline
Religion: All
Title:Theist
Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts. Congrats Stephen. 

Frubals: 1597
sandandfoam writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty trucks
sandandfoam writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty truckssandandfoam writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty truckssandandfoam writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty truckssandandfoam writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty truckssandandfoam writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty truckssandandfoam writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty truckssandandfoam writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty truckssandandfoam writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty trucks
Default Religion (or lack of) as a 'defence mechanism'?

How do you know that your religion (or lack of) is not an unconscious 'defence mechanism'?
Old 10-27-2010, 08:24 AM
9-10ths_Penguin Offline
Religion: Hug Universalist
Title:1/10 البطريق
Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Tolerance Award:  - Issue reason:  Shield of 30,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 30,000 posts - Issue reason: For getting 30,000 Posts SPECIAL AWARD: Shield of The Silver Tongue: Awarded to a true wordsmith. A master at cleverly expressing themselves to great effect - Issue reason: For always being able to effectively express yourself. 

Frubals: 2973
9-10ths_Penguin doesn't think your frubals are supposed to smoke like that9-10ths_Penguin doesn't think your frubals are supposed to smoke like that
9-10ths_Penguin doesn't think your frubals are supposed to smoke like that9-10ths_Penguin doesn't think your frubals are supposed to smoke like that9-10ths_Penguin doesn't think your frubals are supposed to smoke like that9-10ths_Penguin doesn't think your frubals are supposed to smoke like that9-10ths_Penguin doesn't think your frubals are supposed to smoke like that9-10ths_Penguin doesn't think your frubals are supposed to smoke like that9-10ths_Penguin doesn't think your frubals are supposed to smoke like that9-10ths_Penguin doesn't think your frubals are supposed to smoke like that9-10ths_Penguin doesn't think your frubals are supposed to smoke like that

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenw View Post
How do you know that your religion (or lack of) is not an unconscious 'defence mechanism'?
If something's an "unconscious" thing, doesn't that mean by definition that we wouldn't know even if it was?
Old 10-27-2010, 08:30 AM
LuisDantas Online!
Religion: Ath/Agn, Buddhist
Title:Discreetly eccentric
Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: For your exceptional work at helping to make this a better forum Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts! Congrats, Luis! 

Frubals: 1074
LuisDantas was impressed to learn that they have frubal vending machines in Japan
LuisDantas was impressed to learn that they have frubal vending machines in JapanLuisDantas was impressed to learn that they have frubal vending machines in Japan

Religions are usually indeed defence mechanisms agains the unease of not knowing one's place in the overall scheme of things.

It does not follow that they are wrong or illusory, of course.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:30 AM
sandandfoam Offline
Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts. Congrats Stephen. 

sandandfoam writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty truckssandandfoam writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty truckssandandfoam writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty truckssandandfoam writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty truckssandandfoam writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty truckssandandfoam writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty truckssandandfoam writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty truckssandandfoam writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9-10ths_Penguin View Post
If something's an "unconscious" thing, doesn't that mean by definition that we wouldn't know even if it was?
That's how I see it. But I don't claim to know reality.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:31 AM
sandandfoam Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisDantas View Post
Religions are usually indeed defence mechanisms agains the unease of not knowing one's place in the overall scheme of things.

It does not follow that they are wrong or illusory, of course.
Why not 'no religions' too?
Old 10-27-2010, 08:33 AM
MW0082 Offline
Religion: Energy is GOD
Title:Jesus 4 Profit.... =)~

Frubals: 24
MW0082 invested heavily in the foreign frubal economy

Quote:
Something tells me mine may be, or how my curiousity began. That is a story for another day, or a completely different forum. I guess I lost faith in someone being there for me a long long time ago...............
Old 10-27-2010, 08:34 AM
Engyo Offline
Religion: Buddhist
Title:Prince of Dorkness!
Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason: This was awarded to you by your peers and is well deserved. 

Frubals: 842
Engyo was seen frolicking naked with several attractive frubalsEngyo was seen frolicking naked with several attractive frubalsEngyo was seen frolicking naked with several attractive frubalsEngyo was seen frolicking naked with several attractive frubalsEngyo was seen frolicking naked with several attractive frubalsEngyo was seen frolicking naked with several attractive frubalsEngyo was seen frolicking naked with several attractive frubalsEngyo was seen frolicking naked with several attractive frubalsEngyo was seen frolicking naked with several attractive frubals

Quote:
How would you logically get to "no religion" as a defense mechanism? I can't quite parse the thought process here.
"...I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church and State ... "
- Thomas Jefferson, US President, 1802
Namaste, Engyo
Old 10-27-2010, 08:36 AM
Smoke Offline
Title:Done here.
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: You have achieved over 10,000 posts at RF. Congratulations!! 

Frubals: 3290
Smoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubalsSmoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubalsSmoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubals
Smoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubalsSmoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubalsSmoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubalsSmoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubalsSmoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubals

Quote:
I guess I don't.

"If you don't believe that Puerto Rican Americans ought to be able to get married in this country, you are a bigot. If you don't think African Americans should be allowed in the military, you are a bigot. If you think it ought to be legal to refuse to hire Asian Americans, you are a bigot. And in case you're missing the point, there's only one group in America against whom the bigots are winning in all three areas."
-Michael Dixon
Old 10-27-2010, 08:36 AM
9-10ths_Penguin Offline
Religion: Hug Universalist
Title:1/10 البطريق
Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Tolerance Award:  - Issue reason:  Shield of 30,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 30,000 posts - Issue reason: For getting 30,000 Posts SPECIAL AWARD: Shield of The Silver Tongue: Awarded to a true wordsmith. A master at cleverly expressing themselves to great effect - Issue reason: For always being able to effectively express yourself. 

Frubals: 2973
9-10ths_Penguin doesn't think your frubals are supposed to smoke like that9-10ths_Penguin doesn't think your frubals are supposed to smoke like that
9-10ths_Penguin doesn't think your frubals are supposed to smoke like that9-10ths_Penguin doesn't think your frubals are supposed to smoke like that9-10ths_Penguin doesn't think your frubals are supposed to smoke like that9-10ths_Penguin doesn't think your frubals are supposed to smoke like that9-10ths_Penguin doesn't think your frubals are supposed to smoke like that9-10ths_Penguin doesn't think your frubals are supposed to smoke like that9-10ths_Penguin doesn't think your frubals are supposed to smoke like that9-10ths_Penguin doesn't think your frubals are supposed to smoke like that9-10ths_Penguin doesn't think your frubals are supposed to smoke like that

Quote:
But how would that work? "Defense mechanism" implies, well, defense. What would "no religion" defend a person against?
Old 10-27-2010, 08:37 AM
sandandfoam Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engyo View Post
How would you logically get to "no religion" as a defense mechanism? I can't quite parse the thought process here.

Would not an unconscious defence against religion facilitate one driven to find their world stable, predictable and controllable?