Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Religious Debates / General Religious Debates
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2010, 07:10 AM
Agnostic75 Offline
Title:Esteemed Member
Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason: For your extensive reading around different topics 

Frubals: 89
Agnostic75 says every time your read this, God slaps another frubalAgnostic75 says every time your read this, God slaps another frubal
Default Free speech does not trump life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Consider the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" is one of the most famous phrases in the United States Declaration of Independence, and considered by some as part of one of the most well crafted, influential sentences in the history of the English language. These three aspects are listed among the "unalienable rights" or sovereign rights of man. It is a paraphrasing of an earlier statement by English philosopher John Locke.
The pathetic Westboro Baptist Church obviously does not understand what "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" mean.

If free speech means "anything goes," then the Westboro Baptist Church would be free to picket the homes of U.S. Supreme Court justices, and picket any place that the justices goes for social activities. In addition, extreme harrassment could be used in politics and in many other venues.

I recommend that the U.S. Supreme Court rule that each state decide for itself how to interpret free speech. That way, the people who are most affected by deplorable people like the Westboro Baptist Church will be able to interpret free speech for themselves.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:28 AM
Tarheeler Offline
Religion: Judaism
Title:Just Jewish

Frubals: 423
Tarheeler experimented with frubals in college but never inhaledTarheeler experimented with frubals in college but never inhaledTarheeler experimented with frubals in college but never inhaledTarheeler experimented with frubals in college but never inhaledTarheeler experimented with frubals in college but never inhaledTarheeler experimented with frubals in college but never inhaledTarheeler experimented with frubals in college but never inhaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic75 View Post
Consider the following:

The pathetic Westboro Baptist Church obviously does not understand what "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" mean.

If free speech means "anything goes," then the Westboro Baptist Church would be free to picket the homes of U.S. Supreme Court justices, and picket any place that the justices goes for social activities. In addition, extreme harrassment could be used in politics and in many other venues.

I recommend that the U.S. Supreme Court rule that each state decide for itself how to interpret free speech. That way, the people who are most affected by deplorable people like the Westboro Baptist Church will be able to interpret free speech for themselves.
Sure, and while we're at it we can let each state go back to deciding all other civil and human rights. I mean why should the federal government have a say in things like who is a citizen, who can be free, who can own a gun, who can be beaten by the police, who can worship the religion of their choice, who can vote.....

Certain things fall under the jurisdiction of the federal government. This is one of them.

As for the Westboro Baptist Church - as much as I hate what they're doing, they should have the right to do it. We do not have the right be not be offended. The best way to stop them is to use your right to free speech, your right to assemble, and your right to protest and fight them at their own game.

The Patriot Guard has the right idea. Get out there and use our rights to effect the change we want. Don't do it by revoking those rights.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:18 AM
jmvizanko Offline
Religion: Implicit Atheist
Title:Uber Tool

Frubals: 68
jmvizanko has a stash of frubals in the Cayman Islandsjmvizanko has a stash of frubals in the Cayman Islands

The best way to kill stupid and evil ideologies is to let them kill themselves, by letting them scream their BS as loud as they can. I say let them use their free speech to illustrate to the rest of us jus how insane people can be at the hand of faith in ancient books full of garbage ethical suggestions.

Last edited by jmvizanko; 10-09-2010 at 01:16 PM..
Old 10-09-2010, 10:48 AM
stlekee Offline
Religion: non affiliated
Title:Fool for Wisdom

Frubals: 25
stlekee is the leader of a covert group of mutant frubals

The whole point of freedom of speech is that anyone can express opinions that are outside the mainstream of thought and not be punished for their speech. It means people can say things against the government, religion, society or aanything else and not face criminal / legal consequences. There are, however, still social and possibly financial consequences, such as being fired or ostracised from a group. Others can disagree and point out the problems in 'crack pot' ideas.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Zadok Offline
Religion: LDS
Title:Zadok

Frubals: 52
Zadok has a brilliant futureZadok has a brilliant future

I believe in freedom of speech but I do not believe that we have the right to speak freely in all places. The question concerning the Westboro Baptist Church is not if they have the right to speech but where they have the right to exercise that speech.

This is a most interesting paradox. On one hand is the issue of free speech and on the other hand is the right to peaceful assembly. It is my understanding that the legal definition of peaceful assembly is the right of a group to gather or assemble without harassment. Both of these rights have limitations. For example the KKK does not have the right to peaceful assembly at a NAACP meeting. This is because one is an infringement on the other’s rights.

The Supreme Court ruling in this case is important. It will determine not just where a protest can take place (up to now it is considered a right on public property) but it will determine if the protest targets the rights of other individuals. This could determine that unions cannot create picket lines to harass scab workers from entering private company property – even if the picket lines are on public property. In essence this ruling could affect public demonstrations at or near any private or public establishment.

It could mean that demonstrations against police cannot take place near a police station or where police are working. It could end demonstrations associated with national politics from taking place in Washington DC.

I personally have mixed feelings. I tend to side with the right to peaceful assembly but when I realize the full implications I realize this strikes at the very core of most protests and thus a very important element of free speech. I think I can live with ether decision as long as ether decision does not lead to a trend to favor the freedom of assembly over freedom of speech or vice versa.

Zadok

Last edited by Zadok; 10-09-2010 at 11:37 AM..
Old 10-09-2010, 11:32 AM
Skwim Offline
Religion: Agnostic
Title:Celebrated Member

Frubals: 684
Skwim has a frubal stash so massive that frubal whores orbit around itSkwim has a frubal stash so massive that frubal whores orbit around itSkwim has a frubal stash so massive that frubal whores orbit around itSkwim has a frubal stash so massive that frubal whores orbit around itSkwim has a frubal stash so massive that frubal whores orbit around itSkwim has a frubal stash so massive that frubal whores orbit around itSkwim has a frubal stash so massive that frubal whores orbit around itSkwim has a frubal stash so massive that frubal whores orbit around it

Quote:
Consider the following:

The Supreme Court does not assign rights. It's sole function is to interpret and apply law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zadok
This is a most interesting paradox. On one hand is the issue of free speech and on the other hand is the right to peaceful assembly. It is my understanding that the legal definition of peaceful assembly is the right of a group to gather or assemble without harassment.
Then you have misunderstood. The right has to do with assembling in a peaceful manner.

Last edited by Skwim; 10-09-2010 at 11:36 AM..
Old 10-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Meow Mix Offline
Religion: Secular Humanism
Title:Sassypants Kitty
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 761
Meow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstick

I certainly hope it isn't banned. It's too much of a risk.

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from opposition; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach himself." Thomas Paine

Warming themselves by the ashes and the embers of martyrs, martyrs that they never understood

They will be lost.
Buried in the sands of time,
Relics disgraced from an era forgotten.
Far too consumed by the allure of wealth to be concerned for the backs on which they stood

The weak and broken, the castaways out in the cold
They will be left abandoned by those who claim to care

Those who stand proudly on the wrong side of history:
Mark my words -- your time will come.

The heartless will be the sick and the dying
Left with nowhere to turn

I hope I have the strength to help them in their time of need,
To forgive them, though I know they never would have done the same."

(Misery Signals, "Lost Relics")
Old 10-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Zadok Offline
Religion: LDS
Title:Zadok

Frubals: 52
Zadok has a brilliant futureZadok has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwim View Post
The Supreme Court does not assign rights. It's sole function is to interpret and apply law.

Then you have misunderstood. The right has to do with assembling in a peaceful manner.
I was considering the full extent of the law "To uninterrupted legal assemble without interference or undue disturbance."

Zadok
Old 10-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Seyorni Offline
Religion: Vedanta
Title:Hallowed Member
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: Fot 10,000 posts. Congrats Sey! 

Frubals: 1926
Seyorni surveys people to see whether they fold or wad frubals
Seyorni surveys people to see whether they fold or wad frubalsSeyorni surveys people to see whether they fold or wad frubalsSeyorni surveys people to see whether they fold or wad frubalsSeyorni surveys people to see whether they fold or wad frubalsSeyorni surveys people to see whether they fold or wad frubalsSeyorni surveys people to see whether they fold or wad frubalsSeyorni surveys people to see whether they fold or wad frubalsSeyorni surveys people to see whether they fold or wad frubalsSeyorni surveys people to see whether they fold or wad frubals

I agree with Meow Mix. Outlawing dissidence is a slippery slope.
Old 10-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Smoke Offline
Title:Done here.
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: You have achieved over 10,000 posts at RF. Congratulations!! 

Frubals: 3290
Smoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubalsSmoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubalsSmoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubals
Smoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubalsSmoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubalsSmoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubalsSmoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubalsSmoke annoys people by trying to boss around their frubals

Quote:
I recommend that the U.S. Supreme Court rule that each state decide for itself how to interpret free speech.
That would be insane. Fortunately, the Supremes are extremely unlikely to make that kind of ruling.

"If you don't believe that Puerto Rican Americans ought to be able to get married in this country, you are a bigot. If you don't think African Americans should be allowed in the military, you are a bigot. If you think it ought to be legal to refuse to hire Asian Americans, you are a bigot. And in case you're missing the point, there's only one group in America against whom the bigots are winning in all three areas."
-Michael Dixon