Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Everything But the Kitchen Sink / General Discussion
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2006, 07:26 PM
Djamila Offline
Religion: Muslim
Title:Bosnjakinja
Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason: This creative thread award is given to you by your peers and is well deserved. 

Frubals: 649
Djamila worries that, at this rate, we may be approaching peak frubals in the near futureDjamila worries that, at this rate, we may be approaching peak frubals in the near futureDjamila worries that, at this rate, we may be approaching peak frubals in the near futureDjamila worries that, at this rate, we may be approaching peak frubals in the near futureDjamila worries that, at this rate, we may be approaching peak frubals in the near futureDjamila worries that, at this rate, we may be approaching peak frubals in the near futureDjamila worries that, at this rate, we may be approaching peak frubals in the near futureDjamila worries that, at this rate, we may be approaching peak frubals in the near future
Default What is the most fundamentalist city in your country?

Of all the cities in your country, which is the most fundamentalist - in terms of any particular faith?

For Bosniaks, the most fundamentalist city in the world is Zenica. It is an industrial city, something that makes it somewhat a difficult place to live with a hard street life anyway - as everywhere else in the world.

It is one of the most religiously homogenous cities in Bosnia, its population composed almost entirely of Muslims. In addition to this, at least half of those Muslims are refugees from rural Bosnia - each with their own sad, this-is-why-I-hate-X story to tell.

Zenica, to its people, is like a Holy Land. Zenica, to everyone else in Bosnia - even fundamentalists from other areas - is a hideous, poverty-stricken, horrid little city. It's Bosnia's equivalent of Manchester, or New Jersey - coupled with Islamic fundamentalism.

Here's a little clip of Zenica with an appropriate soundtrack.

Zenica

Voda (Water)!
BRAVO ELITSA, BRAVO BULGARIA!
Old 08-31-2006, 07:42 PM
Djamila Offline
Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason: This creative thread award is given to you by your peers and is well deserved. 

Djamila worries that, at this rate, we may be approaching peak frubals in the near futureDjamila worries that, at this rate, we may be approaching peak frubals in the near futureDjamila worries that, at this rate, we may be approaching peak frubals in the near futureDjamila worries that, at this rate, we may be approaching peak frubals in the near futureDjamila worries that, at this rate, we may be approaching peak frubals in the near futureDjamila worries that, at this rate, we may be approaching peak frubals in the near futureDjamila worries that, at this rate, we may be approaching peak frubals in the near futureDjamila worries that, at this rate, we may be approaching peak frubals in the near future

A few photographs from Zenica...

And lastly a magazine cover from DANI, one of the leading Islamic daily newspapers in Sarajevo. Although it was later proven there was absolutely no Bosnian involvement, the terrorists that carried out the attacks on the Madrid public transportation system entered Europe through Zenica.

Voda (Water)!
Old 08-31-2006, 07:52 PM
BFD_Zayl Offline
Religion: Anonymity
Title:BANNED

Frubals: 167
BFD_Zayl goes around asking, 'Do these frubals make my butt look big?'BFD_Zayl goes around asking, 'Do these frubals make my butt look big?'BFD_Zayl goes around asking, 'Do these frubals make my butt look big?'BFD_Zayl goes around asking, 'Do these frubals make my butt look big?'

the town i live in (go figure) if i dont keep my religion secret ill probably be beaten with a cane.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:56 PM
Djamila Offline

And the Christian equivalent of Bosnia would be Banja Luka. Before the war, Banja Luka was one of the most diverse cities in Bosnia and Herzegovina.

It was founded during the Ottoman Empire and boasted a mosque that was a UNESCO World Heritage Site. In addition to its Muslim population, it was home to tens of thousands of Roman Catholics, Orthodox Christians, and Jews.

The war came to Banja Luka quietly. The city was formally occupied by Serbian forces, its mosques and Roman Catholic churches dynamited, and its non-Serbian population put about cattle cars - yes, cattle cars - and carted off either to concentration camps near Prijedor, or to lives as refugees elsewhere in Bosnia.

Today the city has been repopulated, mainly by Serbian refugees from Croatia and Roman Catholic returnees. Pope Jean Paul II visited Banja Luka, which was ranked by the Vatican as one of the least hospitable cities for Roman Catholics in the world.

Muslims have returned in much smaller numbers as literally dozens have been murdered, since the war ended, upon their return.

Here are a few pictures of Banja Luka.

The site of the Ferhadija Mosque, before and after the war. In total, more than 100 mosques and Roman Catholic churches were dynamited in Banja Luka. Even the rubble was carted away so they could never be rebuilt.

Voda (Water)!
Old 08-31-2006, 08:30 PM
Capt. Haddock Offline
Religion: World Domination
Title:Evil Mouse

Frubals: 104
Capt. Haddock added a shed out back to store more frubalsCapt. Haddock added a shed out back to store more frubalsCapt. Haddock added a shed out back to store more frubals

What is the most fudamentalist city in this country?

Probably somewhere in the rural Deep South.

I don't really know and I don't want to find out.

The only important thing is: it's far, far away from here, and property values here are way too expensive for anyone from there to move here.

I've never been to Zenica, but Manchester and New Jersey aren't that bad. There are plenty worse places in Britain and the US. The grimmest place I've been to in Britain is probably Southend, and in the US: Gary, Indiana. Neither place is particularly fundamentalist, though.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:18 PM
Sunstone Online!
Religion: Podium Pounding
Title:De Diablo Del Fora
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: Link Exchange project Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason:  Shield of 50,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 50,000 posts - Issue reason: That's enough to fill a book! Congratulations! 

Frubals: 7221
Sunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nest
Sunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nest

About 18 years ago, some bright local politician got the idea of persuading James Dobson to move his ministry, Focus On the Family from Southern California to Colorado Springs, Colorado. Dobson bought the idea and so James and his Focus organization settled here in Colorado Springs.

They not only settled here in Colorado Springs, but they sent out representatives to Evangelical churches around the country to persuade ministers to recommend the Springs to Evangelical Christian families that wanted to live in a Evangelical Christian community.

Thousands of Evangelical Christian families moved to the Springs, and the city changed complexion from an old fashioned Western conservative town to a neoconservative Evangelical Christian town.

I wouldn't call Colorado Springs the most fundamentalist city in the country, but it is the only city I know of that solicits Evangelicals to move to it.

Today the city is divided. The old city of about 100,000 people is more or less conservative on the old fashioned Western model of everybody mind your own business conservatism. Around the old city has grown up a newer city of about 400,000 people who largely are the people that immigrated here to be in an Evangelical community. They don't believe in minding their own business, but instead believe in such things as religious and political activism on social issues.

For instance, the newer city folks have tried, somewhat successfully, to evangelicalize the cadets at the Air Force Academy (which is located in Colorado Springs). They have also taken over the local government and rolled back such things as medical benefits for partners of homosexuals who work for the city. And they've hounded and driven moderate Republicans out of office, replacing them with the sort of neoconservative Republicans who favor teaching creationism in school, or who are opposed to abortion in almost every instance, including rape or incest. Locally, they have also cut funding to such things as the Springs symphony, the local museums, the schools, and so forth.

James Dobson and others are still in the business of soliciting Evangelical Christian families to move to the Springs. They describe the Springs to those families as "The New Jerusalem."

Certainty is a mind killer -- Debater Slayer

The most precious thing in life is its uncertainty. -- Kenko

It has always surprised me how little attention philosophers have paid to humor, since it is a more significant process of mind than reason. Reason can only sort out perceptions, but the humor process is involved in changing them. -- Edward de Bono
Old 09-01-2006, 05:42 AM
c0da Offline
Religion: Atheism/Buddhism
Title:Junior Member

Frubals: 113
c0da will work for frubalsc0da will work for frubalsc0da will work for frubals

Capt. Haddock is right. I live half an hour from Manchester by car, it's not so bad. Just like every big city, it's got its rough areas, but its not the worst place in the UK.

There was a book out a couple of years ago which took all sorts of statistics into consideration (like crime rates, average incomes etc.) from cities around the UK and compiled a list of the fifty worst and Hull actually topped the list.

The worst part of the UK I have been was an area of Soho I went through whilst I was in London last year. Not a pretty little place!

I don't really know about the most fundamentalist area. We aren't a particularly religious country, with some of the lowest church attednances in Europe. The town I live in, St Helens, is said to be the 'Most Christian town in England', with 87% being Christian, but even still, the people I've spoken to don't seem excessively devout.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:28 AM
sahra-t Offline
Religion: agnostic
Title:/me loves frubals

Frubals: 110
sahra-t will work for frubalssahra-t will work for frubalssahra-t will work for frubals

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0da
Capt. Haddock is right. I live half an hour from Manchester by car, it's not so bad. Just like every big city, it's got its rough areas, but its not the worst place in the UK.

There was a book out a couple of years ago which took all sorts of statistics into consideration (like crime rates, average incomes etc.) from cities around the UK and compiled a list of the fifty worst and Hull actually topped the list.

The worst part of the UK I have been was an area of Soho I went through whilst I was in London last year. Not a pretty little place!

I don't really know about the most fundamentalist area. We aren't a particularly religious country, with some of the lowest church attednances in Europe. The town I live in, St Helens, is said to be the 'Most Christian town in England', with 87% being Christian, but even still, the people I've spoken to don't seem excessively devout.
Soho is actually a lovely place, I'm guessing you just went down a few back streets and ended up in a bit of a red light district.

Don't forget Leicester Square, Piccadilly Circus, Carnaby Street and (surprise surprise) Soho Square are all in Soho.

Anyway- not a city but I'd say Golders Green, with its high Jewish population.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:46 AM
Religion: Orthodox Christian
Title:Dreptcredincios Crestin
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason: This award is presented by your peers and is well deserved 

Frubals: 678
James the Persian keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroomJames the Persian keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroomJames the Persian keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroomJames the Persian keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroomJames the Persian keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroomJames the Persian keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroomJames the Persian keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroomJames the Persian keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahra-t
Soho is actually a lovely place, I'm guessing you just went down a few back streets and ended up in a bit of a red light district.

Don't forget Leicester Square, Piccadilly Circus, Carnaby Street and (surprise surprise) Soho Square are all in Soho.

I'd probably go with Bradford, being as it is the city which hosts the self-styled Muslim Parliament of Great Britain and certainly appears to have a majority Muslim population, many of whom seem quite devout (this may be skewed slightly by the fact that I work and grew up 'next door' in Leeds. I don't think that there are any particularly fundamentalist Christian cities in the UK but if there are, they're probably in Northern Ireland.

James
Old 09-01-2006, 07:22 AM
Capt. Haddock Offline
Religion: World Domination
Title:Evil Mouse

Frubals: 104
Capt. Haddock added a shed out back to store more frubalsCapt. Haddock added a shed out back to store more frubalsCapt. Haddock added a shed out back to store more frubals

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahra-t
Have you been to Stamford Hill? You get a lot of the Hasidic Jews there (the ones in G.G. aren't quite as hard core). Ironically, you also get a lot of very devout Muslims living in that area, and they like living with each other because it gives the whole place a religious and conservative feel. Pretty much all the women, of whatever faith, are all covered up.