Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Everything But the Kitchen Sink / General Discussion
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2010, 08:54 AM
Numinous Offline
Title:Philosopher

Frubals: 16
Numinous gives frubals to the homeless
Default Is NASA trustworthy still?

I am not allowed to link to anything until 15 posts, but has anyone read that scientists are coming out to say NASA's recent "discovery" about life eating arsenic, was faulty and should have never been published?

It seems, they can save face a little, if they redo the experiments with the recommended modifications with the experiment.

Anyone interested in that topic?
Old 12-09-2010, 08:57 AM
Revoltingest Online!
Religion: Ignorant Atheist
Title:Certified Most Cunning
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of 50,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 50,000 posts - Issue reason: For making 50,000 posts (limericks and bacon pictures included)! 

Frubals: 3027
Revoltingest pays extra for designer frubalsRevoltingest pays extra for designer frubalsRevoltingest pays extra for designer frubals
Revoltingest pays extra for designer frubals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
I am not allowed to link to anything until 15 posts, but has anyone read that scientists are coming out to say NASA's recent "discovery" about life eating arsenic, was faulty and should have never been published?

It seems, they can save face a little, if they redo the experiments with the recommended modifications with the experiment.

Anyone interested in that topic?
Start posting furiously, so that you can post your link.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:02 AM
Numinous Offline

news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20101208/sc_yblog_thelookout/scientists-poking-holes-in-nasas-arsenic-eating-microbe-discovery

I think if you type "h t t p://" without the spaces, before the above long string you can see the story.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:08 AM
Revoltingest Online!
Religion: Ignorant Atheist
Title:Certified Most Cunning
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of 50,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 50,000 posts - Issue reason: For making 50,000 posts (limericks and bacon pictures included)! 

Frubals: 3027
Revoltingest pays extra for designer frubalsRevoltingest pays extra for designer frubalsRevoltingest pays extra for designer frubals
Revoltingest pays extra for designer frubals

It sounds like there is much work still to be done. The arguments will likely settle down.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:13 AM
Numinous Offline

From what I could gather that phosphates were removed from NASA, so that only arsenic remained. However, they failed to mention they then fed back phosphates (mind you minuscule amounts) that could have been the cause for life sustaining.

It is a situation that makes one sigh... Realizing the possible desperation of institutions that might resort to things like this hoping for more funding. I hope that is not what they have done.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Religion: Christian
Title:Pater Familias
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason: This award has been given to your peers and is well deserved. Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of 40,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 40,000 posts - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 3413
angellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubals
angellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubals

Quote:
From what I could gather that phosphates were removed from NASA, so that only arsenic remained. However, they failed to mention they then fed back phosphates (mind you minuscule amounts) that could have been the cause for life sustaining.

It is a situation that makes one sigh... Realizing the possible desperation of institutions that might resort to things like this hoping for more funding. I hope that is not what they have done.
It seems to me that some university (or many) will carry on this research.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:22 AM
Mr Spinkles Offline
Religion: Humanism
Title:Mr
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of Valour: Awarded for heroic and decisive victory in the battlefield of debate - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts. Congrats Spinks. 

Frubals: 1658
Mr Spinkles arranges frubals into maze patterns so kids and small pets get lost
Mr Spinkles arranges frubals into maze patterns so kids and small pets get lostMr Spinkles arranges frubals into maze patterns so kids and small pets get lostMr Spinkles arranges frubals into maze patterns so kids and small pets get lostMr Spinkles arranges frubals into maze patterns so kids and small pets get lostMr Spinkles arranges frubals into maze patterns so kids and small pets get lostMr Spinkles arranges frubals into maze patterns so kids and small pets get lostMr Spinkles arranges frubals into maze patterns so kids and small pets get lostMr Spinkles arranges frubals into maze patterns so kids and small pets get lost

I don't think one ill-conceived paper should tarnish everything NASA produces. They have their hand in an enormous amount of outstanding research in all areas of science, if not directly then at least through funding and grants.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:23 AM
Nepenthe Offline
Religion: None-Strong Atheist
Title:Tu Stultus Es
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 1196
Nepenthe used to think frubals by candlelight were romantic, but that was before being blinded by the explosion
Nepenthe used to think frubals by candlelight were romantic, but that was before being blinded by the explosionNepenthe used to think frubals by candlelight were romantic, but that was before being blinded by the explosionNepenthe used to think frubals by candlelight were romantic, but that was before being blinded by the explosionNepenthe used to think frubals by candlelight were romantic, but that was before being blinded by the explosion

Yep, Rosie has presented the most detailed and critical analysis of NASA's study in her blog here. It's really good imo. NASA has been dismissive of the criticisms though despite what I see as valid questions. As usual Zimmer gives the best review of what's going on over the whole controversy and he's posting the reactions of several microbiologists to the issue (like Rosie Redfield, Shelley Copley has also been a major critic of the paper): Of arsenic and aliens: What the critics said | The Loom | Discover Magazine

It reminds me of sample ALH84001 back in the day, though not as epic.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Numinous Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by angellous_evangellous View Post
It seems to me that some university (or many) will carry on this research.
Can you elaborate? I mean if the initial work was faulty, are you saying universities will try to recreate the experiment, or run with the faulty data?
On the surface it seems this could blow up in NASA's face, and the money spent on their work will be shown to be a waste of money for one, and a desperate attempt to bolster their search for life elsewhere in the universe.

Do you think there is merit in what they did if it turns out to be indeed faulty science work?
Old 12-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Religion: Christian
Title:Pater Familias
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason: This award has been given to your peers and is well deserved. Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of 40,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 40,000 posts - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 3413
angellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubals
angellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubals

Quote:
Can you elaborate? I mean if the initial work was faulty, are you saying universities will try to recreate the experiment, or run with the faulty data?

On the surface it seems this could blow up in NASA's face, and the money spent on their work will be shown to be a waste of money for one, and a desperate attempt to bolster their search for life elsewhere in the universe.

Do you think there is merit in what they did if it turns out to be indeed faulty science work?
It just seems to me that it warrants further study - it's at least a question that a Master's or doctoral student can research. There are far more wacky stuff that universities are researching these days.