Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Everything But the Kitchen Sink / General Debates
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2009, 08:26 PM
Falvlun Offline
Religion: Foam on the waves
Title:Earthbending Lemur
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: Congratulations, Lemur! Here's to many more! 

Frubals: 857
Falvlun makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messageFalvlun makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messageFalvlun makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messageFalvlun makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messageFalvlun makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messageFalvlun makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messageFalvlun makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messageFalvlun makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messageFalvlun makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal message
Default Refusal of Medical Care: Child Abuse?

The recent story of Danny Hauser, a 13 year old boy with cancer, has brought into the spotlight the rights of parents to refuse medical treatment for their children.

I really have two minds about the matter.

On one hand, I see refusing life-saving treatment for your child as equivalent to child abuse at best and man-slaughter at worst. You are knowingly subjecting your child to unnecessary pain and suffering, and possibly death, by refusing known remedies.

On the other hand, it does seem a bit murky to force parents to subject their children to treatments they view as bad, sinful, etc.

Where do we draw the line? Should treatment be mandatory?
Old 05-21-2009, 08:30 PM
linwood Offline
Religion: None
Title:Awesome Member

Frubals: 916
linwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falvlun View Post

We draw the line at reality.

Belief in your imaginary friend is just fine up to and until you begin to rely on your imaginary friend to remove the cancer from your child's brain.

That`s when it becomes really ridiculous really fast.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:30 PM
Seyorni Offline
Religion: Vedanta
Title:Hallowed Member
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: Fot 10,000 posts. Congrats Sey! 

Frubals: 1927
Seyorni surveys people to see whether they fold or wad frubals
Seyorni surveys people to see whether they fold or wad frubalsSeyorni surveys people to see whether they fold or wad frubalsSeyorni surveys people to see whether they fold or wad frubalsSeyorni surveys people to see whether they fold or wad frubalsSeyorni surveys people to see whether they fold or wad frubalsSeyorni surveys people to see whether they fold or wad frubalsSeyorni surveys people to see whether they fold or wad frubalsSeyorni surveys people to see whether they fold or wad frubalsSeyorni surveys people to see whether they fold or wad frubals

Quote:

On the other hand, it does seem a bit murky to force parents to subject their children to treatments they view as bad, sinful, etc.

There's also the fact that the child in question is rational and, himself, refuses conventional treatment.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:31 PM
linwood Offline
Religion: None
Title:Awesome Member

Frubals: 916
linwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seyorni View Post
There's also the fact that the child in question is rational and, himself, refuses conventional treatment.
He`s 13.
He has no rights.

There`s a reason for this.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Circle_One Offline
Religion: Kemetic
Title:BanBot
Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. 

Frubals: 1311
Circle_One is willing to pick up discarded frubals others tossed out
Circle_One is willing to pick up discarded frubals others tossed outCircle_One is willing to pick up discarded frubals others tossed outCircle_One is willing to pick up discarded frubals others tossed outCircle_One is willing to pick up discarded frubals others tossed outCircle_One is willing to pick up discarded frubals others tossed outCircle_One is willing to pick up discarded frubals others tossed out

I tend to agree with Linwood here. While I happen to have an "imaginary friend" (), I certainly wouldn't rely on Her to drain the cancer from my dying son's withering body.

I whole heartedly believe it is child abuse to refuse treatments and sit back idly while you watch your child die before your eyes. I call it abuse, neglect, disgusting, ridiculous, unbelievable, stupid, and add to that a some-people-shouldn't-be-allowed-to-have-children.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:42 PM
dawny0826 Offline
Title:Theist
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason: Your peers have nominated you for the kindness award, and it's well deserved. Tolerance Award:  - Issue reason: Your peers have nominated you for the tolerance award, and it's well deserved. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 amazing posts! 

Frubals: 1646
dawny0826 believes that the lives of afrubalists probably lack meaning
dawny0826 believes that the lives of afrubalists probably lack meaningdawny0826 believes that the lives of afrubalists probably lack meaningdawny0826 believes that the lives of afrubalists probably lack meaningdawny0826 believes that the lives of afrubalists probably lack meaningdawny0826 believes that the lives of afrubalists probably lack meaningdawny0826 believes that the lives of afrubalists probably lack meaningdawny0826 believes that the lives of afrubalists probably lack meaningdawny0826 believes that the lives of afrubalists probably lack meaning

Quote:
The recent story of Danny Hauser, a 13 year old boy with cancer, has brought into the spotlight the rights of parents to refuse medical treatment for their children.

On one hand, I see refusing life-saving treatment for your child as equivalent to child abuse at best and man-slaughter at worst. You are knowingly subjecting your child to unnecessary pain and suffering, and possibly death, by refusing known remedies.

If the ailment is treatable, heck yes, treatment should be mandatory.

I could understand bypassing treatment if an illness is terminal and the treatment significantly alters the quality of life.

Otherwise, I believe parents have the responsibility to ensure their children receive adequate medical care. Parents should be able to make decisions regarding treatment and to refuse one remedy in favor of another feasible remedy is perfectly acceptable, in my opinion.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Storm Offline
Religion: Rogue Panentheist/ UU
Title:Proud Queer
Shield of Valour: Awarded for heroic and decisive victory in the battlefield of debate - Issue reason:  Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason:  Shield of 40,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 40,000 posts - Issue reason: That's a lot of posts! 

Frubals: 2084
Storm just wants to tickle your frubals until they giggle like schoolgirlsStorm just wants to tickle your frubals until they giggle like schoolgirls
Storm just wants to tickle your frubals until they giggle like schoolgirlsStorm just wants to tickle your frubals until they giggle like schoolgirls

I'll be the lone voice of dissent, then. I find the idea of the government forcing medical treatment on the unwilling repugnant.

That said, I honestly don't know about this issue.

Check out my shiny new blog, Knitting In Church!
Old 05-22-2009, 10:42 AM
keithnurse Offline
Religion: Unitarian Universalist
Title:Sophmore Member

Frubals: 44
keithnurse has much to be proud of

If an adult wants to refuse medical treatment for himself for a disease because the treatment is against his religion, that's one thing, but when a child is involved, and the parent refuses proven medical treatment for the CHILD, I think that is child abuse. We don't allow parents to withhold education from child, should we allow parents to withhold adequate healthcare from the child?
Old 05-22-2009, 11:05 AM
Zephyr Offline
Religion: Booze and Smokes
Title:Moved on

Frubals: 488
Zephyr is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotZephyr is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotZephyr is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotZephyr is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotZephyr is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotZephyr is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotZephyr is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lot

A child cannot consent, and there have been many other cases where the government has taken custody. A parent who would refuse their children medical care in favor of superstition or pseudoscience is negligent.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:23 AM
gnomon Offline
Religion: -----
Title:Celebrated Member

Frubals: 1132
gnomon noticed that frubals get all wrinkly after 4 hours in a hot tub
gnomon noticed that frubals get all wrinkly after 4 hours in a hot tubgnomon noticed that frubals get all wrinkly after 4 hours in a hot tubgnomon noticed that frubals get all wrinkly after 4 hours in a hot tub

Quote:

One question overlooked.

What basis do we have that a 13 year old child has developed a freedom of conscience on the same level an adult has?

Children are solely at the whim of their parents, as in the U.S. greater respect is given to parental rights to raise their child, and the notion that a child has freedom of religion assumes that the child has the life experience and rationality to determine among all their observations of nature and various beliefs their own conscience.

Looking at how children are practically indoctrinated in all cultural aspects by their parents and the society around them I find the notion that a child, even as old as 13, has the experience of an adult somewhat naive.

What's worrisome in this case is that the question is not merely a so called religious freedom issue but that the child in question has basically been led to a delusion. If it wasn't for the harrowing condition of his physical health the claims the parents, child and the tribe offering him help have offered up regarding this child's beliefs would be a serious question for a child psychologist.

In essence, the group they claim to be a part of is a so called native american group (not any sort of recognized tribe) that is solely founded on its natural healing one of whose leaders has prior fraud convictions regarding magic mushrooms and the claim to cure AIDS. A group I do not believe that receives much respect from actual American nations such as the Lakota or any of the others for that matter.

Is it all child abuse? I think the parents love their child and want the best for him. They may be negligent but there is no evidence of intentional abuse of the child.