Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Everything But the Kitchen Sink / General Debates
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2009, 01:59 AM
Sunstone Offline
Religion: Podium Pounding
Title:De Diablo Del Fora
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: Link Exchange project Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason:  Shield of 50,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 50,000 posts - Issue reason: That's enough to fill a book! Congratulations! 

Frubals: 7240
Sunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nest
Sunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nest

Quote:
Originally Posted by frg001 View Post
...as long as you don't act on it, nothing to be ashamed of, or worry about.
Even if you acted on it, would it necessarily be as bad as people claim it would be? Is there anything in this world as bad as some people claim it to be?

Certainty is a mind killer -- Debater Slayer

The most precious thing in life is its uncertainty. -- Kenko

It has always surprised me how little attention philosophers have paid to humor, since it is a more significant process of mind than reason. Reason can only sort out perceptions, but the humor process is involved in changing them. -- Edward de Bono

Last edited by Sunstone; 01-09-2009 at 02:11 AM..
Old 01-09-2009, 02:00 AM
texan1 Offline
Religion: Shakespeare
Title:Junior Member

Frubals: 141
texan1 writes cutesy love poems to frubals, dotting every 'i' with a little happy facetexan1 writes cutesy love poems to frubals, dotting every 'i' with a little happy facetexan1 writes cutesy love poems to frubals, dotting every 'i' with a little happy face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstone View Post
Strumpet! Hussy! It's the fact people indulge themselves in shameless daydreams about Hollywood celebrities that surely will cause the break up of the family widget and the downfall of civilizations -- probably by next Tuesday at the latest.
Oh no.....I used to daydream all the time about being on a stranded island with that actor who played the doctor on "Lost". I just couldn't help it!!!! But what have I done!! What's to become of civilization!!! And Viggo Mortenson from Lord of the Rings!! I know there are others!! Somebody save me! And somebody save my husband - he's in love with Robin Meade in the morning from Headline News!!! I just know it!!
Old 01-09-2009, 02:02 AM
frg001 Offline
Religion: 99.999999999% atheist.
Title:Complex bunch of atoms

Frubals: 86
frg001 says every time your read this, God slaps another frubalfrg001 says every time your read this, God slaps another frubal

Quote:
Just a quibble, but I do not see attraction to another human as a "dark corner". We're social animals and we should therefore expect to be attracted to each other for any number of reasons.
Totally agree

Quote:
Guilt serves no purpose. It's like the human appendix -- it probably had some function once long ago in our evolutionary past, but it is now merely something that serves no purpose, yet from time to time becomes inflamed.
Totally disagree
I see guilt as part of the moral process of the human brain, a natural defence against doing wrong. As you grow up you do things that you probably shouldn't, and subsequently feel guilty. I am not talking about natural things such as carnal desire, but things that hurt others, or are wrong. I know I have learned to be the way I am today from the guilt at doing things I shouldn't. For instance as a teenager I was rabidly homophobic (going along with the flow really), whereas now I am the total opposite, and I still have pangs of guilt for some of the things I said or did. The guilt makes you realize you have done wrong, and hopefully helps prevent you doing it again.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:04 AM
Sunstone Offline
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: Link Exchange project Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason:  Shield of 50,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 50,000 posts - Issue reason: That's enough to fill a book! Congratulations! 

Sunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nest
Sunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nest

Quote:
I see guilt as part of the moral process of the human brain, a natural defence against doing wrong. As you grow up you do things that you probably shouldn't, and subsequently feel guilty. I am not talking about natural things such as carnal desire, but things that hurt others, or are wrong. I know I have learned to be the way I am today from the guilt at doing things I shouldn't. For instance as a teenager I was rabidly homophobic (going along with the flow really), whereas now I am the total opposite, and I still have pangs of guilt for some of the things I said or did. The guilt makes you realize you have done wrong, and hopefully helps prevent you doing it again.
Everyone can point to times when guilt aligned with what was good and fair. Like a broken watch, it's right twice a day. But that doesn't mean guilt is a reliable guide to what is good and fair.

It has always surprised me how little attention philosophers have paid to humor, since it is a more significant process of mind than reason. Reason can only sort out perceptions, but the humor process is involved in changing them. -- Edward de Bono
Old 01-09-2009, 02:15 AM
frg001 Offline

frg001 says every time your read this, God slaps another frubalfrg001 says every time your read this, God slaps another frubal

Quote:
Everyone can point to times when guilt aligned with what was good and fair. Like a broken watch, it's right twice a day. But that doesn't mean guilt is a reliable guide to what is good and fair.
Absolutely, but I stand by my statement. Personally I rarely feel guilty for things I have no reason to, I think that's more prevalant among religious followers.

Personally many of my moral viewpoints on issues such as I mentioned come from a feeling of guilt for thoughts and actions I have experienced and done.
Stealing, bullying, bigotry, cheating, selfishness are all things that are often brought into line by guilt.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:24 AM
Sunstone Offline

Quote:
Absolutely, but I stand by my statement. Personally I rarely feel guilty for things I have no reason to, I think that's more prevalant among religious followers.

Personally many of my moral viewpoints on issues such as I mentioned come from a feeling of guilt for thoughts and actions I have experienced and done.
Stealing, bullying, bigotry, cheating, selfishness are all things that are often brought into line by guilt.
I think what happens with most of us is we remember the times our feelings of guilt have been spot on, but forget the times they've been ridiculous. Moreover, most of us don't look very closely at senseless guilt -- we simply dismiss it before it's grown and has a memorable impact on us. But I am convinced that were you or most anyone else to take a close and dispassionate look at the all the times you experience guilt over the course of a couple weeks, you would find that far and away most twinges of guilt are useless as moral guides. Perhaps you should try keeping a journal for a few weeks -- as I have done -- in which you record each instance of guilt you feel. I'm pretty sure when you re-read your journal at the end of two or three weeks, you will see most experiences of guilt are not good guides to morality.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:33 AM
Father Heathen Offline
Religion: Agnostic
Title:Libertarian
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For creating over 10,000 posts 

Frubals: 2653
Father Heathen is a frubal receptacleFather Heathen is a frubal receptacle
Father Heathen is a frubal receptacleFather Heathen is a frubal receptacleFather Heathen is a frubal receptacleFather Heathen is a frubal receptacleFather Heathen is a frubal receptacleFather Heathen is a frubal receptacleFather Heathen is a frubal receptacleFather Heathen is a frubal receptacle

Quote:
Guilt serves no purpose. It's like the human appendix -- it probably had some function once long ago in our evolutionary past, but it is now merely something that serves no purpose, yet from time to time becomes inflamed.
What if you get drunk, hop in your car, and then run over a crowd of children at a crosswalk?
Old 01-09-2009, 02:35 AM
Caladan Offline
Religion: Spice-hooked Fremen
Title:Agnostic Pantheist
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason: For your excellent knowledge Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason: For thorough research in regards to different topics through the years. Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts. Congrats Dan! 

Frubals: 1967
Caladan keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a time
Caladan keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a timeCaladan keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a timeCaladan keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a timeCaladan keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a timeCaladan keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a timeCaladan keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a timeCaladan keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a timeCaladan keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a timeCaladan keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Heathen View Post
What if you get drunk, hop in your car, and then run over a crowd of children at a crosswalk?
Wouldnt that get you bonus points?
Old 01-09-2009, 02:36 AM
frg001 Offline

Quote:
I think what happens with most of us is we remember the times our feelings of guilt have been spot on, but forget the times they've been ridiculous. Moreover, most of us don't look very closely at senseless guilt -- we simply dismiss it before it's grown and has a memorable impact on us. But I am convinced that were you or most anyone else to take a close and dispassionate look at the all the times you experience guilt over the course of a couple weeks, you would find that far and away most twinges of guilt are useless as moral guides. Perhaps you should try keeping a journal for a few weeks -- as I have done -- in which you record each instance of guilt you feel. I'm pretty sure when you re-read your journal at the end of two or three weeks, you will see most experiences of guilt are not good guides to morality.
As I said, I think you are right that many people feel guilt for unnecessary things. But you are also right to mention that these times, we come to realize they are ridiculous... the very fact that keeping a journal may highlight them shows that. The guilt we feel that is justified, tends to stay with us...and is very useful.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:36 AM
Sunstone Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Heathen View Post
Please allow me to repeat myself, Bill, as a favor to you. As I said in an earlier post, guilt, like a broken watch, is sometimes right. But it's not right often enough to be reasonably considered a moral guide. This has been my observation of my own feelings of guilt -- perhaps your own close and dispassionate observations would differ.

Last edited by Sunstone; 01-09-2009 at 03:08 AM..