Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Everything But the Kitchen Sink / General Debates
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2006, 12:31 PM
Ori Offline
Title:Angel slayer
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason: This award is presented by your peers and is well deserved Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 382
Ori suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalsOri suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalsOri suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalsOri suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalsOri suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalsOri suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubals

Based on my own achievements I would have to say no, or at least not yet. I do think if you believe and want something enough, you'll get it.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:32 PM
Religion: Christian
Title:Pater Familias
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason: This award has been given to your peers and is well deserved. Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of 40,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 40,000 posts - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 3496
angellous_evangellous won the beauty contest with a speech about spreading frubals to make the world a better placeangellous_evangellous won the beauty contest with a speech about spreading frubals to make the world a better placeangellous_evangellous won the beauty contest with a speech about spreading frubals to make the world a better place
angellous_evangellous won the beauty contest with a speech about spreading frubals to make the world a better placeangellous_evangellous won the beauty contest with a speech about spreading frubals to make the world a better placeangellous_evangellous won the beauty contest with a speech about spreading frubals to make the world a better placeangellous_evangellous won the beauty contest with a speech about spreading frubals to make the world a better placeangellous_evangellous won the beauty contest with a speech about spreading frubals to make the world a better placeangellous_evangellous won the beauty contest with a speech about spreading frubals to make the world a better placeangellous_evangellous won the beauty contest with a speech about spreading frubals to make the world a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK2005
Good Call!
No one has taken me up on that offer. Personally, if someone claims to be divine, I say that we crucify them for the misery that they allow the world to suffer. How evil they have allowed the world to become!
Old 04-28-2006, 01:11 PM
evearael Offline
Title:Theist
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. 

Frubals: 765
evearael wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallevearael wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallevearael wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallevearael wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallevearael wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallevearael wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallevearael wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallevearael wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallevearael wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too small

Quote:
I believe we create our own realities
Quote:
Prove it.
I see it as a matter of how we frame our perception of reality, not so much altering the physical reality. Akin to the serenity prayer.
Old 04-28-2006, 03:51 PM
michel Offline
Religion: Christian
Title:Administrator Emeritus
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason:  Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers for your work on the newsletter and is well deserved. Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 2756
michel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal tax
michel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckysoup61
I do believe we can do anything we put our mind to, we can even convince ourselves of something that is not true.

For example, one time, for pure curiousity, I tried to convince myself that there was a 80-foot anaconda in the bathroom, which I did, surprisingly. It took me about a week to unconvince myself that it wasn't there.

I believe we can do ANYTHING we put our mind to.
Silly...................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttercup
I agree with you there MIchel...Psychology was my minor in college. Have always been intrigued with trying to figure people out!
For goodnes' sake (and your sanity) never try to work me out; I have burned out a few brains already .............

I was told by my mother that I 'could do anything'. According to a psychologist I saw once, he told me that that was the worst message that a parent could give a child (simplybecause,as aE and others have pointed out, we cannot do anything)

The theory being that the child comes accross something he/she can't do, and loses trust in his/her parents' 'promises'. Psychobabble, but I think it is a fair point.

Last edited by michel; 04-28-2006 at 03:54 PM..
Old 04-28-2006, 04:21 PM
finalfrogo Offline
Religion: Neutralism
Title:Senior Member

Frubals: 135
finalfrogo is a ship on a sea of frubals.  Like the Titanic, only not sunk yet.finalfrogo is a ship on a sea of frubals.  Like the Titanic, only not sunk yet.finalfrogo is a ship on a sea of frubals.  Like the Titanic, only not sunk yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michel
Before I went out for my walk today, I was watching an English Guy on T.V. he had lost both his legs below the knee (I don't know how).

He was putting on prosthetics (carbon fibre 'skis' on a highly sprung strut that fitted onto the stumps); he has won many races at the para-Olympics. he was saying that he wants to be accepted for the 'ordinary' Olympics; but there are two conditions on which he might not be accepted 1. People would say that his sprung skis give him an advantage, 2) if he took a tumble, imagine someone falling onto the skis!

I was talking about this guy to a homeless guy I often chat to, and, to my surprise (when I said "What an incredible determination he must have!") he replied, "Maybe we don't want things enough".

It set me thinking; is he right ? Are we capable of so much more than that with which we settle ? If we really were determined enough, could we do more with our lives? What do you think? (look at your own achievements)
I have aspired for much in my life, and few of these aspirations have been fulfilled. I'd still like to believe that all reasonable things are possible.

"Undoubtedly, we become what we envisage."
-Claude M. Bristol
Old 04-28-2006, 04:34 PM
Bastet Offline
Title:Vile Stove-Toucher
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 633
Bastet is convinced frubals were placed here by superintelligent aliensBastet is convinced frubals were placed here by superintelligent aliensBastet is convinced frubals were placed here by superintelligent aliensBastet is convinced frubals were placed here by superintelligent aliensBastet is convinced frubals were placed here by superintelligent aliensBastet is convinced frubals were placed here by superintelligent aliensBastet is convinced frubals were placed here by superintelligent aliensBastet is convinced frubals were placed here by superintelligent aliens

Quote:
Originally Posted by michel
Are we capable of so much more than that with which we settle?
Absolutely. Far too many people settle for less than they want, and less than they deserve...usually out of fear of change, fear of failure, or fear of success (which brings us right back to that fear of change).

Old 04-29-2006, 03:57 PM
Scarlett Wampus Offline
Religion: curiousity
Title:psychonaut

Frubals: 439
Scarlett Wampus uses cutesy baby talk to say, 'There's my widdle fwubal!  Yez you are!  Yez you are!'Scarlett Wampus uses cutesy baby talk to say, 'There's my widdle fwubal!  Yez you are!  Yez you are!'Scarlett Wampus uses cutesy baby talk to say, 'There's my widdle fwubal!  Yez you are!  Yez you are!'Scarlett Wampus uses cutesy baby talk to say, 'There's my widdle fwubal!  Yez you are!  Yez you are!'Scarlett Wampus uses cutesy baby talk to say, 'There's my widdle fwubal!  Yez you are!  Yez you are!'Scarlett Wampus uses cutesy baby talk to say, 'There's my widdle fwubal!  Yez you are!  Yez you are!'Scarlett Wampus uses cutesy baby talk to say, 'There's my widdle fwubal!  Yez you are!  Yez you are!'

With enough patience, determination and self-discipline a great deal can be achieved. Unfortuately it's not always such a positive thing to be driven because it can distort judgement. I became so furiously devoted to martial arts, Magick and meditation when I was 15-16 that by the time I was 20 I'd convinced myself, and many others around me, that I was all but superhuman. It became such a burdon on my poor body & mind because not only was I pushing myself far too hard but treated any signs of personal weakness with contempt. Eventually I fell seriously ill and the patience, determination and self-discipline I had to draw upon to get through that made the efforts of the years prior to it seem as nothing. It wasn't just more of the same though, I had to deal with 'reality' too