Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Everything But the Kitchen Sink / General Debates
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 01:25 PM
Me Myself Offline
Religion: what?
Title:Back to my username
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For contributing 10,000 amazing posts! 

Frubals: 924
Me Myself gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares upMe Myself gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares upMe Myself gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares upMe Myself gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares upMe Myself gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares upMe Myself gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares upMe Myself gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares upMe Myself gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares upMe Myself gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares up
Default Difference in wages between men and women's jobs

YouTube

I found that interesting. Which is your posture on the issue?
Old 02-18-2013, 01:50 PM
dust1n Offline
Religion: Post-Anarchism
Title:Zindīq
Shield of The Renaissance Man: Awarded to a real polymath, a person with many talents or interests who contributes greatly to a wide range of discussions and debates - Issue reason: Your contributions to various topics over the years. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For getting 10,000 Posts 

Frubals: 1810
dust1n challenges your frubals to a duel using mackerels
dust1n challenges your frubals to a duel using mackerelsdust1n challenges your frubals to a duel using mackerelsdust1n challenges your frubals to a duel using mackerelsdust1n challenges your frubals to a duel using mackerelsdust1n challenges your frubals to a duel using mackerelsdust1n challenges your frubals to a duel using mackerelsdust1n challenges your frubals to a duel using mackerelsdust1n challenges your frubals to a duel using mackerelsdust1n challenges your frubals to a duel using mackerels

LMAO....

EDIT: Okay, I can breathe now. I guess this is what happens when one develops the most shallow understanding of income disparity and the methods and studies that have determined discrimination in the workplace.

Last edited by dust1n; 02-18-2013 at 01:54 PM..
Old 02-18-2013, 01:53 PM
Draka Offline
Religion: My Inner Dragon
Title:Cylon Skin Job
Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason: For your excellent contributions over the years Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For sharing 100 X 100 thoughts! 

Frubals: 2334
Draka worries about being fired for fuballing at workDraka worries about being fired for fuballing at work
Draka worries about being fired for fuballing at workDraka worries about being fired for fuballing at workDraka worries about being fired for fuballing at workDraka worries about being fired for fuballing at workDraka worries about being fired for fuballing at workDraka worries about being fired for fuballing at work

Not always a myth. While she may have point about what kind of jobs pay higher and lower, that doesn't mean that there aren't cases where women and men are paid differently for the same work. For example, a local hardware store here employs both men and women to work as sales people on its sales floor. Each person, regardless of gender, have the same types of duties. Stocking shelves, helping customers, inventory, and so on. The owner has notoriously paid the men who work there more than the women. Even newly hired college boys make more than women who have worked there for over 10 years. His supposed reasoning? Who knows? Maybe he thinks the men are more valuable because even though the women are more knowledgeable the customers would rather speaks to a man??? Or maybe he just values men more.

Point is, this can't just be a one place thing in the country. He's not the only person doing this. The issue is not with two people having two different jobs having two different levels of income. The issue is two people doing the exact same job and having two different levels of income with the only difference being their genitals.
Debating some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good at playing chess you are, the pigeon is just going to knock down all the pieces, poop on the board, and walk around all triumphant.

If extreme stupidity could be declared a form of torture, I'd turn you in.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:02 PM
Me Myself Offline
Religion: what?
Title:Back to my username
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For contributing 10,000 amazing posts! 

Frubals: 924
Me Myself gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares upMe Myself gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares upMe Myself gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares upMe Myself gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares upMe Myself gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares upMe Myself gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares upMe Myself gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares upMe Myself gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares upMe Myself gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draka View Post
Not always a myth. While she may have point about what kind of jobs pay higher and lower, that doesn't mean that there aren't cases where women and men are paid differently for the same work. For example, a local hardware store here employs both men and women to work as sales people on its sales floor. Each person, regardless of gender, have the same types of duties. Stocking shelves, helping customers, inventory, and so on. The owner has notoriously paid the men who work there more than the women. Even newly hired college boys make more than women who have worked there for over 10 years. His supposed reasoning? Who knows? Maybe he thinks the men are more valuable because even though the women are more knowledgeable the customers would rather speaks to a man??? Or maybe he just values men more.

Point is, this can't just be a one place thing in the country. He's not the only person doing this. The issue is not with two people having two different jobs having two different levels of income. The issue is two people doing the exact same job and having two different levels of income with the only difference being their genitals.
He must not be the only one indeed. I was looking it up, and there IS a gap when comparing the same jobs. Is usually around 10% more money to men, butore on the lower end, like 8 or 7. Does sound kinda crazy, I do wonder how was this done without some sort of court action? I mean while I get the law of equal payment is new, the laws against discrimination are not, so I do wonder.

There is also the posibilities that in some cases, given that women generaly take more on the role of caregivers when it comes to children, them being mothers aAND workers makes them effectively more tired than men when it comes to work. Of course in those scenarios ere would be an example of how a man should take aoe equal role on the parenting.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:09 PM
9-10ths_Penguin Offline
Religion: Hug Universalist
Title:1/10 البطريق
Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Tolerance Award:  - Issue reason:  Shield of 30,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 30,000 posts - Issue reason: For getting 30,000 Posts SPECIAL AWARD: Shield of The Silver Tongue: Awarded to a true wordsmith. A master at cleverly expressing themselves to great effect - Issue reason: For always being able to effectively express yourself. 

Frubals: 2975
9-10ths_Penguin thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubals9-10ths_Penguin thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubals
9-10ths_Penguin thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubals9-10ths_Penguin thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubals9-10ths_Penguin thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubals9-10ths_Penguin thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubals9-10ths_Penguin thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubals9-10ths_Penguin thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubals9-10ths_Penguin thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubals9-10ths_Penguin thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubals9-10ths_Penguin thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Myself View Post
At least in this country, companies are generally careful about paying employees of different gender in the same position the same wage... or at least basing any difference in wage on job performance and not gender.

However, I think that there can still be discrepancies between similar jobs in different fields. If we look at two jobs in two industries that have different job titles but are similar in terms of things like level of responsibility, physical effort, time commitment, harshness of the working environment, required level of skill/education/etc., and size of the labour pool for each job, we can often find that traditionally female-dominated jobs pay less than equivalent male-dominated jobs.

I think this is getting better, though - more and more, human resources staff are getting into job evaluation processes that look at these sorts of factors and try to ensure that different jobs with similar characteristics get paid the same.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:51 PM
F0uad Offline
Religion: Islam
Title:Intrepid Member

Frubals: 144
F0uad writes cutesy love poems to frubals, dotting every 'i' with a little happy faceF0uad writes cutesy love poems to frubals, dotting every 'i' with a little happy faceF0uad writes cutesy love poems to frubals, dotting every 'i' with a little happy face

That voice...
Old 02-24-2013, 12:10 AM
Sunstone Offline
Religion: The Way of the Wank
Title:De Diablo Del Fora
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: Link Exchange project Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason:  Shield of 50,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 50,000 posts - Issue reason: That's enough to fill a book! Congratulations! 

Frubals: 6966
Sunstone limps from a painful ingrown frubalSunstone limps from a painful ingrown frubal
Sunstone limps from a painful ingrown frubalSunstone limps from a painful ingrown frubalSunstone limps from a painful ingrown frubalSunstone limps from a painful ingrown frubalSunstone limps from a painful ingrown frubalSunstone limps from a painful ingrown frubalSunstone limps from a painful ingrown frubalSunstone limps from a painful ingrown frubalSunstone limps from a painful ingrown frubal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Myself View Post

YouTube

It's on the internet, so it must be true.

Certainty is a mind killer -- Debater Slayer

It has always surprised me how little attention philosophers have paid to humor, since it is a more significant process of mind than reason. Reason can only sort out perceptions, but the humor process is involved in changing them. -- Edward de Bono
Old 02-24-2013, 01:57 AM
oldbadger Offline
Religion: Deist
Title:Old Mongrel!

Frubals: 211
oldbadger won an award for full-contact competitive frubal jugglingoldbadger won an award for full-contact competitive frubal jugglingoldbadger won an award for full-contact competitive frubal jugglingoldbadger won an award for full-contact competitive frubal jugglingoldbadger won an award for full-contact competitive frubal juggling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draka View Post

Hi!

I notice that you are in Iowa. That State.... again! Doesn't seem to have a very good equal-rights record....?

Am I right in saying that different States seem to have varying values, laws and rights.....and Iowa is just a bit backward about equal-rights?

Is the shop owner breaking Iowan law, or is he allowed to pay less to women?

Every time I hear about Iowa I am shocked silly....
Old 02-24-2013, 04:04 AM
Reverend Rick Offline
Religion: Universal Life
Title:Retired
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: Ya know, I just kind of assumed everybody up in Redland already got this. Sorry for the over-site Rick. :p Tolerance Award:  - Issue reason:  Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats Rick. :yes: 

Frubals: 3158
Reverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkReverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkReverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television network
Reverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkReverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkReverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkReverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television network

Women who get paid less should take half of the responsibility for letting this happen.

I see many women get under paid and accept a fancy title in lieu of the better pay check.

"Director of Office Supplies" Well you get my point.

You show me a high paid person and I will show you a person who will walk off the job in a heart beat. You have to refuse to be taken advantage of.

You have to market yourself effectively. If you don't think you are worth a certain amount of money and refuse to work for less how on earth are you ever going to convince your employer to pay you what you need to be paid?
Old 02-24-2013, 04:20 AM
Reverend Rick Offline
Religion: Universal Life
Title:Retired
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: Ya know, I just kind of assumed everybody up in Redland already got this. Sorry for the over-site Rick. :p Tolerance Award:  - Issue reason:  Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats Rick. :yes: 

Frubals: 3158
Reverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkReverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkReverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television network
Reverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkReverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkReverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkReverend Rick is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television network

This is not just a women's issue. Years ago when the economy was in full swing, there was a shortage of high caliber painters. I knew a guy that was employed and a master at what he did. He was the foreman and ran the crew of painters.

The owner hired a bunch of new painters and on Friday when the foreman was passing out paychecks one of them opened up their envelope and made a comment about the amount of their check and the foreman realised he was making less money than the new hired folks.

He looked in the paper to find another job and saw an advertisement from his current employer offering a wage several dollars higher than he was being paid.

He stormed into the owners office and slammed the news paper on his desk and proclaimed he wanted to apply for this job!

Any employer will try to employ you for as little as they can and it is the employee's job to negotiate the better wage. Don't let an employer dictate what the wage is, tell them what you are willing to work for and take responsibility for your wage rate.

You do have to agree to work for them and what you will be paid. Market yourself and keep track of what other companies are paying for the same kind of work.

Lastly, some of the best painters I have ever seen where women.