Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Everything But the Kitchen Sink / General Debates
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2011, 05:34 AM
Madhuri Online!
Religion: Bhagavad Gita
Title:RF Goddess
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason:  Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason: For being an excellent representative of your religious path. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts! Congrats Malini :) 

Frubals: 1298
Madhuri covers frubals for religious reasons
Madhuri covers frubals for religious reasonsMadhuri covers frubals for religious reasonsMadhuri covers frubals for religious reasonsMadhuri covers frubals for religious reasonsMadhuri covers frubals for religious reasons
Default All's fair in love and war?

All's fair in love and war?

What do you think?

Chaitanya Mahaprabhu
Old 04-08-2011, 05:41 AM
Sunstone Online!
Religion: Podium Pounding
Title:De Diablo Del Fora
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: Link Exchange project Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason:  Shield of 50,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 50,000 posts - Issue reason: That's enough to fill a book! Congratulations! 

Frubals: 7189
Sunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nest
Sunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nest

If all's fair, it isn't love. Emotional dependency, maybe, but not love.

Certainty is a mind killer -- Debater Slayer

The most precious thing in life is its uncertainty. -- Kenko

It has always surprised me how little attention philosophers have paid to humor, since it is a more significant process of mind than reason. Reason can only sort out perceptions, but the humor process is involved in changing them. -- Edward de Bono
Old 04-08-2011, 05:42 AM
lunakilo Offline
Religion: between religions
Title:Uber Member

Frubals: 162
lunakilo isn't quite sure why frubals always leave a ring in the tublunakilo isn't quite sure why frubals always leave a ring in the tublunakilo isn't quite sure why frubals always leave a ring in the tublunakilo isn't quite sure why frubals always leave a ring in the tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhuri View Post

What do you think?
That I never understood that.

Of course all is not fair in love and war. You may be faced with a choice between the 'right' thing to do and the 'sensible' thing to do if you want to win, but just because it is the sensible thing to do doesn't make it fair.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:06 AM
Willamena Offline
Religion: Just Me
Title:Just be there, doing that
Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason: This creative thread award is given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: For your work on the chat system Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason: For your excellent contributions over the years. Shield of 30,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 30,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats Patty!! SPECIAL AWARD: Shield of the Enigma: For being absolutely puzzling and mysterious to all your peers. - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 3152
Willamena is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkWillamena is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkWillamena is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television network
Willamena is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkWillamena is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkWillamena is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkWillamena is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television network

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunakilo View Post
Of course all is not fair in love and war. You may be faced with a choice between the 'right' thing to do and the 'sensible' thing to do if you want to win, but just because it is the sensible thing to do doesn't make it fair.
...or a win.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:15 AM
Ungrateful Offline
Religion: WhatIs
Title:Freshman Member

Frubals: 14
Ungrateful will work for frubals

Quote:

What do you think?
I've always disliked this saying. It's a recipe for bad news.
Old 04-08-2011, 06:33 AM
Madhuri Online!
Religion: Bhagavad Gita
Title:RF Goddess
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason:  Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason: For being an excellent representative of your religious path. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts! Congrats Malini :) 

Frubals: 1298
Madhuri covers frubals for religious reasons
Madhuri covers frubals for religious reasonsMadhuri covers frubals for religious reasonsMadhuri covers frubals for religious reasonsMadhuri covers frubals for religious reasonsMadhuri covers frubals for religious reasons

I am actually unsure about it. For the most part, I don't really understand the logic behind it. But sometimes I find myself in a situation where it seems to make sense. And then afterwards I forget why it made sense.
Confusion..

Chaitanya Mahaprabhu
Old 04-08-2011, 07:33 AM
Ungrateful Offline

Quote:
I am actually unsure about it. For the most part, I don't really understand the logic behind it. But sometimes I find myself in a situation where it seems to make sense. And then afterwards I forget why it made sense.
Confusion..
I can totally understand that.

It seems to me sometimes that maybe sanitizing war with rules and "acceptable" types of attacks, actually makes it far more likely to occur, and keeps it going longer. Would it be less likely if, once a party took the step of attacking, there was no telling what might befall them in return? It might make the need for proper dialogue even more obvious. We seem to have a halfway house at the moment, where it's ok to fight "a bit". Does this encourage protracted suffering?

Perhaps we should say, as a world, ok, if you've got to the stage of taking lumps out of each other, get on with it and don't cry "foul". Perhaps all should be fair in war, because it is the end of civilised behaviour. I am not convinced enough to actually advocate that though, and do really feel that it's better to do all we can to make less violence the norm through internationally agreed law.

As for love though, how can it not be fair? When unfairness comes into it, to me that means a lack of love towards one, who can be wronged, justified by selfish love for another. That can only be fair if one thinks that love between two people is more important than anything else, I would dispute that strongly.

I think perhaps the saying had a different resonance years ago, and probably isn't really helpful in todays world.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:44 AM
Religion: Christian
Title:Pater Familias
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason: This award has been given to your peers and is well deserved. Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of 40,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 40,000 posts - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 3413
angellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubals
angellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubals

Quote:

What do you think?
I agree, but I think that "fairness" may be defined in a singular way here.

"Fairness" in this context means that a person will do just about anything to win their love and wars.

This is more of a proverb explaining human nature.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:01 AM
chinu Online!
Religion: Stoic
Title:Chinu.

Frubals: 414
chinu surprised your frubals with crabschinu surprised your frubals with crabschinu surprised your frubals with crabschinu surprised your frubals with crabschinu surprised your frubals with crabschinu surprised your frubals with crabschinu surprised your frubals with crabs

Quote:

What do you think?
But, wars are not fair in love, and love is not fair in wars.

_/\_
Chinu
Old 04-08-2011, 08:10 AM
Ungrateful Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by angellous_evangellous View Post
...This is more of a proverb explaining human nature.
Good point. Taken like that, rather than as a guide of how to act, it's quite revealing and could be helpful in avoiding conflict.