Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Everything But the Kitchen Sink / General Debates
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2005, 05:31 PM
Sunstone Offline
Religion: Podium Pounding
Title:De Diablo Del Fora
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: Link Exchange project Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason:  Shield of 50,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 50,000 posts - Issue reason: That's enough to fill a book! Congratulations! 

Frubals: 7250
Sunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nest
Sunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nest
Default Is American culture shallow and superficial?

It's often said that American culture is shallow and superficial. Is this true? What do you think?

Certainty is a mind killer -- Debater Slayer

The most precious thing in life is its uncertainty. -- Kenko

It has always surprised me how little attention philosophers have paid to humor, since it is a more significant process of mind than reason. Reason can only sort out perceptions, but the humor process is involved in changing them. -- Edward de Bono
Old 03-19-2005, 05:46 PM
No*s Offline
Religion: Orthodox
Title:Captain Obvious
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 516
No*s is starting to get quite the frubal bellyNo*s is starting to get quite the frubal bellyNo*s is starting to get quite the frubal bellyNo*s is starting to get quite the frubal bellyNo*s is starting to get quite the frubal bellyNo*s is starting to get quite the frubal bellyNo*s is starting to get quite the frubal bellyNo*s is starting to get quite the frubal belly

I can't say for certain. My experiences of multiple cultures outside of reading is a bit limited .

From what I've seen, American culture is simply another culture. Granted, it's rife with materialism, but that comes in times of plenty. It'll pass, and we'll be back to something else (hopefully, it'll pass gently).
Old 03-19-2005, 05:48 PM
Saw11_2000 Offline
Title:Non-Theist

Frubals: 160
Saw11_2000 isn't quite sure why frubals always leave a ring in the tubSaw11_2000 isn't quite sure why frubals always leave a ring in the tubSaw11_2000 isn't quite sure why frubals always leave a ring in the tubSaw11_2000 isn't quite sure why frubals always leave a ring in the tub

People who say american culture is shallow are biased. A lot of Americans I bet think their culture is shallow. Classic, if you don't do what I do, you're wrong, crap.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:49 PM
Druidus Offline
Religion: N/A
Title:Keeper of the Grove
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 538
Druidus will try to make you laugh hard enough to spew frubals from your noseDruidus will try to make you laugh hard enough to spew frubals from your noseDruidus will try to make you laugh hard enough to spew frubals from your noseDruidus will try to make you laugh hard enough to spew frubals from your noseDruidus will try to make you laugh hard enough to spew frubals from your noseDruidus will try to make you laugh hard enough to spew frubals from your noseDruidus will try to make you laugh hard enough to spew frubals from your noseDruidus will try to make you laugh hard enough to spew frubals from your nose

Culture?

j/k

It is the same as any other culture, but, as No*s said, it is the culture with (probably) the most materialism.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:59 PM
robtex Offline
Religion: Atheist
Title:Staff on Sabbatical
Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: 10,000 posts! 

Frubals: 1189
robtex was charged for 'enhanced interrogation methods' for subjecting frubals to loud disco music
robtex was charged for 'enhanced interrogation methods' for subjecting frubals to loud disco musicrobtex was charged for 'enhanced interrogation methods' for subjecting frubals to loud disco musicrobtex was charged for 'enhanced interrogation methods' for subjecting frubals to loud disco musicrobtex was charged for 'enhanced interrogation methods' for subjecting frubals to loud disco music

If shallow means lack of dept than yes due to the fact that the new people came over less than 500 years ago we have quite a bit less cultural history to our lives than other countries.

However, superficial is not pratical at this point in our history. We are currently in what is called a bear market combined with an economic downturn. This means trading is more conservative than the norm and our economy has less value than say 5 years ago.

With the average family earning less money and probably haveing more expenses than just a few years ago most people are making do on less. The first thing to go is luxaries in times like this. Departement stores sales are falling through the floor espcially in electronics and furniture. Auto sales are lower with more conservative cars (as opposed to flashy) being sold than normal. Recreations are being redefined by many in the way of hiking and camping instead of resort trips.

This economic crunch which is now about 5 years old ( it stared before 9/11 happened), is making many people who are not wealthy much more simple in their pleasure seeking ideas.

I think that the economy of any country is tied to their level of superficially and the length of the cultures existance is tied to how shallow it is. If my opinion holds merit than the USA, being one of the newer cultures today is going to be shallow by justified comparision and superficailty is becoming less and less practical over here as the economic slump matures.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:14 PM
Master Vigil Offline
Religion: Different than yours
Title:Staff on Sabbatical
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 646
Master Vigil worries that, at this rate, we may be approaching peak frubals in the near futureMaster Vigil worries that, at this rate, we may be approaching peak frubals in the near futureMaster Vigil worries that, at this rate, we may be approaching peak frubals in the near futureMaster Vigil worries that, at this rate, we may be approaching peak frubals in the near futureMaster Vigil worries that, at this rate, we may be approaching peak frubals in the near futureMaster Vigil worries that, at this rate, we may be approaching peak frubals in the near futureMaster Vigil worries that, at this rate, we may be approaching peak frubals in the near futureMaster Vigil worries that, at this rate, we may be approaching peak frubals in the near future

I think the biggest problem is that the shallow material part of our culture is the one that everyone sees. (Media, hollywood, music, etc...) I actually think those people are the minority, they just have the biggest voices. Because the simple people have better things to do.

Old 03-19-2005, 06:26 PM
Jaymes Offline
Religion: Cake
Title:The cake is a lie
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason: This Kindness award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. 

Frubals: 1064
Jaymes worries that dead frubals might have ghosts
Jaymes worries that dead frubals might have ghostsJaymes worries that dead frubals might have ghosts

From what I've seen among my peers, too many people care too much about movies and fashion and not enough about their fellow man and the world. Yes, American culture is shallow and superficial.

Old 03-19-2005, 06:34 PM
Religion: Reform Jew
Title:Senior Member

Frubals: 162
standing_on_one_foot isn't quite sure why frubals always leave a ring in the tubstanding_on_one_foot isn't quite sure why frubals always leave a ring in the tubstanding_on_one_foot isn't quite sure why frubals always leave a ring in the tubstanding_on_one_foot isn't quite sure why frubals always leave a ring in the tub

Um, yes, there are certainly aspects of American culture that's shallow and superficial, but not all of it.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:02 PM
martha Offline
Religion: God/peace
Title:Junior Member

Frubals: 192
martha thinks frubals are the most fun you can have without a goat and some Jellomartha thinks frubals are the most fun you can have without a goat and some Jellomartha thinks frubals are the most fun you can have without a goat and some Jellomartha thinks frubals are the most fun you can have without a goat and some Jello

I think I have to agree with Jensa. Sometimes I wish there was a Good News newspaper and station on TV so that I could see the goodness in day to day life. I get tired of the misery and shock value as the standard.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:18 PM
kreeden Offline
Religion: Ogre
Title:Virus of the Mind

Frubals: 267
kreeden volunteers by giving sponge baths at the home for aging frubalskreeden volunteers by giving sponge baths at the home for aging frubalskreeden volunteers by giving sponge baths at the home for aging frubalskreeden volunteers by giving sponge baths at the home for aging frubalskreeden volunteers by giving sponge baths at the home for aging frubals

I donít need your war machines
I donít need your ghetto scenes
Coloured lights can hypnotize
Sparkle someone elseís eyes

Sorry , I grew up listing to the Guess Who . But yes , it can be very shallow . It can also put a man on the moon ....

BTW there is a story behind the song " American Woman ". Randy wasn't too happy have a border guard when he wrote it . It seems that when he asked the gaurd directions to the nearest " service station " , the band was sent to the nearest recuiting station . And that was during Vietnam , so I think that he may have had reason to be a little upset ....