Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Everything But the Kitchen Sink / General Debates
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2005, 06:15 AM
Melody Offline
Religion: Believer
Title:Intrepid Member

Frubals: 594
Melody gets some kind of sick thrill from fruballing you in the showerMelody gets some kind of sick thrill from fruballing you in the showerMelody gets some kind of sick thrill from fruballing you in the showerMelody gets some kind of sick thrill from fruballing you in the showerMelody gets some kind of sick thrill from fruballing you in the showerMelody gets some kind of sick thrill from fruballing you in the showerMelody gets some kind of sick thrill from fruballing you in the showerMelody gets some kind of sick thrill from fruballing you in the shower

I don't think American culture is any more or less shallow than any other western culture.
Psa 119:105
Old 03-20-2005, 02:51 PM
Sunstone Offline
Religion: Podium Pounding
Title:De Diablo Del Fora
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: Link Exchange project Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason:  Shield of 50,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 50,000 posts - Issue reason: That's enough to fill a book! Congratulations! 

Frubals: 7123
Sunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nest
Sunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nest

Have you listenned to conservative talk radio recently? Isn't that shallow?

Certainty is a mind killer -- Debater Slayer

The most precious thing in life is its uncertainty. -- Kenko

It has always surprised me how little attention philosophers have paid to humor, since it is a more significant process of mind than reason. Reason can only sort out perceptions, but the humor process is involved in changing them. -- Edward de Bono
Old 03-20-2005, 03:08 PM
No*s Offline
Religion: Orthodox
Title:Captain Obvious
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 516
No*s is starting to get quite the frubal bellyNo*s is starting to get quite the frubal bellyNo*s is starting to get quite the frubal bellyNo*s is starting to get quite the frubal bellyNo*s is starting to get quite the frubal bellyNo*s is starting to get quite the frubal bellyNo*s is starting to get quite the frubal bellyNo*s is starting to get quite the frubal belly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstone
Is it honestly any less shallow than the opposing side? Conservative talk radio is simply one manifestation of our politics, and if you ask me, both sides can get pretty shallow.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:17 PM
Lightkeeper Offline
Title:Esteemed Member
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 241
Lightkeeper thinks your frubals look fakeLightkeeper thinks your frubals look fakeLightkeeper thinks your frubals look fakeLightkeeper thinks your frubals look fakeLightkeeper thinks your frubals look fake

There is so much to our culture, that I don't see how you can make an overall statement. We come to the rescue of countries in trouble. We have many outreach programs. We have artists, musicians, poets, scientists, engineers, etc. Many people are on a spiritual quest. The fact that we make mistakes shows that we are seeking.

Last edited by Lightkeeper; 03-20-2005 at 03:29 PM..
Old 03-20-2005, 03:19 PM
Sunstone Offline
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: Link Exchange project Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason:  Shield of 50,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 50,000 posts - Issue reason: That's enough to fill a book! Congratulations! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by No*s
Is it honestly any less shallow than the opposing side? Conservative talk radio is simply one manifestation of our politics, and if you ask me, both sides can get pretty shallow.
I actually agree with you, No*s. Even though I'm pretty liberal, I admit that liberal pundits can be as shallow as conservative pundits. Maybe it's just that politics itself tends to be shallow.

It has always surprised me how little attention philosophers have paid to humor, since it is a more significant process of mind than reason. Reason can only sort out perceptions, but the humor process is involved in changing them. -- Edward de Bono
Old 03-20-2005, 03:24 PM
Sunstone Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightkeeper
There is so much to our culture, that I don't see how you can make an overall statement. We come to the rescue of countries in trouble. We have many outreach programs. We have artists, musicians, poets, scientists, engineers, etc. Many people are on a spiritual quest. The fact that we make mistakes show that we are seeking.
Good point, Lightkeeper. It's a sweeping generalization to say that American culture is either shallow or profound. The truth is closer to saying that some aspects of it are comparatively shallow and some aspects of it are comparatively profound.

Old 03-20-2005, 03:24 PM
No*s Offline
Religion: Orthodox
Title:Captain Obvious
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 516
No*s is starting to get quite the frubal bellyNo*s is starting to get quite the frubal bellyNo*s is starting to get quite the frubal bellyNo*s is starting to get quite the frubal bellyNo*s is starting to get quite the frubal bellyNo*s is starting to get quite the frubal bellyNo*s is starting to get quite the frubal bellyNo*s is starting to get quite the frubal belly

Quote:
I actually agree with you, No*s. Even though I'm pretty liberal, I admit that liberal pundits can be as shallow as conservative pundits. Maybe it's just that politics itself tends to be shallow.
OK .

I think you're right in that. The best minds tend to go elsewhere. They're in physics or the sciences predominantly now. We can also find them in philosophy, and in the past theology (this is less of a trend now). I find it interesting that I rarely read a political treatise where the author's work simply seems brilliant, but I do in science, philosophy, theology, and so on. I've wondered about that before .
Old 03-20-2005, 03:28 PM
Sunstone Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by No*s
OK .

I think you're right in that. The best minds tend to go elsewhere. They're in physics or the sciences predominantly now. We can also find them in philosophy, and in the past theology (this is less of a trend now). I find it interesting that I rarely read a political treatise where the author's work simply seems brilliant, but I do in science, philosophy, theology, and so on. I've wondered about that before .
I'm relieved that the Founders didn't have the same aversion to politics as most of us do today. Maybe the founding of the country was the last time we had many first rate minds engaged in politics.

Old 03-20-2005, 03:30 PM
Melody Offline

Melody gets some kind of sick thrill from fruballing you in the showerMelody gets some kind of sick thrill from fruballing you in the showerMelody gets some kind of sick thrill from fruballing you in the showerMelody gets some kind of sick thrill from fruballing you in the showerMelody gets some kind of sick thrill from fruballing you in the showerMelody gets some kind of sick thrill from fruballing you in the showerMelody gets some kind of sick thrill from fruballing you in the showerMelody gets some kind of sick thrill from fruballing you in the shower

Quote:
That's only a small aspect of our culture. I'm sure you can find the same sort of stuff in many European countries.
Old 03-20-2005, 03:31 PM
Melody Offline

Quote:
I wouldn't argue with you on that. We were watching one of those news shows this morning and they were discussing the Schiavo case in terms of the political advantage/disadvantage of taking sides. Apparently memos are already circulating among the politicians on how they can best use this for their advantage. Shallow and disgusting.