Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Religious Debates / Evolution Vs. Creationism
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2009, 04:23 PM
Jose Fly Offline
Religion: Large wooden badgers
Title:Fisker of men

Frubals: 167
Jose Fly goes around asking, 'Do these frubals make my butt look big?'Jose Fly goes around asking, 'Do these frubals make my butt look big?'Jose Fly goes around asking, 'Do these frubals make my butt look big?'Jose Fly goes around asking, 'Do these frubals make my butt look big?'

Eselam,

Regarding your notion that we should find a fossil specimen that is "half bird, half reptile" in every way, it reminded me of a blog entry by science writer Carl Zimmer (emphasis mine).....

"The recent splash about a certain fossil primate has revealed yet again just how much a lot of people (sadly, including a lot of journalists) want to cling to the notion that paleontologists are only interested in missing links–which, I guess, are supposed to be the direct ancestors of some living group of organisms that are precisely halfway between primitive forerunners and the advanced living creatures.

This notion is wrong in many ways. First of all, the entire body plan shared by, say, living birds did not leap into existence in a single ancestor. In fact, what we today consider the bird body plan actually evolved through a long series of steps. Different parts of bird anatomy evolved at different times. It’s now generally agreed that birds descend from a group of dinosaurs called theropods that includes lots of famous two-legged species like T. rex and Velociraptor. Many studies show that feathers had already evolved in forms seen on birds today on dinosaurs long before they had wings, beaks, or lots of other adaptations that all birds today have. So looking for “the” missing link for birds is ridiculous from the get-go
."

LINK
Old 07-14-2009, 04:25 PM
painted wolf Offline
Religion: Native American
Title:Grey Muzzle
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason: For the knowledge, research and effort you put into your posts. Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 1673
painted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much larger
painted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much larger

Perhaps it's in the way it's presented ....

wa:do
Old 07-14-2009, 10:27 PM
Gharib Offline
Religion: Islam
Title:I want Khilafah back

Frubals: 430
Gharib will rent out frubals to newer members wanting to impress peopleGharib will rent out frubals to newer members wanting to impress peopleGharib will rent out frubals to newer members wanting to impress peopleGharib will rent out frubals to newer members wanting to impress peopleGharib will rent out frubals to newer members wanting to impress peopleGharib will rent out frubals to newer members wanting to impress peopleGharib will rent out frubals to newer members wanting to impress people

Quote:
Originally Posted by mball1297 View Post
The problem is that he's been given all kinds of information over and over and over again on these very questions, and he has shown that he has no real interest in trying to learn new information.
oh so me asking for more information on the cratures that i said should exists which now do, is somehow meaning that i am not wanting to learn, is that right?
... So blessed is Allah , the best of creators. [23:14]
Old 07-14-2009, 10:28 PM
Gharib Offline

Gharib will rent out frubals to newer members wanting to impress peopleGharib will rent out frubals to newer members wanting to impress peopleGharib will rent out frubals to newer members wanting to impress peopleGharib will rent out frubals to newer members wanting to impress peopleGharib will rent out frubals to newer members wanting to impress peopleGharib will rent out frubals to newer members wanting to impress peopleGharib will rent out frubals to newer members wanting to impress people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Fly View Post
Eselam,

Regarding your notion that we should find a fossil specimen that is "half bird, half reptile" in every way, it reminded me of a blog entry by science writer Carl Zimmer (emphasis mine).....

"The recent splash about a certain fossil primate has revealed yet again just how much a lot of people (sadly, including a lot of journalists) want to cling to the notion that paleontologists are only interested in missing links–which, I guess, are supposed to be the direct ancestors of some living group of organisms that are precisely halfway between primitive forerunners and the advanced living creatures.

This notion is wrong in many ways. First of all, the entire body plan shared by, say, living birds did not leap into existence in a single ancestor. In fact, what we today consider the bird body plan actually evolved through a long series of steps. Different parts of bird anatomy evolved at different times. It’s now generally agreed that birds descend from a group of dinosaurs called theropods that includes lots of famous two-legged species like T. rex and Velociraptor. Many studies show that feathers had already evolved in forms seen on birds today on dinosaurs long before they had wings, beaks, or lots of other adaptations that all birds today have. So looking for “the” missing link for birds is ridiculous from the get-go."

LINK
ok man i'll take a look. i didn't know it is about the same creatures as the ones painted wolf just spoke about.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:38 AM
Magic Man Offline
Religion: Trampolinist
Title:Reaper of Conversation
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved.   Congratulations! Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For Reaching the 10,000 post mark! 

Frubals: 1405
Magic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the project
Magic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the projectMagic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the projectMagic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the projectMagic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the projectMagic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the projectMagic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the projectMagic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the project

Quote:
Originally Posted by eselam View Post
oh so me asking for more information on the cratures that i said should exists which now do, is somehow meaning that i am not wanting to learn, is that right?
Yes, considering you've done so many times before, and yet you still ignore all of the evidence in favor of the first thing that pops up that might possibly prove evolution wrong. The first time I debated this topic with you, you seemed very polite and willing to learn, and so I treated you accordingly. However, then you showed that that was all a lie, and you really have no interest in learning anything that might possibly contradict your fundamentalist beliefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted wolf
Perhaps it's in the way it's presented ....
Believe me, I understand what you're saying, but as I said above, I gave eselam a chance months ago, when I first discussed this topic with him. I was patient and gave him evidence, and the best explanations I could. I presented it as calmly and politely as possible. He even seemed willing to listen. Then, it turned out he never intended to take it seriously, and instead went back to the attitude he's displayed eer since.

Whom = him, her
Who = he, she
Old 07-15-2009, 09:35 AM
Autodidact Offline
Religion: atheist
Title:Intentionally Blank
Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 1582
Autodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassy
Autodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassyAutodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassyAutodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassyAutodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassyAutodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassyAutodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassyAutodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassyAutodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassy

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted wolf View Post
Is there anything wrong with wanting to find out more information away from the forum?

Rather than attack the guy... can't you give him a chance?

I don't have a problem with that. I get the impression though that he's arguing something like, "I can't find the information to disprove these examples, therefore they're disproven." Which would be weird.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:48 AM
painted wolf Offline
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason: For the knowledge, research and effort you put into your posts. Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason:  

painted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much larger

You know... it's really hard to find a good, comprehensive web page on bird evolution... I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. There used to be a few out there, but it looks like they aren't functional anymore.

Anyway, the wiki on bird evolution isn't too bad... nor is their page on feathered dinosaurs.
Bird evolution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Feathered dinosaurs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you can get it from a library exchange or something, I highly suggest this book:
Amazon.com: Glorified Dinosaurs: The Origin and Early Evolution of Birds: Luis M. Chiappe: Books
It goes through the best as well as some of the obscure fossil birds as well as their evolutionary history. It also talks about some of the current areas of debate between scientists and how we figure out what we know and what we can't be sure of yet.
It also has a lot of lovely photos of the actual fossils and lets you know just how many examples of some of these species we have.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:17 AM
Gharib Offline

ok guys i will be honest, i am trying to dissprove evolution, this theory anyway. i'm not an evolutionist and as long as there are evidences against it, i'm not going to become an evolutionist.

so is anyone of you now willing to effend evolution or not? let me know. ok.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:13 AM
painted wolf Offline

As long as you are honest about learning the evidence of both sides I don't mind.

That is what I did and now I'm a biologist (with faith intact).

Old 07-17-2009, 07:36 AM
Gharib Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted wolf View Post
As long as you are honest about learning the evidence of both sides I don't mind.

That is what I did and now I'm a biologist (with faith intact).

well a big part of that honesty is me asking you guys to post links and sources rather than me go to some fanatical creationist website and just post things here.

i will not lie about anything, i'm not a liar, i will only speak of that which is there, and will not make things up.

thanks wolf

can i say

wa:do, to you?