Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Religious Debates / Evolution Vs. Creationism
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2009, 10:01 AM
linwood Offline
Religion: None
Title:Awesome Member

Frubals: 916
linwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of society

I love this thread.

I don`t want to see it trashed with a creo/evo argument.

You`ll get no decent debate from this creo so I`d like to ask that this "debate" be taken elsewhere please.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Autodidact Offline
Religion: atheist
Title:Intentionally Blank
Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 1582
Autodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassy
Autodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassyAutodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassyAutodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassyAutodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassyAutodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassyAutodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassyAutodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassyAutodidact learned the hard way NEVER to travel with frubals when they're gassy

Maybe a mod could move the non-informational posts?

Old 07-16-2009, 11:43 AM
linwood Offline
Religion: None
Title:Awesome Member

Frubals: 916
linwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of societylinwood overcame a strong case of frubalphobia and is now almost a productive member of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autodidact View Post
Maybe a mod could move the non-informational posts?
It`s not that big a deal.

If Carico continues we should just point him to a more appropriate thread.

Thanks Auto

Old 07-17-2009, 02:05 AM
Alceste Offline
Religion: Taoish
Title:Vagabond
Shield of Valour: Awarded for heroic and decisive victory in the battlefield of debate - Issue reason:  Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats!! SPECIAL AWARD: Shield of The Silver Tongue: Awarded to a true wordsmith. A master at cleverly expressing themselves to great effect - Issue reason: For always being able to effectively express yourself. 

Frubals: 2694
Alceste gave up on the dream of being a poet because not much rhymes very well with 'frubal'Alceste gave up on the dream of being a poet because not much rhymes very well with 'frubal'
Alceste gave up on the dream of being a poet because not much rhymes very well with 'frubal'Alceste gave up on the dream of being a poet because not much rhymes very well with 'frubal'Alceste gave up on the dream of being a poet because not much rhymes very well with 'frubal'Alceste gave up on the dream of being a poet because not much rhymes very well with 'frubal'Alceste gave up on the dream of being a poet because not much rhymes very well with 'frubal'Alceste gave up on the dream of being a poet because not much rhymes very well with 'frubal'Alceste gave up on the dream of being a poet because not much rhymes very well with 'frubal'Alceste gave up on the dream of being a poet because not much rhymes very well with 'frubal'

Quote:
You`ll get no decent debate from this creo so I`d like to ask that this "debate" be taken elsewhere please.
I haven't read a single one of its posts. I tried to read the first one, but my eyes just slid off after four words. I've tried to read a few more since, with the exact same results. Anyway, whatever it is, it will go away if we don't feed it.

Questions about evolution...

What is the largest single celled organism, how old is it, and what is its ancestry?
Old 07-17-2009, 11:51 AM
painted wolf Offline
Religion: Native American
Title:Grey Muzzle
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason: For the knowledge, research and effort you put into your posts. Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 1673
painted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much larger
painted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much larger

Quote:
What is the largest single celled organism, how old is it, and what is its ancestry?
Oooh... fun and difficult question.

The largest virus is about the size of a bacteria (both physically and in terms of it's genome).. This is Mimiviurs and it's between 900 and 1,200 genes make it more complex than the simplest bacteria. It's really important in blurring that line between 'life' and 'not-life'.
It's a DNA virus that infects amoeba. Mimivirus

The largest bacteria can be seen with the naked eye. 0.75mm long! Thiomargarita namibiensis. WHOI : Oceanus : Image : Is Life Thriving Deep Beneath the Seafloor?

One of the largest protists is Syringammina fragilissima who can reach 8 inches across!
http://deepseanews.com/2008/10/the-2...enophyophores/

Then you have Caulerpa an algae who can apparently grow to more than nine feet long! This one I don't know a lot about... or how much it really counts as a single cell.
http://www.brookscole.com/biology_d/...t/ch04-01.html

I can't give you specific ages for each species unfortunately.

wa:do
Old 07-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Alceste Offline
Religion: Taoish
Title:Vagabond
Shield of Valour: Awarded for heroic and decisive victory in the battlefield of debate - Issue reason:  Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats!! SPECIAL AWARD: Shield of The Silver Tongue: Awarded to a true wordsmith. A master at cleverly expressing themselves to great effect - Issue reason: For always being able to effectively express yourself. 

Frubals: 2694
Alceste gave up on the dream of being a poet because not much rhymes very well with 'frubal'Alceste gave up on the dream of being a poet because not much rhymes very well with 'frubal'
Alceste gave up on the dream of being a poet because not much rhymes very well with 'frubal'Alceste gave up on the dream of being a poet because not much rhymes very well with 'frubal'Alceste gave up on the dream of being a poet because not much rhymes very well with 'frubal'Alceste gave up on the dream of being a poet because not much rhymes very well with 'frubal'Alceste gave up on the dream of being a poet because not much rhymes very well with 'frubal'Alceste gave up on the dream of being a poet because not much rhymes very well with 'frubal'Alceste gave up on the dream of being a poet because not much rhymes very well with 'frubal'Alceste gave up on the dream of being a poet because not much rhymes very well with 'frubal'

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted wolf View Post
Oooh... fun and difficult question.

The largest virus is about the size of a bacteria (both physically and in terms of it's genome).. This is Mimiviurs and it's between 900 and 1,200 genes make it more complex than the simplest bacteria. It's really important in blurring that line between 'life' and 'not-life'.
It's a DNA virus that infects amoeba. Mimivirus

The largest bacteria can be seen with the naked eye. 0.75mm long! Thiomargarita namibiensis. WHOI : Oceanus : Image : Is Life Thriving Deep Beneath the Seafloor?

One of the largest protists is Syringammina fragilissima who can reach 8 inches across!
The 27 Best Deep-Sea Species: #22 Xenophyophores | Deep Sea News

Then you have Caulerpa an algae who can apparently grow to more than nine feet long! This one I don't know a lot about... or how much it really counts as a single cell.
http://www.brookscole.com/biology_d/...t/ch04-01.html

I can't give you specific ages for each species unfortunately.

No worries, I just threw the "ancestry" thing in there to make it more "about evolution", as per the topic of the thread. I remembered it was some kind of sea thingy, but for some reason I thought it was a jelly-like thingy.

That sticky, spongy thing is extremely cool. I will keep my eyes peeled next time I get a chance to go diving.
Old 07-18-2009, 01:24 PM
Inky Offline
Title:Junior Member

Frubals: 138
Inky is a ship on a sea of frubals.  Like the Titanic, only not sunk yet.Inky is a ship on a sea of frubals.  Like the Titanic, only not sunk yet.Inky is a ship on a sea of frubals.  Like the Titanic, only not sunk yet.

Quote:
Polyploidy (an increase in the number of chromosomes) is caused by a 'goof up' in meiosis.
During meiosis the chromosomes are supposed to divide up into two half sets... sometimes this doesn't happen and you end up with a gamete (sex cell) that has a full set of chromosomes.

Plants are highly resistant to changes in ploidy and they can essentially go crazy with chromosome numbers... This may have to do with the fact that upping the number of chromosomes in a cell also increases the size of the cell and plants with their cell walls are better able to cope with that increase.

That's very interesting, thanks. : ) Do differences in ploidy between animal species with a common ancestor start out with one individual who got the "wrong" number, who ended up founding a new species? Or is it more complicated than that? I got really interested in this for some reason and Wikipedia has failed me!
Old 07-18-2009, 03:58 PM
painted wolf Offline
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason: For the knowledge, research and effort you put into your posts. Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason:  

painted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much larger

Quote:
That's very interesting, thanks. : )
You're welcome.

Quote:
Do differences in ploidy between animal species with a common ancestor start out with one individual who got the "wrong" number, who ended up founding a new species? Or is it more complicated than that? I got really interested in this for some reason and Wikipedia has failed me!
With plants it's that simple... most polyploid plants are capable of asexual reproduction.
With animals it's a little more complicated... while a whole litter of offspring can be born with the same ploidy.. the exact nature of how such species get a foothold is still being studied.
Most of that research is being done on a group of rodent species called Viscascha Rats. They have a couple of species that seem to have recently developed due to ploidy events.

There is still quite a bit to learn about this aspect of evolution.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:11 PM
DarkSun Offline
Religion: :noigileR
Title::eltiT

Frubals: 304
DarkSun brags that these frubals cause less gas than regular onesDarkSun brags that these frubals cause less gas than regular onesDarkSun brags that these frubals cause less gas than regular onesDarkSun brags that these frubals cause less gas than regular onesDarkSun brags that these frubals cause less gas than regular onesDarkSun brags that these frubals cause less gas than regular ones

Quote:
Plants are highly resistant to changes in ploidy and they can essentially go crazy with chromosome numbers... This may have to do with the fact that upping the number of chromosomes in a cell also increases the size of the cell and plants with their cell walls are better able to cope with that increase.

But why are plants immune to conditions like trisomy 21, karyotype 47 XXY, karyotype 45X and so forth. I can understand how the cell-wall could restrict their size, but surely that has no bearing on the biological/chemical pathways determined by the DNA of the cell.

Forgive me if I sound silly in saying this.

Last edited by DarkSun; 07-19-2009 at 04:23 AM..
Old 07-18-2009, 07:49 PM
painted wolf Offline

Quote:
But why are plants immune to conditions like trisomy 21, karyotype 47 XXY, karyotype 45X and so fourth. I can understand how the cell-wall could restrict their size, but surely that has no bearing on the biological/chemical pathways determined by the DNA of the cell.

Forgive me if I sound silly in saying this.
Not at all...
They aren't immune per say... but they are far more resistant.
Plants seem to be able to handle the extra product that the additional chromosomes produce.

I'm not 100% sure why personally... though my guess is that it's because plants don't use biochemical signals in quite the same way as animals, and thus extra product may not be as damaging.

So it's totally not a silly question... it's actually something that I wonder about too... I'll have to see if the botany professor at my university has any idea.