Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Religious Debates / Evolution Vs. Creationism
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2012, 05:43 PM
Religion: Christian
Title:Pater Familias
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason: This award has been given to your peers and is well deserved. Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of 40,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 40,000 posts - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 3401
angellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubals
angellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubalsangellous_evangellous likes the funny noises you can make by squeezing your frubals

Here you go:

Evolution Vs Creationism – Family Guy Style » Religious Freaks
Old 07-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Revoltingest Offline
Religion: Ignorant Atheist
Title:Dark Lord Of Bacon
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of 40,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 40,000 posts - Issue reason: For 40 x 1,000 posts. Or 4 times 10,000 posts, or. . . anyway you slice it, that's a lot of posts!! Congrats Rev!! 

Frubals: 2668
Revoltingest is a frubal receptacleRevoltingest is a frubal receptacle
Revoltingest is a frubal receptacleRevoltingest is a frubal receptacleRevoltingest is a frubal receptacleRevoltingest is a frubal receptacleRevoltingest is a frubal receptacleRevoltingest is a frubal receptacleRevoltingest is a frubal receptacleRevoltingest is a frubal receptacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by angellous_evangellous View Post
Nah....derivative.
And without the great music or Homer.
Simpsons rule!
Old 07-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Krok Offline
Religion: None
Title:Junior Member

Frubals: 57
Krok has a reputation beyond reputeKrok has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttechsan View Post
Michael Behe's Blog - Uncommon Descent

Evolutionist please reply specifically with scientific answers as there are many things to reply to. Also in his book pages (171 - 177). I would also like explanations to his science as he has IMHO more credentials than others on here.
Michael Behe thinks that astrology is "science".

It has also been found by both the scientific community and by the courts that ID is not science.

Why do you want people to give a scientific reply to a religious blog?

Anyway, Michael Behe has been shown, in court, under oath, to be talking nonsense and twisting the truth. By a scientist with better credentials than Michael Behe on this subject. You really should read more.

Last edited by Krok; 07-04-2012 at 10:22 PM..
Old 07-04-2012, 11:00 PM
Religion: Pantheist
Title:quintessence of dust

Frubals: 898
fantôme profane reserves the red phone for frubal emergenciesfantôme profane reserves the red phone for frubal emergenciesfantôme profane reserves the red phone for frubal emergenciesfantôme profane reserves the red phone for frubal emergenciesfantôme profane reserves the red phone for frubal emergenciesfantôme profane reserves the red phone for frubal emergenciesfantôme profane reserves the red phone for frubal emergenciesfantôme profane reserves the red phone for frubal emergenciesfantôme profane reserves the red phone for frubal emergencies

Quote:

Evolutionist please reply specifically with scientific answers as there are many things to reply to. Also in his book pages (171 - 177). I would also like explanations to his science as he has IMHO more credentials than others on here.
How disgustingly disingenuous. You expect us to respect Behe's position because of his credentials, but I could easily name thounsands of scientist with equal or greater credentials who insist that intelligent design is complete nonsense. That apparently holds no weight with you, why do you expect us to bow to Behe's degree?

And let me also remind you that Behe is an "evolutionist". Behe believes in common descent. He believes that humans and chimps share a common ancestor, that all life shares a common ancestor, and he even believes that mutation and natural selection explains most of this.

(I don't know why we bother with this)

Finding Darwin’s God” by Kenneth R. Miller. For anyone interested in Creation/Evolution
Old 07-05-2012, 02:51 AM
Religion: atheist
Title:Senior Member

Frubals: 139
work in progress is a ship on a sea of frubals.  Like the Titanic, only not sunk yet.work in progress is a ship on a sea of frubals.  Like the Titanic, only not sunk yet.work in progress is a ship on a sea of frubals.  Like the Titanic, only not sunk yet.

Quote:

Have you read Michael Behe's books or his blog? I'm of the opinion that very few fundamentalist Christians looking for reasons not to accept evolution, ever crack open these books...otherwise they would discover that these "intelligent design" guys actually accept most of evolutionary theory already!

For example: about 15 years ago, a co-worker who kept trying to debate me about the Bible being a literal, historical record dropped Behe's first book - Darwin's Black Box on me. Between the covers, I discovered that Behe already accepts the basics of evolutionary theory. For example, this is located on p.176 if you have your copy handy: "I believe the evidence strongly supports common descent." He doesn't really bother defending that statement, and just leaves it hanging, so most of the creationist fans who bought the book, likely glossed right over it.

But the full implications of accepting common descent of life on Earth means that all life on Earth is physically connected, and there is only one tree of life. And the gaps in the the fossil record which we hear so much about, are gaps in the record, not in the tree of life. Since Behe claims that there are "irreducibly complex" changes that could not occur through natural selection, but require some sort of divine hand, this would make him a theistic evolutionist, not a creationist! Now, do I really have to read his follow-up book too?

Old 07-05-2012, 09:22 AM
painted wolf Offline
Religion: Native American
Title:Grey Muzzle
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason: For the knowledge, research and effort you put into your posts. Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 1673
painted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much larger
painted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much larger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krok View Post
Michael Behe thinks that astrology is "science".

It has also been found by both the scientific community and by the courts that ID is not science.

Why do you want people to give a scientific reply to a religious blog?

Anyway, Michael Behe has been shown, in court, under oath, to be talking nonsense and twisting the truth. By a scientist with better credentials than Michael Behe on this subject. You really should read more.
To be fair to Dr. Behe... I don't think he thinks that astrology is science. He admitted that changing the rules to allow teaching ID would also allow teaching astrology. Thus ID and astrology are as scientifically valid as each other.

IMHO, He knows that ID isn't scientifically valid... it's faith based. But, it's also his main source of income and his personal obsession... His reputation is staked on it. I'm also sure that he actually believes he can make ID scientific.

wa:do
Old 07-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Revoltingest Offline
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of 40,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 40,000 posts - Issue reason: For 40 x 1,000 posts. Or 4 times 10,000 posts, or. . . anyway you slice it, that's a lot of posts!! Congrats Rev!! 

Revoltingest is a frubal receptacleRevoltingest is a frubal receptacleRevoltingest is a frubal receptacleRevoltingest is a frubal receptacleRevoltingest is a frubal receptacleRevoltingest is a frubal receptacleRevoltingest is a frubal receptacleRevoltingest is a frubal receptacle

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted wolf View Post
To be fair to Dr. Behe... I don't think he thinks that astrology is science. He admitted that changing the rules to allow teaching ID would also allow teaching astrology. Thus ID and astrology are as scientifically valid as each other.
Methinks you're too charitable to ID. Astrology is at least
amenable to the scientific method, since it is testable.
Even palmistry & phrenology beat ID in this respect.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:52 AM
painted wolf Offline
Religion: Native American
Title:Grey Muzzle
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason: For the knowledge, research and effort you put into your posts. Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 1673
painted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much larger
painted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much larger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoltingest View Post
Methinks you're too charitable to ID. Astrology is at least
amenable to the scientific method, since it is testable.
Even palmistry & phrenology beat ID in this respect.
Ah, but the claims of ID have been tested on several occasions... which is why every example of "Irreducible complexity" has been disproved in short order.

But yes, the key argument of ID is untestable and thus less scientific than astrology, phrenology or palmistry. In that I was being way to charitable... won't happen again.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:56 AM
Revoltingest Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted wolf View Post
Ah, but the claims of ID have been tested on several occasions... which is why every example of "Irreducible complexity" has been disproved in short order.
But yes, the key argument of ID is untestable and thus less scientific than astrology, phrenology or palmistry. In that I was being way to charitable... won't happen again.
I have noticed that you suppress your vicious side more than is healthy.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:54 PM
Bob Dixon Offline
Religion: Christian, non-dual
Title:Not sure if Gnostic...

Frubals: 134
Bob Dixon wonders whether 'frubal face' is an insultBob Dixon wonders whether 'frubal face' is an insultBob Dixon wonders whether 'frubal face' is an insult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revoltingest View Post
I have noticed that you suppress your vicious side more than is healthy.
I just started frequenting these Evolution/Science Debate forums.
I think that her vicious side is being manifested in me. Some of the things I read here just make me want to explode.