Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Religious Debates / Evolution Vs. Creationism
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2010, 01:10 PM
Big_TJ Offline
Religion: agnostic
Title:Junior Member

Frubals: 36
Big_TJ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatland View Post
The creationist's understanding of Evolution is non-existent. Kinda like their fairy tale.
So I guess you cannot argue against it, then?
Old 12-30-2010, 01:12 PM
Big_TJ Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
I've never met anyone opposed to evolutionary theory who has actually demonstrated even a basic understanding of what it is.
This is EXACTLY what this thread will prove!
Old 12-30-2010, 01:15 PM
Big_TJ Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ73 View Post
But theory is not fact. We use reason to imagine how things might be and apply science to try to prove or disprove. Have not all great theories started in the mind of scientists? The take the known facts and think ( or imagine) how it could tie into the things we don;t yet know and we continue to look for proof. Once the proof is established we THEN have facts.
umm . . . should I start a thread marked "Creationist, what is your understanding of the "Scientific Method"?
Old 12-30-2010, 01:26 PM
outhouse Offline
Religion: atheisticly
Title:Magnificent Member
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts 

Frubals: 497
outhouse wants to start a magazine called 'Fruballing Today'outhouse wants to start a magazine called 'Fruballing Today'outhouse wants to start a magazine called 'Fruballing Today'outhouse wants to start a magazine called 'Fruballing Today'outhouse wants to start a magazine called 'Fruballing Today'outhouse wants to start a magazine called 'Fruballing Today'outhouse wants to start a magazine called 'Fruballing Today'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_TJ View Post
umm . . . should I start a thread marked "Creationist, what is your understanding of the "Scientific Method"?
you will have a blank and empty thread.

I have not witnesssed one with a clue
Old 12-30-2010, 01:48 PM
Breathe Offline
Title:Taking a break, again.
Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason: For your exceptional and original contributions to the forum Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts!! Congrats Carl!! 

Frubals: 1630
Breathe comes from a planet that was invaded by an army of frubals and is fearful of the same here on Earth
Breathe comes from a planet that was invaded by an army of frubals and is fearful of the same here on EarthBreathe comes from a planet that was invaded by an army of frubals and is fearful of the same here on EarthBreathe comes from a planet that was invaded by an army of frubals and is fearful of the same here on EarthBreathe comes from a planet that was invaded by an army of frubals and is fearful of the same here on EarthBreathe comes from a planet that was invaded by an army of frubals and is fearful of the same here on EarthBreathe comes from a planet that was invaded by an army of frubals and is fearful of the same here on EarthBreathe comes from a planet that was invaded by an army of frubals and is fearful of the same here on EarthBreathe comes from a planet that was invaded by an army of frubals and is fearful of the same here on Earth

Quote:
But theory is not fact.
Ahhh, but as 9-10ths (I think it was him, apologies if not!) said before:

Scientific theory = Layman's fact
Scientific hypothesis = Layman's theory

Gravity and relativity are still "theories"--even though one does not see much argument against gravity.

To creationists, all I suppose I can say is [added so TJ73 doesn't think I'm singling her out ]:

There is plenty of evidence for evolution out there, and I've seen some of them for myself (not that I have ever denied evolution, although I did Poe once. ) - check out the "London underground mosquito", search for "culex pipiens molestus evolve" or something.

Link here.

A major problem that many who do not understand evolution have with it is simply that they misunderstand what it is and how it happens. Some people, for example, seem to have the idea that one day a lizard gives birth to an egg from which comes a chicken, or a toad turns into a human and stuff, but this is not it at all.

I would suggest to any "anti-evolutionist" to read up on what it actually is.

Evolution is a Fact and a Theory
Introduction to Evolutionary Biology
Five Major Misconceptions about Evolution

Another major problem is many creationists seem to think evolution and God have to be at odds. This is not true: I believe in God, and I accept evolution as fact - and that's not the theistic evolution either some believe in, either. No "guided evolution" for me, just, pure chaos, and I don't think that affects my spirituality one iota.

Just my two cents.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:11 PM
LuisDantas Online!
Religion: Ath/Agn, Buddhist
Title:Aura of atheification
Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: For your exceptional work at helping to make this a better forum Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats Luis! I'll bet at least half were in the reports forum. 

Frubals: 1349
LuisDantas yells at frubals in the back seat to cut it our or we're turning the car around right now
LuisDantas yells at frubals in the back seat to cut it our or we're turning the car around right nowLuisDantas yells at frubals in the back seat to cut it our or we're turning the car around right nowLuisDantas yells at frubals in the back seat to cut it our or we're turning the car around right nowLuisDantas yells at frubals in the back seat to cut it our or we're turning the car around right nowLuisDantas yells at frubals in the back seat to cut it our or we're turning the car around right nowLuisDantas yells at frubals in the back seat to cut it our or we're turning the car around right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatland View Post
The creationist's understanding of Evolution is non-existent. Kinda like their fairy tale.
That is often enough true, but it can change. That is why this thread exists, after all.

Click here to read and make suggestions for the glossary of Dharmic terms that I am compiling. See the links on the second post.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:13 PM
LuisDantas Online!
Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: For your exceptional work at helping to make this a better forum Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats Luis! I'll bet at least half were in the reports forum. 

LuisDantas yells at frubals in the back seat to cut it our or we're turning the car around right now
LuisDantas yells at frubals in the back seat to cut it our or we're turning the car around right nowLuisDantas yells at frubals in the back seat to cut it our or we're turning the car around right nowLuisDantas yells at frubals in the back seat to cut it our or we're turning the car around right nowLuisDantas yells at frubals in the back seat to cut it our or we're turning the car around right nowLuisDantas yells at frubals in the back seat to cut it our or we're turning the car around right nowLuisDantas yells at frubals in the back seat to cut it our or we're turning the car around right now

Quote:
I understand it to be the construct in which God has created. A determined amount of material and outcomes. Life building up to its current form, mailable to ride on the current of changing conditions. A creation with potentials. There are numerous ways the conditions can change, movement of the earths plates, other environmental changes and a means of life adapting to those changes, the means(DNA) being part of the design by the Creator.
Sorry, but I'm not certain I understood you. Are you saying that you accept the ToE, but don't believe that life wasn't created by the Will of God?

Click here to read and make suggestions for the glossary of Dharmic terms that I am compiling. See the links on the second post.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:35 PM
TJ73 Offline
Religion: God help me

Frubals: 100
TJ73 added a shed out back to store more frubalsTJ73 added a shed out back to store more frubals

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisDantas View Post
Sorry, but I'm not certain I understood you. Are you saying that you accept the ToE, but don't believe that life wasn't created by the Will of God?
Yes I do. I know the fact that I believe in God is ridiculous to some of you. No problem, but please don't discount my intelligence. I wasn't arguing that TOE has not been proven. It is obvious and I am not under the naive impression that it means monkey will eventually become people. I am aware of the simultaneous existence of other hominids along with homo sapiens. I know we were not Neanderthals at one time. I am fully able to grasp the rather simple and elegant process of natural selection. I just happen to believe that this process had an intelligent originator, one that caste out the fundamental elements of the process and is aware of all potentials.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:41 PM
LuisDantas Online!

Quote:
Yes I do. I know the fact that I believe in God is ridiculous to some of you.
Not to me, for whatever it is worth. It is with some conceptions of what God is like and how his Will supposed acts that I have a problem.

Quote:
No problem, but please don't discount my intelligence. I wasn't arguing that TOE has not been proven. It is obvious and I am not under the naive impression that it means monkey will eventually become people. I am aware of the simultaneous existence of other hominids along with homo sapiens. I know we were not Neanderthals at one time. I am fully able to grasp the rather simple and elegant process of natural selection. I just happen to believe that this process had an intelligent originator, one that caste out the fundamental elements of the process and is aware of all potentials.
Then I am glad that I asked. Seems that some people may have jumped the gun while answering you. Then again, I don't think you are part of the target group that this thread was created for.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:47 PM
TJ73 Offline
Religion: God help me

Frubals: 100
TJ73 added a shed out back to store more frubalsTJ73 added a shed out back to store more frubals

thank you. I appreciate your understanding of what I said. What group is the target?