Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Theological Concepts / Deism
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2010, 08:46 AM
Rainbow Mage Offline
Religion: Agnostic
Title:Learner
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts. Congrats! 

Frubals: 782
Rainbow Mage categorically denies any involvement in setting your frubals on fireRainbow Mage categorically denies any involvement in setting your frubals on fireRainbow Mage categorically denies any involvement in setting your frubals on fireRainbow Mage categorically denies any involvement in setting your frubals on fireRainbow Mage categorically denies any involvement in setting your frubals on fireRainbow Mage categorically denies any involvement in setting your frubals on fireRainbow Mage categorically denies any involvement in setting your frubals on fireRainbow Mage categorically denies any involvement in setting your frubals on fireRainbow Mage categorically denies any involvement in setting your frubals on fire
Default Classical Deism vs Modern Deism

I just wanted to make a thread about this, since I am somewhat influenced by classical Deist thought. What are some of the differences you can think of right off your head between classical and modern Deism? I'll wait a bit to post my ideas about it.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:05 AM
tumbleweed41 Offline
Religion: Agnostic Deist/UU
Title:Resident Liberal Hippie
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: Excellent work, fair, level-headedness Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats Gary! 

Frubals: 1325
tumbleweed41 yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'
tumbleweed41 yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'tumbleweed41 yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'tumbleweed41 yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'tumbleweed41 yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'tumbleweed41 yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'tumbleweed41 yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'

Classical Deism seems to me to be a belief in Natures God, that is, a designing God who used natural law to design and move creation in a certain direction. Miracles and reveled revelation are not only unnecessary, but irrational. Yet God still had a somewhat interventionist hand in human affairs.
As in "When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation. We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."
Classical Deism sees the necessity of God as the "First Cause" or "Prime Mover" behind all of Creation.

Modern Deism, at least for me, admits that both the lack of known physical laws beyond our universe and the apparent spontaneity of nature at the quantum level show that no first cause is necessary. Rather than rationalizing a belief in a God, my version of Modern Deism concedes that all that occurs in our universe is guided by natural law without any need for the divine.
A truly reasonable Modern Deist should be able to see that his belief in God is based purely on faith, without any dogmatic disregard for advancements in scientific knowledge of the workings of the universe.

Living in harmony with reality.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:09 AM
Rainbow Mage Offline
Religion: Agnostic
Title:Learner
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts. Congrats! 

Frubals: 782
Rainbow Mage categorically denies any involvement in setting your frubals on fireRainbow Mage categorically denies any involvement in setting your frubals on fireRainbow Mage categorically denies any involvement in setting your frubals on fireRainbow Mage categorically denies any involvement in setting your frubals on fireRainbow Mage categorically denies any involvement in setting your frubals on fireRainbow Mage categorically denies any involvement in setting your frubals on fireRainbow Mage categorically denies any involvement in setting your frubals on fireRainbow Mage categorically denies any involvement in setting your frubals on fireRainbow Mage categorically denies any involvement in setting your frubals on fire

Couldn't it be said that Classical Deists also asserted that one could have a relationship with God to a certain extent? They seemed to rule out that God had revealed any religions, but at the same time, didn't rule out that God could communicate with a person individually.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:14 AM
tumbleweed41 Offline
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: Excellent work, fair, level-headedness Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats Gary! 

tumbleweed41 yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'tumbleweed41 yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'tumbleweed41 yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'tumbleweed41 yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'tumbleweed41 yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'tumbleweed41 yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosef1986 View Post
Couldn't it be said that Classical Deists also asserted that one could have a relationship with God to a certain extent? They seemed to rule out that God had revealed any religions, but at the same time, didn't rule out that God could communicate with a person individually.
Yes, this was asserted by many Deists at the time. And still is on many deist websites.
Personally, I see this as a highly unlikely supernatural event.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:52 AM
Religion: Scientific Pantheist
Title:Senior Member

Frubals: 80
St Giordano Bruno hates having to clean up after all these frubalsSt Giordano Bruno hates having to clean up after all these frubals

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbleweed41 View Post
Modern Deism, at least for me, admits that both the lack of known physical laws beyond our universe and the apparent spontaneity of nature at the quantum level show that no first cause is necessary. Rather than rationalizing a belief in a God, my version of Modern Deism concedes that all that occurs in our universe is guided by natural law without any need for the divine.
A truly reasonable Modern Deist should be able to see that his belief in God is based purely on faith, without any dogmatic disregard for advancements in scientific knowledge of the workings of the universe.
Isn't that modern Deism similar in many respects to scientific pantheism? How would it differ from Voltaire's Deism?

Last edited by St Giordano Bruno; 10-27-2010 at 05:00 AM..
Old 10-27-2010, 07:57 AM
tumbleweed41 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Giordano Bruno View Post
Isn't that modern Deism similar in many respects to scientific pantheism? How would it differ from Voltaire's Deism?
Can't speak for all Modern Deists, but for me, God exist outside of time and space. And I doubt that God is able to interact with our universe directly. To be able to do so would seem to me to be a violation of the Laws that came into existence the moment time and space appeared immediately after the Big Bang.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:14 PM
geofra Offline
Religion: Keeping my eyes open.
Title:Slow, but I get there.

Frubals: 1248
geofra bores visitors with stories and photographs of this vast frubal collection
geofra bores visitors with stories and photographs of this vast frubal collectiongeofra bores visitors with stories and photographs of this vast frubal collectiongeofra bores visitors with stories and photographs of this vast frubal collectiongeofra bores visitors with stories and photographs of this vast frubal collectiongeofra bores visitors with stories and photographs of this vast frubal collection

Could it be said that the concept of deity in classical deism is informed by Christianity and, to a slight extent, Judaism, whereas the concept of deity in modern deism is informed by a more diverse group of religions?
Old 11-05-2010, 07:52 AM
tumbleweed41 Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
Could it be said that the concept of deity in classical deism is informed by Christianity and, to a slight extent, Judaism,
I would say that would be a fair assessment of the Classical Deism of the Enlightenment Age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
whereas the concept of deity in modern deism is informed by a more diverse group of religions?
Not so sure about that as I hold to no concept of God other than God exists, and that this existence, being outside of our Universe and the Laws that govern it, is indescribable and incomprehensible.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Herr Heinrich Offline
Religion: Nature
Title:Student of Mythology

Frubals: 143
Herr Heinrich writes cutesy love poems to frubals, dotting every 'i' with a little happy faceHerr Heinrich writes cutesy love poems to frubals, dotting every 'i' with a little happy faceHerr Heinrich writes cutesy love poems to frubals, dotting every 'i' with a little happy face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senedjem View Post

Can one not have a personal relationship with the Earth and Nature?
Old 01-07-2011, 04:37 AM
conrad beckman Offline
Religion: modern deist
Title:Non-Theist

Frubals: 10
conrad beckman says, ''Zay 'ello to my little frubalz!

Classical deists seem much less tolorant than modern deists.