Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Everything But the Kitchen Sink / General Discussion / Current Events
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-06-2014, 11:44 PM
Skwim's Avatar
Skwim Online!
Religion: Agnostic
Title:Prolific Member
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts. Congrats Skwim. 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: US of A
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,219
Frubals: 769
Skwim wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallSkwim wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallSkwim wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallSkwim wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallSkwim wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallSkwim wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallSkwim wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallSkwim wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallSkwim wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too small
Default "The decline of biblical literalism and the rise of secularism"


"America could be experiencing a decline of literalism and the rise of secularism, according to one interpretation
of a recent Gallup Poll.

The poll, which measured Americans’ beliefs about the Bible, found that 28 percent of Americans believe
the Bible is the literal word of God — close to the lowest point ever found in the survey. About 40 percent of
Americans said the same thing in the late 1970s.




Meanwhile, about one in five Americans view the Bible in secular terms, described in the poll as ancient “fables,
legends, history, and moral precepts recorded by man.” This was up from 10 percent in the late 1970s.

About half (47 percent) of Americans continue to say the Bible is the “inspired” word of God not to be taken
literally, which has remained relatively stable over time.
"
source


So, what do you attribute this thirty-year shift to secularism to?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-06-2014, 11:49 PM
psychoslice's Avatar
psychoslice Offline
Religion: I have no religion
Title:Uber Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Australia
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,618
Frubals: 161
psychoslice isn't quite sure why frubals always leave a ring in the tubpsychoslice isn't quite sure why frubals always leave a ring in the tubpsychoslice isn't quite sure why frubals always leave a ring in the tubpsychoslice isn't quite sure why frubals always leave a ring in the tub
Default

That's great news, we seem to be growing up.
__________________
Religion has nothing to do with formality. Religion is rebellion; it is the spirit of rebellion. Rebellion of the individual. Rebellion of the soul. Osho

Last edited by psychoslice; 06-07-2014 at 07:57 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-07-2014, 02:19 AM
Pegg's Avatar
Pegg Offline
Religion: Jehovah's Witness
Title:Hallowed Member
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For contributing 10,000 posts! 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: australia
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,800
Frubals: 382
Pegg suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalsPegg suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalsPegg suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalsPegg suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalsPegg suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalsPegg suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubals
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwim View Post

"America could be experiencing a decline of literalism and the rise of secularism, according to one interpretation
of a recent Gallup Poll.

The poll, which measured Americans’ beliefs about the Bible, found that 28 percent of Americans believe
the Bible is the literal word of God — close to the lowest point ever found in the survey. About 40 percent of
Americans said the same thing in the late 1970s.




Meanwhile, about one in five Americans view the Bible in secular terms, described in the poll as ancient “fables,
legends, history, and moral precepts recorded by man.” This was up from 10 percent in the late 1970s.

About half (47 percent) of Americans continue to say the Bible is the “inspired” word of God not to be taken
literally, which has remained relatively stable over time.
"
source


So, what do you attribute this thirty-year shift to secularism to?
the theory of evolution would be playing some part in this....

but its also a fulfilment of bible prophecy to see a decline in a godly world view. according to Jesus prophecy of the 'last days' we read:

Matt 24:12 and because of the increasing of lawlessness the love of the greater number will cool off.


A love of God has certainly 'cooled off' among this generation. People used to be more religious and more inclined to participate in religion...but these days we see more and more turning away from religion. There could be many reasons for that, but one that Jesus mentioned is 'lawlessness'...as people become less and less respectful of authority, they become less inclined to submit themselves to the laws of anyone let alone God.

Its just a sign of the times imo.
__________________
Isaiah 2:2 "...the mountain of the house of Jehovah will become firmly established...and to it all the nations must stream" BIBLE STUDY
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-07-2014, 05:40 PM
Skwim's Avatar
Skwim Online!
Religion: Agnostic
Title:Prolific Member
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts. Congrats Skwim. 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: US of A
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,219
Frubals: 769
Skwim wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallSkwim wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallSkwim wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallSkwim wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallSkwim wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallSkwim wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallSkwim wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallSkwim wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallSkwim wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too small
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegg View Post
the theory of evolution would be playing some part in this....

but its also a fulfilment of bible prophecy to see a decline in a godly world view. according to Jesus prophecy of the 'last days' we read:

Matt 24:12 and because of the increasing of lawlessness the love of the greater number will cool off.


A love of God has certainly 'cooled off' among this generation. People used to be more religious and more inclined to participate in religion...but these days we see more and more turning away from religion. There could be many reasons for that, but one that Jesus mentioned is 'lawlessness'...as people become less and less respectful of authority, they become less inclined to submit themselves to the laws of anyone let alone God.

Its just a sign of the times imo.
So what do you see as a significant "increase of lawlessness"? And what are you comparing it to?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-07-2014, 05:45 PM
Lvcifer Invictvs's Avatar
Religion: Gnostic Luciferianism
Title:Et Ducit Mundum Per Luce
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts. Congrats! 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,340
Frubals: 797
Lvcifer Invictvs has no idea what to do in case the frubal alarm goes offLvcifer Invictvs has no idea what to do in case the frubal alarm goes offLvcifer Invictvs has no idea what to do in case the frubal alarm goes offLvcifer Invictvs has no idea what to do in case the frubal alarm goes offLvcifer Invictvs has no idea what to do in case the frubal alarm goes offLvcifer Invictvs has no idea what to do in case the frubal alarm goes offLvcifer Invictvs has no idea what to do in case the frubal alarm goes offLvcifer Invictvs has no idea what to do in case the frubal alarm goes offLvcifer Invictvs has no idea what to do in case the frubal alarm goes off
Default

I hardly see that as a "shift to secularism" because the majority (when compared to the results of the other choices) still take the more moderate view (as do I). As a Christian, I think complete Biblical literalism is nutty. But I disagree with the other option, too.
__________________
Our bodies are prisons for our souls. Our skin and blood, the iron bars of confinement. But fear not. All flesh decays. Death turns all to ash. And thus, death frees every soul.


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-07-2014, 07:41 PM
Quintessence's Avatar
Quintessence Offline
Religion: Neopagan
Title:The Elementalist
Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: For your hard work as a moderator. 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Midwestern USA
Gender: Undisclosed
Posts: 8,383
Frubals: 987
Quintessence is finding it increasingly difficult to control the frubal tantrumsQuintessence is finding it increasingly difficult to control the frubal tantrumsQuintessence is finding it increasingly difficult to control the frubal tantrumsQuintessence is finding it increasingly difficult to control the frubal tantrumsQuintessence is finding it increasingly difficult to control the frubal tantrumsQuintessence is finding it increasingly difficult to control the frubal tantrumsQuintessence is finding it increasingly difficult to control the frubal tantrumsQuintessence is finding it increasingly difficult to control the frubal tantrumsQuintessence is finding it increasingly difficult to control the frubal tantrums
Default

A decline in Biblical literalism - a phenomena that was/is a relatively modern approach to sacred texts found most commonly in very specific sects/traditions of Christianity - is not indicative of a rise in secularism. It's indicative of a decline in Biblical literalism. I think they're mistaken to equate that last option with "secularism." It really isn't.
__________________
If we've learned something or gained understanding of others' points of view, then I've accomplished my goal.

"What is real is that which we need to believe exists in order that we might function."
Emma Restall Orr

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-07-2014, 07:53 PM
Daemon Sophic's Avatar
Daemon Sophic Offline
Religion: Agnostic
Title:Avatar in flux
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Right here.
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,189
Frubals: 142
Daemon Sophic writes cutesy love poems to frubals, dotting every 'i' with a little happy faceDaemon Sophic writes cutesy love poems to frubals, dotting every 'i' with a little happy faceDaemon Sophic writes cutesy love poems to frubals, dotting every 'i' with a little happy face
Default

Just an FYI. The King James Version uses the word "iniquity" instead of "lawlessness", suggesting wickedness, sinfulness, and/or impropriety.

As for the poll....I see it as a sign of hope. Similar to Psychoslice's impression, more and more people recognizing such writings for their true nature is a healthy sign of maturity in the general population.
__________________
Militant Agnostic. I don't know.......and neither do you.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-07-2014, 08:32 PM
Pegg's Avatar
Pegg Offline
Religion: Jehovah's Witness
Title:Hallowed Member
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For contributing 10,000 posts! 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: australia
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,800
Frubals: 382
Pegg suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalsPegg suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalsPegg suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalsPegg suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalsPegg suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalsPegg suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubals
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwim View Post
So what do you see as a significant "increase of lawlessness"? And what are you comparing it to?
lawlessness in terms of Gods laws.

As people turn away from religion, religious laws become less observable among people.

When people were more guided by the bible, they practiced sexual morality whereas today we see such morals are less evident. Its become quite normal to live together before marriage, extramarital affairs, divorce, homosexuality are all more acceptable and prevalent as people move away from biblical standards.

Even the belief in God is less common...this in itself is a lawlessnss.
__________________
Isaiah 2:2 "...the mountain of the house of Jehovah will become firmly established...and to it all the nations must stream" BIBLE STUDY

Last edited by Pegg; 06-07-2014 at 08:35 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-08-2014, 01:20 PM
Skwim's Avatar
Skwim Online!
Religion: Agnostic
Title:Prolific Member
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts. Congrats Skwim. 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: US of A
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,219
Frubals: 769
Skwim wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallSkwim wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallSkwim wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallSkwim wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallSkwim wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallSkwim wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallSkwim wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallSkwim wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallSkwim wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too small
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon Sophic View Post
Just an FYI. The King James Version uses the word "iniquity" instead of "lawlessness", suggesting wickedness, sinfulness, and/or impropriety.
And the following use "lawlessness."
Matt 24:12

English Standard Version

And because lawlessness will be increased, the love of many will grow cold.

New American Standard Bible

"Because lawlessness is increased, most people's love will grow cold.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
Because lawlessness will multiply, the love of many will grow cold.

International Standard Versio
n
and because lawlessness will increase, the love of many people will grow cold.

NET Bible
and because lawlessness will increase so much, the love of many will grow cold.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
And because there will be more and more lawlessness, most people's love will grow cold.

Jubilee Bible 2000
And because lawlessness shall abound, the charity of many shall wax cold.

Darby Bible Translation
and because lawlessness shall prevail, the love of the most shall grow cold;
Now what? Well the "what" is that one can pick and choose whichever version best fits their needs, which is the neat thing about the Bible.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-08-2014, 03:12 PM
Daemon Sophic's Avatar
Daemon Sophic Offline
Religion: Agnostic
Title:Avatar in flux
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Right here.
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,189
Frubals: 142
Daemon Sophic writes cutesy love poems to frubals, dotting every 'i' with a little happy faceDaemon Sophic writes cutesy love poems to frubals, dotting every 'i' with a little happy faceDaemon Sophic writes cutesy love poems to frubals, dotting every 'i' with a little happy face
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwim View Post
And the following use "lawlessness."
.....
......
Now what? Well the "what" is that one can pick and choose whichever version best fits their needs, which is the neat thing about the Bible.
...and also a very good indication of WHY many people don't follow literalism. Because they recognize the Bible to be just another book, adapted, editted, printed and advertised by human beings; not slowly descending from heaven within a pillar of light onto their bookshelf.
__________________
Militant Agnostic. I don't know.......and neither do you.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:47 PM.


Copyright © ReligiousForums.com

SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.