Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Everything But the Kitchen Sink / General Discussion / Current Events
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Religion: Its Complicated Lol
Title:Do you 'know' or believe?

Frubals: 239
InformedIgnorance likes to be fruballed from behindInformedIgnorance likes to be fruballed from behindInformedIgnorance likes to be fruballed from behindInformedIgnorance likes to be fruballed from behindInformedIgnorance likes to be fruballed from behind

It would be like billboards targeting homosexuals saying "You know it's a mistake, and you have a choice"
Old 03-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Me Myself Offline
Religion: what?
Title:Back to my username
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For contributing 10,000 amazing posts! 

Frubals: 927
Me Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual size

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedIgnorance View Post
It would be like billboards targeting homosexuals saying "You know it's a mistake, and you have a choice"
1st- I honestly donīt think itīs that bad of a billboard. I mean, it has the right to be there and be as wrong as it is. People can ignore. But then, the counter billboard would be equally allowed: "You know itīs okay to be gay!"

2nd- the billboards didnīt target the theists but the closet atheists that feel hated or alone because of all the rest of community and people making them feel it is wrong to be an atheist (and thinking they will suffer eternally for it). Likewise, it forces this kind of intolerant people to accept atheism as an legaly acceptable belief with as much right to be as their beliefs .

I say more billborads like this should exist, because there are far more people trying to deny the rights of atheists and treating the atheist wrong for who they are than the other way around.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:21 PM

InformedIgnorance likes to be fruballed from behindInformedIgnorance likes to be fruballed from behindInformedIgnorance likes to be fruballed from behindInformedIgnorance likes to be fruballed from behindInformedIgnorance likes to be fruballed from behind

It targets those that currently call themselves theists in an attempt to find those amongst them that are having difficulty with their faith... some would call that predatory
Old 03-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Me Myself Offline
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For contributing 10,000 amazing posts! 

Me Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual size

Quote:
It targets those that currently call themselves theists in an attempt to find those amongst them that are having difficulty with their faith... some would call that predatory
Didnīt penguin put on a link saying that it targeted closet atheists?

I donīt know "predatory", quite honestly, itīs just an ad. If you are not interested, it wonīt change your mind at all. Ads are not made to change oneīs mind, they are made to remember you something (I tell you that because I study advertising) or at LEAST give you an emotional directive towards something.

In this case the ad would be a completely ineffective way of seeking converts. That doesnīt make it immoral or rude though.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:26 PM
waitasec Offline
Religion: irrelevantist
Title:BANNED
Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: For getting 20,000 Posts 

Frubals: 489
waitasec is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotwaitasec is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotwaitasec is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotwaitasec is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotwaitasec is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotwaitasec is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotwaitasec is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lot

Quote:
I agree that those billboards are offensive - heck I even said earlier that those 'Jesus Saves' billboards could potentially be seen as offensive since they imply that non believers NEED to be saved.
however, i don't see anyone protesting these billboards, do you?

i do see these protests however
Atheist Billboard to Protest Pennsylvania's 'Year of the Bible', Christian News

i googled
atheists protesting religious billboards

and this is what turned up

atheists protesting religious billboards - Google Search
Old 03-05-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Myself View Post
Didnīt penguin put on a link saying that it targeted closet atheists?
And what are closet atheists? Oh yeah that's right, theists (and agnostics) who are experiencing difficulties with their faith.

Quote:
I donīt know "predatory", quite honestly, itīs just an ad. If you are not interested, it wonīt change your mind at all. Ads are not made to change oneīs mind, they are made to remember you something (I tell you that because I study advertising) or at LEAST give you an emotional directive towards something.
Emotional directive... as in it DOES provide direction, and for someone who is having problems with their faith, this is more likely to lead them towards the direction you want them to go, hence it helps sway those who are questioning, so it can 'change' minds. The fact that it only really effects those who are at such a point of questioning their faith is what makes it predatory (striking while their faith is weakened)

Quote:
In this case the ad would be a completely ineffective way of seeking converts. That doesnīt make it immoral or rude though.
Personally I do not find it offensive either; that said, it could readily be construed as such - particularly given that it uses the word 'myth' (with all its negative connotations) to describe what many people consider to be divine truth, integral to their understanding of themselves and reality itself.

Lol, well atheists do not really seem to concern themselves with complaining about billboards, instead they target the things that have a higher priority, such as the well established religious influences within areas that are supposed to be religiously neutral, such as prayer in schools and so forth.... when you compare the battles that atheists have against theistic influence on them, there are so many with much higher priority; on the other hand theists only have relatively few areas where there is real atheistic influence on them with a much lower level of priority... so their efforts can be directed against useless things like billboards; particularly when you factor in the fact that there are more theists than atheists, allowing their complaints to be heard more easily.

Last edited by InformedIgnorance; 03-05-2012 at 07:42 PM..
Old 03-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Sunstone Offline
Religion: Podium Pounding
Title:De Diablo Del Fora
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: Link Exchange project Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason:  Shield of 50,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 50,000 posts - Issue reason: That's enough to fill a book! Congratulations! 

Frubals: 7182
Sunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nest
Sunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nest

Quote:
And what are closet atheists? Oh yeah that's right, theists (and agnostics) who are experiencing difficulties with their faith.
No, that's not correct. A closeted atheist is an atheist who has not come out to others as an atheist.

Certainty is a mind killer -- Debater Slayer

The most precious thing in life is its uncertainty. -- Kenko

It has always surprised me how little attention philosophers have paid to humor, since it is a more significant process of mind than reason. Reason can only sort out perceptions, but the humor process is involved in changing them. -- Edward de Bono
Old 03-05-2012, 07:44 PM

In which case there is no need to tell them it is a myth is there? Since they already believe that. No, that is clearly directed at theists who are questioning their beliefs.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Me Myself Offline

Quote:
In which case there is no need to tell them it is a myth is there? Since they already believe that. No, that is clearly directed at theists who are questioning their beliefs.
Think a little bit more. Itīs not about informing them it is a myth, it is about informing them they are not alone in "knowing" such, and that knowing it "being" it (atheist) is okay.

I agree, it is not very good in this as another Iīve seen (which was more specific about the subject of "you are not alone" ) but it still counts.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:50 PM
waitasec Offline
Religion: irrelevantist
Title:BANNED
Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: For getting 20,000 Posts 

Frubals: 489
waitasec is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotwaitasec is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotwaitasec is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotwaitasec is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotwaitasec is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotwaitasec is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotwaitasec is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lot

Quote:
so???