Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Comparative Religion
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2008, 11:12 AM
Dunemeister Offline
Religion: Eastern Orthodox
Title:Theist

Frubals: 393
Dunemeister was arrested for trying to claim frubals as tax deductionsDunemeister was arrested for trying to claim frubals as tax deductionsDunemeister was arrested for trying to claim frubals as tax deductionsDunemeister was arrested for trying to claim frubals as tax deductionsDunemeister was arrested for trying to claim frubals as tax deductionsDunemeister was arrested for trying to claim frubals as tax deductions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott1 View Post
The "oldest" form of Christianity is not a Church, but a way of life.......

The oldest church is the universal church ... found today in both the Orthodox and Roman Catholic traditions.
And Lutheran, and Anglican, and Prebyterian, and Methodist, and Nazarene, and CME, and....
Beauty is the beginning and end of all true knowledge: really to know anything, one must first love, and having known one must finally delight; only this "corresponds" to the trinitarian love and delight that creates.
- David Bentley Hart, The Beauty of the Infinite, 132
Old 08-31-2008, 11:14 AM
Scott1 Offline
Religion: Maronite Catholic
Title:Theist
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 993
Scott1 refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicScott1 refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicScott1 refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicScott1 refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicScott1 refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicScott1 refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicScott1 refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicScott1 refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicScott1 refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in public

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunemeister View Post
And Lutheran, and Anglican, and Prebyterian, and Methodist, and Nazarene, and CME, and....
Well, no.... I certainly respect your right to believe this, but the Church made it quite clear very early on with the Donatists that this is not the case.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:28 PM
spearman Offline
Title:BANNED

Frubals: 44547
spearman says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!spearman says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!spearman says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!spearman says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!spearman says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!spearman says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!spearman says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!spearman says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!
spearman says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!spearman says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!spearman says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!spearman says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!spearman says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!spearman says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!spearman says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!spearman says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!

Thanks for all the replies, I was reading somewhere, sorry cant remember the source, but may worth further investigation the "Syrian catholic church" may have the best claim for the oldest.Someone else may know alot more about that than my self but anyway thanks for the comments and discussion very interesting
Old 09-05-2008, 01:33 PM
Mjolnir Offline
Religion: A wanderer
Title:Sophmore Member

Frubals: 25
Mjolnir is the leader of a covert group of mutant frubals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunemeister View Post
I do not understand how these churches can be considered the oldest when they broke off from other groups much later on. If it is a matter of only apostolic succession the Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic Churches are the only ones that can make the claim of unbroken apostolic succession, are they not?
Old 09-05-2008, 04:42 PM
*Paul* Offline
Religion: Christian
Title:Jesus loves you

Frubals: 191
*Paul* thinks frubals are the most fun you can have without a goat and some Jello*Paul* thinks frubals are the most fun you can have without a goat and some Jello*Paul* thinks frubals are the most fun you can have without a goat and some Jello*Paul* thinks frubals are the most fun you can have without a goat and some Jello

I would say that it's the church who's doctrine and practice most closely mirrors that found in the acts and epistles. I do not know of anyone denomination that fully matches up but I find groups and individuals in many of the denominations that come close. But remember even the first church with all their superior knowledge of the original languages (obviously), having the orignal scriptures and learning first hand off the apostles was not a perfect one and had to be corrected in each epistle to them and from Christ Himself in the book of Revelation. There never was a perfect church yet that had it all right but they were still called saints for their faith and life.
Psalms 83:18 That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Quiddity Offline
Religion: Catholic
Title:UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by the award committee and is well deserved. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: 10000 posts 

Frubals: 1249
Quiddity bores visitors with stories and photographs of this vast frubal collection
Quiddity bores visitors with stories and photographs of this vast frubal collectionQuiddity bores visitors with stories and photographs of this vast frubal collectionQuiddity bores visitors with stories and photographs of this vast frubal collectionQuiddity bores visitors with stories and photographs of this vast frubal collectionQuiddity bores visitors with stories and photographs of this vast frubal collection

The idea that the Church is something that subsides primarily or solely in the inner, invisible, spiritual entity of those who are in fact in Christ by virtue of them properly understanding the Bible or happen to be the ones that “get it”, is not just preposterous but it fails by mere use of reason, history, and lastly the Scriptures themselves don’t support such a thing.

The Church is not just an invisible/spiritual entity. The Church has always been revealed as an objective and subjective entity. I just can’t see how anyone reading Christian history can see it otherwise. Unless of course it excuses them from even reading what early Christians had to say.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Orontes Offline
Religion: LDS
Title:Master of the Horse

Frubals: 82
Orontes hates having to clean up after all these frubalsOrontes hates having to clean up after all these frubals

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearman View Post
Yea like the title says, in your much more educated opinion what would it be. RCC, Eastern orthodox or some other church I have never heard of? To me and its only my opinion this would help alot in my search for the real thing. Would the true and historical Church please stand up. Thanks for your answers and opinions, and the reason I put it in this forum, is I dont think its so easy to answer, and opinions may vary. But please answer and post your opionion
There are some (myself included) that hold that primitive Christianity has not survived, but was replaced and changed into something else.

Other opinions would argue that the Church is found in: The Roman Catholic Church, Eastern Orthodoxy, or Oriental Orthodoxy. Which of these has the most viable claim would depend on which stance one holds to for the schisms that divided them: the schism of 453 over the Council of Chalcedon that divided Oriental Orthodoxy (miaphysites) from Eastern/Roman Catholics (dyophysites). Then there is the schism of 1054 between Patriarchy of Rome and the East. The key issue here would be about where lies Apostolic Succession, Papal Supremacy and the role of councilarism in determining the true.

Another possible option is to consider those forms of Christianity that predate the Imperial phase of the Church i.e. prior to the Council of Nicea (325). This would include Arian groups and other Origenist movements within Christian Thought. There are also the Gnostic Branches of Christianity that existed in the Early Centuries of the Church. All of these groups are held as heresies by the Churches noted in the paragraph above. Even so, any study of the oldest forms of Christianity must consider those early forms that were defeated.

Last edited by Orontes; 09-05-2008 at 06:32 PM..
Old 09-05-2008, 08:50 PM
ChristineES Offline
Religion: Follower of Yeshua
Title:Tiggerism
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason: Your peers have nominated you for the kindness award, and it's well deserved. Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: For your work as a mod. Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: For reaching 20,000 posts. Congratulations, Christine! 

Frubals: 2272
ChristineES wonders why you would EVER question a frubalChristineES wonders why you would EVER question a frubal
ChristineES wonders why you would EVER question a frubalChristineES wonders why you would EVER question a frubalChristineES wonders why you would EVER question a frubalChristineES wonders why you would EVER question a frubalChristineES wonders why you would EVER question a frubal

The earliest form of Christianity would be what the 12 Apostles had. They were Jews.

Sheriff Worf says, "Watch out, my finger is loaded"
Old 09-05-2008, 09:34 PM
Jeremy Mason Offline
Religion: Christian
Title:Esteemed Member

Frubals: 511
Jeremy Mason advises you to just act natural, because frubals can sense fearJeremy Mason advises you to just act natural, because frubals can sense fearJeremy Mason advises you to just act natural, because frubals can sense fearJeremy Mason advises you to just act natural, because frubals can sense fearJeremy Mason advises you to just act natural, because frubals can sense fearJeremy Mason advises you to just act natural, because frubals can sense fearJeremy Mason advises you to just act natural, because frubals can sense fearJeremy Mason advises you to just act natural, because frubals can sense fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineES View Post
The earliest form of Christianity would be what the 12 Apostles had. They were Jews.
Exactly! Frubals
Old 09-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Clear Offline
Religion: Convert to LDS
Title:Junior Member

Frubals: 74
Clear is a Frubal WhoreClear is a Frubal Whore

1) I had not thought to take part in this discussion but I thought ChristineES’ observation was very clever and simply thought to offer a friendly amendment to it.

ChristineES proffered:
Quote:
If the early literature such as Conflict of Adam and Eve is correct, and Adam, after his fall, was informed that a Savior would come to perform the redemption for men, then the original religion taught to Adam, was a form of Christianity.

Though both Jews and Christians read the same words in the Old Testament, Christianity interprets the Old Testament symbolism and teachings as a form of Christianity; and interpret the Law of Moses as a "Schoolmaster" type of law which was intended to point their minds forward to the future advent of a Saviour.

2) Also, I must agree with those who’ve observed that the Roman Church does not not represent the original Church of Jesus Christ.

For example, I do NOT believe that the Roman Churches Bishops were EVER given the Authority of Apostles from any of the original Apostles of Jesus. I do not believe that the Roman Christian Church was more authoritative than it’s sister Christian churches in Antioch, or Jerusalem, or Constantinople, Corinth, etc. (the several versions of the spurious "Clement letters" notwithstanding)

I believe that if any of the other early Christian Churches ( Antioch; Jerusalem; Constantinople, Corinth, etc) of the post-apostolic era had "won out" in the political battle for pre-eminence over the Roman Church, the Church now called "the Catholic Church" would have been far different than the modern version of the early Roman Christian church.

Clear
ei-ne-fu

Last edited by Clear; 09-06-2008 at 04:27 PM..