Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Comparative Religion
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 05:53 PM
Vinayaka Online!
Religion: Saiva Hindu
Title:devotee
Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason: For being an excellent representative of your faith Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats Vinayaka ! 

Frubals: 791
Vinayaka is passing around petitions to legalize frubal marriageVinayaka is passing around petitions to legalize frubal marriageVinayaka is passing around petitions to legalize frubal marriageVinayaka is passing around petitions to legalize frubal marriageVinayaka is passing around petitions to legalize frubal marriageVinayaka is passing around petitions to legalize frubal marriageVinayaka is passing around petitions to legalize frubal marriageVinayaka is passing around petitions to legalize frubal marriageVinayaka is passing around petitions to legalize frubal marriage
Default retention rates

Inspired from another thread ... if born into a particular faith, will it continue into adulthood? Take a guess before looking.

Religious retention rates
Old 04-28-2013, 06:03 PM
Tarheeler Online!
Religion: Judaism
Title:Just Jewish

Frubals: 487
Tarheeler is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotTarheeler is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotTarheeler is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotTarheeler is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotTarheeler is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotTarheeler is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotTarheeler is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lot

My guess was in line with the report.

I think it has to do with the fact that some religions include much more than just theology. Those that also have a strong ethnic or cultural identity can still provide a connection to those who might otherwise leave.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:10 PM
dawny0826 Offline
Title:Theist
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason: Your peers have nominated you for the kindness award, and it's well deserved. Tolerance Award:  - Issue reason: Your peers have nominated you for the tolerance award, and it's well deserved. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 amazing posts! 

Frubals: 1718
dawny0826 was accused of market manipulation for arranging complex, untraceable frubal swaps to sham corporations overseas
dawny0826 was accused of market manipulation for arranging complex, untraceable frubal swaps to sham corporations overseasdawny0826 was accused of market manipulation for arranging complex, untraceable frubal swaps to sham corporations overseasdawny0826 was accused of market manipulation for arranging complex, untraceable frubal swaps to sham corporations overseasdawny0826 was accused of market manipulation for arranging complex, untraceable frubal swaps to sham corporations overseasdawny0826 was accused of market manipulation for arranging complex, untraceable frubal swaps to sham corporations overseasdawny0826 was accused of market manipulation for arranging complex, untraceable frubal swaps to sham corporations overseasdawny0826 was accused of market manipulation for arranging complex, untraceable frubal swaps to sham corporations overseasdawny0826 was accused of market manipulation for arranging complex, untraceable frubal swaps to sham corporations overseas

I would be curious to see how these statistics look over the course of another 10-30 years. Interesting.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:50 AM
drakek Offline
Title:BANNED

Frubals: 10
drakek says, ''Zay 'ello to my little frubalz!

10 to 30 years is a long time.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:54 AM
dyanaprajna2011 Offline
Religion: Buddhism
Title:Dharmapala
Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason: For your original threads and posts over the years. 

Frubals: 530
dyanaprajna2011 is saving for surgery to lift these saggy frubalsdyanaprajna2011 is saving for surgery to lift these saggy frubalsdyanaprajna2011 is saving for surgery to lift these saggy frubalsdyanaprajna2011 is saving for surgery to lift these saggy frubalsdyanaprajna2011 is saving for surgery to lift these saggy frubalsdyanaprajna2011 is saving for surgery to lift these saggy frubalsdyanaprajna2011 is saving for surgery to lift these saggy frubalsdyanaprajna2011 is saving for surgery to lift these saggy frubals

The only one that really surprises me is the atheist category.

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum.../buddhism.html A group for Buddhists or anyone interested in Buddhism!
Old 05-03-2013, 01:28 PM
Quintessence Offline
Religion: Neopagan
Title:The Elementalist
Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: For your hard work as a moderator. 

Frubals: 948
Quintessence didn't know until it was too late that frubals shrivel up if they get coldQuintessence didn't know until it was too late that frubals shrivel up if they get coldQuintessence didn't know until it was too late that frubals shrivel up if they get coldQuintessence didn't know until it was too late that frubals shrivel up if they get coldQuintessence didn't know until it was too late that frubals shrivel up if they get coldQuintessence didn't know until it was too late that frubals shrivel up if they get coldQuintessence didn't know until it was too late that frubals shrivel up if they get coldQuintessence didn't know until it was too late that frubals shrivel up if they get coldQuintessence didn't know until it was too late that frubals shrivel up if they get cold

I'm familiar with the original studies from PEW, so I am not surprised by any of it. Old news. Conversion is extremely common in the United States. I think the report this article pulled it from had the overall figure at around... 55% or thereabouts.

"What is real is that which we need to believe exists in order that we might function."
Emma Restall Orr

Old 05-03-2013, 02:18 PM
Dena Offline
Religion: Jewish
Title:Tree Hugger

Frubals: 41
Dena has much to be proud of

I actually thought the retention rates for Christians would be higher. Maybe that's my own experience shining through, also the fact that they break it down by denomination. If you were raised Baptist and then join a Pentecostal church, I'd say you haven't switched faiths. You just attend at a different place.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:40 PM
Sunstone Offline
Religion: Podium Pounding
Title:De Diablo Del Fora
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: Link Exchange project Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason:  Shield of 50,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 50,000 posts - Issue reason: That's enough to fill a book! Congratulations! 

Frubals: 7189
Sunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nest
Sunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nest

I wonder if the low rate of retention for atheists might have to do with a reluctance among atheists to tell their children what they should or should not believe. I've known a few atheists who do tell their children in no uncertain terms what they expect their children to believe, but I know far more atheists who tell their children that they must decide for themselves what to believe. In short, does the low retention rate reflect a tendency on the part of atheists to refuse to indoctrinate their kids? I might guess based on my own experience that it does, but I have no real idea whether it does or doesn't since personal experience is notoriously unreliable in such matters.

Certainty is a mind killer -- Debater Slayer

The most precious thing in life is its uncertainty. -- Kenko

It has always surprised me how little attention philosophers have paid to humor, since it is a more significant process of mind than reason. Reason can only sort out perceptions, but the humor process is involved in changing them. -- Edward de Bono
Old 05-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Penumbra Offline
Religion: Philosophy
Title:Administrator
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason: For careful and thorough articulation of your thoughts in your posts over the years. Shield of The Renaissance Woman: Awarded to a real polymath, a person with many talents or interests who contributes greatly to a wide range of discussions and debates - Issue reason: For your knowledge and understanding of a wide variety of topics through the years. Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason: For your excellent knowledge on a variety of different topics Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: Valuable contributions to the forum as a staff member. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For contributing 10,000 posts! SPECIAL AWARD:Shield of the Thinker: Awarded for the remarkable ability to ponder carefully and think critically about all subjects they encounter - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 1117
Penumbra promises to still respect your frubals in the morning
Penumbra promises to still respect your frubals in the morningPenumbra promises to still respect your frubals in the morningPenumbra promises to still respect your frubals in the morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinayaka View Post
Inspired from another thread ... if born into a particular faith, will it continue into adulthood? Take a guess before looking.

Religious retention rates
I guessed before clicking that Jews would have the highest retention rates, but they were only second.

This poll is based on people in the U.S., so I think the #1 spot for Hindus on the list and the #3 spot for Muslims are due to demographics in this country rather than something inherent in the beliefs compared to the others. Elements of Christianity are common throughout the U.S., whereas a significant chunk (not all; a subset) of Hindus and Muslims answering this poll are people that have immigrated to the country within the last generation or two.

I would certainly expect that an Indian Hindu family that comes to the U.S. will most likely remain Hindu and that their children would still likely identify as Hindu. In my high school, it is not an exaggeration to say that every Indian student was acquainted with every other Indian student. Minority groups in most environments would tend to be more close-knit, and the adherence to a religion is coupled with cultural identity.

Similarly, a Pakistani Muslim family that comes to the U.S. will most likely remain Muslim and their children would still likely identify as Muslim.

As far as this poll is concerned, that puts these two beliefs in particular at an advantage compared to Christian denominations or other religions or lack of religions. If a Christian American person discards her religion and tries out Buddhism or just goes with atheism/agnosticism/none, then that's usually less of a cultural shift than if an Indian daughter of a Hindu immigrant discards Hinduism and converts to Christianity or becomes an atheist or something. There's an implication there of not just leaving the religion, but leaving the culture.

It would be interesting to see statistics in other countries, like how do Christian/Muslim retention rates compare in Egypt or Christian/Hindu retention rates compare in India, to how they compare in the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstone View Post
I wonder if the low rate of retention for atheists might have to do with a reluctance among atheists to tell their children what they should or should not believe. I've known a few atheists who do tell their children in no uncertain terms what they expect their children to believe, but I know far more atheists who tell their children that they must decide for themselves what to believe. In short, does the low retention rate reflect a tendency on the part of atheists to refuse to indoctrinate their kids? I might guess based on my own experience that it does, but I have no real idea whether it does or doesn't since personal experience is notoriously unreliable in such matters.
It's interesting what the word choice in the article was:

"The group with the worst performance in transmitting their beliefs to their young people is atheists (30%)."

It presupposes that atheists as a group are attempting to transmit their lack of beliefs to their children and then not performing well at that supposed goal.

If I had a kid, the last thing I'd ever want to do is transmit a belief to her. If I was insistent on transmitting something, it would be critical thinking skills and thoughtful ethics.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:53 AM
fallingblood Offline
Religion: Christian
Title:Agnostic Theist
Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 449
fallingblood gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openfallingblood gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openfallingblood gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openfallingblood gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openfallingblood gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openfallingblood gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openfallingblood gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth open

One problem with the statistics. They separate Christianity into a variety of "religions." The problem with this is that the retention rate as a whole is quite a bit higher. Often, Christians will move from one denomination to another though for a variety of reasons, but they don't leave the faith.