Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Comparative Religion
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 11:40 PM
Klerkie Offline
Religion: Daoist/Taoism
Title:Freshman Member

Frubals: 13
Klerkie will work for frubals
Default Slight Confusion

I have been thinking about the concept that everything must come from something, and the Abrahamic God. Can someone please help explain to me how if everything came from something, where did God come from?
Old 01-21-2013, 12:35 AM
Pastadamus Offline
Title:BANNED

Frubals: 16
Pastadamus gives frubals to the homeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klerkie View Post
I have been thinking about the concept that everything must come from something, and the Abrahamic God. Can someone please help explain to me how if everything came from something, where did God come from?
I think that's where the whole idea of "God" breaks down. If God can't be created, then God must create itself. And if God has to create itself, who's to say that universe can't spontaneously come into existence. And since Time as we know it begins with the Big Bang, there is really no need to account for what was before the Big Bang since there is no way of defining the events before it.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:04 AM
Breathe Offline
Title:Taking a break, again.
Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason: For your exceptional and original contributions to the forum Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts!! Congrats Carl!! 

Frubals: 1630
Breathe comes from a planet that was invaded by an army of frubals and is fearful of the same here on Earth
Breathe comes from a planet that was invaded by an army of frubals and is fearful of the same here on EarthBreathe comes from a planet that was invaded by an army of frubals and is fearful of the same here on EarthBreathe comes from a planet that was invaded by an army of frubals and is fearful of the same here on EarthBreathe comes from a planet that was invaded by an army of frubals and is fearful of the same here on EarthBreathe comes from a planet that was invaded by an army of frubals and is fearful of the same here on EarthBreathe comes from a planet that was invaded by an army of frubals and is fearful of the same here on EarthBreathe comes from a planet that was invaded by an army of frubals and is fearful of the same here on EarthBreathe comes from a planet that was invaded by an army of frubals and is fearful of the same here on Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastadamus View Post
I think that's where the whole idea of "God" breaks down. If God can't be created, then God must create itself. And if God has to create itself, who's to say that universe can't spontaneously come into existence. And since Time as we know it begins with the Big Bang, there is really no need to account for what was before the Big Bang since there is no way of defining the events before it.
So if there is no way of defining events before it, why attempt to define events before the formation of the universe to a divinity?
Old 01-21-2013, 05:36 AM
Shia Islam Offline
Religion: Shia Islam
Title:Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.

Frubals: 147
Shia Islam is called 'Da Frubalmesiter' by dorky friendsShia Islam is called 'Da Frubalmesiter' by dorky friendsShia Islam is called 'Da Frubalmesiter' by dorky friends

Quote:
Let us assume that you are K,
You were created by K1,
K1 was created by K2
Kn was created by K(n+1)

Lets say that GOD is K(n+1),
if we to assume that something has created K(n+1), then this means that there is an infinite loop, which means that you does not exist.

But since you DO exist, this means that K(n+1), I mean GOD is the final cause.

Informing Centre of Religious Beliefs:
http://www.religioninform.com/

Like us on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/religioninform

Follow us on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/religioninform
Old 01-21-2013, 05:49 AM
LuisDantas Online!
Religion: Ath/Agn, Buddhist
Title:Aura of atheification
Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: For your exceptional work at helping to make this a better forum Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats Luis! I'll bet at least half were in the reports forum. 

Frubals: 1349
LuisDantas yells at frubals in the back seat to cut it our or we're turning the car around right now
LuisDantas yells at frubals in the back seat to cut it our or we're turning the car around right nowLuisDantas yells at frubals in the back seat to cut it our or we're turning the car around right nowLuisDantas yells at frubals in the back seat to cut it our or we're turning the car around right nowLuisDantas yells at frubals in the back seat to cut it our or we're turning the car around right nowLuisDantas yells at frubals in the back seat to cut it our or we're turning the car around right nowLuisDantas yells at frubals in the back seat to cut it our or we're turning the car around right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shia Islam View Post
if we to assume that something has created K(n+1), then this means that there is an infinite loop, which means that you does not exist.

But since you DO exist, this means that K(n+1), I mean GOD is the final cause.
Except that even in everyday situations such a model is a bit too simplistic. Very few situations have exactly one cause.

And then there is the assumption that everything must have a cause of some sort.

It is far more natural and more elegant to just accept that existence "exists" and we don't really have an explanation or cause for that.

Click here to read and make suggestions for the glossary of Dharmic terms that I am compiling. See the links on the second post.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:47 AM
Jayhawker Soule Offline
Religion: Judaism
Title:Extraordinary Member
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason: For thorough research in regards to different topics through the years. Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason: For your valuable contributions to the forum over the years. Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: For over 20,000 posts. Congrats Jay.  :) 

Frubals: 3464
Jayhawker Soule had to get shots after being bitten by a rogue frubalJayhawker Soule had to get shots after being bitten by a rogue frubalJayhawker Soule had to get shots after being bitten by a rogue frubal
Jayhawker Soule had to get shots after being bitten by a rogue frubalJayhawker Soule had to get shots after being bitten by a rogue frubalJayhawker Soule had to get shots after being bitten by a rogue frubalJayhawker Soule had to get shots after being bitten by a rogue frubalJayhawker Soule had to get shots after being bitten by a rogue frubalJayhawker Soule had to get shots after being bitten by a rogue frubalJayhawker Soule had to get shots after being bitten by a rogue frubal

Quote:
The idea that "everything must come from something" is, at best, shorthand for "everything in nature must come from something," the inference being that a First Cause must necessarily be preternatural.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:54 AM
savagewind Offline
Religion: I believe Yehoshua
Title:slap happy
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats! And sorry this took so long. 

Frubals: 384
savagewind suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalssavagewind suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalssavagewind suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalssavagewind suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalssavagewind suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalssavagewind suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubals

Some people say the universe came from nothing with one a big bang. Maybe God came from a big bang and recreated God's own existence with another big bang but instead of getting a friend God got us.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:59 AM
LuisDantas Online!
Religion: Ath/Agn, Buddhist
Title:Aura of atheification
Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: For your exceptional work at helping to make this a better forum Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats Luis! I'll bet at least half were in the reports forum. 

Frubals: 1349
LuisDantas yells at frubals in the back seat to cut it our or we're turning the car around right now
LuisDantas yells at frubals in the back seat to cut it our or we're turning the car around right nowLuisDantas yells at frubals in the back seat to cut it our or we're turning the car around right nowLuisDantas yells at frubals in the back seat to cut it our or we're turning the car around right nowLuisDantas yells at frubals in the back seat to cut it our or we're turning the car around right nowLuisDantas yells at frubals in the back seat to cut it our or we're turning the car around right nowLuisDantas yells at frubals in the back seat to cut it our or we're turning the car around right now

Wouldn't that mean that the Big Bang is a more transcendental creator than God, though?

Click here to read and make suggestions for the glossary of Dharmic terms that I am compiling. See the links on the second post.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:16 AM
savagewind Offline
Religion: I believe Yehoshua
Title:slap happy
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats! And sorry this took so long. 

Frubals: 384
savagewind suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalssavagewind suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalssavagewind suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalssavagewind suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalssavagewind suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalssavagewind suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubals

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisDantas View Post
Wouldn't that mean that the Big Bang is a more transcendental creator than God, though?

I wouldn't say transcendental because that implies intelligence. I never heard of an explosion being "intelligent" but maybe they're working on it. Would it be considered by some as more worthy than Yahweh to be worshiped?
Yes it would but it's long gone. ie it doesn't exist anymore.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:18 AM
Quintessence Offline
Religion: Neopagan
Title:The Elementalist
Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: For your hard work as a moderator. 

Frubals: 987
Quintessence is finding it increasingly difficult to control the frubal tantrumsQuintessence is finding it increasingly difficult to control the frubal tantrumsQuintessence is finding it increasingly difficult to control the frubal tantrumsQuintessence is finding it increasingly difficult to control the frubal tantrumsQuintessence is finding it increasingly difficult to control the frubal tantrumsQuintessence is finding it increasingly difficult to control the frubal tantrumsQuintessence is finding it increasingly difficult to control the frubal tantrumsQuintessence is finding it increasingly difficult to control the frubal tantrumsQuintessence is finding it increasingly difficult to control the frubal tantrums

Quote:
When I took a basic philosophy of religion class in undergrad (which really should have been called "philosophy of classical monotheism" but whatever), that this god-concept has no cause itself is part of what makes it, by definition, god. A root definition of god is that god is fundamentally greater. The First Cause that, in of itself, is not caused is fundamentally greater, as it is the originator of all else, therefore the uncaused cause is god. It's a philosophical argument; Aquinas I believe? I forget. Undergrad was a while ago for me now. Some of the resources on the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy may be of use to you in learning about these ideas.

"What is real is that which we need to believe exists in order that we might function."
Emma Restall Orr

Tags
existance, god