Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Comparative Religion
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2012, 04:10 AM
teeta01 Offline
Title:Freshman Member

Frubals: 12
teeta01 will work for frubals
Question Islam : The LARGEST 'practiced' faith of the world?

Well hi ,

So which is the largest "practiced" faith of the world? Numerically , Christianity is number one...but does it hold most influence on the globe? I think not.

I think that Islam has now become the largest practiced faith of the globe. Whereever Islam exists , it plays a central role in the society. Even secular Turks are very practicing Muslims generally. On the other hand , Christianity in the Europe is almost a dead religion. No one really cares about it or its teachings. Westerners are 'least practicing' people , according to the Gallop Survey on religiosity.

Even Adherents.com says that they have no reason to reject the assertion that there are more practicing Muslims than practicing Christians..

See the result of the comprehensive gallop survey on religiosity.

Almost enitre Islamic World is "most practicing" or "more practicing" , while almost entire West is "least practicing" or "less practicing" ..which means either agnostics or non-practicing cultural followers...

Also , even in the West , Muslims are way more practicing than Christians. There are way more 'practicing Muslims' by % than practicing Christians in most Western countries

For example , in countries like France , there are more practicing Muslims than Christians (Hudson institute)

http://www.realnewsreporter.com/?p=7...source=message

So in the light of all these facts , I think that today , Islam is the most influential religion of mankind ...

It has become the largest practiced global faith of the planet...

What is your say on this?

Last edited by teeta01; 08-13-2012 at 07:38 PM..
Old 08-13-2012, 04:15 AM
Madhuri Offline
Religion: Bhagavad Gita
Title:RF Goddess
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason:  Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason: For being an excellent representative of your religious path. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts! Congrats Malini :) 

Frubals: 1305
Madhuri names frubals individually and then lists them as 'friends' on social networking sites to appear more popular
Madhuri names frubals individually and then lists them as 'friends' on social networking sites to appear more popularMadhuri names frubals individually and then lists them as 'friends' on social networking sites to appear more popularMadhuri names frubals individually and then lists them as 'friends' on social networking sites to appear more popularMadhuri names frubals individually and then lists them as 'friends' on social networking sites to appear more popularMadhuri names frubals individually and then lists them as 'friends' on social networking sites to appear more popularMadhuri names frubals individually and then lists them as 'friends' on social networking sites to appear more popular

I agree that it is the most practiced.

But in terms of influence I think Christianity still has the most cultural influence.

Chaitanya Mahaprabhu
Old 08-13-2012, 05:17 AM
mycorrhiza Offline
Religion: Doctor Who
Title:Ukulele player

Frubals: 96
mycorrhiza dreams of one day opening a frubal grooming salonmycorrhiza dreams of one day opening a frubal grooming salon

You would need to define 'practicing'. Where do we draw the line between practicing and non-practicing? Is a Muslim who celebrates Muslim holidays, but doesn't regularly do salah or keep halal diet practicing? Is a Christian who prays every night, but only goes to church on Christian holidays practicing?

Old 08-13-2012, 05:35 AM
Jayhawker Soule Online!
Religion: Judaism
Title:Extraordinary Member
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason: For thorough research in regards to different topics through the years. Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason: For your valuable contributions to the forum over the years. Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: For over 20,000 posts. Congrats Jay.  :) 

Frubals: 3466
Jayhawker Soule had to get shots after being bitten by a rogue frubalJayhawker Soule had to get shots after being bitten by a rogue frubalJayhawker Soule had to get shots after being bitten by a rogue frubal
Jayhawker Soule had to get shots after being bitten by a rogue frubalJayhawker Soule had to get shots after being bitten by a rogue frubalJayhawker Soule had to get shots after being bitten by a rogue frubalJayhawker Soule had to get shots after being bitten by a rogue frubalJayhawker Soule had to get shots after being bitten by a rogue frubalJayhawker Soule had to get shots after being bitten by a rogue frubalJayhawker Soule had to get shots after being bitten by a rogue frubal

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeta01 View Post
So in the light of all these facts , I think that today , Islam is the most influential religion of mankind ...
Therefore?
Old 08-13-2012, 05:38 AM
HonestJoe Offline
Religion: None
Title:Senior Member

Frubals: 135
HonestJoe is a ship on a sea of frubals.  Like the Titanic, only not sunk yet.HonestJoe is a ship on a sea of frubals.  Like the Titanic, only not sunk yet.HonestJoe is a ship on a sea of frubals.  Like the Titanic, only not sunk yet.

I suspect different people have different opinions on what constitutes practicing a religion. I'm not convinced going through the daily motions out of habit is a measure of true devotion.

The influence of a religion is not necessarily directly proportional to the number of people practicing it (by any definition). It's not necessarily the most devoted practitioners of a religion that have the wider influence anyway.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:16 AM
SLAMH Offline
Religion: ISLAM
Title:Sophmore Member

Frubals: 46
SLAMH yanked your frubals the wedgie of their lives last night, so they may be a little limpy

I'm not sure if Muslims practice their religions more than Christians, but what I'm sure about is that Muslims are more sensitive when it comes to their religion. I have friends from different religious background and I don't see any reason to suggest that Muslims practice their religions more than any other groups.

"Satisfying people is a Desire that will never be fulfilled"
Old 08-13-2012, 06:22 AM
Quintessence Offline
Religion: Neopagan
Title:The Elementalist
Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: For your hard work as a moderator. 

Frubals: 991
Quintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicQuintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicQuintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicQuintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicQuintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicQuintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicQuintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicQuintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in publicQuintessence refuses to remove those frubals from your nose in public

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycorrhiza View Post
You would need to define 'practicing'. Where do we draw the line between practicing and non-practicing? Is a Muslim who celebrates Muslim holidays, but doesn't regularly do salah or keep halal diet practicing? Is a Christian who prays every night, but only goes to church on Christian holidays practicing?
Agreed.

Then again, I'm also not convinced that passing anyone's arbitrarily determined test of "practicing X" is necessarily meaningful or reflective of the territory.

"What is real is that which we need to believe exists in order that we might function."
Emma Restall Orr

Old 08-13-2012, 07:36 AM
Vinayaka Offline
Religion: Saiva Hindu
Title:devotee
Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason: For being an excellent representative of your faith Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats Vinayaka ! 

Frubals: 859
Vinayaka makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messageVinayaka makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messageVinayaka makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messageVinayaka makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messageVinayaka makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messageVinayaka makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messageVinayaka makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messageVinayaka makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messageVinayaka makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal message

This is an impossible argument either way, and all around. Since most religions adhere to some notion that religion needs to be adhered to in every action, not just in the external rituals, or in 'service to humanity', there is no way to judge. Somebody can hum a hymn of a song, or a prayer, while they are working, totally missing out that their work itself is a religious duty, as others might depend on that for a living. So who is to say who is being the religious one, the guy humming a prayer, or the guy purposely forgetting to hum a prayer in the service to others.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:58 AM
tumbleweed41 Offline
Religion: Agnostic Deist/UU
Title:Resident Liberal Hippie
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: Excellent work, fair, level-headedness Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats Gary! 

Frubals: 1327
tumbleweed41 yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'
tumbleweed41 yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'tumbleweed41 yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'tumbleweed41 yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'tumbleweed41 yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'tumbleweed41 yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'tumbleweed41 yells at fast food clerks, 'No, I want FRUBALS with that!'

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeta01 View Post

It has become the largest practiced global faith of the planet...

What is your say on this?
Assuming you are correct, does the number of adherents to a religious belief affect it's credibility?

Living in harmony with reality.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:34 AM
Religion: Baha'i
Title:Intrepid Member

Frubals: 70
InvestigateTruth is a Frubal WhoreInvestigateTruth is a Frubal Whore

I believe there is outwardly and inwardly practice.

Islam seems to be outwardly practiced (only the apparent), but not spiritually and inwardly.
If you look at the World of Islam, specially the East which are the Moslem Majority, and even some Governments which even use Islamic Shariah (Laws), we see that these countries are in a lot of problems. In terms of conflicts, we see different groups and sects of Islam being in conflict with each other. Sunni, Shias, Alawis, etc. We see, that even within the same country, there is a struggle between people and their own government, and also so much security problems.
Look at Pakistan, Suriah, Iran, Egypt, Iraq for instance. Their own people are seeing tyranny from their own Moslem government or other "Harsh" groups of Moslems.
If indeed these people are following the True Islam, which they believe is the Best and the Last revelation, why then so much issues? Why they are not in peace and unity? Why they have poverty issues? Why in terms of science and Technology they are lower than the Western Countries? Shouldn't practicing Islam, have the Best Fruits? Why we don't see the Good Fruits?

Last edited by InvestigateTruth; 08-13-2012 at 08:36 AM..

Tags
ahmadiyya- the true islam, spread corners of earth